Pages:
Author

Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO | bitsquare.io | cryptopia | Yobit - page 94. (Read 383407 times)

Activity: 535
Merit: 267
Why in the world would you download a wallet from a random person?
There's no excuse for that guys.
Development team doesn't have to do nothing about that to be honest. It's up to them if they want to help in current situation.

NEVER download things without scanning them. Especially in this forum. There have been way too many topics with trojans.

Whatever result devs bring, good luck. They're in a hard position right now and they are investing their own time to fix the situation.

Any malwares can be crypted then bypass all the antivirus.

The only viable solution is to do nothing.  Those that used the infected wallet and lost their coins are SOL.  Rolling back the blockchain is a terrible way to correct user ignorance.  The fact that you actually considered rolling back the blockchain is concerning.  You don't roll back the blockchain because people run an infected wallet posted by some user in the thread.  On the rare occasions where it is necessary it should only be used  due to actual technical issues with the coin.  That isn't the case here.

You don't realize.... the attacker quoted the devs then he changed the link in the quote, so many people think that it was the original link, not everybody know that we can make a yahoo.com hyperlink with a redirection on google.com

After all, if the malware is crypted you cannot detect anything using antivirus, the real problem is why bitcointalk allow user to make a Yahoo.com hyperlink able to redirect on google.com ? they are even not able to create and secure a avatar function, dudes Roll Eyes

But yes i agree, users are not 100% innocents.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
So if i lost 100000, I get back 65000?

to me it sounds like that. tbh, a pretty good deal considering it wasnt the opal teams fault at all.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
So if i lost 100000, I get back 65000?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010
Not regulating but good to see experienced users willing to be helpful to others and not just sitting in high judgement. We all had to start somewhere and we can all make mistakes. Many face slap.  Grin The Opal community and devs came out well during this.

of course, I applaud this as well, my interest is longevity of this technology (as an early investors) and I like applying blockchain idea to concepts other (or in addition to) money transfer
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
Not regulating but good to see experienced users willing to be helpful to others and not just sitting in high judgement. We all had to start somewhere and we can all make mistakes. Many face slap.  Grin The Opal community and devs came out well during this.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010
OPAL is not in the business of regulating user behavior  Cool

I think people have to get into habit of posting MD5 hash signature of wallets in the binary form and better even for ultra secure minded building wallets from github sources direct at least early adapters as we all are, later on during adaptation phase wallets will be treated as any other software and public is already educated on virus scanners and the like, I don't think it is big deal at all and I believe exhanges overreacted as they are building wallets themselves from github are in in 0 danger, it is an extra caution, maybe it is ok they overreact I am certainly not rushing to trade OPAL any time soon, way too early like years early

Activity: 149
Merit: 100
Opal the future
When the market will resume on bittrex ?

All exchanges have been contacted currently Coin-swap is the only exchange open.
legendary
When the market will resume on bittrex ?
Activity: 728
After the cleanup:

1. YOU MUST CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS.
2. Never click on a quoted link & check if the link is the same (look at the bottom left of your browser when your mouse pointer is over the link, you will find the true link)
3. Always Scan your fresh downloads.

All of this is true, especially all three of them Wink
Activity: 308
After the cleanup:

1. YOU MUST CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS.
2. Never click on a quoted link & check if the link is the same (look at the bottom left of your browser when your mouse pointer is over the link, you will find the true link)
3. Always Scan your fresh downloads.
Activity: 209
Opal Dev
Thanks bassguitarman. Do you know if Malwarebytes removes the key logger? If not, maybe a clean install of OS has to be done.  Smiley
Malewarebytes seems to have isolated the problem, but always do your best to secure you're computer and take whatever action you feel will make it as secure as possible.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Thanks bassguitarman. Do you know if Malwarebytes removes the key logger? If not, maybe a clean install of OS has to be done.  Smiley

Good cleanup routine:

Boot into safe mode after downloading all these. Then run in this order. Run rkill each boot.

Rkill: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/

TDSSKiller: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/dl/4/

ADWare Cleaner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

Junkware Removal Tool: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/

Combo Fix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/ (Do not run this from remote session. It will kill your remote control.)

After all that, still in safe boot run a full scan of Mbam: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/dl/7/

That should remove everything. Make sure to reboot between each cleaning and remove/quarantine all items. If you need assistance I am on @opalcoin nightly, EST.

Activity: 149
Opal the future
We are here to stay nothing will stop OPAL!  Shocked
Activity: 325
Merit: 255
Well done guys.

I think that was handled very well, and is likely the best outcome that could have come out of this. Was a tense few hours, but it'll be something to learn from and use to make the Opal community stronger (and won't be fooled again).
Activity: 295
Thanks bassguitarman. Do you know if Malwarebytes removes the key logger? If not, maybe a clean install of OS has to be done.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 987
Merit: 1003
Whoa, I look away for a day and all hell broke loose! Would closing source eliminate the hackers so they can't remake a wallet easily?

Glad to see that everyone understands this has nothing to do with OPAL, but everything to do with how great the DEV's are!
Activity: 728
Good move. Rollback should only be used as last resort.
ps phuck you hacker.
btw do we know if any keylogger was involved?

A keylogger was involved.
legendary
Glad to hear that !! Amazing team Smiley Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: