Pages:
Author

Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO | bitsquare.io | cryptopia | Yobit - page 98. (Read 383407 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Keeping People Honest - Don't Get Scammed
Opal has my support , i will not sell whatever happens. Rollback is the way to go and opal wil come back bigger and better.

Of course you do.  You obviously had your coins stolen.

Decentralization

Centralization
drm
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
I support opal and will remain to do so, and believe tech and community will prevail.
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
Actions need consequences. Otherwise, we're no better than bailed-out bankers.
Activity: 249
Merit: 100
Opal has my support , i will not sell whatever happens. Rollback is the way to go and opal wil come back bigger and better.
Activity: 364
I really think you guys shouldnt rollback. The odds of the hacker attacking the blockchain are very small. This is far from easy. The damage you guys are doing to Opal will eventually cause it to decline and decline and die in the end. Really sucks for me as an investor.

I also think that by far the most investors in Opal havent even seen the petition yet. Especially if they didnt lose funds. The outcome is irrelevant.
Activity: 40
How far back does the rollback go?
Activity: 252
Keeping People Honest - Don't Get Scammed
OPAL PRESS RELEASE BLOCK CHAIN ROLLBACK

Since its inception, OPAL has made significant strides to becoming a valuable asset to the cryptocoin community. An ambitious development team backed by a strong community has proven to be and will continue to be a cornerstone in the continued success of OPAL. With that being said, the OPAL team has found that a user made a malicious post within the OPAL ANN thread which included links to a manipulated version of the wallet. This wallet installs a backdoor which steals wallet.dat files from not only the OPAL wallet, but other cryptocoin wallets as well. Additionally, the user posted links to wallet downloads in other Bitcointalk threads. These downloads are also assumed to be malevolent. The hacker has stolen approximately 17% of the total OPAL coin supply, which is enough to attack the block chain. In light of this, a critical decision has been made by the community to roll back the blockchain, thereby eliminating the possibility of such an attack and to prevent further damage. The OPAL team thanks the community for acting promptly and supporting the continuing growth of OPAL.

Please remember to only download wallets from the website www.opal-coin.com or download and complie the source yourself, which is available at https://github.com/OpalCoin/OpalCoin.

If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the OPAL team at [email protected] or on the IRC channel freenode #opalcoin.

The OPAL Team

Epic Fail

Since its inception, OPAL has made significant strides to becoming a valuable asset to the cryptocoin community. An ambitious development team backed by a strong community has proven to be and will continue to be a cornerstone in the continued success of OPAL. With that being said, the OPAL team has found that a user made a malicious post within the OPAL ANN thread which included links to a manipulated version of the wallet. This wallet installs a backdoor which steals wallet.dat files from not only the OPAL wallet, but other cryptocoin wallets as well. Additionally, the user posted links to wallet downloads in other Bitcointalk threads. These downloads are also assumed to be malevolent. The hacker has stolen approximately 17% of the total OPAL coin supply, which is enough to attack the block chain. In light of this, a critical decision has been made by the community to roll back the blockchain, thereby eliminating the possibility of such an attack and to prevent further damage. The OPAL team thanks the community for acting promptly and supporting the continuing growth of OPAL.

Please remember to only download wallets from the website www.opal-coin.com or download and complie the source yourself, which is available at https://github.com/OpalCoin/OpalCoin.

If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the OPAL team at [email protected] or on the IRC channel freenode #opalcoin.

The OPAL Team

Damn. huge hit on my investment. Did the majority of people vote Yes in the petition? Since you say; 'a critical decision has been made by the community'? Can I see the results of the petition somewhere ?
Activity: 728
Merit: 500

The OPAL Team

Vote results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ufM1_g_NcOTjZm_KjjIHaz9i83OhvOLx-RrhU93Ih_w/edit?usp=sharing

It was 73-41 at time of decision
Activity: 262

The OPAL Team
Undecided maybe but at this point the damage is done this is the only way they can make it right;  bank account cards are hacked daily doesn't mean we will stop using them

What damage? The only damage that's done is to a hand full of people who installed the malicious wallet. There are big holders of coins in every other coin, 20% or more even. I dont think 1 person with 17% can and WANTS to destroy Opal. This will be a hit for Opal, but I think we, as investors,
(im a pretty large investor myself) will benefit more from no rollback.
Activity: 195
 Undecided maybe but at this point the damage is done this is the only way they can make it right;  bank account cards are hacked daily doesn't mean we will stop using them
ok, with these inputs, and as i dont see why a rollback can kill a coin.

i will vote for a rollback.

People will lose faith in Opal. If they roll back the blockchain on every issue that occurs, it will make Opal look highly centralized. The opposit is what we are all here for. P2p decentralized currency. I think a rollback will hurt Opal name & value very badly. If it happens, I can see Opal declining from 3000 satoshi to 300 satoshi in days/weeks. I really hope this doesnt happen.  Cry Like an other user said; We cant compensate for every human error. This is against the nature of P2p currency.

I really hope the majority of the people here share this opinion, and vote NO in the google doc. But again, I feel sorry for the ones who lost coins. Maybe we can start a public donation address for them?
Activity: 195
roll it back make it right,second chances are made daily this will only make opal stronger in which I support OPAL
Activity: 30
To those who were robbed, was your wallets encrypted?
Was only opal the target, or you lost other wallets too?
To the dev team, is it possible to integrate updates inwallet?
So wallet notify you about update, and either does it automatic or show the correct download link.
Not sure a rollback will do any good atm...

Some wallets were encrypted, but the malware installed keyloggers. As we researched the post, we found that the user had posted other links for other wallets. The users malware stole other wallet.dat files and logged keys. Including online accounts.

Opal's servers or source was never compromised, it was just a faked post to include the users links instead.

I think for right now we are just going to change our process for releasing new wallets. We will point the community to our website or github directly to download.

Thanks,

CoolCash
Activity: 64
Ok stanley so malwarebytes can fix it. thank you for confirming.
Activity: 308
ok, with these inputs, and as i dont see why a rollback can kill a coin.

i will vote for a rollback.
Activity: 535
Merit: 267
Stonerstanley, i had already scanned with anti malwarebytes and removed it with tha, ive also used combofix.
then i saw your post.

there is only 1 process csrss running, and i cant stop the process, denied.
the startup key isnt there either
and the dhcp wasnt there either

i assume malwarebytes took care off it?

Is possible Wink i'm going to see.

He post a Maiacoin wallet infected also.

EDIT: malwares bytes detect the malware as "Backdoor.Agent.SBFGen"
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
The hack is a very serious setback, but a rollback is certain death for OPAL. The hacker wants money, not 51% to kill OPAL

You can still get money by killing Opal as you dump (or double-spend attack) at the same time. Your logic is flawed.  Also please stop referencing 51%, that is for Proof-of-work attacks, not Proof-of-stake, which needs much less.

Reading your past posts, you sound like you either are the hacker, or know the hacker based on how hard you're fighting for him to keep his coins.

Just my own personal opinion.

they sound desperate. 100 bucks theyre the crooks.
Activity: 64
Stonerstanley, i had already scanned with anti malwarebytes and removed it with tha, ive also used combofix.
then i saw your post.

there is only 1 process csrss running, and i cant stop the process, denied.
the startup key isnt there either
and the dhcp wasnt there either

i assume malwarebytes took care off it?

Pages:
Jump to: