Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 202. (Read 1382196 times)

Activity: 422
Merit: 270
September 15, 2017, 09:02:33 PM
Thanks for the information. That 7gb is killing me though, since I was planning on testing it out with 20  gb that I have free. I'll give it a try anyway just to test it out.

This actually could be big, the problem is that it needs the same name recognition of a DropBox and Google Drive. Marketing seems like the most important part. Also it needs a way for the average user to use it the same way they use the others, with cash.

The minimal amount you can offer is 20GB, and even if you have exactly 20GB, you are not going to get any contract as you will have a very heavy penalization for low free storage (a multiplier in your score of 0.00024 in the case of 20Gb) ... I am sorry  Cry

Sia is not oriented to final costumers, but instead to enterprises and storage providers that want to use Sia as their storage layer instead of the servers of Amazon, Azure and so. Some services that accept FIAT an do all the Sia thing (exchange and protocol) in the background are being developed
Activity: 257
Merit: 252
September 15, 2017, 08:16:24 PM
I'm currently downloading this, since I have free hard drive space. I hope it doesn't download the blockchain to host space.

Edit: I need 2,000 Sia coins to host. But that's $7. Can somebody update me on the roadmap for this coin? Is hosting at the moment profitable?

You will need to download the blockchain, about 7GB. It can take longer if you use HDDs instead of SDD, but you can also do it faster with this: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain

Yes, you need a to setup some collateral as a guarantee that you will keep the files of the renters intact during the contract time (default: 13 weeks) and you'll keep a good uptime (95-97% of time required as minimal availability). 2000SC is the minimal collateral to setup, but more is needed to host a full TB. All that is returned if you are a good host

Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/Io1dDyuI/sia-public-roadmap

Hosting average prices to be competitive are about 100-150SC/Tb/month (plus some extra in bandwidth pricing). It is profitable if you have already that space available or if you can purchase cheap HDDs. For instance, if you price at $1/Tb/month and buy disks at $20/Tb you do ROI in one year and half. Good disks are prepared to be functional for 5 years or more, so it is not a bad business.

Thanks for the information. That 7gb is killing me though, since I was planning on testing it out with 20  gb that I have free. I'll give it a try anyway just to test it out.

This actually could be big, the problem is that it needs the same name recognition of a DropBox and Google Drive. Marketing seems like the most important part. Also it needs a way for the average user to use it the same way they use the others, with cash.
September 15, 2017, 07:01:24 PM
I'm currently downloading this, since I have free hard drive space. I hope it doesn't download the blockchain to host space.

Edit: I need 2,000 Sia coins to host. But that's $7. Can somebody update me on the roadmap for this coin? Is hosting at the moment profitable?

You will need to download the blockchain, about 7GB. It can take longer if you use HDDs instead of SDD, but you can also do it faster with this: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain

Yes, you need a to setup some collateral as a guarantee that you will keep the files of the renters intact during the contract time (default: 13 weeks) and you'll keep a good uptime (95-97% of time required as minimal availability). 2000SC is the minimal collateral to setup, but more is needed to host a full TB. All that is returned if you are a good host

Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/Io1dDyuI/sia-public-roadmap

Hosting average prices to be competitive are about 100-150SC/Tb/month (plus some extra in bandwidth pricing). It is profitable if you have already that space available or if you can purchase cheap HDDs. For instance, if you price at $1/Tb/month and buy disks at $20/Tb you do ROI in one year and half. Good disks are prepared to be functional for 5 years or more, so it is not a bad business.
Activity: 257
Merit: 252
September 15, 2017, 06:39:27 PM

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
September 15, 2017, 06:35:10 PM
So big correction for Bitcoin is not helping Sia. But anyway from my observation bottom is already reached, so now is the best moment to fill wallets Wink
Pump is coming Wink

Right there is blood in the streets, now is the time to buy.

Not yet, we'll see even bigger drop. Wait bit more and then buy shit ton of SIA.
 Cool

Why are you saying bigger drop
its already done with dropping and i think it hit bottom with that

131 sat at the moment, not sure we can go any lower ... I bought some few days ago, i should have waited :p
Activity: 88
September 15, 2017, 03:42:53 PM
Thers has been no race created in which Sia had been defeated.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
September 15, 2017, 02:08:41 PM
Jesus Christ. Why there is such an amount of noobs surrounding this project? Have you ever seen a market cycle in your life? I'm sorry if you FOMO'ed into SC when it was >300 SAT but we're in a depression state right now and fundamentals didn't change at all - both FA and TA suggest you to accumulate as much as you can in these prices.
my thoughts exactly! clearly, the community of Sia coin is full of weak hands that can't hold when there is a drop or even a slight price rise, what is wrong with you guys  Huh!
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 15, 2017, 12:46:12 PM
So big correction for Bitcoin is not helping Sia. But anyway from my observation bottom is already reached, so now is the best moment to fill wallets Wink
Pump is coming Wink

Not yet, we'll see even bigger drop. Wait bit more and then buy shit ton of SIA.
 Cool

Why are you saying bigger drop
its already done with dropping and i think it hit bottom with that
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
September 15, 2017, 07:03:14 AM
Jesus Christ. Why there is such an amount of noobs surrounding this project? Have you ever seen a market cycle in your life? I'm sorry if you FOMO'ed into SC when it was >300 SAT but we're in a depression state right now and fundamentals didn't change at all - both FA and TA suggest you to accumulate as much as you can in these prices.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006
September 15, 2017, 06:57:05 AM
Pump is coming Wink

Cool
Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
September 15, 2017, 06:42:02 AM
Pump is coming Wink

Activity: 266
Merit: 110
September 15, 2017, 03:15:01 AM
Won't google/amazon etc just bring their own cheap decentralised storage and customers will just stay with them when they match the price sia charges? 

Of course not. Google and amazon have VERY high fixed costs and things like that.
Sia coin cannot fall too much now because the lower it falls, the cheaper the service. This will only make sia coin skyrocket when it gains popularity for its value service!

BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Activity: 1204
September 14, 2017, 10:41:34 PM
Pump is coming Wink
Activity: 6
September 14, 2017, 08:46:54 PM
Lets hope not, I've high hopes for this project  Smiley
Activity: 5
September 14, 2017, 08:41:27 PM
I doubt it, the amount of work by the devs to get the project to this stage is staggering so not so easily reproduced. Possible they may sub contract to Sia though  Smiley Smiley
Activity: 6
September 14, 2017, 08:35:48 PM
Won't google/amazon etc just bring their own cheap decentralised storage and customers will just stay with them when they match the price sia charges? 
September 14, 2017, 06:45:59 PM
It's time to buy into this coin now. It has definitely hit rock bottom. When it soars, we'll all be billionaries!

ahah Smiley btc-eur is going so low at the moment, i might buy some more coins Smiley

yes. when SIA releases a new wallet and solves the current wallet performance issue, market will be drawn to this project like it did three months ago. Then price will soar to a very very high level!  i ecpect a rise of 7x from current level within 6 months if you do the calculatíon properly!
Activity: 50
September 14, 2017, 06:05:55 PM
It's time to buy into this coin now. It has definitely hit rock bottom. When it soars, we'll all be billionaries!

ahah Smiley btc-eur is going so low at the moment, i might buy some more coins Smiley
September 14, 2017, 11:16:28 AM
September 14, 2017, 10:46:20 AM
I heard from some one respectable that Nebulous takes some profits from the hosts, is this true? I can't find anything immediate on tho.

Not form hosts, but from the renter's money used to form the file contracts (the allowance). A 3.9% of the whole file contract cost is deducted from the allowance and paid to SiaFunds holders. SF is a second coin in the network (https://siawiki.tech/wallet/siafund). From the total 10000SF, 8851 are owned by Nebulous and the rest was sold 2 years ago in the initial IPO. As Siacoins were never strictly pre-mined (only the first 100 blocks), SFs are the only income source of Nebulous, and a tool to encourage them to work for increasing the adoption of Sia, as they will not be really profitable until the use of the network increases.
Jump to: