Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 238. (Read 1382194 times)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0
July 04, 2017, 02:01:12 AM
A bottom being set?

Greets Hank
The only true bottom is 0. Bottom for this week looks like 462 and for next week 405 if no good news comes out.

It's always been a quality project, but now is a Super Bubble:

(a) 35,000 contracts storing 185 TB (a pittance) valued at $350 million

(b) "taking on Amazon" as if Amazon is completely unaware of the modern tech

(c) solution = more shiny objects, SpaceX type program to launch 1st satellite in 2020  Cheesy

185 TB is a pittance as said earlier. I see that Burst has about almost 100 Tb staked in their ecosystem. I believe there is plenty of upside for SIA.
legendary
Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000
July 02, 2017, 09:25:23 PM
A bottom being set?

Greets Hank
The only true bottom is 0. Bottom for this week looks like 462 and for next week 405 if no good news comes out.

It's always been a quality project, but now is a Super Bubble:

(a) 35,000 contracts storing 185 TB (a pittance) valued at $350 million

(b) "taking on Amazon" as if Amazon is completely unaware of the modern tech

(c) solution = more shiny objects, SpaceX type program to launch 1st satellite in 2020  Cheesy
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 02, 2017, 01:11:46 PM
Is this season of Silicon Valley based on Sia? Cause it sounds like the same thing.  Grin

Is the ASIC miner really supposed to take a year to produce? Won't the face of crypto change drastically in a year? This reminds me of the Butterfly Labs (and other) mining hardware scams. History repeating itself?

I think this idea is really cool and I'm putting some hashpower towards it and might even try to store some pics or non-sensitive data in sia and see how it works.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 02, 2017, 09:33:15 AM
A bottom being set?

Greets Hank

Activity: 60
July 02, 2017, 06:46:26 AM
We have support so let see. Hope it holds.
Activity: 747
Merit: 253
July 02, 2017, 05:34:38 AM
A bottom being set?

Greets Hank
legendary
Activity: 1672
Merit: 1046
Here we go again
July 01, 2017, 11:40:49 PM
outchy
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
July 01, 2017, 08:19:53 PM
For the storage lending : how did you fix the differents prices ?
Is there a market ? Where can I have the actuals regular prices ?

What do you mean with "fix different prices"? The pricing for hosting storage is decided by each individual host. If the value of the token changes, hosts manually change the pricing to adjust it to dollar values. For example, top hosts are targeting at $1-2/Tb/month all the time

http://siahub.info is a database of hosts. if you click on the "Score" column title it will order the hosts according to their rank, so you can see what top hosts are pricing. Most of the new file contracts will go to the top 50 of them
July 01, 2017, 04:51:31 PM
One year is really long in the crypto world, things move so fast that we don't know how far will go Sia next year, will it be available or will it shut down. I simply can't predict how much will be the difficulty after a year but when these asics come in market things will change too much. I have purchased 285k SIA at 2.2BTC, have I made a good decision? Price has been dropped a lot now!

Sounds like to me they are going to finance the ASIC production with buyer's money, mine the coin for 6 months and run up the difficulty and make a ton of money and then ship out the used units to the purchasers. This has been a pattern, time and time again with mining hardware. That is if they ever ship anything at all. It is easy to put up a website, make fabulous claims, take people's BTC and then disappear. Just a thought, Buyers Beware

Exactly! If there would be a group buy and a trusted escrow chosen in the forum then I would participate even though it will take 1 year I would know that my money are safe.

Do you know the sia team? I do. So i have 0 doubts.

Greets, Hank

I don't, the number of people trusting them should be very low so mining 1 year and then sell the used asics isn't a good thing, is it?

Getting really disappointed with the SIA price. I'd be better off dumping them all and mining one of the other 100's of coins who's price is running relatively flat or in the green. I'd be much further ahead.

It's not just SIA, most of the coins are red now.

I don't see any of the other coins I could be mining right now dropping over 20% in value over the past 4 days except SIA.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046
July 01, 2017, 02:41:44 PM
For the storage lending : how did you fix the differents prices ?
Is there a market ? Where can I have the actuals regular prices ?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
July 01, 2017, 01:45:56 PM
One year is really long in the crypto world, things move so fast that we don't know how far will go Sia next year, will it be available or will it shut down. I simply can't predict how much will be the difficulty after a year but when these asics come in market things will change too much. I have purchased 285k SIA at 2.2BTC, have I made a good decision? Price has been dropped a lot now!

Sounds like to me they are going to finance the ASIC production with buyer's money, mine the coin for 6 months and run up the difficulty and make a ton of money and then ship out the used units to the purchasers. This has been a pattern, time and time again with mining hardware. That is if they ever ship anything at all. It is easy to put up a website, make fabulous claims, take people's BTC and then disappear. Just a thought, Buyers Beware

Exactly! If there would be a group buy and a trusted escrow chosen in the forum then I would participate even though it will take 1 year I would know that my money are safe.

Getting really disappointed with the SIA price. I'd be better off dumping them all and mining one of the other 100's of coins who's price is running relatively flat or in the green. I'd be much further ahead.

It's not just SIA, most of the coins are red now, and people have a good opportunity to invest now, these coins were never so cheap before.

Greets, Hank

I don't, the number of people trusting them should be very low so mining 1 year and then sell the used asics isn't a good thing, is it?
July 01, 2017, 01:37:42 PM
Activity: 747
Merit: 253
July 01, 2017, 12:30:58 PM
I went to their website and I'm surprised about this asic, it says 100Gh/s which is more than 100 GPUs and cost really cheap at $2.5k, I made a calculation and the ROI can be reached within 3 weeks, wanted to pre-order one but saw that they will ship before or on June 30 but in 2018 Sad

Code:
Shipping costs are $35 per unit for US/Europe/China Customers and $70 per unit for anywhere else.
Orders will ship on or before June 30, 2018.

Update: When trying to purchase: an unknown error has occurred and has been reported to the developers.

The ROI will probably be good, but not so short as 3 weeks. More probably 2-3 months. You are probably missing 2 factors:

- 1 obelisk added to the network is nothing, but if 10.000 obelisks are added, the network size will go 5x approximately, and so the difficulty. Thus, profitability will be 5 times less than today's

- Today's block reward is 190000, but in one year it will be 135000

Of course, if more than 10000 ASICs are sold, other manufacturers get there before them or second batches are delivered (while they are promising 2nd batch will never be delivered during a window of 6 weeks) the calculations will change

For the problem you are having in the purchase, I recommend you getting into the Slack or the Reddit and ask there. A lot of people had that problem too yesterday, but I think it was solved.

Greets, Hank
Activity: 420
Merit: 260
July 01, 2017, 08:02:04 AM
I went to their website and I'm surprised about this asic, it says 100Gh/s which is more than 100 GPUs and cost really cheap at $2.5k, I made a calculation and the ROI can be reached within 3 weeks, wanted to pre-order one but saw that they will ship before or on June 30 but in 2018 Sad

Code:
Shipping costs are $35 per unit for US/Europe/China Customers and $70 per unit for anywhere else.

Update: When trying to purchase: an unknown error has occurred and has been reported to the developers.

The ROI will probably be good, but not so short as 3 weeks. More probably 2-3 months. You are probably missing 2 factors:

- 1 obelisk added to the network is nothing, but if 10.000 obelisks are added, the network size will go 5x approximately, and so the difficulty. Thus, profitability will be 5 times less than today's

Of course, if more than 10000 ASICs are sold, other manufacturers get there before them or second batches are delivered (while they are promising 2nd batch will never be delivered during a window of 6 weeks) the calculations will change

For the problem you are having in the purchase, I recommend you getting into the Slack or the Reddit and ask there. A lot of people had that problem too yesterday, but I think it was solved.

Activity: 120
Forging Lisk delegate philhellmuth 35% SHARE POOL
July 01, 2017, 07:37:06 AM
VIDEO: Wild Promotion presents SIA - Truly decentralized blockchain hosting

Activity: 141
June 30, 2017, 04:46:50 PM
I think ASIC hardware will increase the coins worth a lot. People prove they thrust sia coin an put 2500 US in plus electricity.

But with this miner you can only mine SC, nothing else. For example, a bitmain antminer can mine bitcoin, zetacoin, digibyte, many more.
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
June 30, 2017, 04:03:32 PM
Well, the day here is half over and no news release yet for the remainder of the items on the website road map scheduled for release in June 2017. They must have missed the mark, but the day isn't over yet. But, I'm thinking they missed the mark. That would explain the current price and the lower prices to come over the next few weeks.

Taek has indicated they'll release the final v1.3 next Tuesday if anything else happens. Devs are very busy with the pre-reserve process of the ASIC and they are polishing some minor issues that testers of the RC2 have found, so I don't blame them for missing the mark for one week.

Frankly I don't think any trend on the market value of the coin is related to a delay on the software release. Nothing personal against speculators and "investors", but from my experience, most of them don't understand how Sia works or even what a blockchain is... So I find difficult they care about releasing or not features as "file repair" or "host pruning"  Roll Eyes
June 30, 2017, 02:01:58 PM
Well, the day here is half over and no news release yet for the remainder of the items on the website road map scheduled for release in June 2017. They must have missed the mark, but the day isn't over yet. But, I'm thinking they missed the mark. That would explain the current price and the lower prices to come over the next few weeks.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
June 30, 2017, 01:38:01 PM

Code:

June 30, 2017, 09:11:11 AM
Progress looking great.

Do you mind telling us how many developers are currently working on Sia as a full-time job?

Yes, they are quite dedicated. Check out this AMA from reddit. It was from a year ago, but it still gives you a good feel for how tight the team is: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/4o1tu4/we_are_the_sia_core_team_aua/

A year ago? You got nothing more recent than that?

You got no ability to google things yourself?  Wink

Apparently you got no ability to post anything newer than 1 year old.
Jump to: