Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 239. (Read 1382194 times)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10
June 30, 2017, 05:57:22 AM
I went to their website and I'm surprised about this asic, it says 100Gh/s which is more than 100 GPUs and cost really cheap at $2.5k, I made a calculation and the ROI can be reached within 3 weeks, wanted to pre-order one but saw that they will ship before or on June 30 but in 2018 Sad

Code:
Shipping costs are $35 per unit for US/Europe/China Customers and $70 per unit for anywhere else.
Orders will ship on or before June 30, 2018.

Update: When trying to purchase: an unknown error has occurred and has been reported to the developers.

The ROI will probably be good, but not so short as 3 weeks. More probably 2-3 months. You are probably missing 2 factors:

- 1 obelisk added to the network is nothing, but if 10.000 obelisks are added, the network size will go 5x approximately, and so the difficulty. Thus, profitability will be 5 times less than today's

- Today's block reward is 190000, but in one year it will be 135000

Of course, if more than 10000 ASICs are sold, other manufacturers get there before them or second batches are delivered (while they are promising 2nd batch will never be delivered during a window of 6 weeks) the calculations will change

For the problem you are having in the purchase, I recommend you getting into the Slack or the Reddit and ask there. A lot of people had that problem too yesterday, but I think it was solved.

It is completely crazy to buy an asic that will be delivered 1 year later. Things move too fast in this field, one year is an era.

I agree with both of you I have had same concerns in my previous posts in the thread. Good luck to those who paid for the 430 units presale so far...
Activity: 939
Merit: 256
June 30, 2017, 12:29:20 AM
No block explorer with the ability to check an address's balance is available yet. Some independent devs are working on that.

In the meantime, just use the Sia client to check it

Good to hear somebody is working on upgrading the block explorer to add address searching. Problem with using the Sia client is it's a disadvantage for  storing siafund tokens in a cold wallet , and checking the 3.9% fee payments for your address is important. I've got a couple of siafunds in a cold wallet, and I've absolutely no idea how many sia coins they've generated in fees yet.
Activity: 1015
Merit: 289
June 29, 2017, 07:00:39 PM
I went to their website and I'm surprised about this asic, it says 100Gh/s which is more than 100 GPUs and cost really cheap at $2.5k, I made a calculation and the ROI can be reached within 3 weeks, wanted to pre-order one but saw that they will ship before or on June 30 but in 2018 Sad

Code:
Shipping costs are $35 per unit for US/Europe/China Customers and $70 per unit for anywhere else.

Update: When trying to purchase: an unknown error has occurred and has been reported to the developers.

The ROI will probably be good, but not so short as 3 weeks. More probably 2-3 months. You are probably missing 2 factors:

- 1 obelisk added to the network is nothing, but if 10.000 obelisks are added, the network size will go 5x approximately, and so the difficulty. Thus, profitability will be 5 times less than today's

Of course, if more than 10000 ASICs are sold, other manufacturers get there before them or second batches are delivered (while they are promising 2nd batch will never be delivered during a window of 6 weeks) the calculations will change

For the problem you are having in the purchase, I recommend you getting into the Slack or the Reddit and ask there. A lot of people had that problem too yesterday, but I think it was solved.

It is completely crazy to buy an asic that will be delivered 1 year later. Things move too fast in this field, one year is an era.
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
June 29, 2017, 03:52:24 PM

Code:

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
June 29, 2017, 03:27:04 PM

Code:

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
June 29, 2017, 01:22:36 PM
Progress looking great.

Do you mind telling us how many developers are currently working on Sia as a full-time job?

Yes, they are quite dedicated. Check out this AMA from reddit. It was from a year ago, but it still gives you a good feel for how tight the team is: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/4o1tu4/we_are_the_sia_core_team_aua/

A year ago? You got nothing more recent than that?

You got no ability to google things yourself?  Wink
Activity: 84
June 29, 2017, 10:24:40 AM
Progress looking great.

Do you mind telling us how many developers are currently working on Sia as a full-time job?

Yes, they are quite dedicated. Check out this AMA from reddit. It was from a year ago, but it still gives you a good feel for how tight the team is: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/4o1tu4/we_are_the_sia_core_team_aua/

A year ago? You got nothing more recent than that?
Activity: 177
Merit: 100
June 28, 2017, 11:35:29 PM
Very meticulous team, also the same good for your coins, as if in the media to see your information
Activity: 289
June 28, 2017, 11:27:23 PM
Which platform are you trading on? What's the increase this year?
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
Activity: 316
Merit: 250
June 28, 2017, 09:29:28 PM
this is true? https://obelisk.tech/ Huh Huh Huh Huh
Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
June 28, 2017, 06:44:45 PM
Progress looking great.

June 28, 2017, 05:50:32 PM
This would mean a major step to gain acceptance. Do you have further links about this?
One of the projects is from Fornax, called PixelDrain (http://pixeldra.in/) Right now it is not using Sia backend (but his own server instead), but he is working to implement Sia, accepting BTC for larger files, and implementing in the future video streaming. I can't disclose about the second project, sorry, it was a personal communication.

Nebulous Labs is formed by 4 full-time developers
Activity: 448
June 28, 2017, 05:06:38 PM
But I don't get why the refund is canceled and the coins just get destroyed. If you make a contract with a host and put money in and then put the host down just to get my own coins back I don't profit at all. What is the deal with it?

When a file contract is failed by the host, the renter recovers his allowance, and what is burnt is the collateral that the host put upfront. The renter can't have also the collateral as a "compensation", as it would encourage evil renters to make huge contracts and then DDoS his own hosts to make a profit from the collateral collected. For that reason, lost collateral is burnt.

What do you mean by without paying in SC. While the blockchain is working with SC you would need an direct exchange on the platform, isn't that right?

There are at least 2 projects I am aware(under construction) of services that will allow you to pay in BTC or PayPal and then upload your files. The services will do everything behind the scenes: buying Sia, making the contracts and so

This would mean a major step to gain acceptance. Do you have further links about this?
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 28, 2017, 05:04:54 PM
Progress looking great.

June 28, 2017, 05:02:46 PM
But I don't get why the refund is canceled and the coins just get destroyed. If you make a contract with a host and put money in and then put the host down just to get my own coins back I don't profit at all. What is the deal with it?

When a file contract is failed by the host, the renter recovers his allowance, and what is burnt is the collateral that the host put upfront. The renter can't have also the collateral as a "compensation", as it would encourage evil renters to make huge contracts and then DDoS his own hosts to make a profit from the collateral collected. For that reason, lost collateral is burnt.

What do you mean by without paying in SC. While the blockchain is working with SC you would need an direct exchange on the platform, isn't that right?

There are at least 2 projects I am aware(under construction) of services that will allow you to pay in BTC or PayPal and then upload your files. The services will do everything behind the scenes: buying Sia, making the contracts and so
June 28, 2017, 01:57:30 PM
I love Sia, its like Pied Piper for real   Grin

Its such an awesome idea. But the install process, configuration and usage of Sia need to be heavily simplified so that any "idiot" can use it for it to be a true success. Most people using internet does not know how to configure anything, even less calculate profits etc. It needs to be made so that everything can be done by someones grandmother as well as a 5 year old.
Like dropbox, install, choose folders and done. "Rent out unused space" checked would generate Siacoins, but you wouldnt have to configure it unless you would want to change the default values.

I think making it more user-friendly and easier to install and configure would mean a lot for the future.

Well, while individuals storing his files on Sia is awesome, the target of Sia for renting space are the big companies with tons of Tb's that are paying much higher prices than individuals (Amazon S3 asks for $23/Tb). Also from the hosting perspective, I think some minimal knowledge and implication is required: I don't see myself convincing my mother of keeping her computer on 24/7 for renting unused space...  Roll Eyes

However, some independent devs are preparing front-ends and services for storing data on the Sia network in a more user-friendly way and without paying in SC

June 28, 2017, 01:49:21 PM
Very insightful presentation from David Vorick.

Activity: 84
June 28, 2017, 01:35:31 PM
With all the good things in the pipeline, why is the price so low? Is there a general lack of confidence in SAI? Or is it more a lack of SIA visibility?
June 28, 2017, 01:32:13 PM
I love Sia, its like Pied Piper for real   Grin

Its such an awesome idea. But the install process, configuration and usage of Sia need to be heavily simplified so that any "idiot" can use it for it to be a true success. Most people using internet does not know how to configure anything, even less calculate profits etc. It needs to be made so that everything can be done by someones grandmother as well as a 5 year old.
Like dropbox, install, choose folders and done. "Rent out unused space" checked would generate Siacoins, but you wouldnt have to configure it unless you would want to change the default values.

I think making it more user-friendly and easier to install and configure would mean a lot for the future.

Well, while individuals storing his files on Sia is awesome, the target of Sia for renting space are the big companies with tons of Tb's that are paying much higher prices than individuals (Amazon S3 asks for $23/Tb). Also from the hosting perspective, I think some minimal knowledge and implication is required: I don't see myself convincing my mother of keeping her computer on 24/7 for renting unused space...  Roll Eyes

However, some independent devs are preparing front-ends and services for storing data on the Sia network in a more user-friendly way and without paying in SC
Jump to: