Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 347. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10
March 14, 2016, 09:45:57 PM
hey are sia notes still relevant/ a thing and how much has been taken per note if theyre still existing?
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
HYPER project manager and PR + GoldPieces [GP]
March 14, 2016, 06:57:31 PM
Shared a simple article about Sia,Storj,Maidsafe and IPFS.
http://blockchain.hk/sia-storj-maidsafe/

MAID does decentralized internet, sia just does storage as far as I can tell.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004
March 14, 2016, 11:05:07 AM
Shared a simple article about Sia,Storj,Maidsafe and IPFS.
http://blockchain.hk/sia-storj-maidsafe/
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
Kaspa
March 14, 2016, 02:17:51 AM
ya sounds like it is coming along nicely, thanks for the user update  Cool
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
March 14, 2016, 12:35:05 AM
Sia usage report #2.

... snip ...

Now I wanted to see if I can use it for something practical: backup. So I used it to upload 3 files 28 GB total.

... snip ...

So, overall, I'm not going to actually use Sia for backups this time as it's more expensive than cloud storage providers. But it definitely looks promising.

I think it is fair to say that, in its current form, Sia is not ready for real-world use. First off, there are synchronization issues, excessive RAM usage and very limited scaleability.

Synchronization issues have largely been fixed in the 0.5.2 release candidate that came out today. The other problems are being worked on too.

What you describe is, therefore, the expected performance of Sia. There are no real surprises here.

I in no way intend to say your report is misleading. I think it represents a valid snapshot of how Sia is performing right now. But, Sia is in beta, its a work-in-progress with many known issues and both demand and supply is restrained because of these known issues. So, just as you cannot judge the soup before it has been cooked, wait for your judgement of Sia until the product is ready for real-world use.

What you mention about the cost of storage on Sia is a consequence of all this. What you have is a protocol that does not quite scale, and a reference implementation that is slow and heavy on system resources. As a consequence, not many are uploading content to the Sia network right now. In fact, the developers have asked users to refrain from uploading large amounts of content.

So, with low demand comes of course low supply (of storage). Some of the remaining storage providers are very cheap, others expensive. Most importantly, the low numbers of storage providers increase the amount of redundancy you need to guarantee that files are retrievable. Currently, that redundancy sits at x6, meaning each file you uploaded is duplicated 6 times over! Also, there is not much of a choice available when it comes to selecting which hosts you upload to, as each file has to be split among ~20 hosts. When the number of hosts climb above 100, redundancy can be decreased to x1.5. With an increasing number of hosts then, storage supply will grow, competition among hosts stiffen and prices therefore drop.

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033
March 13, 2016, 07:46:18 PM
Sia usage report #2.

Some time ago I tried out Sia UI, just uploaded/downloaded few mp3 files.

Now I wanted to see if I can use it for something practical: backup. So I used it to upload 3 files 28 GB total.

This time I used command-line interface as I run it on a server. I liked command-line more than GUI.

Upload speed: I don't have exact number but it took many hours to upload, perhaps 24 h total. I expected it to be faster as I'm using fairly powerful dedicated server with fast internet connection. But OK, it could be worse, recently I was a customer of an online backup provider which was MUCH slower than that.

Cost: I loaded wallet with ~60K SC, and right now it's empty. Thus at current price it cost me 60000 * 0.00000024 = 0.0144 BTC, or $6. As I understand, that's for ~1 month. In comparison Amazon S3 standard costs $0.03 per month-gb, thus 28 GB would have costed me $0.84 per month. So I'm quite disappointed, it looks like Sia is 6x more expensive than S3 standard, and 17 times more expensive than "Infrequent Access" option.

User interface: I'm quite disappointed with a lack of control over costs and redundancy, as well as a lack of status visibility. E.g. I'd like to know what degree of redundancy it has, what contracts are already paid for etc.

Stability: siad crashed twice during within 1-2 week time frame. Not cool. (I'm using this server for many years so it's unlikely to be a hardware issue.) I don't have any detailed crash report, some messages are in logs but nothing special around a time of crash. I'll try to get a better log.

Resource usage: I think siad memory usage went up to 3 GB during initial sync & upload, that's rather excessive. CPU usage is also quite high at times (e.g. during upload).

So, overall, I'm not going to actually use Sia for backups this time as it's more expensive than cloud storage providers. But it definitely looks promising.

Activity: 686
HYPER project manager and PR + GoldPieces [GP]
March 11, 2016, 02:12:43 PM
Following for interest. Looks like a promising project.
legendary
Activity: 2087
Merit: 1015
March 11, 2016, 07:39:22 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but how many Siacoin would someone earn by hosting?
Per GB or TB would be good to know.

I read that you need to have 95% uptime etc, but I can't find any number for returns.

You can find all of the current hosts prices at http://siapul.se/page/network however lower priced hosts are more likely to be chosen and I think any host priced at or above 500 is ignored
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
March 11, 2016, 07:30:39 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but how many Siacoin would someone earn by hosting?
Per GB or TB would be good to know.

I read that you need to have 95% uptime etc, but I can't find any number for returns.
legendary
Activity: 2087
Merit: 1015
March 11, 2016, 05:33:47 AM
Do we have a wallet that will hold siafunds yet?

I am on version 3.3 still (havent opened it for a few months)

v0.5.0 has support for siafunds in the GUI

Is there a particular process for me to upgrade?

I would hang on for a couple of days until the official 0.5.0 version is released. The available version is a Release Candidate that is rather buggy.

thanks, I'm waiting for this, I have an old client also

Uh... That happened already. Version 0.5.0 released a day after the post you quoted and a day later Version 0.5.1 was released.

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.5.0-beta
https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.5.1-beta
Activity: 301
Merit: 250
March 11, 2016, 05:18:43 AM
Do we have a wallet that will hold siafunds yet?

I am on version 3.3 still (havent opened it for a few months)

v0.5.0 has support for siafunds in the GUI

Is there a particular process for me to upgrade?

I would hang on for a couple of days until the official 0.5.0 version is released. The available version is a Release Candidate that is rather buggy.

thanks, I'm waiting for this, I have an old client also
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
March 10, 2016, 07:11:13 AM
As of today I have acquired a stake in Sia, and may be covering it further in the following topic: 

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/americanpegasus-initiates-coverage-on-sia-siacoin-speculation-topic-1393560 

Thank you to the devs for working so hard on a quality product.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1023
March 10, 2016, 04:50:25 AM
As an investment Sia looks promising to say the least.

I think it's pretty clear from the chart on Poloniex that there is a lot of accumulation going on and a very well executed pattern forming.
The curve upward towards the next rise has begun it seems.

- One of the top three current up and coming projects in it's field
- Recent mentions from top developers on the value of it's system
- Well respected and trusted team
- Interest from VCs
- 1 million dollar market cap leaves room for gains

There is no reason Sia cannot be in the league of the 10+ million dollar market cap coins.
Keep up the good work!
Activity: 33
March 09, 2016, 05:19:40 PM
funny name SIA Grin

Apparently inspired by the name of an Egyptian god. According to Wikipedia, Sia (the god) was created from the blood spilled as Atum (another Egyptian deity) cut his own penis.

There have been some arguments about Sia's correct pronunciation. Most people seem to pronounce like "See-a", hence jokes like "See ya" on the forum while the developers insist it should be pronounced "Say-a" like in Japanese "sayōnara" ("goodbye").

So, yeah, funny I can agree with. Catchy too.
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
legendary
Activity: 1223
March 06, 2016, 07:46:20 AM
funny name SIA Grin
legendary
Activity: 1050
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
March 05, 2016, 05:21:04 PM
Soon more about Siacoin on INVESD.

https://invesd.org/the-next-big-trend-after-airbnb-and-uber/

Hope you guys like it Smiley Have fun
Activity: 688
ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!
March 05, 2016, 10:12:43 AM
I see the network is currently ~16 TB of data, but is there any graph of this over time? (to see how fast it is growing)

There's actually 42 TB available at the moment and 16TB being used for contracts.

I would check this out... it has a ton of graphs and useful info

http://siapulse.com/page/main

though I don't think there's a graph for storage growth over time.

Nice, thanks.
Activity: 43
March 04, 2016, 10:02:56 AM
I see the network is currently ~16 TB of data, but is there any graph of this over time? (to see how fast it is growing)

There's actually 42 TB available at the moment and 16TB being used for contracts.

I would check this out... it has a ton of graphs and useful info

http://siapulse.com/page/main

though I don't think there's a graph for storage growth over time.
Jump to: