Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 346. (Read 1382191 times)

ttx
Activity: 150
Merit: 101
March 18, 2016, 01:38:31 PM
RC2 today or tomorrow /from poloniex trollbox
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
March 18, 2016, 07:27:34 AM
can do a DAO presale (of siafund i suppose) like slock it hehe.
then SIA will be up there on the league of Slockit and Augur Wink

Ethereum community is still looking for a storage solution (IPFS, swarm, etc) We'd appreciate your consideration a lot
https://twitter.com/EthereumPress/status/706877288902758400

Mm, imagine ethereum and sia working together  Smiley Cool.....
Now that would be a match made in heaven  Cheesy

I suppose its conceivable as both are still developing and growing.....
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
March 18, 2016, 01:39:24 AM
If I were to attach a 5tb external drive to each of my miners (about 30 live atm)

Would the fact I only have 8mb upload speed total hinder sia token rewards?

Not really. Hosts are currently not selected based on their bandwidth, so you should get the same number of contracts regardless.

Also what kind of resources does it take from each machine?

Up to ~500Mb ram if you're running just a host. Some CPU but not excessive. Mostly during IBD and startup.

Next version are addressing RAM and CPU usage so this will be brought down soon.

Very rough average return in sia coins per day for charging the going market rates?

You might earn about 50 - 100 Siacoins / GB in the current market. There is limited uploading going on, due to renter limitations (again, being worked on by developers).

You probably will not earn a lot on Sia in today's market. Your disks will most likely not fill up. Earnings might pay your electricity. You will support the network, development and get some experience that might be valuable to you when Sia starts running full steam.

Important about running a host: you receive your earnings only at the end of a storage contract (usually 6 weeks). So, you want to keep your host running at least for that amount of time.

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
March 17, 2016, 11:46:20 PM
If I were to attach a 5tb external drive to each of my miners (about 30 live atm)

Would the fact I only have 8mb upload speed total hinder sia token rewards?

Also what kind of resources does it take from each machine?

Very rough average return in sia coins per day for charging the going market rates?
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000
March 17, 2016, 07:20:31 PM
Ethereum community is still looking for a storage solution (IPFS, swarm, etc) We'd appreciate your consideration a lot

Now that would be a match made in heaven  Cheesy

I suppose its conceivable as both are still developing and growing.....
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293
Huh?
March 17, 2016, 09:17:37 AM

ttx
March 17, 2016, 05:14:44 AM
Do not be afraid to buy  Wink

ttx
March 17, 2016, 02:11:16 AM
Link to Sia-v0.5.2-rc
ttx
March 17, 2016, 01:53:32 AM
Activity: 247
Merit: 250
March 16, 2016, 12:42:45 PM
A Siafund on the other hand earns you 0.0039% of hosting fees and are selling for ~10 million Sia coins in P2P trades last I saw.

Clarification: Renters pay 3.9% in fees to Siafund holders. There are 10,000 Siafunds. So, each individual Siafund entitles the holder to 0.00039% in "commission"  for each paid file contract. If you have 10 Siafunds, you therefore get 0.0039% of each paid file contract.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
March 16, 2016, 01:26:17 AM
hey are sia notes still relevant/ a thing and how much has been taken per note if theyre still existing?

bump

other words included to circumvent spam filtering

Sianotes were exchanged for Siafunds a while ago, and as such are now worth nothing.

A Siafund on the other hand earns you 0.0039% of hosting fees and are selling for ~10 million Sia coins in P2P trades last I saw.

thats right, thanks!

i forgot that there was an exchange done. Thats a significant amount of sia for an exchange - does the sia wallet have the ability to work with siafunds yet? Would it be possible to plug in keys and transfer these? How is the % collection handled per siafund?
legendary
Activity: 2087
Merit: 1015
March 16, 2016, 12:43:50 AM
hey are sia notes still relevant/ a thing and how much has been taken per note if theyre still existing?

bump

Sianotes were exchanged for Siafunds a while ago, and as such are now worth nothing.

Activity: 115
Merit: 10
March 15, 2016, 08:38:12 PM

bump

legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
March 15, 2016, 07:41:51 PM
For anyone who isn't on the slack community or IRC (already posted there), here's an optimized CUDA miner. Gets >40% performance improvement on pre-Maxwell, and ~10% improvement on Maxwell GPUs.

I have source and binaries here: https://github.com/Vorksholk/Sia-CUDA-Miner
KlausT also accepted my pull request and compiled his own binaries: https://github.com/KlausT/Sia-CUDA-Miner

The binaries I compiled seem to run a few percent faster (maybe due to compiler flags), but it's within an insignificant margin of error.

If you're building on Ubuntu (and have the CUDA toolkit and the cURL development library installed, of course), something like this should work for 6xx and 7xx cards (plus the Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z, Quadro K5xxx/K6xxx, Tesla K10/20X/40/80):
Code:
g++ network.cpp -std=c++11 -c -lcurl
nvcc -c -std=c++11 -gencode=arch=compute_30,code=\"sm_30,compute_30\" --optimize 3 -Xptxas -dlcm=ca gpu-cuda-miner.cu -lcurl
nvcc -std=c++11 -gencode=arch=compute_30,code=\"sm_30,compute_30\" gpu-miner.cpp network.o gpu-cuda-miner.o -lcurl -o gpu-miner

and Maxwell + future:
Code:
g++ network.cpp -std=c++11 -c -lcurl
nvcc -c -std=c++11 -gencode=arch=compute_52,code=\"sm_52,compute_52\" --optimize 3 -Xptxas -dlcm=ca gpu-cuda-miner.cu -lcurl
nvcc -std=c++11 -gencode=arch=compute_30,code=\"sm_52,compute_52\" gpu-miner.cpp network.o gpu-cuda-miner.o -lcurl -o gpu-miner

Note that the 750 Ti has compute capabilities 5.0, so despite being Maxwell, you'll want to use the older compilation. You can change the "30" in compute_30 and sm_30 to another number depending on your specific card. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA, and just remove the period from the correct compute capability version that corresponds to your card. Older 5xx cards are compute 2.0 or 2.1.

For reference, a 980 Ti with an overclock to 1500 MHz gets 1850 MH/s.
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030
March 15, 2016, 05:50:15 PM
I accidentally shut down the computer while Siad was running.
My balance now is 0. How is that possible? The blockchain didn't reload from 0.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Did you unlock the wallet? It won't show a balance when locked.

I shut siad down again, restarted it, unlocked the wallet (had it unlocked before too), it had to catch up 3 blocks, but it shows the balance now.
Weird thing is that I would think that the 'siac wallet' command shows the balance right away, but I guess that too has to wait for a block chain sync.

Anyway, balance retrieved. Thanks.

Oh by the way, it does show the balance when locked in the version I use (0.4.4)
legendary
March 15, 2016, 05:37:33 PM

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Did you unlock the wallet? It won't show a balance when locked.
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030
March 15, 2016, 05:17:07 PM

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
March 15, 2016, 05:49:12 AM
Thanks  Smiley
legendary
March 15, 2016, 05:03:19 AM
Finally got my 0.5.1 wallet synchronised, just as the Polo DDOS attack was in progress, so couldn't at that time withdraw my Sia onto the wallet  Roll Eyes Never a dull moment in the wonderful world of crypto  Grin

Having now withdrawn some Sia onto the wallet, the question now occurs to me: how do I back up the wallet? As far as I can see there's no wallet.dat file.

Here's a snapshot of my roaming folder:

The only info that changes seems to be DevTools Extensions which updates to the current date/time whenever I close the wallet.

Do I simply need to make a backup copy of the roaming folder or is there another file somewhere that I need to back up and if so what its name/default location?

Thanks for any help  Smiley

Everything is stored in a subfolder next to the Sia install, not in Roaming like a typical coin.

The file you are looking for is 'wallet.json'

Activity: 577
Merit: 500
March 15, 2016, 04:47:51 AM
Finally got my 0.5.1 wallet synchronised, just as the Polo DDOS attack was in progress, so couldn't at that time withdraw my Sia onto the wallet  Roll Eyes Never a dull moment in the wonderful world of crypto  Grin

Having now withdrawn some Sia onto the wallet, the question now occurs to me: how do I back up the wallet? As far as I can see there's no wallet.dat file.

Here's a snapshot of my roaming folder:

The only info that changes seems to be DevTools Extensions which updates to the current date/time whenever I close the wallet.

Do I simply need to make a backup copy of the roaming folder or is there another file somewhere that I need to back up and if so what its name/default location?

Thanks for any help  Smiley
Jump to: