Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Snip - The Future of News on the Blockchain - page 27. (Read 49741 times)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Join the project, I have high hopes for it!
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Snip - The Future of News on the Blockchain
Hey everyone,

This Thursday (August 10) Ran is giving a talk at the SF BlockChain Meetup. He'll be talking about the media industry and how blockchain and Snip are disrupting it.
You're welcome to join us if you're in San Francisco, or watch the video.

https://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-BlockChain-collective/events/241942406/
Activity: 140
Snip CEO

The problem with CNN and many other outlets is that their incentives are broken. As Naval Ravikant said quite insightfully: The Internet commoditized the distribution of facts. The "news" media responded by pivoting wholesale into opinions and entertainment.

We're going to be focused on providing the facts in the most clear and convenient way. It's difficult to do that without censoring people but we believe it's possible. For instance, if you trust Fox News as a news source then it's very unlikely that Snip will seem like CNN for you. Other people who trust CNN will see a very different news site than yours.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the content when the platform is open for all writers. You can check out the current version at https://snip.today.

Fake new right there.

CNN was making fake news long before the internet so your theory doesn't quite fit.

I think that everyone agrees that there are more fake news since the Internet and social networks became ubiquitous. Do you disagree?
Activity: 196

The problem with CNN and many other outlets is that their incentives are broken. As Naval Ravikant said quite insightfully: The Internet commoditized the distribution of facts. The "news" media responded by pivoting wholesale into opinions and entertainment.

We're going to be focused on providing the facts in the most clear and convenient way. It's difficult to do that without censoring people but we believe it's possible. For instance, if you trust Fox News as a news source then it's very unlikely that Snip will seem like CNN for you. Other people who trust CNN will see a very different news site than yours.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the content when the platform is open for all writers. You can check out the current version at https://snip.today.

Fake new right there.

CNN was making fake news long before the internet so your theory doesn't quite fit.

Snip CEO
I'm less concerned about the fake news part but how is Snip going to know what I like? All of the "personalized" news apps I tried sucked
This is actually one of Snip's greatest advantages. The current personalized news apps usually include long stories and then the personalization only works if you read a ton and give precise feedback. The ones with short content tend to be low-quality. On Snip you get brief, high-quality stories, similar to what a knowledgable friend would tell you when you ask "What's the deal with ...?". Once a story is 2 paragraphs instead of 20, you can read much more, vote on them, and then Snip gets to know you well very quickly. You can see how it works on https://snip.today
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Ok I'm less concerned about the fake news part but how is Snip going to know what I like? All of the "personalized" news apps I tried sucked
Snip CEO
How much total suply coin dev ?
when plan open ico selling
not open bounty, i want reserve indonesian languange if you need
The token sale will begin in mid-September, we'll provide more details on the bounty in a few days.
Snip CEO
Your description sounds like fake news CNN.

Ultimately people are deciding the validity of news by pressing a button and I think that's not very accurate.

Activity: 868
Merit: 501
Chainjoes.com
How much total suply coin dev ?
when plan open ico selling
not open bounty, i want reserve indonesian languange if you need
Your description sounds like fake news CNN.

Ultimately people are deciding the validity of news by pressing a button and I think that's not very accurate.

Snip CEO

I hope I answered the question.
Ran

This is the worst way I can think of to fight fake news. You should rebrand before you launch and just call it steem news flaggers.

People at home on their computers with or without coin are not capable to determine what is real or fake or accurate or not. Its an idea that can't posses any accuracy. Actually looking at the comments of some people here they can't even determine the day or the week. Why would you give someone voting power over what they have no clue about.

If you want to fight fake news, join a trusted platform with a proven track record.  

https://www.corbettreport.com/

If someone isn't reliable in flagging fake news (flags real stuff, doesn't flag fake stuff) then his/her opinion won't be considered. Once you operate at a large scale you don't need most of the people to understand what's fake and what isn't, you only need 0.1% or 0.01%. And if we can't even find that, then we'll apply the second point - relying on prominent pundits that you trust to decide what's fake and what isn't. That's seems similar to what you wrote about a trusted platform.

Ran

This is the worst way I can think of to fight fake news. You should rebrand before you launch and just call it steem news flaggers.

People at home on their computers with or without coin are not capable to determine what is real or fake or accurate or not. Its an idea that can't posses any accuracy. Actually looking at the comments of some people here they can't even determine the day or the week. Why would you give someone voting power over what they have no clue about.

If you want to fight fake news, join a trusted platform with a proven track record.  

https://www.corbettreport.com/
Snip CEO
This sounds like you took the premise of steemit and claimed that it fights fake news.
We like Steemit but it's not really a news site, more of a cross between blogging platform and social network. There's no real way to stay in the know by following Steemit, and for instance the 3 top articles on the site are "How I learned to stop worrying and love the FUD", "Steem Blockchain Update August 2017", and "Successful #2 India Steemit Accelerator and Steem Cryptocurrency Meetup 2017".

We're building a news platform for the masses, which is blockchain-based but very easy to use. You're welcome to check out https://snip.today to see what I mean.
Activity: 9
This sounds like you took the premise of steemit and claimed that it fights fake news.
Snip CEO
Is the developer bounty going to be before the sale?

We'll properly announce more details on the bounty in a few days.
Snip CEO
The idea seems a big joke ever i saw, how you dude to fighting against the fake news before?

The title is misleading, fight fake news, how are you going to fight fake new with this.

If I go to your fake news blockchain snip and tell you that Sandy Hook was a hoax how are you going to determine if what I'm saying is fake or real or good or bad.  Don't tell me that a coin holder is going to decide for because we already know that is not interesting and not accurate or even credible to the slightest degree.

Indeed, coin holders won't be the ones deciding what's true and what's false. It would be wrong to assume that the richest person knows what's true and what isn't and isn't biased. There are three main features that will allow us to make sure that the information you get is accurate:

1. Real readers flagging fake or low-quality content - If many readers flag a piece of content, then its reach will be reduced significantly. This will be more difficult on controversial issues, where people could flag an opposing article to hurt its reach, and our solution to that will be analyzing if reliable people found the content to be fake. For instance, if there are many right-wing people who think a right-wing news story is fake, then it probably is. The same with left-wing stories.

2. Trusted pundits - On Snip you'll be able to subscribe to certain people and trust their judgement. If they consider an article to be fake or low-quality then it'll reduce the chance that you ever see the article.

3. Real corrections to articles - Today, fake news becomes viral on Facebook and Twitter, reaching millions of people, and when it's revealed that the news is fake, only a few hundreds see the correction/retraction. On Snip, if you saw a news story that turned out to be fake, our algorithm will also show you the correction which explains why the original story was incorrect.

We plan to add additional techniques as we go. Unlike Facebook and Twitter, at Snip our brand is short, high-quality content, and that's why we'll be especially focused on eliminating fake and low quality stories.

Ran
Snip CEO
Little information about the team, can you detail who you are? Smiley
Sure, I'm Ran, CEO of Snip. I have about 10 years of experience in software R&D, working in the field of cybersecurity. I started as a coder, then team leader, and finally a program manager, before starting to work on Snip full time in May 2016.

Rani, my co-founder, is the CTO. He also has about 10 years of experience but focused on Data Science and Machine Learning. He started as a researcher, then team leader, and finally founded from scratch a Data Science - Machine Learning department.

Ofir is our go-to guy for marketing. He has vast experience in marketing, both as a startup founder and as director of growth at Jolt.

Hope I answered the question. On our website (https://snip.network) there are also links to our LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook for more details.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Wow another good project ,It seems a pretty interesting project, i Will keep my eyes here to know newest update!
The title is misleading, fight fake news, how are you going to fight fake new with this.

If I go to your fake news blockchain snip and tell you that Sandy Hook was a hoax how are you going to determine if what I'm saying is fake or real or good or bad.  Don't tell me that a coin holder is going to decide for because we already know that is not interesting and not accurate or even credible to the slightest degree.
Activity: 21
The idea seems a big joke ever i saw, how you dude to fighting against the fake news before?
Pages:
Jump to: