Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | True Decentralization (No Pools) | Testing New Masternodes - page 271. (Read 810083 times)

Activity: 250
Merit: 250
Without guarantee of income, what incentive is there for mining? Securing the blockchain is pointless if there is no reward for doing so?

Keep mining and you will earn reward commensurate with your hashrate. What more do you want?

I know I will get rewards eventually, all I am saying is that as a small miner you cannot guarantee that, whereas in a pool even a small miner can get guaranteed returns.
I know of a guy mining with an R7 260X at around 860 Kh/s and found 4 blocks since last Friday. You just have to stick with it.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
FLY DONATION ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE
Quick question does anyone roughly know what it costs to mine SpreadCoin right now? I'm just wondering where to set my next buys around Smiley

Roughly 0.0005
Thanks I'll set my buys accordingly then Smiley Cheers
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
Anyone else seeing a problem with the spreadminer for Nvidia? I haven't found a block in over 48 hours. With the network hash and current diff the 5x750ti rig should be finding 2-5 blocks a day.

Looking at the debug.log I see a lot of this type of entry:
2015-01-14 23:26:11 AcceptToMemoryPool: 87.114.159.154:41678 /Satoshi:0.9.15.2/ : accepted 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6 (poolsz 1)
2015-01-14 23:26:11 received getdata for: tx 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6 peer=19
2015-01-14 23:26:11 received getdata for: tx 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6 peer=27
2015-01-14 23:26:18 20
2015-01-14 23:26:18 CreateNewBlock(): total size 1473
2015-01-14 23:26:18 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6
2015-01-14 23:26:18 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6
2015-01-14 23:26:19 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6
2015-01-14 23:26:20 22568b8375d57ed49e9bba37576b0520b3acfc4f000895f6a9d32538cb2f14b6

Were the last lines are repeated up to 100 times. I don't know enough about it if that is a issue, just seems odd.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
Without guarantee of income, what incentive is there for mining? Securing the blockchain is pointless if there is no reward for doing so?

Keep mining and you will earn reward commensurate with your hashrate. What more do you want?

I know I will get rewards eventually, all I am saying is that as a small miner you cannot guarantee that, whereas in a pool even a small miner can get guaranteed returns.
If you would rather mine a coin through centralised pools, where any semi-serious adversary can breeze along, compromise two or three pool servers (or pool operators) and destroy your currency overnight at trivial expense then you are free to do so.

Personally I'll take having to wait a while between finding blocks. Smiley
Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Hey everyone, been trying to set up my rig to mine this coin, but I have a few issues that I lack the expertise to solve. My mining rig is behind a firewall, a firewall that is quite robust and pretty much only allows my miners to connect over port 80 to anything mining related. Now as far as I can tell for you to properly solo mine spreadcoin you need to have the wallet software linked to the miner using the spreadcoin.conf? Is this correct? Do I need to have the wallet software running on the same computer that the mining rig is on or can the mining rig connect to my wallet software on my home PC and run like that? It just feels like I'm missing something simple to get my mining going...

The wallet software on the mining cannot download the blockchain or CPU since the firewall connection clearly does not allow the wallet to download. Anybody have any tips getting the wallet to download the blockchain over port 80? Tongue

I think I've managed to set this up on my home computert since I set up the spreadcoin.config(with private key) and have managed to mine, but after 24 hours either I didn't set it up properly or I just did not find any blocks. I put in these settings as well as my privkey.
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=80
rpcthreads=15
daemon=1
server=1
listen=1
did you name the spreadcoin config file "spreadcoin.conf"?
It is normal to not find any blocks after 24 hours. How many kh/s do you get?

Are you trying to mine at work or something? Because when this was cpu only I tried to mine at school but I couldn't connect to anyone.
Also, you should have rpcallowip= if the rig is on a different computer.

Hey. No, I just named it spreadcoin.

Yeah, have my setup in my office. I also cannot mine with the wallet software on that network.

Ok, first, press the windows key + R

In the window that came up type "control folders" (without the "") and press enter.
In the view tab make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" it unticked and then press ok.

Ok now navigate to you spreadcoin folder (%appdata%/Spreadcoin)
Now make sure to name the config file "spreadcoin.conf". And make sure it doesn't have .txt on the end. If it does, just rename it without it.

So are you saying my primary wallet software(on my home PC) should have the mining rigs IP and not the standard 127.0.0.1?

Yeah, because I assume rpcallowip means "Only allow this IP to connect to the wallet" so at your office, go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to find the ip of your office and at home replace 127.0.0.1 with that ip.

Once you go back to work go back to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check if the IP changed. If it didn't then you are good to go. (hopefully)

Been trying to mine this way, but it seems the miner cannot connect to my home computer at all. Not sure what else to do to get mining.

Any ideas? Try to get my mining PC connect to the wallet on my PC over the internet?
Activity: 380
Quick question does anyone roughly know what it costs to mine SpreadCoin right now? I'm just wondering where to set my next buys around Smiley

Roughly 0.0005
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
FLY DONATION ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

Yet, with spread, securing the blockchain becomes a task in which there is no certain payout.

With only one GPU, you should care even less about regular payouts, since your electric bill is negligible from mining. If you believe in the coin, mine it and average it out over a month. I have several more GPU's and still treat mining like a hobby and don't dump for electric bills, just hodl for the future. Just buy Spreadcoin if you want to increase your holdings in the short term.

And to njs811: 24 MH/s, getting about 55-60 coins a day since the diff went past 50.

I have a rig with four 280X GPUs mining DRK at the moment, my home PC has a 7950 on it, so I was testing with that. I'm just questioning the mining model since it seems GPU miners cannot secure any GPU based POW coin Tongue

My point was that "almost nothing" isn't a lot better than "nothing", when you're looking at mining a few dollars a day in coin. You can buy SPR with lunch money if you have access to a BTC market.

The model is what Satoshi intended, and otherwise the coin would be raped by multipools, making mining pointless once again. I had turned off my rigs for months and just recently began to have some fun again because of SPR. I just hope the party lasts a while because no one knows how to solo anymore.
Activity: 406
It would be nice to join a pool, but not really possible. Even if someone could figure out a pool for Spreadcoin it would destroy the coins value. Isn't the lack of pools the entire purpose?
Activity: 149
We found mining with small hashrate very lackluster with an unknown outcome. Now whom might be interested in joining a private pool if we was to create one?  Wink
Yet, with spread, securing the blockchain becomes a task in which there is no certain payout.

With only one GPU, you should care even less about regular payouts, since your electric bill is negligible from mining. If you believe in the coin, mine it and average it out over a month. I have several more GPU's and still treat mining like a hobby and don't dump for electric bills, just hodl for the future. Just buy Spreadcoin if you want to increase your holdings in the short term.

And to njs811: 24 MH/s, getting about 55-60 coins a day since the diff went past 50.

I have a rig with four 280X GPUs mining DRK at the moment, my home PC has a 7950 on it, so I was testing with that. I'm just questioning the mining model since it seems GPU miners cannot secure any GPU based POW coin Tongue
I have a question about the decentralised mining model proposition for this coin- I get the fundamentals, I  really do since I currently mine DRK over p2p, but how easy is it for one massive miner with a few GPUs, or even a botnet of CPU miners to take over the hashing power? Can the argument be made that non pooled mining might decrease the centralisation problem, but that solo mining makes the payoff for the miner an unknown quantity? Even if you are a small miner in a centralised pool system your payments for securing the network can be earned simply because you share the pool with a massive farm based mining operation; they find a block, you still win, you find a block and they still win. It may be centralised, which there are legitimate arguments against, but it also introduces certainty for the miner.

Yet, with spread, securing the blockchain becomes a task in which there is no certain payout. There is no sharing of rewards to secure the blockchain, i.e, eventually the majority of spreadcoin will be made up of big miners as the little ones will just move onto another crypto that pays out. So instead of decentralising the mining across the board, we have single entities who make it a zero sum game for smaller miners who might want to get in on spread. I say this as someone who has tried to mine the coin for a day and have not been paid out. Now I know variance exists and some days I might get very fortunate and get a couple of blocks, but the point is there is no incentive for the network to be made up of small miners and centralises distribution in the hands of the few big ones. I know the more hashrate you have the bigger piece you should get, but in a regular pool environment even the smallest miner will get a piece of that pie-in this environment it's win or lose.  Please don't see this as bashing the coin, I find the concept with this coin extremely enticing, but just imagine me as a potential miner and try to convince me to join up, explain how the end-game mining model would look for this coin later on.

After mining spread for 24 hours with my 7950 I found no blocks. Mining DRK (I have no animosity to Spread as I am mainly a DRK miner)  there were a few blocks found in that same time period over p2p.

Long term you will make just as much solo mining, probably more as there are no fees involved. If you are only interested in short term dumping to BTC/fiat then this is not the currency for you.

Mining's primary goal is to secure the blockchain, not guarantee miner income. Some people have more hashpower and will thus earn more, same as any other cryptocurrency, regardless of whether they mine via a pool or solo - I'm not seeing how that situation is any better or worse with Spread than anything else. Spread just eliminates the risk of centralised bad actors.

Without guarantee of income, what incentive is there for mining? Securing the blockchain is pointless if there is no reward for doing so? And no, I am not dumping my mined coins(even though I should have, would have been able to buy a lot more of them back if I had).

Also, there are little to no fees with p2p mining as well, but that decentralises the network and somewhat secures continuous reward. At this point in time my biggest method of generating coins for myself is to mine them and not buy them, so that is what I do so to be told that mining is not meant for income seems incongruous since without us there is no coin at all. I guess what I am trying to say is that as a miner, you know, the people who secure the network and make it so that transactions can be conducted, are not really benefiting if they have to mine an "hope" they find blocks.

Is there any chart that shows mining hashrate distribution by address?
I'm mining with an R9 280x
I actually don't pay for electric. So it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I just want an idea of what I can expect from this coin.

The first answer was for the other guy, what are you mining with?
I actually don't pay for electric. So it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I just want an idea of what I can expect from this coin.

Is anyone mining this coin currently? How much would you say that you make on an average day? (Coin Wise) Please post your hash level and expected coin intake.
Hey guys i'm new to Solo Mining, but i'm not sure that my miner is working properly.  http://tinypic.com/r/jshnja/8
Any suggestions?
Jump to: