Author

Topic: [ANN] Terracoin (TRC) - Est 2012 - page 143. (Read 408656 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
February 25, 2016, 09:11:46 PM
hi
how  can i  get  this  coin ? Huh Huh Huh  i  have 00 TRC   Cry Cry Cry
can  u  help  me      1HdVGYRs51e8Dop5SFNTaZTrkmdDgwzdZ2
legendary
Activity: 1231
Merit: 1001
February 25, 2016, 09:02:56 PM

Heres my opinion for everything.

I'm all for keeping algo SHA-256 with Bitcoin block halving coming some miners might be interested in moving to another coin if we can get some value on TRC they might make the move.

42 Millions coins I agree shouldn't change.

20 TRC per block another thing that shouldn't change with the exception of block halving.

Merge Mining...........I need to do more research on this before I can give opinion .

Difficulty Recalculation....I think maybe we should be looking into another coins retarget strategy over the last two years MANY options have popped up.

Reward Halving Keep as is once every ~4 years.

Block Generation keep @ every 2 min.

I am going to leave the merge mine vote up for the next couple of days to just see if a bunch of people climb out of the wood works.
Though at this point it is basically decided (as it has been for a while).
I think the next discussion that we need to have is difficulty recalculation.  What do we want to do about that?  From what I read about one of those Darkcoins that Hanzac posted about was that it recalculated difficulty with every block.  Can we do that?  Should we do that?

NEWS:

DOT donations are at - 198,953/5,000,000 DOT for the Cryptopia buy in.  You can donate to my address: 1N5qY9gqYSeoPwTcdm2zcRZebdMMTyBZrx or transfer DOT to me on Cryptopia.  My username is clockuniverse.

Craslovell is running a logo redesign contest here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1375662.0 to donate to the bounty you can send TRC here:  16ffGRgxEd2oYpwZf3TRgCVAj6ja9b3WEY  We are at 1500 TRC as of now.

We have a new p2pool here:  http://mvcv114.ddns.net:9322
Lack of interested caused him to turn it off, but since he has heard about the new TRC Foundation he turned it back on.  Someone test it out and tell us how it works.

A second developer has also expressed interest in helping us out.

Now all we need to do is get all of the specifications in a row!

Edit: I will update the OP and website soon.  I am a bit under the weather.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021
February 25, 2016, 07:23:37 PM
@phatkiller

Thanks for the input. I like what you have to say. We basically need to bring the code totally up to date, change diff algo, and MAYBE make it merge-mineable. The great migration from bitcoin when blocks halve could be extremely beneficial to TRC. This coin needs to get up to where it belongs before that occurs or it might be missed.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
February 25, 2016, 05:18:36 PM
1. SHA-256 Algorithm
2. 42 Million coins (I don't think this should ever change)
3. 20 TRC per block
4. Merge mining

These are areas up for immediate discussion which hopefully we can agree on in a week.  I want to have a clear path for the developer(s) in a week.

1. Difficulty recalculation at 540 blocks.  Up/Down?
2. Reward halving at 1050000 blocks.  Up/Down?
3. Blocks generated every 2 minutes?  Up/Down?

I am not trying to disregard anyone's input, and I want more input like we have been getting.

I just feel like we need to stop the bleeding before the patient dies.
Heres my opinion for everything.

I'm all for keeping algo SHA-256 with Bitcoin block halving coming some miners might be interested in moving to another coin if we can get some value on TRC they might make the move.

42 Millions coins I agree shouldn't change.

20 TRC per block another thing that shouldn't change with the exception of block halving.

Merge Mining...........I need to do more research on this before I can give opinion .

Difficulty Recalculation....I think maybe we should be looking into another coins retarget strategy over the last two years MANY options have popped up.

Reward Halving Keep as is once every ~4 years.

Block Generation keep @ every 2 min.
legendary
February 25, 2016, 12:05:35 AM
I will set up a poll about merge mining!

I was under the impression that merge mining was already decided. Changing this due to one or two persons not understanding how merge mining works does not set a good president, plus people are not likely to vote for something they do not understand.

I have mined TRC for a long time now, but it has remained stagnant due to a lack of bringing anything new to the crypto table - it just doesn't have anything to entice miners to it. Enabling merge mining will change this. Personally, I want this coin to grow, but if it stays the same - that's OK too, but it will remain stagnant in it's current form unless merge mining is enabled.

We can vote by block chain. All voters who support to add the feature (merge mining) can send a tiny amount of TRC (e.g. 0.01) from their TRC holding address to a fixed address.
Finally, we calculate the total weight (TRC holdings) that support this action by analyzing the transactions made to the fixed address.
If the support percentage can be more than 50%, I think it's O.K. for carry on the action.

However, to be more accurate, if lots of TRC holders are not active participants. We need to add another rule.
All voters against the feature (merge mining) send a tiny TRC to another fixed address. Then calculate again the total weight.

If SupportWeight > AgainstWeight, then we carry on the action.

How about this, I think this is quite fair.

I put a poll at the top of this ANN.  You have to be a registered member of bitcointalk to vote, so I think that should help weed out repeat votes.

Also, Terracoins wallet is so outdated that it doesn't have coin control to make it easy to count the votes in the manner you suggest.

We have set up a donation address already for the logo design bounty which is this - 16ffGRgxEd2oYpwZf3TRgCVAj6ja9b3WEY If you want to help create a new logo then send TRC donations there.  (1000 TRC already)

I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate it.  I felt the same way when I started this thread.  I felt that by having merge mining TRC would lose a lot of its independence and would feel "less" by being reliant on other coins to help it succeed.  As the conversation has progressed my opinion has changed because I am imagining the future as, "I am going to mine TRC, because I also can mine Whatevercoin too." 

Not the other way around.

I think you have lost this round, Hanzac, but please don't go away.  I have been reading bitcointalk for years now and the reason I find that most coins fail is because everyone just marches down a narrow path without anyone suggesting alternatives.  Please keep suggesting alternatives and ideas.

Activity: 425
Merit: 262
February 24, 2016, 11:31:32 PM

I was under the impression that merge mining was already decided. Changing this due to one or two persons not understanding how merge mining works does not set a good president, plus people are not likely to vote for something they do not understand.

I have mined TRC for a long time now, but it has remained stagnant due to a lack of bringing anything new to the crypto table - it just doesn't have anything to entice miners to it. Enabling merge mining will change this. Personally, I want this coin to grow, but if it stays the same - that's OK too, but it will remain stagnant in it's current form unless merge mining is enabled.

We can vote by block chain. All voters who support to add the feature (merge mining) can send a tiny amount of TRC (e.g. 0.01) from their TRC holding address to a fixed address.
Finally, we calculate the total weight (TRC holdings) that support this action by analyzing the transactions made to the fixed address.
If the support percentage can be more than 50%, I think it's O.K. for carry on the action.

However, to be more accurate, if lots of TRC holders are not active participants. We need to add another rule.
All voters against the feature (merge mining) send a tiny TRC to another fixed address. Then calculate again the total weight.

If SupportWeight > AgainstWeight, then we carry on the action.

How about this, I think this is quite fair.
legendary
February 24, 2016, 09:41:34 PM

It basically is.  I was just curious if he was the lone hold out or if other people were lurking around.  Remember, I started out with odd information about merge mining too.

Now thanks to this whole discussion you and everyone else has had with Hanzac I am now even more informed on the subject.  Thanks!

I am still going to throw a poll up, but I think that part of the new wallet specification is pretty much decided.

Should I create a poll for the other possibilities?

Side note: DOT donations are at: 88,953/5,000,000
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
February 24, 2016, 12:08:18 PM

I am totally with you on this p3yot33at3r

You can't please everyone, but you can make the coin useful and enticing again. Merge mining will bring hundreds or thousands of new and old users back in to the TRC blockchain.

By the way everyone, logo contest thread has been created here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/trc-terracoin-new-logographics-contest-vote-1375662

Take a look and give it a crack if you're feeling artistic  Cool

I see no reason not to add merged mining this just opens the TRC for additional miners to contribute.
legendary
February 24, 2016, 11:14:21 AM

I am totally with you on this p3yot33at3r

You can't please everyone, but you can make the coin useful and enticing again. Merge mining will bring hundreds or thousands of new and old users back in to the TRC blockchain.

By the way everyone, logo contest thread has been created here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/trc-terracoin-new-logographics-contest-vote-1375662

Take a look and give it a crack if you're feeling artistic  Cool
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
February 24, 2016, 11:08:10 AM

legendary
February 24, 2016, 10:55:09 AM
KGW or DGW debate would be for the new difficulty retarget algo, not the mining algo. Personally I think mining algo should remain SHA256.

It's important to realize not everyone will be pleased with the eventual decisions made, that's why a mix of both quality and quantity of input are important.

If miners ever want to see TRC trading again for more than a penny or two, merge mining might be a must.
legendary
February 24, 2016, 10:44:37 AM

Donate DOT to this address to get TRC on Cryptopia - 1N5qY9gqYSeoPwTcdm2zcRZebdMMTyBZrx - We are at 55615.  We will be straight up just buying our way onto Cryptopia when we have 5 million DOT.

Would you be willing to provide your username on cryptopia for direct transfer? (if not I'll just do a withdraw)

My username on Cryptopia is clockuniverse.

February 24, 2016, 09:34:54 AM
I don't like debate, can we make poll here or in TRC block chain to decide if add the new features?
February 24, 2016, 05:49:39 AM
I don't understand why you want merge mining. If we can improve the difficulty adjust algorithm, security will be better. All the other independent coins don't have merge mining.

I'm not sure what merge mining has to do with independence. All coins are independent weather they are merge mined or not, you don't have to merge mine it, it's just another option that will bring in more miners & thus help secure the network & attract a wider user base, which is important if a coin is to become successful.

One question:
If merge-mining is enabled, everyone will do merge-mining or not? Otherwise he will lose money?

If so, once TRC merge-mined with BTC, huge mining power will be thrown on TRC. In this case, personal mining will be obsolete. P2Pool could also be obsolete if there's no one works on the merge-mining option of p2pool server.
We should allow user to use their low hash machine (e.g. < 1T) to mine TRC otherwise it will not gain interest from ordinary people or newbies.

I will not against it if it's most people's decision, and you all know the downside of merge-mining.

If merge-mining is enabled, everyone will do merge-mining or not?

No. There are other merge mined coins out there with low hash rates - the coin still has to appeal to miners in the first place.

Otherwise he will lose money?

No. How?

If so, once TRC merge-mined with BTC, huge mining power will be thrown on TRC.

See above.

In this case, personal mining will be obsolete.

That depends on your costs. For many, personal mining has been obsolete for a while.

P2Pool could also be obsolete if there's no one works on the merge-mining option of p2pool server.

Merge mining is not just for p2pool, but p2pool is the easiest option for the home (independant?) miner to set-up merge mining, which is what you seem so concerned about. P2pool does not use a server, the nodes are the "servers" as you call them - it is completely decentralised, which adds to the security of the network. Also, TRC is already listed in the p2pool coins networks (although this might need to be updated depending on what changes are made to TRC, if any)

We should allow user to use their low hash machine (e.g. < 1T) to mine TRC otherwise it will not gain interest from ordinary people or newbies.

Anyone can mine it with any amount of hash at any time, weather it is merge mined or not. The fact is, the more miners that mine it (or any other crypto), the higher the diff will go - that is a fact of mining. If you want a coin that has permanently low diff, you will have to create a coin that nobody knows about & mine it yourself - it will of course be worthless, because nobody knows about it or mines it.

...and you all know the downside of merge-mining.

Please explain it to "us all". As I have already pointed out, not one single coin has failed due to merge mining, they have all benefited. How many coins have failed that aren't merge mined? Hundreds, with more following suit every week.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
February 24, 2016, 05:26:00 AM

Donate DOT to this address to get TRC on Cryptopia - 1N5qY9gqYSeoPwTcdm2zcRZebdMMTyBZrx - We are at 55615.  We will be straight up just buying our way onto Cryptopia when we have 5 million DOT.

Would you be willing to provide your username on cryptopia for direct transfer? (if not I'll just do a withdraw)
February 23, 2016, 11:39:03 PM
I don't understand why you want merge mining. If we can improve the difficulty adjust algorithm, security will be better. All the other independent coins don't have merge mining.

I'm not sure what merge mining has to do with independence. All coins are independent weather they are merge mined or not, you don't have to merge mine it, it's just another option that will bring in more miners & thus help secure the network & attract a wider user base, which is important if a coin is to become successful.

One question:
If merge-mining is enabled, everyone will do merge-mining or not? Otherwise he will lose money?

If so, once TRC merge-mined with BTC, huge mining power will be thrown on TRC. In this case, personal mining will be obsolete. P2Pool could also be obsolete if there's no one works on the merge-mining option of p2pool server.

I will not against it if it's most people's decision, and you all know the downside of merge-mining.

legendary
February 23, 2016, 11:30:12 PM
I support

Which part of the discussion do you support, my friend?
legendary
February 23, 2016, 11:07:34 PM
Alright.  Sorry if keep posting demanding lists and goals.  We need to decide on a new wallet quickly because the old wallet is so seriously broken.

I don't see any reason not to do merge mining.  If six months or a year from now we want to change it, then that is fine.  I put the word "flexible" in the OP for this exact reason.  Updated list below...

42 Million coins (I don't think this should ever change)
20 TRC per block
Merge mining

These are areas up for immediate discussion which hopefully we can agree on in a week.  I want to have a clear path for the developer(s) in a week.

1. Different algorithm?  Hanzac mention a couple of interesting options.  (KimotoGravityWell and DarkGravityWave).  Stick with SHA-256? Yes/Now?
2. Difficulty recalculation at 540 blocks.  Up/Down?  (I have conflicting info on this either 540 or 2160)  Can we even change this with SHA-256? (This also depends on how you answer 1)
3. Reward halving at 1050000 blocks.  Up/Down?
4. Blocks generated every 2 minutes?  Up/Down?

The discussion is open!  Let's knock out 1-4 in the next three or four days.

Updated info:

Add the TRC Foundation on Twitter: @terracoin_trc (yes, that is the best name I could get)
February 23, 2016, 12:37:32 PM

legendary
February 23, 2016, 11:51:22 AM
I feel merge mining would bring interest back to Terracoin. Many people disregard the coin because of how abused it was in the past. As we can see now there seems to be limited interest in mining it at this point. Merge mining would bring a "standard" of hash power back to the TRC network. Of course difficulty would also follow suit.

I mean why the hell else does Dogecoin even exist at this point? The coin is essentially a big joke. Without merge mining I feel it would be another chain lost in the sea of alts.
Jump to: