Author

Topic: [ANN] US/North American Bitfury sales NEW STOCK ***NOW SHIPPING*** - page 126. (Read 576774 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
bringing my tech problems back to this thread (i got some fast replies last time):

i got a monitor and keyboard now to manually get the rpi running, and cannot even login.

It appears to load the entire code, and gets to

"(none) login:"

I enter pi as the username and get this response:

"unable to determine your tty name.
Debian GNU/Linux 7 (none) ttyl

(none) login: "

whats going on?
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
No - bought two starters and received two cards that hash at just a bit over 25 Gh/s each, so no EOLs.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
OK - I've got a serious problem here.  My main-board just smoked two Raspberry PI's.  One will no longer come on at all, the other will turn the red light on connected to an external source away from the m-board, but a couple of the chips on the RPi get extremely hot very quickly, to the point where they burn your fingers if you touch them.  I know that's not right.

The chip that now gets so hot on the RasPi is labelled RG2.  I have one other m-board and a personal RasPi that I'll try, but I don't know for certain that the replacement board I received doesn't have the same problem - I've never tried it because I've been running both h-cards in one main board - the one that just smoked the RPis...

did you "pencil mod it" wink once for yes two times for no

It wouldn't matter either way - the bad m-board fried the second RasPi without having any hashing cards in it at all.   And switching to a different m-board and a third RasPi has me back up and hashing.  And scratching my head about what could have just happened.

Did you get EOL Hboards?

ps: you are scaring me and I am going to check my RBpi for any overheal.

OK - I've got a serious problem here.  My main-board just smoked two Raspberry PI's.  One will no longer come on at all, the other will turn the red light on connected to an external source away from the m-board, but a couple of the chips on the RPi get extremely hot very quickly, to the point where they burn your fingers if you touch them.  I know that's not right.

The chip that now gets so hot on the RasPi is labelled RG2.  I have one other m-board and a personal RasPi that I'll try, but I don't know for certain that the replacement board I received doesn't have the same problem - I've never tried it because I've been running both h-cards in one main board - the one that just smoked the RPis...

It wouldn't matter either way - the bad m-board fried the second RasPi without having any hashing cards in it at all.   And switching to a different m-board and a third RasPi has me back up and hashing.  And scratching my head about what could have just happened.
OK - I've got a serious problem here.  My main-board just smoked two Raspberry PI's.  One will no longer come on at all, the other will turn the red light on connected to an external source away from the m-board, but a couple of the chips on the RPi get extremely hot very quickly, to the point where they burn your fingers if you touch them.  I know that's not right.

The chip that now gets so hot on the RasPi is labelled RG2.  I have one other m-board and a personal RasPi that I'll try, but I don't know for certain that the replacement board I received doesn't have the same problem - I've never tried it because I've been running both h-cards in one main board - the one that just smoked the RPis...

What was version of Mboard are you using?

Version 1.  It's been running 24 x 7 since early this month.  Noticed sudden hashrate drop at Slush.  Sniffed.  Smelled hot electrical components.  Shut everything down.  Chip extrememly hot, Raspberry Pi completely dead.   Removed hashing cards, checked voltages on m-board.  5.06 on the appropriate GPIO pins.  Shut everything down, plugged the RasPi into the m-board and powered up with no hashing cards in it.   Red light came on and I had my hand on the back of the Pi on the side opposite of the chip that got so hot on the first one - it got very hot, very fast, so I shut down.  

This Pi not as completely dead as the first one, if you remove it from the m-board and plug it into external power, the red light comes on, but that's it, won't boot, no light for the network cable.

Pulled the case of a third Pi that I had hashing with some Block Erupters and switched main boards.  Worked fine.  Tried both RPis in the second mother board - neither work.  Switched over the hashing cards and am hashing with the second m-board...

At least I'm up and running again, but I appear to have a main board that went bad and produced two crispy, burned up, RaspberryPIs ...

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Activity: 490

hmmm... I smoked Raspberry tobacco, it smelled nice.  Grin

What was version of Mboard are you using?

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Heh that link doesn't know how to use dd properly - the bs= option is pretty much mandatory if you don't want to take hours doing it.
I always use the -bs (buffer size) option without even thinking about it, so I didn't notice it was missing.
Let MMMm be up to 25% of your internal memory in megabytes(for example 1024m), this is the complete command:
dd if=ts-image.dd of=/dev/diskN bs=MMMm

bs is for block size. AFAIK dd doesn't buffer data and let the kernel cache handle buffering if needed.

The bs value should be large enough to avoid inefficiencies (depends on the system, 4k probably is a minimum and most systems I know of have good/best results with 64k) but not too large to avoid wasting memory (and sometimes lower xfer speeds).
Most of the time the ideal value is a power of 2 (to match kernel/hardware structure sizes) with some notable exceptions such as RAID arrays with a number of stripes not being a power of 2.

To find out the best value you can test increasing block size values (starting at 4k and doubling size on each new try) by adding "bs= count=" which will transfer *: try limiting so that the transfer takes only a few seconds. dd should report the bandwidth, stop increasing bs when you reach a plateau and then remove the count=... parameter to get the command-line transferring the image at roughly the maximum speed possible.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Kano, nobody really cares about your ROI bitching.  Everyone is just so tired of hearing it from you.  Really.

... one of the reasons I have him on ignore =/ I feel bad for Con having such a polarizing teammate Sad

Even worse that it was Kano's attitude that drove me to use bfasjdhfgkahsdfghalkgMiner instead of CGminer over his constant crying over not getting free hardware in a timely manner.

*additionally mentions something about bfasjdhfgkahsdfghalkgMiner having an uptime of over 8 days driving Erupter USB's on Windows vs CGMiner consistently crashing after 24-48 hours of use. Mumbles something about "gg libusb"*
If you have the version 2 m-boards, there should be PCI-e connectors right on the m-board to plug into.  This is a picture of my version 1 m-board.

The problem with my Version 2.2 boards is the board would not boot with just 2 x PCI-E connectors on the board.  I had to still hookup a power cable to the +12V and  Ground screws AND also hookup the 2x PCI-E power cables.

Then the board booted.  I tried to boot 2 different Rpis and 2 Different M-boards with 2 different h-boards only on 2 x PCI-E power cables to the PCI-E power connectors and they simply would not boot properly.

I've got the same problem as ninja. I'm trying to figure out what I can do while I wait for the molex cables in the mail.

Would it make sense to use another Pcie cable, and cut the ends off of it to use the bare wires for this? would I need 2 different PCIE cables or would 1 that splits into 2 be enough?

Thanks
   If you dont might post picture of new Mboard please?
Thank you.
Heh that link doesn't know how to use dd properly - the bs= option is pretty much mandatory if you don't want to take hours doing it.

Then why don't you post how to do it correctly?
Sorry - I don't have a BitFury and they wont even sell me one.
Ask the Bitfury team Smiley

Are you sure that you cant buy it for Oct. delivery?
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
I always use the -bs (buffer size) option without even thinking about it, so I didn't notice it was missing.
Let MMMm be up to 25% of your internal memory in megabytes(for example 1024m), this is the complete command:

I'd say you can set bs to 128 or 256KB (maybe 1MB) and it should be enough.

Bigger than this it does not speed things up a lot since you're constrained by the writing speed of the output file (of=...) in this case the SD disk.

spiccioli
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Monero
If you have the version 2 m-boards, there should be PCI-e connectors right on the m-board to plug into.  This is a picture of my version 1 m-board.

The problem with my Version 2.2 boards is the board would not boot with just 2 x PCI-E connectors on the board.  I had to still hookup a power cable to the +12V and  Ground screws AND also hookup the 2x PCI-E power cables.

Then the board booted.  I tried to boot 2 different Rpis and 2 Different M-boards with 2 different h-boards only on 2 x PCI-E power cables to the PCI-E power connectors and they simply would not boot properly.

I've got the same problem as ninja. I'm trying to figure out what I can do while I wait for the molex cables in the mail.

Would it make sense to use another Pcie cable, and cut the ends off of it to use the bare wires for this? would I need 2 different PCIE cables or would 1 that splits into 2 be enough?

Thanks
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
Activity: 924

If you have the version 2 m-boards, there should be PCI-e connectors right on the m-board to plug into.  This is a picture of my version 1 m-board.
Activity: 924
Dave, I do not have any +12V or Ground plugs like this with any of my 5 Starter Kits.  I am running m-board version 2.2

Was I supposed to get some with the kits?

It looks like I will need to make some plugs like that now.  Problem is I am not sure if the plugs I make will be adequate.   Below is a picture of the plugs I think I was supposed to get...but I did not get.

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Bitfurys won't Roi at current Fiat prices or bitcoins is a fact not an opinion anymore.  Doesn't stop hardcore miners though
Jump to: