Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [XCH] ★ ClearingHouse - Freedom by Blockchain ★ - page 36. (Read 119122 times)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250
I think you should make it clear that people are essentially buying XCH coins with VIA in the equivalent of an IPO/ICO.  Using the word "burn" just confuses matters as burn in crypto-currencies means putting coins beyond use in some way.  The VIA exchanged here can and will be used.  Why use the word "burn" at all?

Agree. There is no "burning" of coins here in any reasonable sense. This was over the top. One had to read carefully to understand what was going on.

I think that Drak should have explained patiently why he needs more coins. Instead of this he was talking about "shiny and new coins" which should not be destroyed. This was somewhat arrogant, showing lack of respect for investors.
The first decentralized smart contracts protocol built on top of an altcoin block chain is now live.

Can someone explain to me how this is "the first"? Or is it semantics? The NXT Asset Exchange seems to be pretty much the same as clearinghouse.

I think this is all about advertising. A bit of hype for the coin.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
The first decentralized smart contracts protocol built on top of an altcoin block chain is now live.

Can someone explain to me how this is "the first"? Or is it semantics? The NXT Asset Exchange seems to be pretty much the same as clearinghouse.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
Viacoin Team Implements Smart Contract Protocol Built on Altcoin Block Chain

source:  http://www.coindesk.com/viacoin-team-implements-smart-contract-protocol-built-altcoin-block-chain/

ClearingHouse, a descendent of Counterparty, was created by the team behind viacoin and has been in active development since the alt first launched last month. The team has attracted top talent in the bitcoin space, most notably Bitcoin Core developer and Coinkite advisor Peter Todd who has been hired to work on his Tree Chains concept.

On 11th August, the viacoin development team announced new details regarding ClearingHouse’s internal currency, XCH, and information on how users can exchange viacoins for the new currency. Notably, a new Web-based client interface that implements the ClearingHouse protocol, Clearwallet, was also made public.

CoinDesk spoke with viacoin developer BTCDrak, who said that because the ClearingHouse protocol is built on top of the viacoin block chain, certain structural and political complications that have previously plagued decentralized contract platforms are largely sidestepped.

He explained:

“Because ClearingHouse and viacoin are part of the same project, the viacoin block chain will always accommodate ClearingHouse’s needs.”

He added that, in the past, the teams behind projects like Counterparty have faced pressure from bitcoin’s development community that ultimately impeded progress. Using viacoin as a basis, ClearingHouse-based projects can avoid these obstacles entirely.

First look at smart contract protocol

Clearwallet is the first implementation of ClearingHouse, giving users a decentralized environment for conducting various contracts. No keys are stored on the server and all transactions happen purely between the two parties.

As shown in the image above, the simple user interface currently offers an asset marketplace, a betting terminal and section for decentralized games. Clearwallet also offers a live chat box, with early adopters already investigating the implementation.

In its original announcement, the viacoin-ClearingHouse development team announced that the exchange rate between VIA and XCH would be 100 XCH per VIA. A 45-day sale period has already begun, with a diminishing exchange rate that will end at 85 XCH for each viacoin.

According to BTCDrak, exchange volume is up and nearly 230,000 viacoins have been converted to XCH, or roughly 143 BTC at press time. Users have already executed several trades in Clearwallet’s VIA/XCH marketplace.

Looking ahead, reputation and identity support will be implemented that add further layers of complexity to how the protocol can be leveraged. As the team noted in the blog post, this includes the creation of decentralized organizations, facilitation of online polls, the sale of goods and services and even the development of new cryptocurrencies.

Decentralized platforms grow in number

The ClearingHouse protocol represents the latest entry in a group of decentralized contract platforms, which also includes Counterparty and the off-block chain decentralized contract network BitHalo. Ripple Labs is also working on its own smart contracts platform, Codius.

Beyond contracts, decentralized platforms are attracting attention for their intrinsic security and appeal to a broad segment of the bitcoin community. It’s this level of grassroots support that has made such projects largely possible.

Among the projects taking shape in this space is BitcoinJ developer Mike Hearn’s decentralized crowdfunding platform Lighthouse. While no date has been given, the platform is expected to launch sometime in the next month.

Commerce has also proved to be a major area for decentralized development. Peer-to-peer marketplace OpenBazaar, created by Brian Hoffman and based on the Toronto Bitcoin Expo Hackathon winner DarkMarket, seeks to bring the principals behind decentralized actions to consumer-to-merchant interaction.
Activity: 443
I think you should make it clear that people are essentially buying XCH coins with VIA in the equivalent of an IPO/ICO.  Using the word "burn" just confuses matters as burn in crypto-currencies means putting coins beyond use in some way.  The VIA exchanged here can and will be used.  Why use the word "burn" at all?

I think it is because you can get the coin (XCH) right away.
IPO / ICO usually means that there's a launch date and the coins are not available yet.
Therefore, it is prefectly okay to call it burn or better word "exchange" Via for XCH

Most IPO/ICOs give the coins right away - the ones that don't are the exception.  Also why that would make it necessary to use the word burn is absolutely unclear.  

It is likely that what was initially going to happen was exactly that - the VIA used were going to be destroyed .i.e. burned.  
Now it has been changed to a straight sale (probably because someone has realised that those VIA are quite valuable now).  

If that is the case it is only reasonable to change the word "burn" as it is being intentionally misleading to continue to use it.  

Burn has a distinct meaning that relates specifically to the destruction of coins.  

Selling coins, whether on an exchange, IPO/ICO or via other means is not called burning and never has been.

While he referenced burn, I thought he clearly described this as a fire sale.   
legendary
Activity: 952
I think you should make it clear that people are essentially buying XCH coins with VIA in the equivalent of an IPO/ICO.  Using the word "burn" just confuses matters as burn in crypto-currencies means putting coins beyond use in some way.  The VIA exchanged here can and will be used.  Why use the word "burn" at all?

I think it is because you can get the coin (XCH) right away.
IPO / ICO usually means that there's a launch date and the coins are not available yet.
Therefore, it is prefectly okay to call it burn or better word "exchange" Via for XCH

Most IPO/ICOs give the coins right away - the ones that don't are the exception.  Also why that would make it necessary to use the word burn is absolutely unclear.  

It is likely that what was initially going to happen was exactly that - the VIA used were going to be destroyed .i.e. burned.  
Now it has been changed to a straight sale (probably because someone has realised that those VIA are quite valuable now).  

If that is the case it is only reasonable to change the word "burn" as it is being intentionally misleading to continue to use it.  

Burn has a distinct meaning that relates specifically to the destruction of coins.  

Selling coins, whether on an exchange, IPO/ICO or via other means is not called burning and never has been.
Activity: 245
Ok, so what if all VIA get sold for XCH.. Then what determines the price of VIA? Still free market or?

Also do you use BTC to buy some VIA to pay fees or can you trade XCH back for VIA? Getting there. just a lot to take in lol.  I'm still not sure what to do. If all sell VIA for XCH, there will be loads of those and noone will be holding any VIA, resulting in lower price per XCH and higher price of VIA; am i missing something? This stuff makes me feel kinda dumb lol...
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Will there be an XCH/BTC trading pair?
legendary
Activity: 952
I think you should make it clear that people are essentially buying XCH coins with VIA in the equivalent of an IPO/ICO.  Using the word "burn" just confuses matters as burn in crypto-currencies means putting coins beyond use in some way.  The VIA exchanged here can and will be used.  Why use the word "burn" at all?
Activity: 40
sounds good
legendary
Activity: 1064
I want to be clear. I am not hating on Bitcoin, it's just their position is different and in many ways I sympathise with their standpoint. It just not very practical for downstream projects. That was my main motivation for all this... I have been thinking about doing it since October 2013. Since no-one filled the gap, I eventually went for it.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 265
Pepemo.vip
After playing around with Counterparty for a few weeks I've found that one of the show-stopping failures of its design is the fact that after placing a buy order you must stay online until the orders match, with Counterwallet open for the BTCpay to go through.  If the buyer's Counterwallet is no longer open, your sell order will match but the BTCpay will never happen, the match will expire, and your order may or may not be rematch with another order, or the same unfunded order again.  This causes the market bid/ask to get crossed, and the orderbook to get stuffed with tons of fake bids that no one intends to fill.

Just curious if Clearwallet will suffer some from the same design flaw and if you have any strategy to alleviate it?

Valid point. I have the same experience. But this was only when you used BTC to buy something as I described before. If you used XCP to buy another asset, this was not a problem. By analogy I expect similar problems here when VIA is used to buy some other asset on the decentralized exchange. This is why I said that XCH will be useful for trading on the decentralized exchaange. VIA will be more useful for direct payments (and fees of course).

But maybe Drak has different plans. He should explain this.

As it stands there is no way to auto-settle contracts where VIA is one half of the trade so at the moment there is no solution. However, because we are in control over both Viacoin and ClearingHouse, there may be changes we can make. This is the important thing to understand here. Mastercoin and Counterparty have been trying to work around a very unwilling bitcoin for all this time. If we need to change something in Viacoin, we can do it without fear. Those projects on the other hand have to dodge bullets as Bitcoin Core outlaws more and more stuff to block what they deem as blockchain spam.

that's a really good point. this alone can make via a powerhouse.

Viacoin is in a position to truly innovate.
legendary
After playing around with Counterparty for a few weeks I've found that one of the show-stopping failures of its design is the fact that after placing a buy order you must stay online until the orders match, with Counterwallet open for the BTCpay to go through.  If the buyer's Counterwallet is no longer open, your sell order will match but the BTCpay will never happen, the match will expire, and your order may or may not be rematch with another order, or the same unfunded order again.  This causes the market bid/ask to get crossed, and the orderbook to get stuffed with tons of fake bids that no one intends to fill.

Just curious if Clearwallet will suffer some from the same design flaw and if you have any strategy to alleviate it?

Valid point. I have the same experience. But this was only when you used BTC to buy something as I described before. If you used XCP to buy another asset, this was not a problem. By analogy I expect similar problems here when VIA is used to buy some other asset on the decentralized exchange. This is why I said that XCH will be useful for trading on the decentralized exchaange. VIA will be more useful for direct payments (and fees of course).

As it stands there is no way to auto-settle contracts where VIA is one half of the trade so at the moment there is no solution. However, because we are in control over both Viacoin and ClearingHouse, there may be changes we can make. This is the important thing to understand here. Mastercoin and Counterparty have been trying to work around a very unwilling bitcoin for all this time. If we need to change something in Viacoin, we can do it without fear. Those projects on the other hand have to dodge bullets as Bitcoin Core outlaws more and more stuff to block what they deem as blockchain spam.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
xcp high value would also be a flaw. Lets say that at some point in the future due to the lack of available xcp that 1 xcp is worth $1,000. No one in their right mind would pay $1,000 just to complete one single transaction on clearing house. The system would eventually be to expensive for anyone to consider using.

Exchange fees are paid in Via.
Activity: 280
Who cares?
If I have understood everything correctly. First of all no more xch can be created ever after the 45 day viacoin exchange period. Yet everytime you do something within clearinghouse like for example create an asset or contract to do so requires the destruction/burn of one or more xch. This would eventually mean that the world would run out of xch, so then what?

Satoshi called destruction of bitcoins a donation to everyone else. XCH running out completely seems highly unlikely.

I am somewhat worried by another thing. If very many VIAs are sold this way and there is no limit, a large portion of VIA supply will be in control of one man (Drak), this is dangerous. Large concentration of ownership will undermine confidence in VIA on the market. VIA will be ridiculed by rival coins with (pretended) fair distribution and so on.

You could also say the same about the amount of funds stored at exchanges. If this became a problem I would certainly take steps to minimize any concern but I doubt this will be a problem. FYI Otoh controls 1.5MM viacoins and it's not been a cause of concern.

Isn't Satoshi supposedly holding something like 980,000 BTC? 
Activity: 10
xcp high value would also be a flaw. Lets say that at some point in the future due to the lack of available xcp that 1 xcp is worth $1,000. No one in their right mind would pay $1,000 just to complete one single transaction on clearing house. The system would eventually be to expensive for anyone to consider using.
legendary
If I have understood everything correctly. First of all no more xch can be created ever after the 45 day viacoin exchange period. Yet everytime you do something within clearinghouse like for example create an asset or contract to do so requires the destruction/burn of one or more xch. This would eventually mean that the world would run out of xch, so then what?

Satoshi called destruction of bitcoins a donation to everyone else. XCH running out completely seems highly unlikely.

I am somewhat worried by another thing. If very many VIAs are sold this way and there is no limit, a large portion of VIA supply will be in control of one man (Drak), this is dangerous. Large concentration of ownership will undermine confidence in VIA on the market. VIA will be ridiculed by rival coins with (pretended) fair distribution and so on.

You could also say the same about the amount of funds stored at exchanges. If this became a problem I would certainly take steps to minimize any concern but I doubt this will be a problem. FYI Otoh controls 1.5MM viacoins and it's not been a cause of concern.

Pages:
Jump to: