Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN]ASICMiner Publicly Looking for Potential Customers/Partners for New Chips - page 6. (Read 54971 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!

Now if someone could just invent a BTC miner that pumped out cold air! My A/C is already running non-stop from all of the excess heat.  Sad

That would be great but I think it would violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

Damn you Physics!   Grin
Activity: 770
Merit: 509

I'm actually designing a house right now and I'm very tempted to use bitcoin miners instead of boilers, to generate heat (heaters, hot water etc)... and sure, I'm paying for expensive electric heating, but they're earning coins at the same time, so it means free heating !

Thats what I did to partially heat my house this winter.  I bought some AM cubes in November, positive ROI, and kept the house warm while mining.

Now if someone could just invent a BTC miner that pumped out cold air! My A/C is already running non-stop from all of the excess heat.  Sad

2 phase Immersion cooling might be the solution.

No heat. No sound. Much less space required.
Activity: 161
Merit: 100
For all you AM fans, this might be slightly disturbing:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6358781

Seems AM are going to build some 8 million chips by June. That's a lot of wafers, and a lot of capacity. It will take them a good few months to deploy it, but when they do it's going to drastically affect earnings, I'd estimate by September that the network rate will be 200PH. At that level, a TH of power might earn you $195 a month after you've paid for your power, and they'll want to add the same again, no doubt.

I just don't understand your enthusiasm for your soon-to-be biggest competitor? (albeit indirectly)
AM's goal is to reclaim the lead in chips and keep it.  To avoid the centralization debate, the emphasis is on selling chips to anyone who wants to create their own miners.
in the long run, we should see something like the Intel/AMD (maybe few others will join Bitcoin ASIC chip producers club) as they relate to PC/server manufacturing today. 

AM's goal is to make a lot of money, and they seem to be determined to out produce everyone else, in the process they'll make mining completely uneconomical for everyone who doesn't have their economies of scale. Do you really think a DIY miner is going to be able to make their rigs at a cost that will allow them to compete? Even if third parties produce systems or subsystems you're not going to get hashing power at anywhere near the headline $0.5/GH in AM's initial release, it you think otherwise you're going to be disappointed. They are not your friends or saviours, they should be viewed as your mortal enemies, financially at any rate.

As for Intel and AMD, financially to them Bitcoin is a minor sideshow. If Intel wanted to, it could make a chip that would make previous efforts look like amateur hour, and it could do so in less than a few months. But why bother when it can make huge margins off it's server cpus which are sole source?
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

That would be great but I think it would violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!

I'm actually designing a house right now and I'm very tempted to use bitcoin miners instead of boilers, to generate heat (heaters, hot water etc)... and sure, I'm paying for expensive electric heating, but they're earning coins at the same time, so it means free heating !

Thats what I did to partially heat my house this winter.  I bought some AM cubes in November, positive ROI, and kept the house warm while mining.

donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!

what you've described isn't per se a use for AM's chip.  you're describing a new coin entirely.. that is somehow related to the production and printing process... i.e., the 3d printing machine would have to be linked internally to the '3d printing coin'... so that they are inextricably linked...
We should be able to use Bitcoin (not btc) instead of re-inventing the wheel?
Activity: 702
Merit: 500

Seems AM are going to build some 8 million chips by June. That's a lot of wafers, and a lot of capacity. It will take them a good few months to deploy it, but when they do it's going to drastically affect earnings, I'd estimate by September that the network rate will be 200PH. At that level, a TH of power might earn you $195 a month after you've paid for your power, and they'll want to add the same again, no doubt.

I just don't understand your enthusiasm for your soon-to-be biggest competitor? (albeit indirectly)
AM's goal is to reclaim the lead in chips and keep it.  To avoid the centralization debate, the emphasis is on selling chips to anyone who wants to create their own miners.
in the long run, we should see something like the Intel/AMD (maybe few others will join Bitcoin ASIC chip producers club) as they relate to PC/server manufacturing today.  i.e. AM makes the chips, but other companies build miners to satisfy different market segments.

also, very soon, there's no reason why Samsung TVs, DVD players etc... shouldn't have a swap-able card that runs Bitcoin mining chip/s.  that device may be "free" to you if you provide electricity/internet and Samsung keeps mined btc?  (substitute Samsung for any other maker of some appliance).

it's possible that the entertainment industry can use Bitcoin to "solve" the piracy "issue" when they finally see the light and get some forward thinking, technology understanding board members at Hollywood & Co.

and 3d printing can benefit by using Bitcoin to deliver one time use/print designs for an item you print at home or local Kinko's (former or new 3D-Kinkos).  no need to go to store to buy a cup for ex.  (also, no need for another country to manufacture it and ship it in a container overseas).  Your payment for a printed item, can be made to multiple parties in the new supply chain: the designer of the item and the raw material manufacturer.  the 3d printer could have a chip to help process printing requests and handle instant payments to all involved (no need to have NET 30 terms when I buy a cup, everyone gets paid instantly).  this is a high level, simple example using a cup, let your imagination run wild.

devices/systems that utilize Bitcoin (yes, upper B) network may need/want chips for uses besides just mining for bitcoins.  AM is positioning to take the lead and keep it.

This is an interesting concept, Canary.  I can imagine this might spur a startup or two--is anyone talking about something like this I could read more about?

there are already systems under development (near release) from the 3d printing leaders to offer pay per use 3d printing.  its also been proposed doing licensing for printing popular likenesses and characters etc, as well as in-store printing of your own figures etc.  this is coming to the retail and home environment, regardless of bitcoin and isn't specifically a bitcoin related business.

http://www.3dsystems.com/press-releases/staples-partners-3d-systems-launch-store-3d-printing-experience-new-york-and-los

its not clear how bitcoin itself helps avoid piracy... although in general - business model-wise - if only the movie industry would offer its content in a form, and at a time when the customers wanted it (and pay for it) maybe there'd be a lot less piracy.  these staggered windowed releases and staggered territory releases are whats hurting them.. yet again, bitcoin or not.

How are you suggesting that AsicMiner's bitcoin mining chips can be useful outside of mining for bitcoins?  you mean mining for some other SHA-256 coin?, or are you referring to non-mining uses (are there any?)

well, as with proof of work and elimination of double spending (Bitcoin), proof of consumption can be done so that you don't "get" a second copy for "free"?  if you print that cup, it was actually printed beyond any doubt and when you watched that movie, you actually did.
of course with proof of consumption ideas, the price per item should come down significantly, that cup may cost you pennies, so should the movie.  you pay per "proved" use/consumption?

what you've described isn't per se a use for AM's chip.  you're describing a new coin entirely.. that is somehow related to the production and printing process... i.e., the 3d printing machine would have to be linked internally to the '3d printing coin'... so that they are inextricably linked...
donator

in the long run, we should see something like the Intel/AMD (maybe few others will join Bitcoin ASIC chip producers club) as they relate to PC/server manufacturing today.  i.e. AM makes the chips, but other companies build miners to satisfy different market segments.

also, very soon, there's no reason why Samsung TVs, DVD players etc... shouldn't have a swap-able card that runs Bitcoin mining chip/s.  that device may be "free" to you if you provide electricity/internet and Samsung keeps mined btc?  (substitute Samsung for any other maker of some appliance).

it's possible that the entertainment industry can use Bitcoin to "solve" the piracy "issue" when they finally see the light and get some forward thinking, technology understanding board members at Hollywood & Co.

and 3d printing can benefit by using Bitcoin to deliver one time use/print designs for an item you print at home or local Kinko's (former or new 3D-Kinkos).  no need to go to store to buy a cup for ex.  (also, no need for another country to manufacture it and ship it in a container overseas).  Your payment for a printed item, can be made to multiple parties in the new supply chain: the designer of the item and the raw material manufacturer.  the 3d printer could have a chip to help process printing requests and handle instant payments to all involved (no need to have NET 30 terms when I buy a cup, everyone gets paid instantly).  this is a high level, simple example using a cup, let your imagination run wild.

devices/systems that utilize Bitcoin (yes, upper B) network may need/want chips for uses besides just mining for bitcoins.  AM is positioning to take the lead and keep it.

This is an interesting concept, Canary.  I can imagine this might spur a startup or two--is anyone talking about something like this I could read more about?

there are already systems under development (near release) from the 3d printing leaders to offer pay per use 3d printing.  its also been proposed doing licensing for printing popular likenesses and characters etc, as well as in-store printing of your own figures etc.  this is coming to the retail and home environment, regardless of bitcoin and isn't specifically a bitcoin related business.

http://www.3dsystems.com/press-releases/staples-partners-3d-systems-launch-store-3d-printing-experience-new-york-and-los

its not clear how bitcoin itself helps avoid piracy... although in general - business model-wise - if only the movie industry would offer its content in a form, and at a time when the customers wanted it (and pay for it) maybe there'd be a lot less piracy.  these staggered windowed releases and staggered territory releases are whats hurting them.. yet again, bitcoin or not.

How are you suggesting that AsicMiner's bitcoin mining chips can be useful outside of mining for bitcoins?  you mean mining for some other SHA-256 coin?, or are you referring to non-mining uses (are there any?)

well, as with proof of work and elimination of double spending (Bitcoin), proof of consumption can be done so that you don't "get" a second copy for "free"?  if you print that cup, it was actually printed beyond any doubt and when you watched that movie, you actually did.
of course with proof of consumption ideas, the price per item should come down significantly, that cup may cost you pennies, so should the movie.  you pay per "proved" use/consumption?
legendary

In the medium to long term, why not put a few ASIC chips into a device that uses power to produce heat (electric hot water heater, oven, space heater) and earn some satoshi while running?  You could recuperate some of the electricity cost that way.

donator

not aware of specific startups but in today's world, when you get an idea, it's probably not unique anymore... wouldn't surprise me if these concepts are being worked on already.  I mentioned one of the ideas a while back on Reddit, maybe someone picked up on it already.
legendary

In the medium to long term, why not put a few ASIC chips into a device that uses power to produce heat (electric hot water heater, oven, space heater) and earn some satoshi while running?  You could recuperate some of the electricity cost that way.

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

donator

vs3
Activity: 622
Reference PCB File - https://mega.co.nz/#!DZVHgS6D!6pmTsmrito8rfVJJ-etvznOtUcalbAT6vU-C8EqY0_I

I'm having troubles downloading that file ... has anyone else been able to get it?
Activity: 686
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

They're not deploying that power for self mining. They're selling those chips. Still the same increase, but that's simply the way things go.
Activity: 441
Merit: 250

legendary
Update

The documents as well as the (verified & produced) sample design are out:

Schematics - https://mega.co.nz/#!uNMkFZoI!lnlRehlynQQzNRfQ87_UYek1RtrOUvLZ6a074XeRqlo

Reference PCB File - https://mega.co.nz/#!DZVHgS6D!6pmTsmrito8rfVJJ-etvznOtUcalbAT6vU-C8EqY0_I

datasheet - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_dmXzyMqtr7tVZukk2DAJih2sRq5jDy5DQPkwCce570/edit?usp=sharing

bonding list - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1fvFT7Sd5bdFFZSUllNW5seVRfM01kcDVqZkJfdFE&usp=sharing

9x9 package pictures -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11fvFT7Sd5bUV90cFN4cEhTNEk/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11fvFT7Sd5banZkMDZqSTBGTEE/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11fvFT7Sd5bWjh6MmJsMFpCYkU/edit?usp=sharing

8x8 package picture -
https://mega.co.nz/#!DA1mBJzB!7hFnoT8ZYQd1d30m2oHbuscD36cCQ4ou7stsr5Lo03Y

The package we are using is 9mmx9mm, but it might be partly switched to 8mmx8mm.
Also, we plan to increase the center pad size to at least 7mmx7mm, so please leave enough margin on the PCB to avoid unnecessary re-designs.

Excellent!  This is great news
Activity: 489
Immersionist
The actual consumption will depend on the PCB design that the miner will implement and the DC to DC power circuit (buck regulator, MOSFETs, etc). The only thing we know today is the info from Rockxie's first tests with the test board he designed. He had some component problems unrelated to BE200 as far as I know.

I assume the AM BE200 does not support a "OneString" design?
Pages:
Jump to: