Author

Topic: [ANN][Blocknet] truly decentralized exchange | token ecosystem infrastructure - page 205. (Read 1103293 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Ok. I understand. I'm sure you have considered how the existence of a private group within the larger group appears exclusionary and how that just might not resonate well with the the excluded "have not so manys". How long will it take for the private group to begin to exert itself in the matter of policy decisions? It's like the current structure of publicly held corporations where the elitist boards of directors get to call the shots while the regular shareholders lack any real say (by and large, granting the occasional exception) in how the company is run.

As soon as you create an arbitrary line between "us" and "them" you begin to descend a slippery slope.

Your input has been duly noted.

For the record, my intention is not to have the private group evolve into something that could influence the decisions made by the Blocknet Foundation "behind closed doors" per se.

In fact, I'd like to think that this would be very difficult to execute, given the fact that Slack will be community-moderated. It is my hope that, due to the quantity and wide range of vested interests of the community moderators, if questionable behavior were to emerge in the private group that it would be addressed, dealt with, and squashed before making any real impact.

Also, the amount I have proposed, 1000 tokens, is hardly an elitist quantity in my opinion. This amount makes the private group accessible to almost everyone who holds tokens. 1000 tokens today can be obtained for ~$50 USD. It's enough to deter those who only wish to detract, but not so much that it could be considered an elitist entry.

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
FLY DONATION ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE
So what's the deal with BLOCK? havent been around for a while and just checking in??
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
Do you see Maidsafe or Bitshares with a heavy presence on this forum? No.

This subforum is over-run by trolls. It's not a professional or productive environment to host our "base discussion".

95% of the people that regularly posted and supported BLock/XC here have zero problem with Slack.

Activity: 387
Why should there be an entry barrier based on the amount of tokens owned? Am I any less a supporter of the blocknet because I own less than 1000 tokens? Is my voice somehow less relevant? Setting a barrier to entry based on the number of tokens owned flies in the face of the whole cryptocurrency movement. It's crap.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

Allow me to clarify.

There will never be any barrier to entry to the Slack chat. Anyone is welcome to register for Slack and to follow the activity taking place there.

My intention is to create a private group within the Slack chat for verified holders of a set amount of tokens.

I think that both the supporters/investors and the Blocknet developers would value having such a space where everyone has a verified vested interest in the project.

However, you are right that this would precipitate the unfortunate scenario where some token holders would not be invited to the private group within the public Slack chat.

And that is why I am asking for input.

Yes, I agree that 1,000 BLOCK should be the cutoff for the private group.  Even with 1000 tokens, that still allows the top 173 holders into the group.  That is my vote.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Why should there be an entry barrier based on the amount of tokens owned? Am I any less a supporter of the blocknet because I own less than 1000 tokens? Is my voice somehow less relevant? Setting a barrier to entry based on the number of tokens owned flies in the face of the whole cryptocurrency movement. It's crap.

Allow me to clarify.

There will never be any barrier to entry to the Slack chat. Anyone is welcome to register for Slack and to follow the activity taking place there.

My intention is to create a private group within the Slack chat for verified holders of a set amount of tokens.

I think that both the supporters/investors and the Blocknet developers would value having such a space where everyone has a verified vested interest in the project.

However, you are right that this would precipitate the unfortunate scenario where some token holders would not be invited to the private group within the public Slack chat.

Ok. I understand. I'm sure you have considered how the existence of a private group within the larger group appears exclusionary and how that just might not resonate well with the the excluded "have not so manys". How long will it take for the private group to begin to exert itself in the matter of policy decisions? It's like the current structure of publicly held corporations where the elitist boards of directors get to call the shots while the regular shareholders lack any real say (by and large, granting the occasional exception) in how the company is run.

As soon as you create an arbitrary line between "us" and "them" you begin to descend a slippery slope.

Allow me to clarify.

@everyone

Say what you will about Blocknet moving from this forum to Slack, but the fact of the matter is that Slack is, hands-down, a much better platform than this forum.

Have you tried it? Believe me, it's awesome. This forum is technologically outdated. There's nothing wrong with transitioning to a superior platform.

All are welcome to move with us to Slack.

It is a community-driven initiative and it will be community-moderated.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Almost ready with the Slack here...recovering from the flu so it's taken a tad longer than I'd hoped.

I want to maintain a private group of verified holders of Blocknet tokens on Slack.

So I seek input as to what amount of tokens should be set as the barrier to entry.

1000 tokens has been proposed by a few XC supporters.

This would represent an approximate contribution of $100 USD to the ITO.

Now's your time to give your input!

Why should there be an entry barrier based on the amount of tokens owned? Am I any less a supporter of the blocknet because I own less than 1000 tokens? Is my voice somehow less relevant? Setting a barrier to entry based on the number of tokens owned (creating a blocknet elite of haves while excluding the "have not so manys") flies in the face of the whole cryptocurrency movement. It's crap.
legendary
Activity: 896

The above post contains a clear error of reasoning.

Its author claims that if you use something for gain, then it would be wrong to be degrading toward that something.

But it is a perfectly correct thing to do if the thing in question is, in fact, deplorable.

For example, imagine soliciting charitable donations from the people running a concentration camp.
- Are the donations good? Yes.
- Are at least some of the people good? Yes one must allow for that.
- Is the camp a moral catastrophe? Yes.

You're correct that I have "no problem using this forum for the good that it brings [me]."
I also have no problem calling it pile of filth overrun by poop 'n scoop scammers, and no place for constructive conversation.

I call on all the good people here, and those who've supported us, to join us on Slack when Infinitechaos posts the invitation.

See ya.

I guess there will be no reason for you to make any further posts on this forum then.

Good luck with your project.

Edit: 

I'm sure that many people will find your comparison of a concentration camp to this forum offensive.  But I doubt you even care.

Almost ready with the Slack here...recovering from the flu so it's taken a tad longer than I'd hoped.

I want to maintain a private group of verified holders of Blocknet tokens on Slack.

So I seek input as to what amount of tokens should be set as the barrier to entry.

1000 tokens has been proposed by a few XC supporters.

This would represent an approximate contribution of $100 USD to the ITO.

Now's your time to give your input!
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market

The above post contains a clear error of reasoning.

Its author claims that if you use something for gain, then it would be wrong to be degrading toward that something.

But it is a perfectly correct thing to do if the thing in question is, in fact, deplorable.

For example, imagine soliciting charitable donations from the people running a concentration camp.
- Are the donations good? Yes.
- Are at least some of the people good? Yes one must allow for that.
- Is the camp a moral catastrophe? Yes.

You're correct that I have "no problem using this forum for the good that it brings [me]."
I also have no problem calling it pile of filth overrun by poop 'n scoop scammers, and no place for constructive conversation.

I call on all the good people here, and those who've supported us, to join us on Slack when Infinitechaos posts the invitation.

legendary
Activity: 896

Dear trolls, shills, fudsters, and poop 'n scoop scammers

If you think that the sorts of posts you made on this thread this afternoon/evening constitute sufficiently meaningful engagement, then you're part of the problem we're solving.

Bitcointalk is a colossal waste of everyone's time (including yours).
Also, how is it that the major forum for crypto discussion is still, despite all credulity, stuck in Web 1.0? It boggles my mind.
What a ridiculous pile of filth you've gotten used to. What a deplorable mode of engagement with others you pass off as "normal."

I can't say it's been "real," but it certainly has been a waste of energy.

Here's to striving for productive, critical discussion on Slack.

I don't have anything to say good or bad regarding Blocknet.  But this post is over the top.  You used this venue for your gain.  Now you make statements totally degrading the legitimacy of this forum.  You've engaged in the same "deplorable mode of engagement" that you now chastise others for.  You have no problem using this forum for the good that it brings you such as a wide audience to offer your ITO to.  Now that you've raised your funds and have the money in the bank you treat this forum like shit.  Wow.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Fibre Knight
We'll probably keep our presence on Bitcointalk limited to an announcements-only thread, and of course whatever unofficial discussions take place.

There are two core issues with keeping this thread open:
- it occupies an inordinate amount of our time to respond to/deal with/fend off trolls, shills, scammers, etc. and this takes away from development time.
- responding to FUD just propagates it. Therefore it's better that FUD doesn't come to exist in the first place.

I just use my ignore button. Seems to be working. Can we start there and just have them experience the good conversations without actually getting involved? They can continue to act like animals in a cage without getting in our way. If new folks come along, they will read back through and understand. Especially when things start popping. But slack does seem a lot better for real communication so you can just boot the agitators to the project.
legendary
Activity: 817
We should start a drinking game for the amount of times these guys say, "troll", "shill", "FUD".
legendary
We'll probably keep our presence on Bitcointalk limited to an announcements-only thread, and of course whatever unofficial discussions take place.

There are two core issues with keeping this thread open:
- it occupies an inordinate amount of our time to respond to/deal with/fend off trolls, shills, scammers, etc. and this takes away from development time.
- responding to FUD just propagates it. Therefore it's better that FUD doesn't come to exist in the first place.

Activity: 593
Merit: 500
Activity: 196
Fibre Knight
Don't you think, moving over to slack will just make their fud attempts find stronger ground? I mean we have successfully managed to raise the minimum ICO amount and also managed to stroll through bypassing all their fud/shill attempts.

Why not ride it out till the end? Once everything is finished & live, all these fudsters will just look like clowns to everyone across the crypto scene.

He does make a good point. If you give me the power, I know which trolls to remove immediately every time they post. I am connected 24x7 Smiley
Activity: 211
Don't you think, moving over to slack will just make their fud attempts find stronger ground? I mean we have successfully managed to raise the minimum ICO amount and also managed to stroll through bypassing all their fud/shill attempts.

Why not ride it out till the end? Once everything is finished & live, all these fudsters will just look like clowns to everyone across the crypto scene.

Activity: 387
what is slack? link?

The address will be theblocknet.slack.com.

There will be a registration form.

I am getting it set up right now. There are a few things I need to do first before it's ready.

In the meantime, visit slack.com and perhaps acquire yourselves a Slack app for your devices.

For those of you who have not used Slack yet, once registered you will have access to the BlockNET Slack 'team'. Within this 'team' will be a channel for each coin in BlockNET as well as other channels for random topics, trading, announcements, etc. We will need moderators for these channels.

I was thinking that maybe each coin in BlockNET could appoint a trusted supporter to help moderate.

We want this to be community-moderated.

Please post this in your respective coins' thread (I have to go now - later I will check and see if this has been posted in any other threads and, if not, do it myself) and PM me if interested in being a moderator.

Hang tight! It's almost ready.  Grin

I will definitely be watching for the link, and will be joining when Slack is ready.  Thanks.
legendary
Itod, if one denigrates an environment, one does not thereby denigrate one's supporters.

In your eagerness to troll the Blocknet, you might've neglected to note this remark:
Thanks for your ongoing support. See you on Slack!

And yes, I do "dare" to say that Bitcointalk has become a toxic environment overrun by trolls and poop 'n scoop scammers.

So kindly piss off with your wilful amnesia. I did in fact thank our supporters. Multiple times.

Jump to: