Author

Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000 - page 286. (Read 2170648 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
quarkchain.io
Try some seagate - SV35 series
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004
In the next week I'll buy some HDDs. Does anyone has a favourite one on Newegg or on another website ?
Activity: 248
Merit: 100
I'm not real
Hey Blago,  Can this miner be used for solo mining?  I tried to set it up and it only blinks briefly and closes.  
Nothing in the log file as to why it closed.  I change the mode to "pool" and the miner starts up fine, so I'm
pretty sure the config syntax is ok.  I change the mode to "solo" and it just flashes briefly, and closes"  
Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks,
dp

just I checked to be working fine in solo mode...
PM your config (not log-file!)

sounds like what I'm experiencing too with new version
Activity: 416
Merit: 250
Hey Blago,  Can this miner be used for solo mining?  I tried to set it up and it only blinks briefly and closes.  
Nothing in the log file as to why it closed.  I change the mode to "pool" and the miner starts up fine, so I'm
pretty sure the config syntax is ok.  I change the mode to "solo" and it just flashes briefly, and closes"  

Thanks,
dp

just I checked to be working fine in solo mode...
PM your config (not log-file!)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
[miner]

new version Burst-miner v1.150509
https://github.com/Blagodarenko/miner-burst/releases/download/1.150509/miner-burst-1.150509.zip

- solved memory usage issue
- parameter "UseCleanMem" did not used
- key "q" - quit/exit
- key "m" - memory cleaner
- new lib pdcurses.dll

limits:
Nonces, stagger and CacheSize must be a multiple of HDD's sector size / 64 ( 4096 by default / 64 = 64 ).
Miner's window not resizing and not scrolling.

https://i.imgur.com/MP67ZXV.jpg

https://github.com/Blagodarenko/miner-burst

Hey Blago,  Can this miner be used for solo mining?  I tried to set it up and it only blinks briefly and closes. 
Nothing in the log file as to why it closed.  I change the mode to "pool" and the miner starts up fine, so I'm
pretty sure the config syntax is ok.  I change the mode to "solo" and it just flashes briefly, and closes" 

Thanks,
dp
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072
https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org
Warning, I would not want to be holding on to namecoin currently:  http://cointelegraph.com/news/114129/why-namecoin-didnt-take-off-a-cautionary-tale

Also, potentially some good lessons for us to learn as well.  In my opinion we need to figure out a good POC algorithm that is truly ASIC proof, which I'm convinced is possible.  Then after that we need to work on being as user friendly as possible and solving users problems.
"1. Namecoin wasn't easy enough to use. The wallet still sucks, and there were no resolvers or good tutorials until I got involved. And that was three years after Namecoin existed. If they'd had a great wallet, a good resolver, and good tutorials from day one, Dot-Bit domains could likely be universal by now.

The developers spent way too much time working on the nuance of perfecting each leaf in the forest (adding tons of minute functions most people wouldn't use) without seeing the overall picture of trees (usability to drive adoption)."

see any similarities??? Smiley

There are many usability projects in the works. Including mobile wallets and simple GUI plotter/miner combo programs. They may not be as fast as we may like them, coming into the market, however, they ARE there, and the core team of this coin is ever expanding, adding members useful in all aspects, and reaching out to various forms of promotion and assistance and development.

BURST has a VERY bright future, and I think of times like these, when people are saying things like this, as a great time to BUY.

Maybe it is because I see the inside, but I can see this coin becoming HUGE.

Go ahead with your naysayer babble, allow me to accumulate a BUNCH of my favorite coin for low prices.

I will continue to develop my projects, and so will everyone else involved in one way or another with this fantastic community/tech. Because we know, one day this will all be worth it.

Call me crazy, but I really don't see BURST doing anything but getting bigger. For quite a while to come.

^5 to the BURST true believers Wink
I'm not real
Warning, I would not want to be holding on to namecoin currently:  http://cointelegraph.com/news/114129/why-namecoin-didnt-take-off-a-cautionary-tale

Also, potentially some good lessons for us to learn as well.  In my opinion we need to figure out a good POC algorithm that is truly ASIC proof, which I'm convinced is possible.  Then after that we need to work on being as user friendly as possible and solving users problems.
"1. Namecoin wasn't easy enough to use. The wallet still sucks, and there were no resolvers or good tutorials until I got involved. And that was three years after Namecoin existed. If they'd had a great wallet, a good resolver, and good tutorials from day one, Dot-Bit domains could likely be universal by now.

The developers spent way too much time working on the nuance of perfecting each leaf in the forest (adding tons of minute functions most people wouldn't use) without seeing the overall picture of trees (usability to drive adoption)."

see any similarities??? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 914
Merit: 1001
In my opinion.. short term, low prices are good, we need to attract more developers and entrepreneur types and let miners who are mining for short term profit go ahead and dump.. the more business and development minded people we get on board at these prices, the better long term.

I partially agree. Short term low prices are good, but as long as there is volume.  Haven't had any decent volume in ages. If people sell, but not make buy orders, it's not gonna happen. But I see the order book has increased slightly during this week

Please let the price fall down to 100 satoshi. At 100 satoshi i will place a 10 BTC buywall (and more BTC incoming if necessary).

today is the day. let's see how long we can buy BURST for under 100 satoshi Smiley

It will last under 100 for quite some time, its just another pump n dump coin sadly =(

Can you expand on this a bit? Why PnD? Abd why sadly?

How do you come to your conclusion given the novelty of the coin and still very active Devs delivering new features before other coins in the same genre?

To me it seems you just want a low price to get buy opportunities.

Naw, its just this coin is going the way of all other alts, gradual downtrend into nothing where anyone gives a shit about it anymore. I love this coin and the mining uniqueness, but its sad that its not catching on at all and hence thats when it becomes a pump n dump.

This coin is still pretty young. And ppl are not throwing money at every new alt coin anymore. The coins have to prove themselfes first, and that's whats currently happening with BURST. Active devs, a nice, energy friendly way to mine etc. I'm pretty sure BURST will have a bright future.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
In my opinion.. short term, low prices are good, we need to attract more developers and entrepreneur types and let miners who are mining for short term profit go ahead and dump.. the more business and development minded people we get on board at these prices, the better long term.

I partially agree. Short term low prices are good, but as long as there is volume.  Haven't had any decent volume in ages. If people sell, but not make buy orders, it's not gonna happen. But I see the order book has increased slightly during this week

Please let the price fall down to 100 satoshi. At 100 satoshi i will place a 10 BTC buywall (and more BTC incoming if necessary).

today is the day. let's see how long we can buy BURST for under 100 satoshi Smiley

It will last under 100 for quite some time, its just another pump n dump coin sadly =(

How do you come to your conclusion given the novelty of the coin and still very active Devs delivering new features before other coins in the same genre?

Naw, its just this coin is going the way of all other alts, gradual downtrend into nothing where anyone gives a shit about it anymore. I love this coin and the mining uniqueness, but its sad that its not catching on at all and hence thats when it becomes a pump n dump.
Activity: 462

Activity: 462
Tim Draper (& Co) seems not to read Twitter or this thread. Maybe we should change the strategy of the PR team:

http://www.coindesk.com/hedgy-1-2-million-smart-contract-bitcoin-derivatives/

Well I sort of feel like we are waiting to hammer out the details of POC2 before we can really talk to venture capitalists.  Maybe that isn't needed.

But it probably would be a good idea to start approaching them..  maybe we can try to talk to the same ones that funded Hedgy and tell them we've already got smart contracts working Smiley

For once Elmit actually contributes something useful. Grats.

Well, we have discussed it for several months, but as usual we have had too much to do to really act.

Rule 1. Never give credit to Elmit before a triple-check.

I'd hate to have to unignore his posts Wink
Activity: 527
Merit: 503

I partially agree. Short term low prices are good, but as long as there is volume.  Haven't had any decent volume in ages. If people sell, but not make buy orders, it's not gonna happen. But I see the order book has increased slightly during this week

Idk.. Not for long, inflation and volume is just so low for now. I still believe I this coin though.

Also, University of Pittsburgh is interested in providing is with interns top help us code. Could everyone contact your local university and ask for the same? I my opinion that is Bush's biggest weakness. We have one programmer, who is an amazing programmer but there is only so much one person can do and we really need a few more people developing the coin.
Hmm.. I was thinking about how to convince POC and POC 2 to come up with an attack against the bitshaving.

And realized that POC actually can be bitshaved too. You only store every other hash in the hash chain.

I may have another idea in mind for POC 2 though. One that means you don't even have to plot your harddrive in the first place.

this bitshaving is more expensive than simply storing the data somewhere.
if you shave one byte of 64 in each scoop of a nonce you have to check 256 options insstead of one during mining.
even if you find a better deadline than the original scoop would yield the network wont accept this solution.
so to do a 0,64% shaving you burn much more energy.
compared to rig costs this means if you run a 164 hdd rig you save one disk  Roll Eyes

another way to take statistical advantages would be to only store a reduced number of scoops to optimize your deadlines for the ones you have them stored for.
i have not looked into this in detail but the statistical idea is instead of mining with 100tb the whole day to mine on 3.6 blocks with a compareable storage of 1pb.
the tricky parts becomes disk io and at current diff levels this does not make sense. but maybe in some years.

I think this is true of POC2 which is basically POW. But as it stands.. It's currently better to only store partial plots for current algo. Say you store every other scoop, then if you are supposed to be pulling out of the bucket you have, you pull it from there. If you are planning to pull it out of a scoop that doesn't exist, then you pull it out of the previous one and hash it once to generate it.

But what if you just used the users hard drive in the current state, and they submitteded the merkle root for the drive (which would take time to calculate too) then when mining you required that they submit a specific branch of that merkle tree as proof it was their turn to mine?
Activity: 256
Hmm.. I was thinking about how to convince POC and POC 2 to come up with an attack against the bitshaving.

And realized that POC actually can be bitshaved too. You only store every other hash in the hash chain.

I may have another idea in mind for POC 2 though. One that means you don't even have to plot your harddrive in the first place.

this bitshaving is more expensive than simply storing the data somewhere.
if you shave one byte of 64 in each scoop of a nonce you have to check 256 options insstead of one during mining.
even if you find a better deadline than the original scoop would yield the network wont accept this solution.
so to do a 0,64% shaving you burn much more energy.
compared to rig costs this means if you run a 164 hdd rig you save one disk  Roll Eyes

another way to take statistical advantages would be to only store a reduced number of scoops to optimize your deadlines for the ones you have them stored for.
i have not looked into this in detail but the statistical idea is instead of mining with 100tb the whole day to mine on 3.6 blocks with a compareable storage of 1pb.
the tricky parts becomes disk io and at current diff levels this does not make sense. but maybe in some years.

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

legendary
Activity: 914
Merit: 1001

I'm not real
Re-written, everyone who wants to discuss POC2, please go here:
https://burstforum.com/index.php?threads/poc2-and-asic-resistance.796/#post-5725

We've come up with a more bit shaving resistant algorithm.  It's a combination of POC1 and our previous POC2 idea.
is POC2 going to continue on the existing blockchain or it will start a new one all over?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072
https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org
Tim Draper (& Co) seems not to read Twitter or this thread. Maybe we should change the strategy of the PR team:

http://www.coindesk.com/hedgy-1-2-million-smart-contract-bitcoin-derivatives/

Well I sort of feel like we are waiting to hammer out the details of POC2 before we can really talk to venture capitalists.  Maybe that isn't needed.

But it probably would be a good idea to start approaching them..  maybe we can try to talk to the same ones that funded Hedgy and tell them we've already got smart contracts working Smiley

For once Elmit actually contributes something useful. Grats.
Jump to: