Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][GRE] GreenCoin | On Bittrex now! - page 4. (Read 83604 times)

Activity: 886
Merit: 504
November 25, 2014, 05:13:19 PM
Came across the Proof of Biking campaign in the other coin thread, saw the Greencoin logo and started reading about Greencoin in this thread.
The Greencoin goal is great, and on top of that Greencoin seems to be supported by a dedicated and reliable dev and community.
Only one of those two is already a scarcity in cryptoworld, let alone the combination of the two. So I'm gonna follow and get into Greencoin too. Cheers to all.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
November 25, 2014, 04:56:23 PM
Someone stole my bike a few weeks ago  Angry

Have a good ride  Smiley
Activity: 371
Merit: 250
November 25, 2014, 04:44:13 PM

Hi GreenCoin community!  I'm trying to kick off the first GreenCoin holiday season PoB ride.  Please sign up by sending me a PM or posting to the  Proof of Biking (PoB) campaign here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-proof-of-biking-campaign-pob-820255  Details are on the posting at PoB, both Biodieselchris and I are first riders.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
November 24, 2014, 09:06:04 PM
directions, backgrounds...I was just trying to highlight the different sets of information between individuals. like for example the regular discussions I have with my friends on these topics tend to be more homogenous
Activity: 579
CoinQuacker
November 24, 2014, 04:33:40 PM
Thanks for the response guys, sorry it's been a crazy week. I would have posted sooner if I could. Also, Chris and I come from very different directions, which is ok, that just makes me slow because I like to take a thorough approach to new ideas.

Can you explain further what you mean by "come from different directions"? I consider myself to take a careful approach to new ideas as well.
November 24, 2014, 12:04:37 AM
Thanks for the response guys, sorry it's been a crazy week. I would have posted sooner if I could. Also, Chris and I come from very different directions, which is ok, that just makes me slow because I like to take a thorough approach to new ideas.

I'm going to save the solar debate for another day, my feelings towards it are not adversarial and we have more interesting things to discuss right now imo.

Jumping right in about AD...don't know much about it. I bet that stuff probably stinks though! It sounds like a totally different process from what I know. Of course with composting you specifically want to avoid an anerobic environment. Meats, diary, things that generally contribute to an anerobic situation...I have NEVER used manure or any other form of dookie. Is that what you really want to be feeding your food with? I'm big on sugar free diets...aka paleo...and I think many aspects of agriculture should work on the same principles. Our domestication of food has gotten out of hand in many ways. Animal waste management is a huge area of that. We're feeding it back to them in some cases. Chickens and pigs don't even eat on the open range any more. You have to find special animals for that.

If we're being conservative about composting, there are a lot of "smart" people who will argue it releases GHG, etc. But I'm sure that wholly depends on what you're composting. I've read many papers, including one that is supposed to cost about a hundred bucks, and I know scientifically what a good mix looks like and you are definitely using carbon...ie newsprint, cardboard, etc...We're probably talking 15% max? Maybe a bit higher. Worms love them some cardboard--- they add a whole different dimension to the topic.

I've heard of piles of pure animal waste...I've seen man-made horse piles. Not pleasant, I mean there is a reason horses do not collectively shit and piss out a mountain of steaming doom...people will compost that for a season, maybe two if you're lucky, and throw it in a bag. In a zone like mine you need at least two years for all the bad crap from the urine alone to evaporate. There's your source of GHG. It's just not a good look. Like I said, I would never use animal waste in my compost. EXCEPT guano and maybe 5% chicken shit.

I read a paper by a big industry scientist who said composting put off up to 4.2 lbs/CO2 per lb of compost. I guarantee you with a few test runs you could make a carbon and GHG reducing pile.

Here's a government paper that seems more balanced: http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/wycd/waste/downloads/composting-chapter10-28-10.pdf

Chris, I assume when you mentioned fertilizer you were referring to chemical fertilizer? Very intensive. Not really too great for your plants either. Organic methods have been shown academically to increase yield and individual crop sizes x1.5-4 more than chemical fertilizer. So just exponential compared to no fertilizer.

The crunching the numbers thing would involve a lot more reading and reflection, at least on my part. But I suspect one of the keys will be this. I've gone stretches up to 2 mos without taking my trash to the curb. If you cut trash pick up down to once a month youre saving a lot of carbon with mass adoption. I would keep down those lines, consider the carbon that would be saved by substitution of activity.
November 22, 2014, 06:40:28 PM
One point that comes to mind after reading this thread over is that I feel it is important to think about things in a system wide (globally sustainable) way.  It seems like this could bit hard to quantify mathematically because of the vast array of factors effecting things, most of which we probably don't even have a clue about, but great job in getting some figures out there to follow!

Many people live off grid on solar power alone.  It is not an easy thing for the typically family to think of trying to do, yet it can be done.  Solar panels are continuing to get more efficient and you don't have to factor in power loss through transmission or the energy required to maintain and initially produce all of the transformers, wires, poles, billing systems, etc...  I think it is a worthy technology for GreenCoin to promote and by going this way could lead to better more efficient sustainable cleaner power generation as production efficiencies are constantly being made. 

My gut tells me solar is a step in the right direction although arguably not currently a complete solution in of itself, and I'd purchase panels if I didn't live in an abysmally dark, cold, rainy place with no steady job, my cat died, etc....  (sounds of little violins start gently playing)  Grin

One other comment on PoS.  Most of my dedicated hardware for PoW mining is a stones throw away from the junkyard at this time. (Seems like I just purchased it)  Getting newer more efficient hardware to get back into profitable mining is a race.  There are a lot of cost estimates around how much of a carbon footprint it costs to produce an item and any type of advanced hardware pays a toll in the environment and health of the workers that make it at this point.  Anytime we can do the same task through software or system wide efficiencies rather than hardware changes or additional resource depletion, we are miles ahead in solving the carbon issues imho.  I think the choice of merge mining with scrypt was a good one for this reason and I think adding PoS could help too.

As always just my two cents worth, nice dialog everyone and nice work on the coin guys!
Activity: 579
CoinQuacker
November 22, 2014, 04:30:09 PM
November 22, 2014, 01:38:52 PM
Awesome, thanks for the lightning quick response panda!

Yes I will have many more questions for Chris and welcome any additional info on the kg CO2 offset and how this effects the coin. The most promising thing in your post is it shows a willingness to adapt. People may be concerned about that after the Scrypt vs X11 arguments.

Have you guys considered these three things:

1) Compost producers
2) Organic fertilizer producers
3) Bicycling

I happen to be a self acclaimed expert and fanatic regarding the first two. I own a company called Truckfarmer® which will be manufacturing the best quality organic fertilizers using waste management operations and other techniques. We're out of Greensboro, NC. Right now I'm still trying to come up with the $30k to get the operation kicked off. Alternatively a very small amount of free acreage for a large stake. You guys can email me here: [email protected]

I really like backyard composting.  I've shot some video on it and was thinking about posting it on the web but it's a bit um, “unusual, eclectic, not sure what to call it?”, so I doubt I'll post it.  Grin Kind of an “Adventures in Composting” video blog post but it could be edited for more mainstream appeal.

Making new soil is very nurturing in that you can see all that good dark soil being produced and locking up all that carbon into the ground.  I think you know by now I'm into biking too.

Adaptability and willingness too for open dialog is wonderful, it makes it easier to tweak things a bit and open up new possibilities. Great ideas Truckfarmer!
November 22, 2014, 02:56:15 AM
Scrypt vs X11 - we are looking for global adoption, and with Scrypt Asics making Scrypt less niche, we opted for it. We are very adaptable, as most altcoins ought to be.

Agreed.

In terms of composting--- another great way to support GreenCoin! Pay people to start composting. Quantifying the value would be tricky but it could be done!
legendary
Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012
November 22, 2014, 02:40:11 AM

Yes I will have many more questions for Chris and welcome any additional info on the kg CO2 offset and how this effects the coin. The most promising thing in your post is it shows a willingness to adapt. People may be concerned about that after the Scrypt vs X11 arguments.

1) Compost producers
3) Bicycling

I happen to be a self acclaimed expert and fanatic regarding the first two. I own a company called Truckfarmer® which will be manufacturing the best quality organic fertilizers using waste management operations and other techniques. We're out of Greensboro, NC. Right now I'm still trying to come up with the $30k to get the operation kicked off. Alternatively a very small amount of free acreage for a large stake. You guys can email me here: [email protected]

Feel free to email me - [email protected]

Scrypt vs X11 - we are looking for global adoption, and with Scrypt Asics making Scrypt less niche, we opted for it. We are very adaptable, as most altcoins ought to be.

I can tell you that I personally haven't considered them, but I can't speak for all.
November 22, 2014, 02:31:33 AM

1) Compost producers
3) Bicycling
legendary
November 22, 2014, 02:09:25 AM
November 22, 2014, 01:59:02 AM
WARNING: Not thru reading the thread yet.

But...this seems like a good place to jump in. I've been watching cryptos since bitcoin's first bubble, with that being said a lot of the financial theory has gone in one ear and out the other. Mostly because I had no faith in this economic system to begin with. As bias as I am, I've tried to learn as much as possible about finances since getting involved (mining & purchasing crypto) last winter. Mostly I tend to view crypto plainly, as digital commodities. I want to say above all else I appreciate the effort of the devs and the community here. This community has the potential to be fundamentally different from others simply because people getting involved either give a shit about the environment already, or will at the minimum be forced to consider it for a fleeting second when trading this coin. The devs seem like regular dudes, which is a good thing!

The initial concern I have is solar power. I hate to be the one to harpoon it like this but solar is overrated in my opinion. Lucky for you guys, that's somewhat good news because you aren't called SolarCoin.To me, when I look at the problems/tasks this society is faced with, solar power alone just can't mitigate those problems. With current technology it's not scalable at all. For example in the US, if we scaled solar grids up to our needs we wouldn't have anything to eat because it would take up 35-40% of total arable farmland. Unfortunately most places are not sunny deserts. Even many oceans, like those in the seas near Germany or Denmark, do not have sun and wind 24/7. Where are you going to put these things?

Now before I get accused of being a right winger...lemme just say...I am 100 million% a supporter of clean & green renewable energy...but I am also scientific. In the beginning you guys had a graphic with a large array. If I understood it correctly, it shows that the solar panels blow the power company out of the water in terms of efficiency. I'm not saying they don't. We just have to put into perspective how truly fucked and inefficient coal-based electricity is...

This is a good time to point out that some of the numbers you guys have been throwing out there are on the super conservative side...here are two sources showing 39-41% of US electricity usage is backed by fossil fuel power...to me that puts global carbon emissions from electricity higher than the 25% figure that was thrown out earlier...anyways...

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=77&t=11
http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/iedindex3.cfm?tid=2&pid=alltypes&aid=12&cid=regions&syid=2008&eyid=2011&unit=BKWH

From here on it gets grey for me...I'm not sure yet what all this means for you guys. One point I hope that shines through is to not put all your eggs in the solar basket. Look at how it's kicking Germany in the ass right now. We simply have better ways of heating shit up to make steam energy to power our toasters with ie fourth and fifth gen nuclear, integral fast reactors, etc. This is way France is the world leader in power and energy sufficiency...

One thing people are correct to point out is the inherent downward pressure on this coin. All cryptos have pressure to behave like digital gold and in GreenCoin's case, your digital gold happens to be worth $12 a metric ton. A large array like the one shown in the graphic will save 0.4 tonnes of CO2 emission a year, the equivalent of maybe $5. So where will the value in GreenCoin come from? There is more value in saving our planet than in CO2 trading, clearly. But the question remains if half a metric ton of prevented CO2 emissions a year per every two or three people WOULD save the planet?
November 22, 2014, 12:53:12 AM

We've thought of PoS in the past, but haven't had any kind of mathematical proof of why we should go that direction. Can you provide some?

Boy talk about fast!  I sent a PM and bang there's the GRE, a sharp contrast to trying to get fiat onto the exchange to buy some bitcoin; thanks ncsupanda!

As for PoS - it is hard to come up with any mathematical proof but there are some pretty good swags I can put out there for considering.  From my experience the coins that retain their value or grow mint coins at a rate that is somehow sustainable by the value the community that adopts that coin can sustain.  There's too many factors to consider mathematically without some analysis of variance design experiment laced with economic theory type jargon.  Wink

One thing you should consider is that every time you create a block of coins using PoW you are making new coins - the value of which is going primarily to the miner for running what is turning into collectively a very large power hungry system with more computing power than is required for the security of the block chain.  That miner may not really value the coins that much if they are made as a side effect of going after coins that they are typically mining and pools may dump the coin just to pay out in a coin the miner wants.  Somethings got to eventually pay for that value or the coin will gradually go down in price.

People talk about PoS as having an “interest rate” and most people think that the compounding effect will cause issues.  My view is that it is more like vesting interest in the coin and if you don't trade out  your newly minted PoS coins, your percent of the total market cap of the coin will grow as the coin grows.  This is more like a worker owned cooperative where people who retain the coin have an interest is seeing it grow.  The danger is that if the coin is not dispersed widely enough during the PoW phase the coin can degenerate into a bunch of large bag holders trading back and forth between each other.

I guess my basic thoughts on this is that if your coin value is dripping down faster than you like you are likely putting coins out faster than the community that uses or produces that coin is growing or have some technical issue that is reducing investment.  If that is the case it might be a good option to lower the PoW block reward, add PoS or do something more to build community and coin adoption.  PoS coin blocks can be minted on basically any computer with minimal CPU power and if your goal is to produce a working secure block chain with minimal carbon footprint it makes sense to me to add PoS and restrict PoW. (Just my opinion)

I've been thinking about writing a more detailed article on how PoS works and I might do that... soon.  Wink I can add some more specific technical suggestions but perhaps people will fall fast asleep.  Wink
legendary
November 21, 2014, 11:42:12 PM
Please vote for GreenCoin to be on this exchange!

https://askcoin.net/votes
November 21, 2014, 11:28:16 PM
sup guys,

busy reading through the thread right now. i'm excited about what i've read so far. but i do have a lot of tough questions to ask...for now just want to introduce myself and say hello...back with more later

ps - i'm a former NC A&T student...been reading/discussing about sustainable energy since maybe 2003.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1000
Bass Player
November 21, 2014, 09:49:43 PM
You are doing the producer section and the mining section well..

Is there anyway some of us could have a third option....  recycling/community clean-up/volunteer efforts... etc?

It would be great to be able to earn some GRE in other environment friendly ways...

Trees remove CO2 from the air..... how about re-forestation efforts? Simply planting some trees?

Planting trees is something I could do....

I know the difficulty is determining the truth of these things... perhaps a GreenCoin Committee to look into the veracity of these efforts...

Also we need to be able to buy stuff ( obviously ) so we need to get some folks involved with merchant acceptance....

And lastly donating to candidates from any country who is green friendly..

In case I qualify for a 'prize' I will PM my GRE address

Thanks...
legendary
November 21, 2014, 09:11:41 PM
Seems to me that you need more producers. Even with the bounty there are not more people joining. Probably need to make more noise in the forums for other green/low-energy forums. Perhaps get some sort of cross-posting agreement? What sort of relationships are there between the different coins?

I thought we were banned from posting address on this forum in a giveaway thread - too much 'spam' for everyone else.

You'd be surprised in the lack of interest in forming relationships that some altcoins have. Also, we work very hard to sign new producers. One of the biggest issues is that the system isn't FULLY automated yet. That's a feature we are currently working on.

Seems to me that you need more producers. Even with the bounty there are not more people joining. Probably need to make more noise in the forums for other green/low-energy forums. Perhaps get some sort of cross-posting agreement? What sort of relationships are there between the different coins?

I thought we were banned from posting address on this forum in a giveaway thread - too much 'spam' for everyone else.

I think you are right Stinky_Pete I would suggest we post our ideas here and then send ncsupanda a PM with the address just to be within forum guidelines – if that sounds good ncsupanda?  I personally don't view this type of thing in the same way a giveaway where your just posting an address with no other input.  It feels more like a bounty to me where your putting out some ideas and getting paid for your effort.

In addition to the PoB/PoR campaign (I have a personal biases towards that) Wink I would suggest that some type of graphical contest would be fun.  There are some really creative things that people have been doing recently.  I'll try to make some type of sample of what I'm thinking soon.  (Soon in Lightsplasher time can be a bit hard to quantify)

Perhaps even thinking about adding PoS at a low rate and lowering the dependency on PoW to hold down the block chain.  Using PoS is a very economical low power way of securing the chain without dilution from payment to scrypt mining and low rate PoS coins tend to hold value better with less price fluctuation imho.  Just a thought.

I've changed it to "PM me your GreenCoin address".

We've thought of PoS in the past, but haven't had any kind of mathematical proof of why we should go that direction. Can you provide some?
November 21, 2014, 08:37:39 PM

I think you are right Stinky_Pete I would suggest we post our ideas here and then send ncsupanda a PM with the address just to be within forum guidelines – if that sounds good ncsupanda?  I personally don't view this type of thing in the same way a giveaway where your just posting an address with no other input.  It feels more like a bounty to me where your putting out some ideas and getting paid for your effort.

In addition to the PoB/PoR campaign (I have a personal biases towards that) Wink I would suggest that some type of graphical contest would be fun.  There are some really creative things that people have been doing recently.  I'll try to make some type of sample of what I'm thinking soon.  (Soon in Lightsplasher time can be a bit hard to quantify)

Perhaps even thinking about adding PoS at a low rate and lowering the dependency on PoW to hold down the block chain.  Using PoS is a very economical low power way of securing the chain without dilution from payment to scrypt mining and low rate PoS coins tend to hold value better with less price fluctuation imho.  Just a thought.
Pages:
Jump to: