Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] New alternate cryptocurrency - Geist Geld - page 27. (Read 74170 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
the "hidden transfer" script implementation

Where can I read about this?
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Hillariously voracious
could someone sum up the features of this fork?

1) Dangerously Wink fast blocks

2) Escrow implemented

3) nonstandard tx enabled

4) Upcoming (hopefully soon) message signing

5) general intent to be experimental and feature-rich [I really hope some coderfolk would hop in so more awesome tweaks and tricks can be rolled out. I especially want some more robust anti-time-trickery tweaks towards which I have been pointed and the "hidden transfer" script implementation)
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
could someone sum up the features of this fork?

Hillariously voracious
I dunno.  With the average block shorter than 225mh/s can get any work in, it's going to exclude a lot of smaller machines.

I have another card on the way, even then i think I'll stll be at 50/50 reject.

(unless my experience was just a bug)

I did a test run with 2950Mhahs/s and I had 5 accepted / 80 rejected on average, even with CGMiner Grin
But with low difficulty, it's normal I think.

Someone just create 20,000 blocks in less than an hour. The first 20,000 took over 48 hours.

Difficulty is 0.06. Exploit has not been fixed.

At this rate the chain may as well restart because if an exchange opens 1 person will have 95% of the coins which makes no sense.

Given that the upper limit on maximum number of Geists is above hundred billions, and that I  pre-mined meself quite a bunch (primarily due to my desire to start a laundry with "squeaky clean coins" should GG persevere) I am reluctant to do a restart.

Investigation is in progress, I am standing by for feedback as to possible causes from upstanding members Smiley (I am reasonably certain that the limit on accept window is 10 in the latest release, but if someone has 51% of the net he can set whatever accept he wishes - and whatever anything else for that matter)

I would be very grateful if BitcoinEXpress commented on current state of affairs in a constructive manner.
Hillariously voracious
I have a... lingering suspicion that we have a case of "51 attack" here.

BitcoinEXpress is that so Smiley ?
Hillariously voracious
I dunno.  With the average block shorter than 225mh/s can get any work in, it's going to exclude a lot of smaller machines.

I did a test run with 2950Mhahs/s and I had 5 accepted / 80 rejected on average, even with CGMiner Grin

Someone just create 20,000 blocks in less than an hour. The first 20,000 took over 48 hours.

At this rate the chain may as well restart because if an exchange opens 1 person will have 95% of the coins which makes no sense.

That would be me !
  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hey dude, are you using creative timestampting or some thing like that ?
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031
Anyone setting up a mining pool for this yet?  I haven't mined solo yet, but like alternate cryptocurrencies.  I own some of them all and was really promoting Solidcoin until... well you know...

I'm intrigued with all of the new features your starting with Giest Geld.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
you have to change the source, compile, then start mining.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
Would someone please care to share with me what the hell I'm supposed to do? Smiley

So, I downloaded the windows bundle.  Opened the "read me immediately" file and changed name and password in the bitcoin.conf file.

Right now, my geistgeld daemon is going bananas.  I assume it's downloading the block chain?  Been giving me thousands of lines of text for several minutes now, so I assumed that's what it was doing.

So, how exactly do I start mining with GUIminer?  What should I put in the 'host' text box, and for 'port' ?  I also don't exactly get where my coins would show up.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I've only been running GUIminer with Bitcoin  (and a little bit of SolidCoin) since June and never tried the other miners.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
I dunno.  With the average block shorter than 225mh/s can get any work in, it's going to exclude a lot of smaller machines.

That would be me !
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

LOL you just made this chain pointless. Restart?
Activity: 154
I dunno.  With the average block shorter than 225mh/s can get any work in, it's going to exclude a lot of smaller machines.

If my card can only do (on average) 1 share every 20s, and the blocks are 15s, I don't see how higher difficulty blocks would matter, since the block time is still less than my average work time.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1526
Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

Activity: 154

legendary
Activity: 1526
Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na
How big is the chance "GeistGeld" is going to an exchange? Smiley

I like the idea of fast blocks and quick confirmations.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
2. It's not a full NTP impl, just stupid SNTP w/ RTT correction (usually +-1ms on a box with properly working ntp)(and i0s original code doesn't even do RTT correction...).
3. Got a cross-platform way to determine if the system we're running on has a running and working ntpd? Does windows even have real NTP support? iirc even W7 only has a SNTP daemon to periodically sync ala ntpdate-from-cronjob.
In Re:2. I believe you are at least order of magnitude optimistic with +/-1ms standard deviation. To be safe I would assume 100ms standatd deviation with just properly working ntpd (and not openntpd). So two orders of magnitude, if you take your time over the net. It is easy to get much better time over the air thanks to Uncle Sam's (or Uncle Bill Clinton's) GPS with no SA (Selective Availability) and cheap GPS mousey receivers.
In Re:3. I normally do the equivalent of "ntpq -c readvar" and "ntpdc -c loopinfo" agains localhost. I check the status bits in ntpq's output and the offset in ntpdc's output. It has been serving me well over the years.
Code:
$ ntpdc -c loopinfo
offset:               -0.000442 s
frequency:            -6.781 ppm
poll adjust:          30
watchdog timer:       28 s
$ ntpq -c readvar
status=06f4 leap_none, sync_ntp, 15 events, event_peer/strat_chg,
version="ntpd [email protected] Thu Feb 13 12:17:19 EST 2003 (1)",
processor="i686", system="Linux2.4.20-6", leap=00, stratum=3,
precision=-15, rootdelay=14.035, rootdispersion=22.854, peer=43382,
refid=ntp.example.com
reftime=d217a3e7.a71fcd24  Sun, Sep 11 2011 14:17:27.652, poll=6,
clock=d217a40b.dd65b20b  Sun, Sep 11 2011 14:18:03.864, state=4,
offset=-0.442, frequency=-6.781, jitter=0.756, stability=0.015
In Re: Windows. MSFT has a decent NTP implementation if nobody is tampering with it, expecially in case of domain membership. But there are so many programs that tamper with the timekeeping on Windows that it is almost impossible to trust it by default.  Additionally, MSFT made some "embrace and extend" extension to NTP, they are documented on the site for European Windows developers.
In Re: pool.ntp.org. Due to rampant abuse, the members of pool.ntp.org deploy various countermeasures. One very popular is to deliver time that is obviously off by months or years. You really have to be carefull with polling pool.ntp.org more often than the default 1024 seconds.
Hillariously voracious
So as with bitcoin 2016 blocks turns out to be 14 days. What is the period for this? 15 seconds multiplied by 16?

240 seconds.
legendary
Once again can you explain how diff. adjusts?

Diff adjusts as with bitcoin, but re-targeting  happens every 16 blocks.

It has been brought to my attention by ArtForz that it is too little and so an increase in this value is to be expected in the future

By the way, this brings me to several  things that I would like to receive opinions and constructive arguments:

• What would be optimal retarget period for a chain with 15 second blocks (in the future might be even 7 second  blocks Smiley ) and why ?
  • would changing the "adjustment step  limit" from "/4" to some other value benefit a fork with fast blocks, and if so, which approximate value should that be ?

So as with bitcoin 2016 blocks turns out to be 14 days. What is the period for this? 15 seconds multiplied by 16?
Hillariously voracious

Diff adjusts as with bitcoin, but re-targeting  happens every 16 blocks.

It has been brought to my attention by ArtForz that it is too little and so an increase in this value is to be expected in the future

By the way, this brings me to several  things regarding which  I would like to receive opinions and constructive arguments:

• What would be optimal retarget period for a chain with 15 second blocks (in the future might be even 7 second  blocks Smiley ) and why ?
  • would changing the "adjustment step  limit" from "/4" to some other value benefit a fork with fast blocks, and if so, which approximate value should that be ?

legendary
Pages:
Jump to: