Pages:
Author

Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs - page 5. (Read 227503 times)

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
http://www.ic3.gov/faq/default.aspx

Q: Can I file a complaint if I am a citizen of the United States but have been victimized by an individual or company outside of the United States?
If one of the two parties involved is located within the United States, please feel free to file a complaint.

From http://www.ic3.gov/about/default.aspx
The IC3 gives the victims of cyber crime a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of suspected criminal or civil violations. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at the federal, state, local, and international level, the IC3 provides a central referral mechanism for complaints involving Internet related crimes.

It looks like if IC3 can't do anything about it, they would refer the complaint to an organization that would be able to. If you live in the US, they will probably go to bat for you. If only the accused party lives in the US, they would probably investigate on the assumption that a fraudulent operation inside the US would also target US citizens in addition to violating the law.
Activity: 924
http://www.ic3.gov/faq/default.aspx

Q: Can I file a complaint if I am a citizen of the United States but have been victimized by an individual or company outside of the United States?
If one of the two parties involved is located within the United States, please feel free to file a complaint.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Can we uhh, Talk more about BFL and less about the other guys... This IS the BFL announcement thread afterall...
Agreed, the mods allow these threads to go so off track it's unsurvivable. Do you want people to go over to the Klondike development thread and only talk about BFL products and derail the thread?

Quote from: BFL_Josh;36579
Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
For the 'legacy' 60/30Gh orders, are those going to be filled with one unit at this point? Sorry if this has been answered, I haven't seen a current position on this topic recently. Thanks!

30's definitely. 60's almost for sure, but not 100% quite yet. We get our first batch of binned chips today I think (or tomorrow) so we'll see then. I don't anticipate it will be a problem putting 60 GH/s (+/- 10%) into a box.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/2967-may-29-2013-asic-update-discussion-thread-6.html

This might be good news for people with older orders.

Activity: 700
250w at wall is impressive, but 76c degree on the chips! They are pushing it too hard, might need some powerful fans with 200+ cfm, it seems it's not a PWM fan like avalon used

The board is not in its enclosure. There are two more big fans in a push-pull configuration which will hopefully drop the temps a bit.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
The mining return will drop so fast that soon people will just buy coins instead of mine, why bother with so much hassles about the electricity/heat/management of rigs if you are not a hardware fan... ASICminer's shares could be another alternative
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
Can we uhh, Talk more about BFL and less about the other guys... This IS the BFL announcement thread afterall...
Activity: 532
Dude there's no name calling. I'm well aware of that thread and the KNC Miner one. I live in Europe. Bitsyncom has a chip purchase specific wallet with 760,000 chips worth of Bitcoins sitting in it. That one group buy for 10,000 looks legit. Others aren't so. On top of which they've had trouble completing the shipping of either of their mining rig runs successfully.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468
With Avalon you even have the choice of cheap Klondike devices (see my sig, I'm betting some of my BTCs on it) delivered in 3 months if ordered now (10 weeks for Avalon chips, 2 weeks for assembly + shipping). BFL won't even provide guesstimates on delivery delays.

True. The people waiting for this Klondike device may have their miner long before the june/july 2012 BFL orders are shipped. It doesn't matter that a single consumes "only" 250W if you ordered in june 2012, paid nearly 200 BTC and receive the machine in 2014 (or never).

There is a huge amount of trust involved in bulk chips reaching destinations, being distributed, reaching more destinations, being assembled, reaching final destinations with several anonymous parties involved (as in real, not forum identities) whilst being paid for with anonymous currencies (for the most part). I foresee a lot of tears ahead within the DIY arena...let alone unforeseen delays which are inevitable.

I do too.  Drama is spawning under the surface as many people give their BTC to random forum users for chips or miners, none of whom have done any due diligence.

Hopefully, some of them learn responsibility from the upcoming cry/bitchfest when nothing turns out how they expected in their imaginations. 

One thing is true, bitcoiners have wild imaginations and an extra fat drama glands (I'm not a doctor, but it's located somewhere in your anus).

+1

People who pre-ordered chips imagine that they will get the chips AND within a week or two they'll have working devices.
I say Avalon starts shipping chips AFTER they are done with batch #3 and possibly batch #4 and #5.  ASICMiner is already spreading some hashing power around so no rush on their part.  My guess it will be late in August or maybe September/October before assemblers get their chips in numbers.  Add turn around for assemblers to sort out all the kinks, probably a month or two.  If you get a delay in parts somewhere in the process, well, good luck.

Activity: 896
With Avalon you even have the choice of cheap Klondike devices (see my sig, I'm betting some of my BTCs on it) delivered in 3 months if ordered now (10 weeks for Avalon chips, 2 weeks for assembly + shipping). BFL won't even provide guesstimates on delivery delays.

True. The people waiting for this Klondike device may have their miner long before the june/july 2012 BFL orders are shipped. It doesn't matter that a single consumes "only" 250W if you ordered in june 2012, paid nearly 200 BTC and receive the machine in 2014 (or never).

There is a huge amount of trust involved in bulk chips reaching destinations, being distributed, reaching more destinations, being assembled, reaching final destinations with several anonymous parties involved (as in real, not forum identities) whilst being paid for with anonymous currencies (for the most part). I foresee a lot of tears ahead within the DIY arena...let alone unforeseen delays which are inevitable.

Use escrow instead of sending your preorder money into the wind...

I wouldn't have bet some BTCs on the Klondike devices if Jonh K. didn't provide escrow for it.

I haven't ordered, but when is escrow released? at the point of chip receipt before redistribution? or once finally the devices are in your hands? How are the parts funded ahead of time without your funds??

I'm constantly aghast at the stupidity and zero research performed as members of this forum demonstrated regularly as they fork over cash...

?! Name calling? These questions may Roll Eyes  be answered in the group buy thread.

Last time I checked there was no place I could drive to buy an Asic miner in hand (and not a single branch in Europe of an Asic vendor I could visit). For European customers every single ASIC bought had been with preorders with people far across the globe. At least with this group buy if things go wrong the trace of the scam begins in Europe and not half the world away.

Every ASIC investment involves substantial risks right now (scam, late delivery, unstable/broken product delivered, business failure...). If you can't compare those risks and distribute your investments of course you will be disappointed. Although I had bumps in the road (refunded bASICs) my investments in ASICs are paying themselves nicely right now so I'm probably doing something right...

I wouldn't have bet some BTCs on the Klondike devices if Jonh K. didn't provide escrow for it.

I haven't ordered, but when is escrow released? at the point of chip receipt before redistribution? or once finally the devices are in your hands? How are the parts funded ahead of time without your funds??

I'm constantly aghast at the stupidity and zero research performed as members of this forum demonstrated regularly as they fork over cash...
Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I do too.  Drama is spawning under the surface as many people give their BTC to random forum users for chips or miners, none of whom have done any due diligence.

Hopefully, some of them learn responsibility from the upcoming cry/bitchfest when nothing turns out how they expected in their imaginations. 

One thing is true, bitcoiners have wild imaginations and an extra fat drama glands (I'm not a doctor, but it's located somewhere in your anus).

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

Activity: 452
Hashing controllers are trivial now, the avalon runs on a cheapo $15 china wifi router and Mineforeman's minepeon distro for the raspberry pi gets you a mining controller for $35 that uses 2 watts.
Some progress, though the power consumption seems a lot higher than I would have expected. They must be using 25% faster clock rate than the ones in the 5GH/s unit. 250Watts for 50GH/s is about 40% more than I calculated, factoring in the extra fans. Still I guess it's way better than the 620watt 66GH/s some reviews have reported the Avalon doing.

Not really comparable. Avalon is a full system, not a hashing device. Reports on 230V are 560W (not sure what the difference is for BFL devices betweens 110V/230V).
If you substract a device on which cgminer can run, you're probably left with hundreds of 66GH/s devices at 500W running at customers' location compared to 50GH/s for 250W that aren't yet delivered.

Activity: 434
Awesome. Only 7+ months late and 200w over spec.
Good to see positive progress for those invested, and for those doubting their financial situation, that one rig alone appears to have netted them $8.5k this month!!! That has to cover at least some overheads...

Do like their GUI.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
250w at wall is impressive, but 76c degree on the chips! They are pushing it too hard, might need some powerful fans with 200+ cfm, it seems it's not a PWM fan like avalon used

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
29 May 2013 - ASIC Update

Almost there... I'm attaching a picture of our test board. We've almost got the firmware finalized, as you can see, we've brought power usage down quite a bit. This is a 50 GH/s unit with unbinned chips (meaning the chips were randomly selected, so some of the chips have non-functional engines. What this means is the unit can perform faster if you use binned chips with known good engines).

I think the picture speaks for itself, and I apologize for the quality... just took a quick snap while we were working. However, you can see that our power usage is under 5w/GH/s. This should apply across all product lines. I plan on testing out the short boards tomorrow. We should be getting in many of the reworked short boards tomorrow as well as some long boards. Next week, we expect a much larger shipment of both long and short boards to arrive (possibly even this Saturday, but that's still up in the air.)

In any event, we should have the firmware finalized by tomorrow night or Friday at the latest and ready to go.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status-3.html

Some progress, though the power consumption seems a lot higher than I would have expected. They must be using 25% faster clock rate than the ones in the 5GH/s unit. 250Watts for 50GH/s is about 40% more than I calculated, factoring in the extra fans. Still I guess it's way better than the 620watt 66GH/s some reviews have reported the Avalon doing.

11.5 months and counting and still they don't have their shit together?  Cheesy

Pages:
Jump to: