Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Butterfly Labs - page 16. (Read 64445 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
September 20, 2012, 11:00:56 PM
Scum is scum...

Quoting this from here since I noticed Inaba just magiclly happened to not read the last part of David's post here and then the convo quickly moved away from the subject again......
Code:
davidspitzer 

Re: BFL SC / Jally first picture?
September 19, 2012, 07:22:13 PM  #243  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.. but according to the indictment, there was no offshore gaming, just people pretending to be associated with offshore games, when in fact they were simply taking people's money. No gambling at all was occurring, which is why the indictment/conviction was for mail fraud, not illegal gambling.

It's my understanding (but I am not a lawyer) that the government would not be able to get a prosecution for the offshore gaming (and Italy would not extradite if the US intended to prosecute on those charges), since it was legal in that jurisdiction and instead went for mail fraud, since the lotteries via mail were involved.
in the indictment though it states:

...From the Payment Accounts, at the direction of defendants VLEISIDES, HOUSTON, and EMMETT, defendant WALTHER and others known and unknown to the Grand Jury wrote checks falsely represented as lottery winnings and sent them back to the victims. The amount of the alleged "winnings" sent to each victim was far less than the amount the victim had sent in.

This would seem to indicate that the knowingly attempted to deceive people into thinking they had won a foreign lottery to induce them to send in more money. I hate to say this but the two accounts do not line up for me"

That's exactly what it indicates. And any person who can read is able to assertain that the two stated allegations are indeed different events.

I find it very hard to swallow that Inaba believes that the software/patent thing is at all what Mr. Sonny was alleged of doing for the past decade+..

Inaba's first statment of such is either a very purposefully driven misdirection or he is actually as naive as anyone else who would continue to support a company who has such a character playing any role in it.

..What role could Sonny possibly fill at BFL? He can't be a 'funding' partner as the courts found he had 'no ability' to pay any restitution. He certanly is not trustworthy to fill any sort of leadership role. Is he an engineer then? Did he design any of the circuits, software or facilitate any other such engineering function?

All said, I just feel bad for the hard working people who are being robbed of their dignity by either working for this company or giving this company money. That's why sadpanda is sad.
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
September 20, 2012, 09:21:18 PM
So is this actually a scam or what?!

Well, that's the thing. We don't know. Nobody on the outside knows for sure. The people on the inside may not know.

When Vleisides' father, James Ray Houston, started his first documented Ponzi in 1974, it was apparently a real business. He took people's money and sold them silver coins, because paper currency is evil but money that can't be manufactured out of thin air is something that sensible people ought to appreciate.

As time went on, it was a pain in the ass for Houston's customers to take delivery of and store all of the silver they were buying. So he held it for them, in his vault, and gave them a receipt for their silver, instead. They could get it from his vault whenever they wanted.

But, as things go, it turns out that actually buying all of that silver was sort of a pain in the ass. It was easier to just spend the money on things like his campaign for governor of Nevada, or his former wife's car payments, or his rent. That's from his own testimony, at his trial.

The scam was revealed by the Las Vegas Review Journal the day before and the day of the gubernatorial election. They published pictures of the empty "vault". Houston still got 26,000 votes. After he was indicted he was a fugitive for 2 years. Once he was finally captured and tried, he was acquitted by a jury. The trial judge took the unprecedented step, after the verdict was read, of pointing out that if it had been a bench trial, he would have convicted Houston. "He is a plain and simple crook and will never be anything else", in the judge's words. 1,182 investors lost $3.5 million in 1974 dollars, the economic equivalent of $16.3 million today.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Aug-12-Sat-2006/news/9007759.html

Houston was later convicted of mail fraud (for a different scam) in 1983.

So it's perfectly possible that BFL started as a legitimate business with real products and real customers. It's perfectly possible that BFL is a legitimate business today with real products and real customers. It may always be a legitimate business. On the other hand, if shit starts to go bad, probably the people running the company will fully disclose right away exactly what's going on. I mean, it's not like they'd commit fraud, right? Or stand up in federal court and lie because that seems to be the most expedient course of action.

"Actually, earlier, when I confessed to lying? I was lying. I am not a liar. Except for that one time, and that was different, because lying made my life a lot easier than telling the truth. Would you like to see a baby picture?"

After all, it's perfectly possible that they can explain to a jury that they took people's money planning to manufacture mining hardware, but it turned out to be more fun to spend the money on rent, cars, and political campaigns. As long as they weren't lying when they asked for the money, the fact that they changed their mind later isn't so relevant.

Activity: 246
Merit: 250
Team Heritage Motorsports
September 20, 2012, 08:59:59 PM
All your base are belong to us
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
September 20, 2012, 08:21:41 PM

We will know by December...... But by then it will be to late....................

Activity: 164
Merit: 100
September 20, 2012, 07:59:06 PM
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
September 20, 2012, 07:10:00 PM
Why is everyone typing in huge colorful fonts?
Haha I was just going to ask the same thing.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
September 20, 2012, 06:50:44 PM

Because
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
September 20, 2012, 05:38:48 PM
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
September 20, 2012, 05:13:29 PM
what peculiar timing.  Cheesy
Activity: 530
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
www.bitcointrading.com
September 20, 2012, 02:50:20 PM
as with 99% of projects involving bitcoin...

Activity: 27
Merit: 0
September 20, 2012, 01:26:34 PM
The BFL single under my desk works great; hashing along at 819mh/s.  I just placed another order.  Order #881X.
mem
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
Herp Derp PTY LTD
September 20, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
just send me your money and shut up.

Inaba is that you ?
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
September 20, 2012, 12:49:17 PM
I hope BFL will not bother responding to provocations and accusations - that is not what this forum is for.
+1

Then what the hell is this forum for ?

just send me your money and shut up.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1006
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
September 20, 2012, 12:48:48 PM
I hope BFL will not bother responding to provocations and accusations - that is not what this forum is for.
+1

Then what the hell is this forum for ?
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
September 20, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
+1
mem
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
Herp Derp PTY LTD
September 20, 2012, 12:38:14 PM

legendary
September 20, 2012, 12:36:39 PM

What do you mean by "they will not bother responding to accusations" ?

It's their goddamn job to respond to accusations, ESPECIALLY on this forum ESPECIALLY in this topic. Every public company that wants to have proper reputation has to respond to such accusations, and their response can tell us a lot about what kind of people they are.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
September 20, 2012, 12:29:09 PM
legendary
September 20, 2012, 12:25:50 PM
Pages:
Jump to: