Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][Pool][Profit-Switch][Optional Auto-Exchange per Coin][Vardiff] ~ Hashcows - page 68. (Read 347329 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Activity: 1232
Merit: 683
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
Stratum is now fixed up! No more 1-2 mintue rounds.
Activity: 40
Since no one has offically said it...

I did!

He said "officially" as in from Nearmiss or aTriz. The admins? You know, the moo guys?   Do you work for them Wink

No, but I am pretty official.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
In your opinion, how does one capital letter in a password raise the security?
Honestly, switch that off. It doesnt make a real difference.

It does a lot.
For example: any way of increasing the size of the char set used to make passwords lowers the risk of successful brute force attacks.
you're right, but if you don't put any boundary on the password choice than the character dictionary is actually made by any character. instead, if you force the user to use a capital letter it means you're actually reducing the dictionary dimension for that character.

if N = all possible characters, there exists:
N^8 8-chars completely free password, and
26+N^7 8-chars passwords with one capital letter

The problem is that if you don't enforce users to use capital letters, numbers and punctuation, they will use just lowercase chars, for lazyness.
Thus, if a hacker brute-forces with lowercase chars, he will be successful on most users.
Actually, brute force attacks works very well with dictionaries, so the real benefit would be not allowing common words, instead of enforcing capitals or numbers.
I have experience of this because I did security audits on unix machines back in the nineties: you could easily find most passwords by using a dictionary + some numbers and mixed caps.
Activity: 786
Merit: 857
What's with all the red rounds admins? That's a lot of wasted work.
it's not wasted, give a read to the FAQ to understand how hashcows works Wink
Your right of course. The 5th point in the FAQ explains this.
Thank you.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
I'm just checking out hashco.ws for the first time and cannot make any comments about quality or service, but one thing I want to ask:

It does a lot.
For example: any way of increasing the size of the char set used to make passwords lowers the risk of successful brute force attacks.
you're right, but if you don't put any boundary on the password choice than the character dictionary is actually made by any character. instead, if you force the user to use a capital letter it means you're actually reducing the dictionary dimension for that character.

if N = all possible characters, there exists:
N^8 8-chars completely free password, and
26+N^7 8-chars passwords with one capital letter
Activity: 28
I'm just checking out hashco.ws for the first time and cannot make any comments about quality or service, but one thing I want to ask:

If it forces you to use a different password than usual, then yes, it's effective. Use a password manager, don't wait for one of the hundreds of sites you're registered to have a leak and them have crackers trying your logins on several famous sites AND being able to login because you use the same password everywhere.

I'm not in the boat of using the same passwords everywhere. Security where security is due, ofc. I just dont think its a usefull "feature". And I've just been asking the hashcows staff about their intentions.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer

It does a lot.
Activity: 66

i think it dude to all the canges they are making, give them some time. Just have a backup for the time being so that your mininer don't go to idl.

Any other than me that are using you mining rigs for other stuff? I use mine for DLNA streaming, and a minecraft server. (i do not cpu mine.)
How long should it approximately take to see any kind of balance on the portal? I've been mining for roughly 1 1/2 hours with 700Kh/s, seeing accepted shares but balance still says 0.
the time needed for the round to be closed (i.e. switch to another coin) plus the time for all the blocks to mature, if you decided to be paid in BTC. read hashcows' FAQ Wink
Activity: 98
They are working on stratum. Thats what all the switching is about i guess. And the stats are also off. Round 6327 and 6334 show exactly the same amount of imatures. So its a bit wonky still i guess.

Either sit it out for today, or change to middlecoin for a lttle while.
it's not wasted, give a read to the FAQ to understand how hashcows works Wink
Activity: 93

If it forces you to use a different password than usual, then yes, it's effective. Use a password manager, don't wait for one of the hundreds of sites you're registered to have a leak and them have crackers trying your logins on several famous sites AND being able to login because you use the same password everywhere.
Activity: 786
Merit: 857
Activity: 28

Activity: 5
How long should it approximately take to see any kind of balance on the portal? I've been mining for roughly 1 1/2 hours with 700Kh/s, seeing accepted shares but balance still says 0.
Activity: 278
Merit: 250
Hi All,
I joined last night, when it was running and abel to join of course, but now i see, that i/m on an backup pool.
I can not connect on hashcows, what is wrong?
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
I've been mining the whole night and my hashrate shows 5 times lower than it actualy is (400Kh/s instead of 2MH/s).

Also it shows current balance as 0.00000522 BTC which is way too low. What is going on?
is it normal to change mined coin every couple of minutes, or it is related to some other mantainance work in progress?
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Pages:
Jump to: