Pages:
Author

Topic: 【ANN】【RYO】【Cryptonight-GPU】 RyoCurrency - Privacy for everyone - page 10. (Read 38742 times)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Got it! Thanks. No biggie really. I was just curious and I guess I needed a confirmation that my observation was correct. So the config file at the alternative location can then be deleted, right?

Correct, you can delete the config file from the D:\ drive
legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

It is by design. The GUI needs to read the settings file from a known location to know where else to look for the blockchain if you change it. I could have opted to store the path to the config file, or all the config options themselves within electron's localstorage -- but in my opinion that just adds unnecessary complexity. In the case that there are any issues with the config file, it is easier and more user friendly to have the settings file in a default location that the user can either edit with notepad, or just delete (forcing the wallet to go back to the welcome screen.)

Got it! Thanks. No biggie really. I was just curious and I guess I needed a confirmation that my observation was correct. So the config file at the alternative location can then be deleted, right?

I have set up my "ryo" data folder at a different location (D:\ drive) instead of the default one. Though "ryo\gui\config.json" exist at the explicit alternative location, it seems that GUI wallet still persists on creating and reading from the active configuration file at the default location (C:\ProgramData\ryo\gui\config.json). Is this by design?

It is by design. The GUI needs to read the settings file from a known location to know where else to look for the blockchain if you change it. I could have opted to store the path to the config file, or all the config options themselves within electron's localstorage -- but in my opinion that just adds unnecessary complexity. In the case that there are any issues with the config file, it is easier and more user friendly to have the settings file in a default location that the user can either edit with notepad, or just delete (forcing the wallet to go back to the welcome screen.)
legendary

I have set up my "ryo" data folder at a different location (D:\ drive) instead of the default one. Though "ryo\gui\config.json" exist at the explicit alternative location, it seems that GUI wallet still persists on creating and reading from the active configuration file at the default location (C:\ProgramData\ryo\gui\config.json). Is this by design?

-snip-

Excellent. That's exactly it with the benefit of your instructions showing how to copy over the blockchain as to not re-sync the entire chain on view only machine.  Smiley
legendary
-snip-

-snip-

Thanks for elaborating on the view-only wallet procedure above. I usually take notes on the steps I've taken just in case I have to do it all over again in the future Grin. I have compressed and made it concise hoping that it would assist somebody else in here who needs it:

On Windows machines running full nodes ("Local Daemon Only")

Full/hot wallet PC:

1. open wallet

2. copy and save primary wallet address

3. select "Show Private Keys" ("WALLET ACTIONS" drop-down menu)

4. enter wallet password

5. copy and save "View key" (caution: "View key" ONLY and NOT "Seed words" nor "Spend key").

View-only wallet device:

1. Export up-to-date "ryo" data folder from full/hot wallet PC (default location: C:\ProgramData\ryo) to view-only wallet device EXCLUDING/WITHOUT the "wallets" subfolder in it (caution: it contains your full/hot wallet files)

2. install latest Ryo Wallet (GUI) version and start it

3. select Restore view-only wallet on the main/setup menu

4. fill in all required info and click RESTORE VIEW-ONLY WALLET button

5. let it scan.

Note that the default "Restore from date" is 2017/04/17. If my memory serves me right, this is when it all started. I left it at default. As a reference, it took about 5 minutes to scan the whole database with a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop device running Windows 10 but YMMV.

This unofficial guide is based on my personal experience. Proceed at your own risk.

copper member
Activity: 195
Merit: 1

In an effort to provide transparency to the community on how the development fund is allocated, we built the following Dev-Fund Explorer page that categorizes data and provides an at-a-glance report on where the funds are being spent.

The funding is grouped into four categories:
- Staff
- Hosting
- Marketing
- Miscellaneous

Funding is grouped into four week periods and details are made public a few weeks after the period closes. While the Ryo team strives to provide the upmost transparency, we believe that real time figures could leak material information and be used for speculation on the open market.
https://ryo-currency.com/dev-fund/
Activity: 128
Love the hard work by the team, love the positive outlook in this thread, love everything about RYO. A phenomenal project.

coz not need cry or make FUD when community see that Dev's work, hard work on project and make gooood stable update.
Thanks for the clarification. It's still a very significant and important update though; especially for the old-eyes thang (at least for me anyway). Grin

Edit: Can you post a brief impromptu guide/steps on view-only wallet setup? I suppose I could have it on my tablet/laptop to monitor balance/transactions on the go without risking exposure of the key, right?

Basically what @RyoCurrency said, but since you want to restore the view only wallet on your laptop you don't have to delete the original wallet file on what I presume is your desktop. Just copy over your public RYoL address and your private view key to the laptop and use the Restore view-only wallet as @RyoCurrency said.

One more thing I'll expand on. I think you're probably familiar with how view only wallets work on cryptonote, but for anyone else: view only wallets only show incoming transactions, not outgoing. So If you have outgoing transactions a view only wallet won't show that, but it WILL show the incoming change from that transaction. Thus view only wallets tend to make it look like you have a much larger balance.

To fix this, in this version of Atom there is also a manage key images option. From your full/hot wallet, select the manage key options and then use the Export function. This will write your key images to a file, which you can import to the view only wallet on your laptop. This lets the view only wallet know that you've spent certain coins and your balance will be correct there as long as you send over the key images from the hot wallet to your view only wallet occasionally.

Key images won't let you spend from the view-only wallet. For signing transactions you will always need the private spend key, which the view only wallet of course lacks.
copper member
Thanks for the clarification. It's still a very significant and important update though; especially for the old-eyes thang (at least for me anyway). Grin
Edit: Can you post a brief impromptu guide/steps on view-only wallet setup? I suppose I could have it on my tablet/laptop to monitor balance/transactions on the go without risking exposure of the key, right?
Correct. you can use Atom all way round. First copy wallet address you wish to have view-only. You can enter into a wallet which you want to turn into view-only only mode. Then hit "Manage wallet" - Show private keys.
Copy view key. And store in temporary place.
Then you may delete this wallet from this dropdown (make sure you always store key phrase in safe place).
And on startup screen, there is a "Restore view-only" wallet. You can paste view key wallet address and have it working.

important: take a note, that if you have, say 1 input tx in wallet with 100 Ryo, and spend (on any other PC) 1 Ryo, you will have a change of 99 Ryo that will arrive into your wallet. View-only wallet will show 199Ryo as balance, bcs it sees only IN transactions. So it might confuse you.
Ideally, if you want to, just monitor transactions and be accurate with balance, create another wallet and deposit coins there. So you will have only IN transaction, and next IN transactions from mining or exchanges will also be inputs. Then, when you will be ready to spend coins, you can easily turn this wallet into full wallet by restoring it from seed or keys.
legendary

I take it that the view-only wallet feature allows us to create a corresponding offline wallet for signing transactions like in XMR GUI wallet and some BTC wallets. If so, is there a set up instruction or a guide somewhere?

no. view-only wallet allows you to see incoming transactions only and no ability to send or see withdrawal transactions.

Hey visdude, not yet. I know that's the feature you're pining for, but this was only the first step in that direction. Offline signing is planned in addition to multi-sig functionality in the GUI.

I take it that the view-only wallet feature allows us to create a corresponding offline wallet for signing transactions like in XMR GUI wallet and some BTC wallets. If so, is there a set up instruction or a guide somewhere?

Hey visdude, not yet. I know that's the feature you're pining for, but this was only the first step in that direction. Offline signing is planned in addition to multi-sig functionality in the GUI.
copper member

no. view-only wallet allows you to see incoming transactions only and no ability to send or see withdrawal transactions.
legendary

[UPDATE][R] Ryo Wallet Atom - 1.1.0
Meet major update of Ryo Wallet Atom. New view-only wallets, various UX/stability/performance fixes and enhancements and dark theme option.
📋 Read full change list: https://www.reddit.com/r/ryocurrency/comments/9v3pd3/updater_ryo_wallet_atom_110/
💻 Download update: https://github.com/ryo-currency/ryo-wallet/releases/tag/1.1.0

copper member

[UPDATE][R] Ryo Currency 'Pie Orbital' 0.3.2.0
This update brings new RPC calls that are used in updated Ryo Atom Wallet 1.1.0 (like restore view-only wallet, change password RPC and others) and various bugfixes.
https://github.com/ryo-currency/ryo-currency/releases/tag/0.3.2.0
copper member

[UPDATE][R] Ryo Wallet Atom - 1.1.0
Meet major update of Ryo Wallet Atom. New view-only wallets, various UX/stability/performance fixes and enhancements and dark theme option.
📋 Read full change list: https://www.reddit.com/r/ryocurrency/comments/9v3pd3/updater_ryo_wallet_atom_110/
💻 Download update: https://github.com/ryo-currency/ryo-wallet/releases/tag/1.1.0
copper member

Big news! Next fork will remove payment ids and replace them with a private system that's retrofitted to support the current ids!

Let me show you just how bad payment ids are for privacy. https://xmrchain.net/tx/e4fc6968e94d4eb742a837c745ab908be3047db16b77a37fba2e34a1e5e4fc48 … This is a large exchange withdrawal. There is a payment id in every ring. 45 0-mixins and 45 account numbers, on a privacy coin... We are removing all pids in a seamless retrofit next fork in $ryo

https://twitter.com/fireice_uk/status/1060167526896799744
copper member
4Gb cards can do 500 hs?  Angry
depends on chip, mem frequency.
RX570 4GB
RX580 4GB

hash around 750-780
Activity: 3
4Gb cards can do 500 hs?  Angry
copper member
xmr-stak.2.5.0 yes 2 gb is this normal?
2Gb cards are very slow, because Cn-heavy is very ram dependant. If you OC it and find best stak settings, you can get 320 +/- 50hs I assume.
Pages:
Jump to: