Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][SIM] Simcoin - A Simple Coin - page 51. (Read 157733 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002
Simcoin Developer
May 17, 2014, 04:12:38 AM
Do you plan to add anonymous features? It looks like DarkCoin skyrocketed because of it.

My position on anonymity stays the same - it's an important option, but should not be a default protocol.

For performance reasons and for accountability of public servants.

If you are a private citizen and you send an anonymous transaction - that's fine. If you are handling other people's money, for example, if you are a charity or some form of local government, then sending a private transaction is a big red flag and requires explanation.

If all transactions are private it will be harder to keep public servants accountable and corruption is not a joke.

As soon as the system is working, providing optional anonymity will be on top of the list.
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
May 16, 2014, 07:42:04 PM
Do you plan to add anonymous features? It looks like DarkCoin skyrocketed because of it.

Some news: http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/technology/irs-bitcoin/

It would be good to offer what people asking!
Activity: 221
Merit: 100
May 16, 2014, 06:17:43 PM
A distribution of some coins akin to the aethereum idea sounds like a great way to get a lot of people involved.
Simcoin Developer
May 16, 2014, 06:08:44 PM
What do you, guys, think about a giveaway that gives people simcoins, proportional to the amount of Bitcoins they own?

Let's say we declare a day on which we take a "snapshot" of the Bitcoin's blockchain.

Then people can sign something with their account's private key and get some simcoins, proportional to what they owned at the moment.

We can also add a time limit to solve the problem of all the lost bitcoins and to exclude the share of people who are not interested.

Might be easier to do with NXT though...
Merit: 500
Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.
May 16, 2014, 04:46:42 AM
Are you a UX designer too, or will you hire one for the client, etc?

Here is a good article about the importance of simple design: http://firstround.com/article/Simple-Design-is-What-You-Need-Not-What-You-Want-1

Maybe it will help in some way.
Simcoin Developer
May 14, 2014, 05:21:52 PM
Well, not anymore. We passed 110 BTC and it's now 70.26%.
Simcoin Developer
May 14, 2014, 12:11:30 PM
Fun fact: at this very moment the top 50 investors own EXACTLY 70.00% of the IPO.

What are the chances? Smiley

We love round numbers, what can I say...
Simcoin Developer
May 14, 2014, 04:21:21 AM
Has there been any discussion regarding the scalability problem?

How many transactions/second will the infrastructure be able to support?

At this point in cryptocurrencies life, TPS is not an issue at all.

We can see that Bitcoin is doing all right with its "measly" 7 TPS.

On the other hand, I know that some in NXT community are obsessed with an arbitrary round number of 1000 TPS and share a delusion that they can achieve it (without any feasibility study done, mind you).

I think that in the nearest future, it will neither be feasible, nor required, for any crypto to reach 1000 TPS. We should be comfortable with 10-100 TPS (i.e. PayPal level).

So this is my goal. 10 TPS is rather easy, 100 TPS is probably realistic with some tweaks and optimizations.

May 14, 2014, 02:51:20 AM
Has there been any discussion regarding the scalability problem?

How many transactions/second will the infrastructure be able to support?
Activity: 380
Merit: 275
May 13, 2014, 10:18:22 PM
Tested Windows 8, all looks well. Keep up the good work.
May 11, 2014, 05:30:13 PM

Weekly progress report

I agree we can close the discussion, seems a lot of times plausible reasons are not taken for what they are.

Tested the client and it runs fine.

Anyway, glad to see the progress, keep it up.
Simcoin Developer
May 11, 2014, 03:27:00 PM
One comment (minor): When inside the vault, the "X" button would be better named "BACK", because the "x" buttons next to each account perform a delete. Thus, the user is confused what the "x" button does: it deletes or it goes back?

Thanks, good point. But it's just a test client, it's not how the end product will look, it's just there to test the vault and exposed API and perform basic interactions with nodes.

So don't pay much attention to the crude interface Smiley

EDIT: Just noticed your signature - nice Grin
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction
May 11, 2014, 03:18:31 PM
Tested it. Runs fine. All unicode chars are shown perfectly.

One comment (minor): When inside the vault, the "X" button would be better named "BACK", because the "x" buttons next to each account perform a delete. Thus, the user is confused what the "x" button does: it deletes or it goes back?

Smiley
Simcoin Developer
May 11, 2014, 11:54:02 AM
"Copy" button works fine on IE 11.0.9600.17105!!!    Grin

Ok, that's good.
Simcoin Developer
May 11, 2014, 11:47:13 AM
I thought you meant something else...  but there is still a problem though...  I get passed the stage where we need to enter a password to enter the vault...  then...  if I click on an address to enter the account I get a little window titled Message from webpage that says Sorry, not implemented yet!

Click "Create New Account" button. Clicking on addresses does nothing, the message is correct Smiley
Simcoin Developer
May 11, 2014, 11:33:24 AM
Distribution update

Test the "Copy" button on the account creation dialog and make sure it copies the secret into the clipboard, I read that it might not work in higher IE versions.

I am on IE 11.0.9600.17105...  there is NO "Copy" button on the account creation dialog...  highlight -> right-click doesn't work either.

No context menu or keyboard shortcuts is normal, it's not done yet, apparently it doesn't work out of the box and needs external handling.

But no Copy? That's strange.

This is how it should look:

Can you post a screenshot?
Simcoin Developer
May 11, 2014, 10:38:39 AM
Distribution update

169 investors with 109.249 BTC.

Top 10 accounts own 24.03% compared to 24.17% on May 8 and 25.54% on April 28.

Daily deposits

Weekly progress report

Another slow week. I think of it as building a pyramid (visual pun intended):

First layers take a lot of work without increasing the height of the pyramid much. But once you get closer to the top – whoosh! – you'll start advancing in giant steps Smiley

---

• Some time spent updating everything to support Unicode paths and file names. We need to be international.
  • UTF-8 update also extended to JS API: functions like enum_vaults() now return proper Unicode strings.
  • Switch to Unicode also made IniFile class too ugly. It already used outdated functions like WritePrivateProfileString(), which are relics from 16-bit times, so I rewrote it.
  • Added more unit tests for basic functions and new INI class.
  • Developing the Vault further. Added some functions, like re-encryption on password change.
  • The rest was spent on the client, more JS API functions exposed. It can now generate new accounts and save them in vaults.
  • JS API documentation started here: https://simcoin.info/wiki/Client_JS_API

Another test client release (v0.3)

Please download and test it:

https://simcoin.info/simcoin_v03.zip

There are files with Unicode names inside, so if you have problems with ZIP, try 7z:

https://simcoin.info/simcoin_v03.7z

Password for included vaults: "123".

There is a UTF-8 string at the top, make sure all characters are displayed.

Test the "Copy" button on the account creation dialog and make sure it copies the secret into the clipboard, I read that it might not work in higher IE versions.

Extra

I want to praise fsonex's work: he kept improving the code he did for the bounty and after a few iterations it became practically a complete Simcoin network monitoring tool.

He then restyled it to match my IPO design and look at it:

http://107.170.126.199/simcoin/tools/check_network.php

How cool is that? Smiley

This is an important piece of work, because PHP - UDP bridge is the basis for many services that want to interact with Simcoin network. And fsonex did an excellent job on that. It's good he decided to help.

He is now working on porting the C version of Blake2s-based hash functions into JavaScript, which is important for developing proper web-clients.

---

That is all for this week. Even if things are somewhat slow I am happy with the steady progress.

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
May 10, 2014, 07:49:40 PM
Stop posting so much crap and leave the Dev alone so he can get back to work.  Cheesy
Simcoin Developer
May 10, 2014, 09:47:50 AM
Ok, there was way too much negativity today, so here's a picture of a panda:

And this one I should print out and nail to the wall right in front of me:

So let's all take a deep breath here and pause for a while, I need to get some work done. This is becoming too distracting.

I will clean this topic a bit and lock it temporary.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
May 10, 2014, 09:32:27 AM
I will consider investing in this project when there is proof. NXT at least had some things working when funds were being raised.

Since the OP is leaving the IPO open as long as he wants, there is no logical reason not to show proof. Either he shows proof, gets more IPO investment and still gets his 20% cut. Or he shows no proof, gets much less IPO investment than he would otherwise and still gets his 20% cut. Therefore myself and others are naturally averse to putting money into this.
Pages:
Jump to: