Author

Topic: [ANN][The Original Multipool - Scrypt/SHA256/Scrypt-N/X11] multipool.us - page 134. (Read 424232 times)

Activity: 138
Merit: 100
Seems to work, I received some more today.  The question is about getting hung up on long blocks, unlucky while other coins pay better as any residual mners have no chance of finishing a block really
LTC compares well mostly so I think its ok  to wait to switch till finding a block, whats the longest a block has taken us recently

It's hard to know as the stats show time between blocks but not if it was sustained or the MP went to other coins in between. I know there was a 15 minute period I was watching that no blocks were found and no payouts. Is the gaps between payout worth it if you eventually get a block?  Not sure. I know when the MP is mining it shows like 3 hours in the stats to find a block give or take luck. There is an available block out there now but we are mining something else now.

JR

We mined LTC for about 5.5 hours today and found 8 blocks.

We're supposed to find about a block an hour.

People are struggling to understand how averages work. Maybe we hit LTC 2 times for 30 minutes each and don't find a block...but then the next time it hits it for an hour and finds 3. Higher hash rates help consistency...but in the long-run consistency isn't really that big of a deal as long as it all averages out in the end.

I think there *is* actually an issue that happens when the network hashrate spikes, however.

When the LTC block time goes substantially less than 2.5 minutes, we definitely find fewer than expected blocks.  I've seen this play out over and over again.  It's not simply an averaging thing.  If the block time is at 2 minutes, we have 20% less time to find a block (on average, before a block is found on the network), so we are likely to find about 20% fewer blocks.  It is during these times that connecting to a larger pool would give us an advantage.

If there is some flaw in my reasoning here someone please point it out.

Unless there is some kind of lag when detecting the new blocks, this shouldn't be an issue, right? Unless you have hard-coded settings based around 2.5 minute block times. Can you set a dynamic expiry, perhaps? I don't know the solution...but I guess this doesn't make sense to me.

Until the difficulty went over 500, I used to solo-mine LTC with 25 MH and I would get a better return than I did when mining at a pool (probably just a coincidence but it obviously wasn't a major disadvantage to solo-mine.) When th

e difficulty rose even higher, I started exclusively pool mining as I don't like waiting too long to find a block.

Just a thought: What about mining LTC until a block is found before switching again ? Should only take on average 1 hour.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
Please add Redcoin
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
www.multipool.us
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Nice idea. gonna try it.
www.multipool.us
Also, just to verify, you are running the latest Megacoin client, 0.8.996, correct? It appears you are but I just thought I'd make sure.

Yes, it is trading on Cryptsy again, the price appears stable.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer
Also, just to verify, you are running the latest Megacoin client, 0.8.996, correct? It appears you are but I just thought I'd make sure.
Also -- where are you pulling the MEC price from? MEC currently isn't trading on Cryptsy and it's been sitting at 0.00006 on multipool for quite a while now. I sent you an Email on it...but I'm thinking we should probably disable MEC on the multiport until it's at least trading at a reputable exchange. At PhenixEX (the only exchange actively trading MEC right now after the fork this morning) it's currently trading at 0.00000009 BTC.

I'd rather rely on a 12 hour quote from Cryptsy than a quote from PhenixEx.

Oh I agree completely -- I wasn't suggesting using PhenixEx haha. Cryptsy is the only exchange reputable enough to use for most of these calculations in my opinion. I'm just saying...we're going to be seeing a lot of panic-dumping as soon as it is re-added to Cryptsy and I think 0.00006 might be a bit generous at this point. People always freak out after these things and it takes a few days to recover.

I think 0.00006 is probably undervaluing it, really...but at this point it's nothing more than a wild guess as to what MEC will be trading at when it's back at the exchange.
Seems to work, I received some more today.  The question is about getting hung up on long blocks, unlucky while other coins pay better as any residual mners have no chance of finishing a block really
LTC compares well mostly so I think its ok  to wait to switch till finding a block, whats the longest a block has taken us recently

It's hard to know as the stats show time between blocks but not if it was sustained or the MP went to other coins in between. I know there was a 15 minute period I was watching that no blocks were found and no payouts. Is the gaps between payout worth it if you eventually get a block?  Not sure. I know when the MP is mining it shows like 3 hours in the stats to find a block give or take luck. There is an available block out there now but we are mining something else now.

JR

People are struggling to understand how averages work. Maybe we hit LTC 2 times for 30 minutes each and don't find a block...but then the next time it hits it for an hour and finds 3. Higher hash rates help consistency...but in the long-run consistency isn't really that big of a deal as long as it all averages out in the end.

I think there *is* actually an issue that happens when the network hashrate spikes, however.

When the LTC block time goes substantially less than 2.5 minutes, we definitely find fewer than expected blocks.  I've seen this play out over and over again.  It's not simply an averaging thing.  If the block time is at 2 minutes, we have 20% less time to find a block (on average, before a block is found on the network), so we are likely to find about 20% fewer blocks.  It is during these times that connecting to a larger pool would give us an advantage.

Unless there is some kind of lag when detecting the new blocks, this shouldn't be an issue, right? Unless you have hard-coded settings based around 2.5 minute block times. Can you set a dynamic expiry, perhaps? I don't know the solution...but I guess this doesn't make sense to me.

Until the difficulty went over 500, I used to solo-mine LTC with 25 MH and I would get a better return than I did when mining at a pool (probably just a coincidence but it obviously wasn't a major disadvantage to solo-mine.) When the difficulty rose even higher, I started exclusively pool mining as I don't like waiting too long to find a block.
www.multipool.us
Also -- where are you pulling the MEC price from? MEC currently isn't trading on Cryptsy and it's been sitting at 0.00006 on multipool for quite a while now. I sent you an Email on it...but I'm thinking we should probably disable MEC on the multiport until it's at least trading at a reputable exchange. At PhenixEX (the only exchange actively trading MEC right now after the fork this morning) it's currently trading at 0.00000009 BTC.

It's not forked, there was a "recall" on the latest version this morning, I updated and the network is fine, no forks are being reported in the MEC thread.

Cryptsy just hasn't re-enabled it yet.

PhenixEx is currently completely broken, people can't get coins in or out for the past 2-3 days.  I'd rather rely on a 12 hour quote from Cryptsy than a quote from PhenixEx.
www.multipool.us

JR

JR

People are struggling to understand how averages work. Maybe we hit LTC 2 times for 30 minutes each and don't find a block...but then the next time it hits it for an hour and finds 3. Higher hash rates help consistency...but in the long-run consistency isn't really that big of a deal since it all averages out in the end.
www.multipool.us

JR

Activity: 147

JR
STT
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1448
LTC compares well mostly so I think its ok  to wait to switch till finding a block, whats the longest a block has taken us recently
Should we be mining LTC?  Not sure we have the hash power to easily find blocks.

JR
Why would you post that here instead of in it's own thread?

You talking to me?  If so huh?
Activity: 182
Why would you post that here instead of in it's own thread?
I have almost completed a new view of Multipool that is a streamlined view of content for desktop, tablet, phone of mining statistics.  Combination of feeds from Multipool and Cryptsy since Multipool alone doesn't feed the coin to BTC values in their JSON.  Something I've been using for a while to get a simpler view of the data.  Does basically three things:

• Shows coins you have matured in Multipool and at the end the total value in BTC
  • Takes each miner and consolidates if a miner is mining multiple coins, into a single hashrate display for each miner instead of listing a single miner three times if it's mining three coins across cards
  • Summary of number of miners, overall speed, current pool mining, list of what you are mining

Is this something people would be interested in using if I made the URL public?  I'm finishing up some adaptive CSS for it now.

Thanks.

JR
www.multipool.us
i've posted this before, got no response or pm.

Payout WDC not received, please take a look operator. Thanks in advance. 1st time this happend.

WDC   Sep 09 1:36 AM   WVsH8brNvzbwUupkwqsiTADN54KYvgsvEz    448.34474454

"account" : "",
        "address" : "WVsH8brNvzbwUupkwqsiTADN54KYvgsvEz",
        "category" : "send",
        "amount" : -448.34474454,
        "fee" : 0.00000000,
        "confirmations" : 13918,
        "blockhash" : "d79825a29c780e5c883a5e17206169721f20ac3b1bc57ad7f1ed4c2d5cc747af",
        "blockindex" : 1,
        "txid" : "4cc7795e35f2d33df0989e159e2d932b019d8f6b4fbf3deda82f53e70c76ce4c",
        "time" : 1378683380

Jump to: