Author

Topic: [ANN][The Original Multipool - Scrypt/SHA256/Scrypt-N/X11] multipool.us - page 130. (Read 424232 times)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
www.multipool.us
The new system is proportional.  Everything I posted earlier about the increased round times is no longer applicable.  That was only in place until I could get the new proportional system up and running.

The only modification I have made is to spread the payment over a few blocks on the really fast coins.  Other than that it's straight proportional.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
We need an explanation from someone who actually knows what is happening, rather than just guessing.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
I believe that with newest proportional round time is set to 7 days for all coins.

Not quite sure what that means. Splain ? (sorry for the newbness).

No quite sure I like this. Digicoin frequently pops to 1500% bitcoin for about 2 hours. This could be missed completely if mining LTC, FTC, NVC.

I don't see why you would have to go more than 2 hours static on a coin.

Personally I will not get caught in this trap. Manual mining for now. Quite happy manual mining CGB at the moment.

You misunderstand what flound is saying. The Mulipool can switch coins just as often as before, the round time has nothing to do with switching.

Besides, he has since switched to a proportional system which I believe doesn't even use round times.

Oh ok, I misunderstood then thanks. My apologies to Flound.
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
I believe that with newest proportional round time is set to 7 days for all coins.
Activity: 104
Merit: 10

No quite sure I like this. Digicoin frequently pops to 1500% bitcoin for about 2 hours. This could be missed completely if mining LTC, FTC, NVC.

Personally I will not get caught in this trap. Manual mining for now. Quite happy manual mining CGB at the moment.

You misunderstand what flound is saying. The Mulipool can switch coins just as often as before, the round time has nothing to do with switching.

Besides, he has since switched to a proportional system which I believe doesn't even use round times.
I haven't worked out the details yet, but I'm going to be moving to a proportional-like payment system soon.

I've been thinking a lot about the current payment system lately, and I think it's partially to blame for the low profitability.  The amount the multiport miners lose out on paying the dedicated miners right after a switch is never made up for on the other end after the multiport leaves that particular pool.  In order to make up for this, I'd either need to move down to an extremely low round time (e.g. 20 seconds) or make the round much longer.

For now I have dramatically increased the round time on many coins in an attempt to spread the rewards more fairly.  I've also increased the amount of time that the Multiport will stay on some coins before moving off.

Litecoin: 24h
FTC, NVC: 6h
DGC, WDC, CGB, MNC: 1h

I believe this should increase profits for the multiport miners to more closely match the calculated profitability.

The description so far is: "a proportional-like payment system"
That doesn't really count as details!
Especially in the situation multipool has with both dedicated pools and the switching multipool, which is much more complex that a normal single pool.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
Wow, flound!  It was a spectacular night on the pool!!!!! 

Anything to do with the new scoring mods?
Could you post some details of exactly how the new scoring system works?
The Help details on the webpage still refer to PPLNS.
How does this affect people mining on one of the dedicated pools, rather than the multipool?

from DeepBit: "You get a portion of every solved block proportional to your part in pool's hashing power."

Flound can correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way I understand it; Let's say it took 10000 shares before a block was found and you submitted 200. You would get 200/10000 (2%) of the value of the solved block.

To me this is the best and most fair payment method. You get paid exactly the amount you should for the portion of work you put in.
The new scoring (proportional) system is in place.  It was actually simpler than I thought it would be and I did not need to change the DB almost at all.  Also, payout calculations have improved in performance.

I keep 7 days worth of shares in the DB, so unless a block takes more than 7 days to find, all shares submitted will be paid.

That was fast, thanks Flound. Did you remove all the handicaps and the minimum time to mine certain coins coins since this isn't necessary anymore using a proportional system. You should simply have a minimum difference before the multipool switches from one coin to another to prevent it rapidly switching, say 1%.
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
How does this affect people mining on one of the dedicated pools, rather than the multipool?

+1
www.multipool.us
The new scoring (proportional) system is in place.  It was actually simpler than I thought it would be and I did not need to change the DB almost at all.  Also, payout calculations have improved in performance.

I keep 7 days worth of shares in the DB, so unless a block takes more than 7 days to find, all shares submitted will be paid.
Activity: 173
I just know that I have a problem - only for me?
When you dig into the pool coinotron.com large lag.
And if I'm not close it all goes to hell.
I haven't worked out the details yet, but I'm going to be moving to a proportional-like payment system soon.

I've been thinking a lot about the current payment system lately, and I think it's partially to blame for the low profitability.  The amount the multiport miners lose out on paying the dedicated miners right after a switch is never made up for on the other end after the multiport leaves that particular pool.  In order to make up for this, I'd either need to move down to an extremely low round time (e.g. 20 seconds) or make the round much longer.

For now I have dramatically increased the round time on many coins in an attempt to spread the rewards more fairly.  I've also increased the amount of time that the Multiport will stay on some coins before moving off.

I believe this should increase profits for the multiport miners to more closely match the calculated profitability.

Wow, that's a significant change... increasing the round times should help quit a bit. But it also means your database will grow by a huge margin as you now have to keep track of a lot more shares. I hope this won't cause any issues...

But this part is what surprised me the most: "I'm going to be moving to a proportional-like payment system soon". That's what I've been asking for all along. THANK YOU!!!  Grin
www.multipool.us

I've been thinking a lot about the current payment system lately, and I think it's partially to blame for the low profitability.  The amount the multiport miners lose out on paying the dedicated miners right after a switch is never made up for on the other end after the multiport leaves that particular pool.  In order to make up for this, I'd either need to move down to an extremely low round time (e.g. 20 seconds) or make the round much longer.

legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
Yeah I'll be using my miner to keep my basement warm lol. It might be a nice boost of heat, 600W would do a fair bit.

I'm also at the break even point too right now, pretty much have paid off my single 7950 that I bought back in July so I'm happy. Smiley Don't think I'll be buying any more mining stuff either.
www.multipool.us
Is something up with payments?

In the past 24 hours I've made about 0.004BTC with 1MH/s using multipool + 1 coin auto send to cryptsy for auto-sell.

Usually would be getting around 0.01BTC minimum, usually around 0.025BTC.

0.01 0.015 BTC per MH/s is the best you can get nowadays and it's going down every day. I can barely pay electricity with a 0.08$/kWh rate. This altcoin mining game is almost over.
Hope it doesn't end for awhile, I've been making solid profits for the last two or three months mining alt-coins.

But if that ever does happen... I'll be getting out of crypto markets so fast... lol.

The altcoin market is spread too thin, we need some exciting shit to go down like 51% on some of the chains.

Or, it might be time to finally stop gpu-mining and sell the rest on ebay.

That's not very exciting...

No but if the coins we mine are worth less than the power to run our rigs then what's the point. I'm lucky, my electricity is cheap and now that heating season is around the corner, my miners will be helping to heat my house. Since I heat with electricity, keeping my miners up and running will be a no brainer. However, come spring time, the way things are going I'll be shutting it all down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most efficient method of scrypt mining is using a 79XX video card. The top miner on the mutipool has a hash rate of over 50 MH/s. To get that hash rate you'd need about 70 video cards. At about 250 watts per card, that's 17.5kW or 73A on 240v. That's a lot of power and a lot of heat to dissipate. How are people doing this? Can it be that someone has figured out how to script mine using FGPA?

Doubtful..  Most likely those people are in places with cheap electric.  One of our miners owns a warehouse in Idaho, and he gets electric for like $0.07/KWh.

I'm pretty much at the breakeven point now, the main reason I keep my miners on is to make sure the pool's working properly.  I have some ASICs on order but who knows when they'll arrive.

Paulm made a good point about the heating season, it's basically free to mine if you're heating your house.  My main rig is in the garage though and I have no desire to move it inside.
Activity: 319
No but if the coins we mine are worth less than the power to run our rigs then what's the point. I'm lucky, my electricity is cheap and now that heating season is around the corner, my miners will be helping to heat my house. Since I heat with electricity, keeping my miners up and running will be a no brainer. However, come spring time, the way things are going I'll be shutting it all down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most efficient method of scrypt mining is using a 79XX video card. The top miner on the mutipool has a hash rate of over 50 MH/s. To get that hash rate you'd need about 70 video cards. At about 250 watts per card, that's 17.5kW or 73A on 240v. That's a lot of power and a lot of heat to dissipate. How are people doing this? Can it be that someone has figured out how to script mine using FGPA?
You have to remember, all the pre-ASIC miners (GPUs) are now either mining SCRYPT or have sold the gear. That makes a large secondary mining market, all based on a lot of coins of questionable worth. Without something major to mix things up, I give it another month before I'm break even on electric costs. Once it goes negative, people will start shutting down miners, and it will balance out.
Jump to: