Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 120. (Read 379983 times)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10
September 24, 2013, 07:02:31 PM
I believe what we are witnessing is like a reverse pre-mine...
Or prices just had been too optimistic ...

Agreed. If BTC hadn't increased in value quite steadily, but instead stagnated or even devalued, I'm pretty sure we'll still be at 0.4 mBTC per YAC. IMHO altcoins are gonna have a pretty rough time for a few months to come (I expect it to last at least until March).

I absolutely agree with you all, the price of YACoin has gone down lately but I also agree that now is a great time to buy the coin. When you compare YAC to many of the the simple Bitcoin or Litecoin clones, you can see the YAC has some very impressive qualities and it does make it stand out and be unique. The coin has done extremely well, and this is even when it had no developer, pocopoco abandoned the coin almost at birth, and no active management. It has survived on it's own just from it's merit. Now when I say it has survived on it's own I do not take away the huge amount of time/energy/money that has been invested by the YAC community. WE made this coin, because we believe in this coin and because the coin has the properties that we believe will make it last the test of time.

I have invested a huge amount of time reading up on this coin and others, and have decided to stick with YAC and do what I can do best, invest in it. If you believe in the coin, invest in it. I hold a nice chunk of YAC and will continue to invest in it because I think the price drop is only temporary and the value will go up. With the current budget debacle in the US more people will turn to Bitcoin, the price of Bitcoin will go up and because YAC is valued against Bitcoin it's value will go down. I still think that YAC is priced cheap and will buy it.

OK all, I will get off my high horse and shut up. You guys are all great and you make this community and YACoin valuable.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
September 24, 2013, 06:05:56 PM
I'm having troubles mining PoS blocks. In last few days, I've used both CC and classic YACoin versions (including yacoind daemon) but no
PoS blocks were mined. I'm PoS mining occassionaly, in few hours sessions, and there are plenty of inputs older than 30 days. Compared
to previous PoS mining session times, at least few blocks should be mined by now. Another odd thing is that CPU usage is almost constantly
at 50% which is much higher than it used to be with PoS mining previously. On YACoin explorer, I have noticed less PoS blocks than one
month ago but due to PoS reward splitting there should be more PoS blocks, or it is others having PoS issues and / or not PoS mining?

What are prerequisites for PoS mining on WinXP? What OS services or add-ons YACoin uses? I have reinstalled OS recently and went for
"minimized" WinXP created with nLite, everything works fine except now YACoin PoS mining is acting strange.
It should be completely self-contained (and if something was missing it'll let you know and wouldn't start at all). The PoS mining is completely random just as PoW mining (it's the same process - hashing a block header until the hash is lower than the difficulty target). The increased CPU usage can have other causes, like validation of new blocks or coinstakes (coinstakes take much longer to validate IIRC). The PoS reward splitting is not an issue (it also joins multiple small inputs into one large output - this already happended at least once, so I'm sure it works).

1st PoS session, over 2 months ago = all coins were on one address and one input, it took few hours to generate stake (~1 block every few hours)
2nd PoS session, over 1 month ago = coins were on 5 addresses and like 100 inputs, it took 2 weeks to generate stakes (~1 block every few hours)
3rd PoS session, started 5 days ago = coins are on 10 addresses and like 1000 inputs (all over 10 YAC), no stake generated yet

Huh
Well, I can make a Fast'n'Furious PoS yacoin-qt build for you if you want (remove the delay so it will hash like crazy, eating 100% cpu). Should be fairly easy to do, I'll look into it tomorrow. This way we can eliminate the possibility of a bug.
September 24, 2013, 05:44:20 PM
Is there any guide how to pos mining yacoin?

Buy some YAC, or have some in your wallet and wait thirty (30) days, and then you should start Point of Stake take place. It is as simple as that. By the way, it is 5% per year the coin that are generated, and of course it is the value of your coins that are PoS. At least that is now I understand it to work. Hope it helped.
September 24, 2013, 05:16:34 PM
I'm having troubles mining PoS blocks. In last few days, I've used both CC and classic YACoin versions (including yacoind daemon) but no
PoS blocks were mined. I'm PoS mining occassionaly, in few hours sessions, and there are plenty of inputs older than 30 days. Compared
to previous PoS mining session times, at least few blocks should be mined by now. Another odd thing is that CPU usage is almost constantly
at 50% which is much higher than it used to be with PoS mining previously. On YACoin explorer, I have noticed less PoS blocks than one
month ago but due to PoS reward splitting there should be more PoS blocks, or it is others having PoS issues and / or not PoS mining?

What are prerequisites for PoS mining on WinXP? What OS services or add-ons YACoin uses? I have reinstalled OS recently and went for
"minimized" WinXP created with nLite, everything works fine except now YACoin PoS mining is acting strange.
It should be completely self-contained (and if something was missing it'll let you know and wouldn't start at all). The PoS mining is completely random just as PoW mining (it's the same process - hashing a block header until the hash is lower than the difficulty target). The increased CPU usage can have other causes, like validation of new blocks or coinstakes (coinstakes take much longer to validate IIRC). The PoS reward splitting is not an issue (it also joins multiple small inputs into one large output - this already happended at least once, so I'm sure it works).

1) launch yacoin-qt
2) get some YACs
3) ???
4) profit!
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
September 24, 2013, 04:32:07 PM
September 24, 2013, 11:53:49 AM

Agreed. If BTC hadn't increased in value quite steadily, but instead stagnated or even devalued, I'm pretty sure we'll still be at 0.4 mBTC per YAC. IMHO altcoins are gonna have a pretty rough time for a few months to come (I expect it to last at least until March).
Activity: 280
September 24, 2013, 11:41:10 AM

When you look at http://www.yacoinstats.tk/coin-supply.html you see that new coin supply had been nearly constant over the last 3-4 month. When you estimate Yacoins marketcap for the future you have to remember that there will be far more coins by then.

At first the market was extremly over optimistic on YAC. By the time prices were at 0.4mBTC (2013-05-31) the MC wasn't looking too big for a crypto with such great features, but it would have to grow to 320kUSD* in the next 3 month just to keep that price. In other words it would have needed people to spend ~50kUSD/mo on YAC (without anyone selling their old coins.)

It seems to me that this was doomed to happen without an extreme demand for YAC. Once people noticed that YAC didn't skyrocket as expected they stoped buying. With decreasing prices from the miners others started to sell and we ended up at the current MC.

This behavour makes YAC the ideal currency once the coin growth/mc decrease period is over, but it's impossible to predict when that happens. I belive now is a good time to accumulate some Yac. Not at once, but like fixed USD per week.**

*BTC is a bad way to measure MC or value
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging
Activity: 693
Merit: 500
September 24, 2013, 10:59:30 AM
So is YaCoin actually accepted anywhere?

Why the price is constantly going down?  Embarrassed  I thought it must grow when we got new developers (who are active finally) but unfortunately it went down to new lows.
I still believe in Yacoin but less than before. I heard some people are accumulating YAC becuase some people expect price growth. Do you think it is possible?

I believe what we are witnessing is like a reverse pre-mine... The original idea is that when the difficulty drops more people will mine because reward increases... however, the drop is too significant in rewarding latecomers and not enticing enough to get enough latecomers to compensate for the difficulty decrease/reward increase.  Of course, you have PoS which will increase in its share of blocks--thus rewarding the savers--but still.  And is anyone else uneasy about the fact that there is no supply limit?  I guess you can make estimations on an upperlimit minus the PoS inflation, but it is so difficult with the Nfactor changes, and isn't GPU mining going to be obsolete soon (but unknown when, I understand it will happen in Novemeber)?
[/quote]

The other thing to take into consideration is that BTC is at its highest value during the life of YAC right now.  In April, BTC fell to $60-$80.  Now, it's going in the $130 range.  YAC  is no longer over-valued (as most young coins are), but is pretty much in-line with other alt-coins.  Coupled with the rise in BTC, it's gone way low.
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
September 24, 2013, 10:31:01 AM
Quote from: people that dont like the new logo
The vote was completed and a majority voiced their opinion.     
IMHO the vote should have been done at YACointalk not at Bitcointalk to get the vote more accepted. Asking at Bitcontalk for a new logo is like asking the workers at Ford for a new GMC logo and then wondering why GMC doesnt accept the new logo  Wink

No not quite... 

I sent the new logo in 64x64 to the yacoin.org website guy. The wallet client links might need updating too.

Thanks much Sahtor!

Why the price is constantly going down?  Embarrassed  I thought it must grow when we got new developers (who are active finally) but unfortunately it went down to new lows.
I still believe in Yacoin but less than before. I heard some people are accumulating YAC becuase some people expect price growth. Do you think it is possible?

I believe what we are witnessing is like a reverse pre-mine... The original idea is that when the difficulty drops more people will mine because reward increases... however, the drop is too significant in rewarding latecomers and not enticing enough to get enough latecomers to compensate for the difficulty decrease/reward increase.  Of course, you have PoS which will increase in its share of blocks--thus rewarding the savers--but still.  And is anyone else uneasy about the fact that there is no supply limit?  I guess you can make estimations on an upperlimit minus the PoS inflation, but it is so difficult with the Nfactor changes, and isn't GPU mining going to be obsolete soon (but unknown when, I understand it will happen in Novemeber)?
Activity: 140
In POS we trust
September 24, 2013, 05:50:05 AM
I guess most miners dump their mined YACoins as quick as possible,which isnt smart IMHO. An exchange price is alwas made up by supply and demand. If you hold your coins for a while then the supply gets shorter while the demand stays the same. That way the price goes up and you can also collect POS in that time  Grin
On the other hand low prices are good when you want to get cheap YACoins  Wink Its just like when you are speculating with stocks: If you want to get rich then dont follow the herd, think up our own investment strategie.
Activity: 81
September 24, 2013, 05:09:41 AM

Activity: 112
September 24, 2013, 04:26:31 AM
I sent the new logo in 64x64 to the yacoin.org website guy. The wallet client links might need updating too.
Activity: 140
In POS we trust
September 24, 2013, 02:45:49 AM
The vote was completed and a majority voiced their opinion.      
IMHO the vote should have been done at YACointalk not at Bitcointalk to get the vote more accepted. Asking at Bitcontalk for a new logo is like asking the workers at Ford for a new GMC logo and then wondering why GMC doesnt accept the new logo  Wink
September 24, 2013, 02:23:30 AM
Created a pull request with added CPU mining checkbox in the Qt client. https://github.com/yacoin/yacoin/pull/10
I don't like how the miner threads remain running for a while even after you disable mining, but it's also happening with the "stock" RPC command "setgenerate".

BTW, we have another Nfactor change due in slightly less than 7 days.

HI Sairon, regarding the Nfactor change coming up, what exactly does that do to the mining pools and solo miners? Is it true that it makes solo mining more profitable, by that I mean solo CPU mining? Thanks always for your knowledge and your dedication to YAC. You are awesome!!!!
It does the exact same think to both pools of GPU miners and solo CPU miners - lowers their hashrate by ~50% (give or take a few %, depends on your memory bandwidth, size of CPU caches, etc...). Also, as the network hashrate drops, the block interval will increase and difficulty will slowly decrease to adjust the interval back to 60 seconds. This might take around a week, during which the mining probably won't be much profitable. However, as the difficulty falls, the block reward will increase, thus somewhat compensating for the non-profitable week. Let's see if the YAC/BTC exchange rate jumps a bit. Wink
September 23, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
Created a pull request with added CPU mining checkbox in the Qt client. https://github.com/yacoin/yacoin/pull/10
I don't like how the miner threads remain running for a while even after you disable mining, but it's also happening with the "stock" RPC command "setgenerate".

HI Sairon, regarding the Nfactor change coming up, what exactly does that do to the mining pools and solo miners? Is it true that it makes solo mining more profitable, by that I mean solo CPU mining? Thanks always for your knowledge and your dedication to YAC. You are awesome!!!!
September 23, 2013, 05:04:24 PM

Activity: 280
September 23, 2013, 12:06:11 PM

The vote was completed and a majority voiced their opinion. For solidarity reasons, it would make sense for the explorer and website to use the new logos and name ...

I totally agree.
Although I also don't like the new logo so much it has been decided in a fair way. It has to be binding or we couldn't decide anything. The logo discusion isn't helping any more and won't change the official logo to your alternative. It just pisses people off when some couldn't acept any other opinion than their own and continue to bitch about the damm logo.

Get over it (and use the official).

For those that want to help out, but are not programmers, help out by positively promoting YACoin in a way that you're able.    
I'm no programmer, but I hope this helps.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gimme-some-yac-300152

All you need to do is sign the message "Gimme some YAC" and post your adress + signature to get some YAC. If enough people post there we could use the this method for the next vote aswell. The registered adresses would be in that thread (and in the blockchain) so we could limit it to 1vote/account.
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
September 23, 2013, 09:48:35 AM

The vote was completed and a majority voiced their opinion. For solidarity reasons, it would make sense for the explorer and website to use the new logos and name, but either way, let's move on to things that matter WAY more than the logo and name/slogan, such as: Moving over to LevelDB so that it doesn't take 20 minutes for the client to start.

If you're able to code, submit some pull requests. There is much that still has to be done. sairon - since you're the only one that currently contributes code, we should coordinate our efforts so that we're not working on the same things at the same time.  

For those that want to help out, but are not programmers, help out by positively promoting YACoin in a way that you're able.     
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
September 22, 2013, 02:21:42 PM

Yes!  So... when is the www.yacoin.org going to change to the new logo?  How about the client?

Does anyone even know if the site is still under ownership of someone who is involved with YACoin Community? I had read somewhere that the person or group had abandoned it, is that true?

I believe that Sahtor is still involved with the site and may be able to change the logo. The logo has been added to beta testing https://github.com/yacoin/yacoin/releases/tag/testing_0.4.1-b which will be the next stable client.
September 21, 2013, 04:59:58 PM

Yes!  So... when is the www.yacoin.org going to change to the new logo?  How about the client?
[/quote]

Does anyone even know if the site is still under ownership of someone who is involved with YACoin Community? I had read somewhere that the person or group had abandoned it, is that true?
Jump to: