Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 64. (Read 379983 times)

Activity: 809
Merit: 501
A few people told me to check YACoin again to add to CPU Coin List since the difficulty made GPU mining much harder. Is that true?

I tried to check the HW stats on wiki but wiki is dead.

Is there an up-to-date list of GPU has rates?

I've got some insight for you:

Radeon R7 240 4GB - 1.1 KH/sec
Radeon R7 250 2GB - 0.8 KH/sec

Core i7 3610 laptop - 0.31 KH/sec

No GPU with 2GB of memory or less has shown to hit over ~1.2 KH/sec (750Ti).  I don't have solid numbers on the higher end AMD cards with 4GB, but none of them can utilize all of the available shaders without lookup-gap going to the moon which really kills performance.  If they hit much higher than 2.5 KH/sec I would be surprised.

so, the GPU advantage is likely less than 10x depending on what hardware you choose for GPU and CPU.

And I'm getting 410 hash/s on an I7-3770S which equates to 22 cents per day before electrical costs --> www.whattomine.com

I'm wondering how that matches up with other CPU coins on the list regardless of the 'GPU advantage'...
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
I know it's stupid but I'm curious how much hashrate would you get on stock 280x?
Activity: 118
Merit: 10
I was wondering if we could use percentage of big PoS miners profit to reward PoW miners that secured PoS blocks in the past. This solution is not attractive yet, because there is not enough money supply.

Here is more or less current information and let's simplify it:

Money Supply:   24M
PoW reward:   57 coins

If there was no PoS, we would get something like this:

PoW currency per day:   82K    (57*60*24)
PoW currency per month:   2.4M   (57*60*24*30)
PoW currency per year:   29M   (57*60*24*30*12)

Maximum PoS reward per year with 24M coins in existance:

24M * 0.05 = 1.2M

Now 1.2M is only half of what would be PoW mined in a month now. So not before money supply hits 600M there will be enough money created with PoS to take over generation rate with PoW.

This is all theory and I know numbers vary each minute (diff, number of PoS blocks...). I am not even sure if 1:10 PoS:PoW ratio means there will always be multiple times more PoW than PoS blocks.

But when we get to that currency ammount (or even before), big PoS miners could start rewarding PoW miners. I thought of this now that I could give a percentage of PoS rewards toward securing blockchain (and that would eventually incentivise PoW miners to secure PoS blocks). If I remember correctly, St.Bit was considering doubling PoW rewards so miners would not ignore PoS blocks for profit sake.
At first I was afraid of this in fear of currency expansion. But that really wouldn't matter when money supply gets big enough for PoS to take over generation.

Big PoS miners could also leverage their reward toward PoW miners that secured "smaller" Pos blocks in between larger PoS-PoW blocks - that would slow down inflation.
In a way this would transfer wealth from the rich but that doesn't worry me since small stakeholders will lose anyway when they don't get their PoS excepted in the chain. On the other hand, rich would get richer.

Could this redistribution be enforced by giving "big" PoS blocks small trust value when they generate a lot of money and they did not include transactions towards older PoW miners who secured previous PoS blocks?
Another way would be to direct a portion of generated interest to those miners.
Activity: 288
Merit: 260
Groko's been doing some work on the POS miner through the YACoin client.  Looks like he found a world around to some of the long-term concerns.  I thought I would share the link here to increase awareness.  I believe he recently made a pull request to have this items added to the sourcecode.

http://yacointalk.grokonet.com/t/pos-mining-performance-boost/67

More excellent additions by Groko! Well need some community consensus on this, so everyone that can, please provide your opinion.

I was asking this feature long ago! So I'm for it.
Activity: 693
Merit: 500
A few people told me to check YACoin again to add to CPU Coin List since the difficulty made GPU mining much harder. Is that true?

I've got some insight for you:

Radeon R7 240 4GB - 1.1 KH/sec
Radeon R7 250 2GB - 0.8 KH/sec

Core i7 3610 laptop - 0.31 KH/sec

No GPU with 2GB of memory or less has shown to hit over ~1.2 KH/sec (750Ti).  I don't have solid numbers on the higher end AMD cards with 4GB, but none of them can utilize all of the available shaders without lookup-gap going to the moon which really kills performance.  If they hit much higher than 2.5 KH/sec I would be surprised.

so, the GPU advantage is likely less than 10x depending on what hardware you choose for GPU and CPU.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0

Not such yet, at next N change at 5 sep speed will possibly balance chances GPU/CPU.
Activity: 347
Merit: 250

I believe the spread is quite a bit less than the 10x cutoff for your CPU Coin List.  There aren't a lot of details on your website about exactly which CPU vs. which GPU would be use to make that calculation.  Given that all of my GPUs have insufficient RAM to mine YAC efficiently at the current value of N, I'm unable to provide GPU hash rates, but I'm sure a few people with 3GB and 4GB cards will weigh in with their current rates.

For comparison, note that the CPU hash rate table I posted on the first page of this thread was fairly old hardware, an IBM blade server with 2x Xeon E5450's (each is basically a 3GHz Core2 Quad), yielding about 187 hash/sec at the current value of N.  Majority of desktop PC's have processors faster than that blade server.  A 2x E5450 server has a Passmark score of about 7778:

Dual E5450:
http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5450+%40+3.00GHz&id=1236&cpuCount=2

An i7-2600k was for a long time the happy medium for people to balance price vs performance on desktop PC's, with a Passmark score of 8597, but is getting a bit "long in the teeth" these days:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+%40+3.40GHz

Something like an i7-4770k would probably be more typical today, at a Passmark score of 10299:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4770K+%40+3.50GHz

So, looking at my old CPU hash rate table, for today's PC's, it would probably be in the ballpark to approximate CPU mining as between 1.1x to 1.32x faster than the table I posted for a typical new PC.  Minor variations will occur due to memory speed and cache configuration in the specific CPU type, of course.

That old CPU hash rate table I posted was at:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2162620
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Interesting...need to get back into yac mining, don't have any suitable gpu yet. :/
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
I am not savvy enough to warp my mind around the combine feature, so I am a little lost in the technical details.

"The old rules were designed for a paradigm that no longer
exists for YACoin. POS blocks are no longer expected to
completely replace POW blocks in some utopia of energy
efficiency. There is no longer any need to split coins into
tiny pieces in order to generate large numbers of POS blocks
in order to 'secure the network'"

I absolutely completely agree with Groko in this statement above. And it is annoying that I have to constantly monitor my transactions and use coin control to manage the smaller inputs creating from splitting after a POS block. I was actually thinking about that recently before I read Groko's thread.

It seems like this update won't even be a 'fork'. There is no risk of any issue if let's say cryptsy doesn't update their wallet. It is just a matter of optimizing POS without having to fiddle with coin control all the time? Sounds like a fantastic improvement and yet another feature that will surely be copied by other POS-POW hybrid coins.

I can't wait to update my wallet with this feature soon. Thank you so much.
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
YACoin has been added to AllCrypt.com!

Excellent, will add you as exchange on yacoin.org
GCVMMWH

Good coin, count me in.

Great to hear!
GCVMMWH
Groko's been doing some work on the POS miner through the YACoin client.  Looks like he found a world around to some of the long-term concerns.  I thought I would share the link here to increase awareness.  I believe he recently made a pull request to have this items added to the sourcecode.

More excellent additions by Groko! Well need some community consensus on this, so everyone that can, please provide your opinion.
Activity: 693
Merit: 500

OMY
Why you decide to add a coin which 1 year old

OMY, why should they support adding coins that prove stable, have a history, and are resilient?  You want scam coin of the week?  sorry, not going to find that in this thread Mr. 1 poster..
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

OMY
Why you decide to add a coin which 1 year old
Activity: 274
Just noticed the upcoming improvement in client and POS performance/handling. Thank you for the good work.  Smiley
Activity: 350
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Thanks everyone for the meme contest finalist position. I'll use the coins for good of the community in one way or another.
Activity: 1426
Merit: 506
jajajaja I dont like it when you are right.

6999948106b595aa6b19d18527811cdc1fcb18fb024019e05dbea4cf27a0c035

Why do so many people not like profit? I'm going to research what is the most profitable CPU-friendly coin with my i7-3770S and lowwww-end pentium G3220...

To add insult to injury... I found the very first block after the difficulty dropped to 499...

you're a good guy, regardless of what the whole UTC community says Wink

Do you mind if I ask what kind of cards you're using there?

Sapphire R7 240 4GB

Ah that makes sense, thanks! Have the 2GB version and can't get past ~610 h/s. Sending a bit of YAC your way
Pages:
Jump to: