Pages:
Author

Topic: [Antminer S1 Sales open] Price changes daily, now 0.414 BTC for 180GH/s - page 78. (Read 346284 times)

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
Anyone else order a few days ago but not get any shipping info??

It's 100% normal to receive the actual unit before BITMAIN updates the website.  Don't sweat it.

Thanks for the reply, eases my mind...
if you have access to 'myUps'  you will see the projected delivery of the ant 2 days before arrival.
Activity: 102
Merit: 10
Can you only order S1s with BTC? Is there a credit card option?
Activity: 322
Merit: 250

It's 100% normal to receive the actual unit before BITMAIN updates the website.  Don't sweat it.

Thanks for the reply, eases my mind...
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

Activity: 147
Merit: 100
quiet fans = less wind = less cooling , better leave original
Activity: 587
Merit: 500
I'm looking at replacing the fans on the ants, as they're in my office and at full speed, can be a little too loud  Grin
Now, will this fan suffice?

http://www.quietpc.com/nx-120-pwm

Or recommend a decent, quiet replacement?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

OK...maybe this is a noob question, but i have been getting my PSUs from NewEgg as well (my all time favorite seller of computer parts and various electronic gizmos).  However, I've been buying name brand PSUs in the 500-550W range.  One Thermaltake for $34 after rebate, one Corsair for $30 after rebate and I'm about to buy an EVGA for $30 after rebate -- all with free shipping.  Link for EVGA PSU here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

They all have 3+ year warranties and the two I own seem to work just fine with the S1 (admittedly I have not yet overclocked the two I own so far)...why are you all buying the big power supplies to run multiple miners?  It seems to me if a big PSU does fail, you have multiple miners out of commission. Maybe I'm missing something?

How are you running an Ant on this PSU Huh It has only 1 PCIE cable with 2 connectors............you using a dual 4pin molex to 6pin PCIE adapter,or both blades on the one cable Huh  Not a good idea if you are  Roll Eyes

I prefer the Corsair CX600,it has 2 separate PCIE cables.So does the CX500  Wink  

I use 2 of those EVGA KR 500 with single 40A rail. Each one running like champs on each their own S1s to power. They are so inexpensive I just cut the CPU plug and spliced it into one of the S1 blade and used the PCI-E plug for the other blade. Running like great 2 months now. Also both S1 over clocked 375. no need to spend top dollar. EVGA make solid PS

Ok,very clever !!!  Wink  

Huh? What's the problem with a single PCIE cable with two connectors?  The Thermaltake PSU ($35) I've been running rock solid  for two weeks now has one cable with two PCIE connectors.  Both the Thermaltake and the EVGA (Just ordered for $30 after rebate) have a single 42 and 40 amp +12V rail (respectively).  These may not be the best PSUs on the planet, but the Thermaltake seems to work just fine, and I expect the same from the EVGA PSU.  These PSUs were, after all, designed to run two video cards with potentially similar draws to the two S1 blades....My other PSU is a Corsair CX500, works just fine as well with two cables/PCIE connectors.

Is the concern wire gauge / fire hazard? While I have not done the math, the cable on the Thermaltake is just warm to the touch (my Starbucks coffee is way hotter Smiley.

Yes,the cable itself is not rated for 400 watts,24hrs a day/7days a week/365 days a year,it MAY melt & COULD start a fire & maybe fry the miner too.Vid cards while gaming use NO WHERE near what these miners use.Even GPU's used for mining use about 30% more mining than gaming or video editing.  

300 watts per cable is about the max you want pull on that cable.So be careful  Wink
Activity: 98

Is the concern wire gauge / fire hazard? While I have not done the math, the cable on the Thermaltake is just warm to the touch (my Starbucks coffee is way hotter Smiley.

yeah, thats the issue. by running a full antminer on only a single wire lead (2 heads) you are putting 360W+ through only 3 wire pairs. Most 18awg wires cant handle this (so yours might be 16awg), and there are past reports of these sort of power connectors failing if overloaded.

If you go throught the bitfury threads, there are a lot of reports from users that used a similar PSU to run >400W to the bitfury board and ended up with small fires or melted wires.

just be mindful of the wire temperatures. If they get any warmer than 'warm' you start increasing the risk of it failing. higher temperatures can create higher resistance and increase the voltage drop, further increasing the amperage pulled by the hardware. If its just a very mild warmth then maybe putting a little airflow nearby will make sure it doesnt become a problem

Thanks.  I will definitely keep an eye (or finger) on the wire temps.  

I did do a bit of research and it looks like it is fine to pull 30A through 3' of 18AWG...with the PCIE connectors we have 3 pair of (at least) 18AWG about 2' in length...seems like it should be OK...but I will still take the words of caution seriously.  The below table may help others.

@ 12 Volts   LENGTH OF WIRE
American Wire Gauge (AWG)

Amps 3'   5'   7'   10'   15'   20'   25'
0-1   18   18   18   18   18   18   18
1.5   18   18   18   18   18   18   18
2   18   18   18   18   18   18   18
3   18   18   18   18   18   18   18
4   18   18   18   18   18   18   18
5   18   18   18   18   18   18   18
6   18   18   18   18   18   18   16
7   18   18   18   18   18   18   16
8   18   18   18   18   18   16   16
10   18   18   18   18   16   16   14
11   18   18   18   18   16   16   14
12   18   18   18   18   16   16   14
15   18   18   18   18   14   14   12
18   18   18   16   16   14   14   12
20   18   18   16   16   14   12   10
22   18   18   16   14   12   12   10
24   18   18   16   14   12   12   10
30   18   16   14   12   10   10   10
36   16   14   14   12   10   10   10
40   16   14   12   12   10   10   8
50   16   14   12   10   10   10   8
100   12   12   10   10   6   6   4
150   10   10   8   8   4   4   2
200   10   8   8   6   4   4   2

legendary
Activity: 1540
Huh? What's the problem with a single PCIE cable with two connectors?  The Thermaltake PSU ($35) I've been running rock solid  for two weeks now has one cable with two PCIE connectors.  Both the Thermaltake and the EVGA (Just ordered for $30 after rebate) have a single 42 and 40 amp +12V rail (respectively).  These may not be the best PSUs on the planet, but the Thermaltake seems to work just fine, and I expect the same from the EVGA PSU.  These PSUs were, after all, designed to run two video cards with potentially similar draws to the two S1 blades....My other PSU is a Corsair CX500, works just fine as well with two cables/PCIE connectors.

While the part in bold is true, they likely didn't intend for them to drive two video cards at full power 24x7, such as your ant is doing.

M

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

yeah, thats the issue. by running a full antminer on only a single wire lead (2 heads) you are putting 360W+ through only 3 wire pairs. Most 18awg wires cant handle this (so yours might be 16awg), and there are past reports of these sort of power connectors failing if overloaded.

If you go throught the bitfury threads, there are a lot of reports from users that used a similar PSU to run >400W to the bitfury board and ended up with small fires or melted wires.

just be mindful of the wire temperatures. If they get any warmer than 'warm' you start increasing the risk of it failing. higher temperatures can create higher resistance and increase the voltage drop, further increasing the amperage pulled by the hardware. If its just a very mild warmth then maybe putting a little airflow nearby will make sure it doesnt become a problem
Date stamp on my order details says 4-8-2014, not sure if that was my day or theirs, waiting to hear back on a shipping inquiry...
Activity: 98

OK...maybe this is a noob question, but i have been getting my PSUs from NewEgg as well (my all time favorite seller of computer parts and various electronic gizmos).  However, I've been buying name brand PSUs in the 500-550W range.  One Thermaltake for $34 after rebate, one Corsair for $30 after rebate and I'm about to buy an EVGA for $30 after rebate -- all with free shipping.  Link for EVGA PSU here:

They all have 3+ year warranties and the two I own seem to work just fine with the S1 (admittedly I have not yet overclocked the two I own so far)...why are you all buying the big power supplies to run multiple miners?  It seems to me if a big PSU does fail, you have multiple miners out of commission. Maybe I'm missing something?

How are you running an Ant on this PSU Huh It has only 1 PCIE cable with 2 connectors............you using a dual 4pin molex to 6pin PCIE adapter,or both blades on the one cable Huh  Not a good idea if you are  Roll Eyes

I prefer the Corsair CX600,it has 2 separate PCIE cables.So does the CX500  Wink 

I use 2 of those EVGA KR 500 with single 40A rail. Each one running like champs on each their own S1s to power. They are so inexpensive I just cut the CPU plug and spliced it into one of the S1 blade and used the PCI-E plug for the other blade. Running like great 2 months now. Also both S1 over clocked 375. no need to spend top dollar. EVGA make solid PS

Ok,very clever !!!  Wink 

Huh? What's the problem with a single PCIE cable with two connectors?  The Thermaltake PSU ($35) I've been running rock solid  for two weeks now has one cable with two PCIE connectors.  Both the Thermaltake and the EVGA (Just ordered for $30 after rebate) have a single 42 and 40 amp +12V rail (respectively).  These may not be the best PSUs on the planet, but the Thermaltake seems to work just fine, and I expect the same from the EVGA PSU.  These PSUs were, after all, designed to run two video cards with potentially similar draws to the two S1 blades....My other PSU is a Corsair CX500, works just fine as well with two cables/PCIE connectors.

legendary

OK...maybe this is a noob question, but i have been getting my PSUs from NewEgg as well (my all time favorite seller of computer parts and various electronic gizmos).  However, I've been buying name brand PSUs in the 500-550W range.  One Thermaltake for $34 after rebate, one Corsair for $30 after rebate and I'm about to buy an EVGA for $30 after rebate -- all with free shipping.  Link for EVGA PSU here:

They all have 3+ year warranties and the two I own seem to work just fine with the S1 (admittedly I have not yet overclocked the two I own so far)...why are you all buying the big power supplies to run multiple miners?  It seems to me if a big PSU does fail, you have multiple miners out of commission. Maybe I'm missing something?

How are you running an Ant on this PSU Huh It has only 1 PCIE cable with 2 connectors............you using a dual 4pin molex to 6pin PCIE adapter,or both blades on the one cable Huh  Not a good idea if you are  Roll Eyes

I prefer the Corsair CX600,it has 2 separate PCIE cables.So does the CX500  Wink 

Ok,very clever !!!  Wink 
Activity: 406

Activity: 252
S1 is out of stock currently , all orders placed on April 9th Beijing time will be shipped out as soon as possible. next batch of S1 will be in stock in two days.
Does that mean people who ordered on April 9th got in before the stock ran out?

Activity: 108
S1 is out of stock currently , all orders placed on April 9th Beijing time will be shipped out as soon as possible. next batch of S1 will be in stock in two days.
legendary
A note a very good psu is on sale for USA buyers.  the seasonic plat 760 watt can be had for 99 usd with a coupon and a code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151120

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/Seasonic17-151-120April9April1014HN82.pdf  rebate form

Promo Code: EXLEMC2254  35 usd off.

this psu will run 1.5 s-1's  on a 393 freq/195gh

so 2 of these   would run 3 machine s-1's with very low watts about  1150-1180  measured by a k watt meter

rebate is only good for 1 not 2 so if you want 2 you pay 99 for one and 119 for the other.  total of 218    and you get yourself a 1500 watt psu setup with a 7 year warranty.  

no 1200 watt plat can be had for 218 and no 1500 watt plat costs 299

This 1300 watt gold for $240 + shipping (free if you are premier) runs 3xS1s in OC mode w/ room to spare.  Less cables, one less power cord.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182063

M

A nice find. I wonder how much more power it spends. then the pair of seasonics do.  As it is a gold vs a plat.   it would be loaded to 1200/1300 vs 1150/1500

and it would not max your 15 amp circuit   15 x 120 = 1800 x 75 percent = 1296 watts   some say 80 percent of 1800 is acceptable  for constant run so that comes to 1440 watts.  I would still take the seasonics but your pick is nice.

Even if you do not file the rebate the seasonics come to 119 free ship  so 2 are 238 vs 240 + shipping

I'm using the Lightning 1300 here.  According to my Kill A Watt, 3 of them OCd pull 10.65 amps @ 114v using 1212 watts.

The 12V rail can feed 108A.  An OC'd Ant runs around 33-34A, so there's a little headroom.

M

legendary
Activity: 1540

There are a few reasons why I do it.

1 - fewer power supplies means less cables, less outlets, and more space for airflow to keep the Ants cool
2 - gold rated means more efficient.  with my electricity costs, running 3 OC'd Ants on one gold PS costs about $100 a month.  At 90% efficiency, about $10 goes to the power supply as heat, not doing anything for me.  At 80%, that's $20 a month down the drain.  That's $120 more a year, per set of 3 Ants.  Note that both efficiencies are rounded.  The rosewill 1300 I use is quoted as "of at least 87%".  The EVGA you list is quoted as "with up to 80% efficiency".
3 - I have large power supplies left from prior mining projects
4 - more expensive usually means higher quality.  My rosewill PS has a 7 year warranty on it.  I don't expect it to die anytime soon.  In the event it does, I have a spare one on standby. Smiley

M
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
S1 is out of stock currently , all orders placed on April 9th Beijing time will be shipped out as soon as possible.
next batch of S1 will be in stock in two days.
 Smiley Smiley

You guys and your re-sellers like NinjaTech (Jonathan is great) seem to be one of the only companies out there that consistently gets us miners and communicates with this forum; and on a regular bases. Thank you for that, the customer loyalty you are building will go a long ways in the future as Bitcoin grows. The fantastic customer service, website tracking and on time products you provided compared to scam companies like BFL will be remembered by this community for a very long time.

Thanks
Rob Cool

PS. Got my S1 ordered today at 6 am for 0.893 BTC before cut off. Yea buddy!!!
Pages:
Jump to: