Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 123. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Got my two s2's today. Both where fucked up inside, Cards everywhere, bent pci slots. Plastic thingy holding the cards had about 50% survival rate.
After assembling them back together one did not start and one worked at 650Ghs. After some hours of trying different things I got two new PSU's, XFX Black Edition 1250W and RECOM 1600W(Overkill but had it laying around) One are stable at 1Ths the other is working at 920ghs with row 10 showing only lines.

I feel the s2 is a step down from s1 when it comes to build quality and overall design.
Next time pack each cards individually with bubblewrap and stick them inside the miner. Shipping the miner with the cards already in their slot is borderline retarded. 
I had the same and found that the card that wasn't registering was missing one of the tiny resistors ("0") closest to the pci connection on the board. I replaced the resistor with some pencil and some silver conductive paint and it's working fine for a week now.
I got Satoshi's avatar!
please tell me how to post a screen shot i want to share something. i tried the prnt screen and paste but nothing happend 
Download MWSnap...
Activity: 700
Merit: 504
Run a Bitcoin node.
please tell me how to post a screen shot i want to share something. i tried the prnt screen and paste but nothing happend 
AFAIK all images must be hosted off-site on something like imgur or imageshack. Then you imbed the image in your post using the img and /img bbcodes (put square brackets around them).
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
i am not getting $31 a day, i am on btc guild, any suggestions
You can't really calculate in $ due to the price fluctuations... with 1TH/s, you should be making just under 0.08btc/day until the next diff change.

If you're new to BTC Guild, it'll take some time for your daily earnings to increase.

BTCG's luck (my luck?) has been horrendous lately. I finally had to take my hash to GHash.io. Don't worry though, now that I'm not at BTCG, the pool luck is guaranteed to instantly and dramatically improve. And if someone reading this is currently mining at GHash.io, it might be time for you to move to a different pool. I'm sure to ruin it for everyone.   Undecided

Still don't understand why people mine on either of those pools.  Eligius is fine minus a few stalled payout glitches.  Slush has been bulletproof as of late, and even Bitminter has been on an absolute TEAR recently.

Get off those bitcoin hazards!!!

anybody know about demon pool just got a random invite
Activity: 31
Merit: 0

if your using windows (or a mac) a great little program is Duck Link Screen Capture http://www.ducklink.com/

it just sits next to your clock on the windows task bar and when you roll over it gives you the screen capture options, it can do rolling screen shots, selected area etc. etc. and once captured you have the easy link to save the file of copy to the clipboard

I use it all the time Smiley much more versatile than Print Screen
Activity: 31
BFL Josh - Inaba reminded me that "we" do not say enough nice things about our experiences in the forums.

I LOVE my antMiner Products.

I own 12 S1's and an S2 -- ALL run to spec and S2 had minor issues upon arrival due to HOW FAST they ship. 3 DAYS! from China to Mid-west, USA unreal, what a world. BitmainTech does get busy, but their delivery rate and ON TIME performance suggests they are busy working to satisfy ME..  or yews..

BitmainTech is 100% miner friendly,

IMHO.. Wink

really? My S2 batch 2 S2 may as well have come flat packed with all the cards fallen over with bent pci slots as it was. I have since fixed all this, plus replaced all the fans (one fan was broken and couldn't get a matching one), all fans are now running a nice constant speed and are powered by a bitspower x-station fan control unit running off the factory power supply, i would have replaced the factory supply with something a bit bigger but one of the pins on my mainboard was badly damaged and the only pci-e 6 pin cable i can get to fit is the enermax one that came out of it. So i'm stuck with the underpowered power supply, which for the first few days kept turning itself off, the orientation of the psu is all wrong, the intake just sucks in warm air from the asic boards causing the psu to overheat, so have rotated the psu and cut a nice hold in the side of the case and added a fan grill and dust filter and it has not had power problems since. I had a problem with the sdcard corrupting itself and had to steal the sdcard out of my partners phone to fix it at 2am Sad still haven't replaced her music (sorry bub) now i keep a copy of the sdcard should it have problems again. thinking of making a hatch in the top of the unit so i can pop the sdcard out if i ever need to power down the unit as this would avoid corruption it seems and also wouldn't have to take the case off, maybe a hinged steel lid. The device reports an average hash rate of 1008GH/s but the pool speed actually reports between 800-900 overall not really impressed. I could have had a coincraft unit for less and had less problems. My next unit is a Spondoolies SP30 Smiley Sorry Bitmain i had such high hopes for the S2, but 10+ days late and broken has left me less than impressed
Activity: 42

With Win7/8 (maybe XP?), use the snipping tool that is built in.  Just search for snip and it should be the first thing. It's REALLY easy and you can select exactly what you want to screenshot. 

On a Mac,  Command + Shift + 4 to select a specific region-saves to desktop.
Activity: 379
BFL Josh - Inaba reminded me that "we" do not say enough nice things about our experiences in the forums.

I LOVE my antMiner Products.

I own 12 S1's and an S2 -- ALL run to spec and S2 had minor issues upon arrival due to HOW FAST they ship. 3 DAYS! from China to Mid-west, USA unreal, what a world. BitmainTech does get busy, but their delivery rate and ON TIME performance suggests they are busy working to satisfy ME..  or yews..

BitmainTech is 100% miner friendly,

IMHO.. Wink
Activity: 672
Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies
My Batch 3 is on it's way.

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 04/29/2014, By End of Day
Last Location:
Departed - Anchorage, AK, United States, Monday, 04/28/2014

Anchorage is too far so it might not deliver tomorrow. Hope it gets here in 1 to 10 pieces and not like other people's miners. I'll report back if they have learnt something from high number of UPS claims.
Where are you that Anchorage is too far?  Packages from Bitmain arrive in Anchorage, get shipped to California or Kentucky for customs clearance, get shipped back to Anchorage, put on another plane down to a town near me and are delivered by the end of the day.  If you're in the US and they're in Anchorage you'll get them tomorrow.
Activity: 1249
Merit: 506
ctrl+print screen = copies your whole screen to the clipboard

crtl+alt+print screen = copies only the active window to the clipboard
Activity: 252
Activity: 308
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.
My Batch 3 is on it's way.

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 04/29/2014, By End of Day
Last Location:
Departed - Anchorage, AK, United States, Monday, 04/28/2014

Anchorage is too far so it might not deliver tomorrow. Hope it gets here in 1 to 10 pieces and not like other people's miners. I'll report back if they have learnt something from high number of UPS claims.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
Got my two s2's today. Both where fucked up inside, Cards everywhere, bent pci slots. Plastic thingy holding the cards had about 50% survival rate.
After assembling them back together one did not start and one worked at 650Ghs. After some hours of trying different things I got two new PSU's, XFX Black Edition 1250W and RECOM 1600W(Overkill but had it laying around) One are stable at 1Ths the other is working at 920ghs with row 10 showing only lines.

I feel the s2 is a step down from s1 when it comes to build quality and overall design.
Next time pack each cards individually with bubblewrap and stick them inside the miner. Shipping the miner with the cards already in their slot is borderline retarded. 

mine arrived fine, and had rubber strips in the lid designed to keep the cards tight in the slots. The damaged units must be going through some rough handling - maybe a 'this side up' is necessary?

Both had rubber strips under the lid, the idea is good but it did not hold.
Activity: 700
Merit: 504
Run a Bitcoin node.

mine arrived fine, and had rubber strips in the lid designed to keep the cards tight in the slots. The damaged units must be going through some rough handling - maybe a 'this side up' is necessary?
Ditto. Maybe I got lucky... my batch 2 S2 arrived in perfect condition.
Activity: 406
Shipping the miner with the cards already in their slot is borderline retarded. 

AGREED  Huh
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
going from 55nm to 28nm would improve efficiency by about 4x at chip level (perhaps more if they revise the design at all). The overall efficiency might increase by 3.5x to account for the power use of everything else in the BOM and the control modules

and you have to get over the idea that the S2 is 'too big'. The S1 cost 4.75BTC at first, now its about 15% of that price. The S2 is due for a pricedrop to a more realistic ~5BTC very soon if it want to stay relevant. This will drop to 3.5BTC after a month.

The biggest advantage in the S2 is some clear design improvements. these include: space for ATX psu, rack-mounting, denser chip arrangement, and 140mm fans (these are VERY good fans, more airflow than from the S1 fan but less RPM and noise)

If they come out with a new chip, I expect they will maintain the S2 profile, but pack in 4-5TH of chips.

re OP on "too big". S2 is overpriced for its power and hashing at ~$3.2/GH with S1 currently at $1.4/GH. S2 has problems of boards falling off the rails during transport (or was it fixed already?). I don't want an expensive unit where reliability might be a problem (with flash cards on restarts, etc.). Modularity is very important, I agree with OP.

the price/GH is definitely a bit off in the S2. (keep in mind though that it uses 10x the chips as an S1, which is *almost* logical if the chips are the biggest cost). IMO it should be 5BTC right now at most, if not 4.5BTC.

my unit is a batch 2 and i had no issues in shipment or in usage. (~980-990GH stock was a smidge low of the 1TH). the rails that hold the modules are fine on mine and do the job well enough that i really wonder what went wrong with the damaged units some people received. they are small plastic slides on a metal brace, all of which seems firmly put together in my box. The PSU was new 1000W enermax GOLD, or looked like new. I have not had issues with the SD card on reboots or power cycles, but my bitfury unit used to so i am not surprised that the some of the S2 sd cards have corrupted when using cheap cards.

The S2 is rack-mountable. the hashing boards are removable (if swapping them is ever needed). I would say that is important compared to the havoc of dealing with over a dozen S1 units and their seperate power supplies and difficulty stacking. 1!1!1!1 would testify to this - all you need to do is see the difference in his racks for S1 units and S2 units. one rack is clean and gorgeous, the other is a hodgepodge of zipties, server PSUs, and power/ethernet cables.

You are probably right for a large operation, but for a home use few s1 are manageable. If S2 was $1800-2000, I would probably buy it instead.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
going from 55nm to 28nm would improve efficiency by about 4x at chip level (perhaps more if they revise the design at all). The overall efficiency might increase by 3.5x to account for the power use of everything else in the BOM and the control modules

and you have to get over the idea that the S2 is 'too big'. The S1 cost 4.75BTC at first, now its about 15% of that price. The S2 is due for a pricedrop to a more realistic ~5BTC very soon if it want to stay relevant. This will drop to 3.5BTC after a month.

The biggest advantage in the S2 is some clear design improvements. these include: space for ATX psu, rack-mounting, denser chip arrangement, and 140mm fans (these are VERY good fans, more airflow than from the S1 fan but less RPM and noise)

If they come out with a new chip, I expect they will maintain the S2 profile, but pack in 4-5TH of chips.

re OP on "too big". S2 is overpriced for its power and hashing at ~$3.2/GH with S1 currently at $1.4/GH. S2 has problems of boards falling off the rails during transport (or was it fixed already?). I don't want an expensive unit where reliability might be a problem (with flash cards on restarts, etc.). Modularity is very important, I agree with OP.

the price/GH is definitely a bit off in the S2. (keep in mind though that it uses 10x the chips as an S1, which is *almost* logical if the chips are the biggest cost). IMO it should be 5BTC right now at most, if not 4.5BTC.

my unit is a batch 2 and i had no issues in shipment or in usage. (~980-990GH stock was a smidge low of the 1TH). the rails that hold the modules are fine on mine and do the job well enough that i really wonder what went wrong with the damaged units some people received. they are small plastic slides on a metal brace, all of which seems firmly put together in my box. The PSU was new 1000W enermax GOLD, or looked like new. I have not had issues with the SD card on reboots or power cycles, but my bitfury unit used to so i am not surprised that the some of the S2 sd cards have corrupted when using cheap cards.

The S2 is rack-mountable. the hashing boards are removable (if swapping them is ever needed). I would say that is important compared to the havoc of dealing with over a dozen S1 units and their seperate power supplies and difficulty stacking. 1!1!1!1 would testify to this - all you need to do is see the difference in his racks for S1 units and S2 units. one rack is clean and gorgeous, the other is a hodgepodge of zipties, server PSUs, and power/ethernet cables.
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Too big? The S2 is a lot smaller than 5-6 S1's and takes up a lot less space (power supply is integrated) and uses more or less half the power and I'm sure it's a lot quieter too... you can't just compare $/GH/s, what about W/GH/s?

I'm not completely satisfied with my b2 unit, but it'll do (I didn't get into mining to get rich, thankfully), I hope they fix the packaging issues for b3, I totally agree with you there.
Jump to: