Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 124. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
how to understand the column HW in web of antminer S2?
it  is too high
HW Error Calculation Formula: HW / (diffA + diffR + HW) * 100
it is in % of accepted?
so with 212.5 Mhz i have 0.001% or 0.1% or...?
Should it not technically be: HW / (diffA + diffR + diffS +HW) * 100 ?

and it would be in a % of total work, not only accepted.
No idea mate, just going by what the authors of cgminer have posted. diffS is always zero on mine anyway.
diffS shows up at times, but it should be included for accuracy if it's there as there would have been work done on those stale shares which could have potentially caused errors.

@ aistto: WU: The Work Utility defined as the number of diff1 shares work / minute (accepted or rejected)
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Does anybody think that S2 is an intermediate product before Bitmain releases S3=S1 form factor with a different chip (40nm or 28nm)?
Can S1 form factor even work with 40nm or 28nm chip? I imagine that it could, perhaps with two fans (push-pull)?
I would be thrilled to have the S1 equivalent form factor, hashing at 400-500GH/s.
It would be a huge blockbuster if it will be as reliable as S1 has been (at least in most cases).

The thing is, a simple die shrink wouldn't help efficiency THAT much I don't think, they would nee to do a bit of redesign as well in order to get better efficiency, though a die shrink would help.  They would need to go from 55nm to 20nm to stay competitive or give miners a huge incentive to buy within the next 6 months.

That said, I firmly believe that the S1 form factor is extremely important if BTC is going to succeed. The problem with having all these GIANT units is that they will only be held by small amounts of folks.  I can convince friends and family and other people interested in mining to pick up an Antminer S1 at these current prices very easily, so in that sense, its awesome.  However, the problem with these more efficient big boys is that they cost thousands of dollars.

If Bitmaintech could release a 20nm Antminer S10, or something like that, that was basically a 500 GH.S 20/28nm version with some efficiency and UI upgrades, and sell it for say, 2 btc, I think a lot of people would hop on board, and they could churn these out for at least 6-8 months.

going from 55nm to 28nm would improve efficiency by about 4x at chip level (perhaps more if they revise the design at all). The overall efficiency might increase by 3.5x to account for the power use of everything else in the BOM and the control modules

and you have to get over the idea that the S2 is 'too big'. The S1 cost 4.75BTC at first, now its about 15% of that price. The S2 is due for a pricedrop to a more realistic ~5BTC very soon if it want to stay relevant. This will drop to 3.5BTC after a month.

The biggest advantage in the S2 is some clear design improvements. these include: space for ATX psu, rack-mounting, denser chip arrangement, and 140mm fans (these are VERY good fans, more airflow than from the S1 fan but less RPM and noise)

If they come out with a new chip, I expect they will maintain the S2 profile, but pack in 4-5TH of chips.

re OP on "too big". S2 is overpriced for its power and hashing at ~$3.2/GH with S1 currently at $1.4/GH. S2 has problems of boards falling off the rails during transport (or was it fixed already?). I don't want an expensive unit where reliability might be a problem (with flash cards on restarts, etc.). Modularity is very important, I agree with OP.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
it  is too high
it is in % of accepted?
Yes thats a % calculation should be less than 1% normally at 180Mhz
If you run higher than 180Mhz then you will get higher HW errors and have just invalidated your warranty.
The stock speed is 196Mhz for ~990GH.
I am running at 218.75MHz for the past 49hours:     1085GH at pool, 1115GH at webUI, 2.02% hw errors       (probably drawing ~1250w from the PSU)

temps range from 48C-55C, fans range from 2400-2520

Yes my bad, thought I was in the S1 forum Smiley
legendary
it  is too high

it is in % of accepted?

No idea mate, just going by what the authors of cgminer have posted. diffS is always zero on mine anyway.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
it  is too high
it is in % of accepted?
If you run higher than 180Mhz then you will get higher HW errors and have just invalidated your warranty.
The stock speed is 196Mhz for ~990GH.
I am running at 218.75MHz for the past 49hours:     1085GH at pool, 1115GH at webUI, 2.02% hw errors       (probably drawing ~1250w from the PSU)

temps range from 48C-55C, fans range from 2400-2520
legendary
Activity: 2128
ASIC Wannabe
Does anybody think that S2 is an intermediate product before Bitmain releases S3=S1 form factor with a different chip (40nm or 28nm)?
Can S1 form factor even work with 40nm or 28nm chip? I imagine that it could, perhaps with two fans (push-pull)?
I would be thrilled to have the S1 equivalent form factor, hashing at 400-500GH/s.
It would be a huge blockbuster if it will be as reliable as S1 has been (at least in most cases).
The thing is, a simple die shrink wouldn't help efficiency THAT much I don't think, they would nee to do a bit of redesign as well in order to get better efficiency, though a die shrink would help.  They would need to go from 55nm to 20nm to stay competitive or give miners a huge incentive to buy within the next 6 months.

That said, I firmly believe that the S1 form factor is extremely important if BTC is going to succeed. The problem with having all these GIANT units is that they will only be held by small amounts of folks.  I can convince friends and family and other people interested in mining to pick up an Antminer S1 at these current prices very easily, so in that sense, its awesome.  However, the problem with these more efficient big boys is that they cost thousands of dollars.

If Bitmaintech could release a 20nm Antminer S10, or something like that, that was basically a 500 GH.S 20/28nm version with some efficiency and UI upgrades, and sell it for say, 2 btc, I think a lot of people would hop on board, and they could churn these out for at least 6-8 months.

going from 55nm to 28nm would improve efficiency by about 4x at chip level (perhaps more if they revise the design at all). The overall efficiency might increase by 3.5x to account for the power use of everything else in the BOM and the control modules

and you have to get over the idea that the S2 is 'too big'. The S1 cost 4.75BTC at first, now its about 15% of that price. The S2 is due for a pricedrop to a more realistic ~5BTC very soon if it want to stay relevant. This will drop to 3.5BTC after a month.

The biggest advantage in the S2 is some clear design improvements. these include: space for ATX psu, rack-mounting, denser chip arrangement, and 140mm fans (these are VERY good fans, more airflow than from the S1 fan but less RPM and noise)

If they come out with a new chip, I expect they will maintain the S2 profile, but pack in 4-5TH of chips.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 728
Where have you seen all this info?

Do I miss anything new?
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

I got Satoshi's avatar!
it  is too high

it is in % of accepted?

legendary
Activity: 1001
it  is too high

it is in % of accepted?

thanks!
so diffA, diffR it is accepted and rejected?
why there is no diffHW?
could you tell me what is utility?
legendary
Did it improve something for the S1?
Slightly, they seemed more stable after the firmware and cgminer update.
more stable?  they are the most stable miners out there.  as long as power doesnt go out my S1 miners never go down or have problems.  running 24/7
I guess it also depends on when you bought them... I bought in January in GB6 from Sushi (3btc ea. Shocked) and then from the first batch on the bitmaintech.com website and in the beginning they weren't quite as rock-solid as they are now... I guess.

Later ones come with newer firmware.
legendary
it  is too high

it is in % of accepted?

If you run higher than 196Mhz then you will get higher HW errors and have just invalidated your warranty.
I got Satoshi's avatar!
more stable?  they are the most stable miners out there.  as long as power doesnt go out my S1 miners never go down or have problems.  running 24/7
I guess it also depends on when you bought them... I bought in January in GB6 from Sushi (3btc ea. Shocked) and then from the first batch on the bitmaintech.com website and in the beginning they weren't quite as rock-solid as they are now... I guess.
legendary
it  is too high

it is in % of accepted?
legendary
it  is too high

legendary
it  is too high
Activity: 630
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
i am not getting $31 a day, i am on btc guild, any suggestions
You can't really calculate in $ due to the price fluctuations... with 1TH/s, you should be making just under 0.08btc/day until the next diff change.

If you're new to BTC Guild, it'll take some time for your daily earnings to increase.

what is some time why?? day 3 and only at .04 a day but averaging 1.01 th/s a day
i dont get it
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Jump to: