Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 139. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
S1 is a dead product already.
Sorry , but with 2.1w/Ghs is a lost case.
I wonder who buys it today.

I would not go with S2 either.

I would buy an A1 clone for much, much , much less.

Cool

I'd buy more for the right price. The w/Ghs vs $/Ghs varies from person to person due to specific environmental factors (temp, kwh price, etc.). Here in TX I pay .09/KWh so 2.1w/Ghs isn't that scary. Especially since you can undervolt to something more reasonable. But if I were in California (i'm from Cali but don't live there now), it would be a TOTALLY different story (up to .32/Kwh in Cali).

So if you have any S1 miners you wanna sell because your power is too expensive Pm me! Because mine aint.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Come back from easter break to find one machine completely unresponsive. I've isolated the PSU, given it an hour or so with no power, checked the paper clip short, still no luck. I seem to remember someone saying to drain the PSU you short the two power pins out, still nothing.

I have a Corsair CX750M and a FSP 750 Gold, can I just plug these into the PCI-e power sockets and combine them or does it just not work that way?

Another machine was running at 50% hashing with lots of x hardware errors but a shutdown has that back up and running stable.

Still waiting to hear positive confirmation from the Bitmain engineer/s regarding 2x 700-750w PSUs.

Best to use too identical PSUs if you are going to try as they you DO NOT WANT one PSU to become a current SINK of the other PSU due to lower reference point....IE lower ground.

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
S1 is a dead product already.
Sorry , but with 2.1w/Ghs is a lost case.
I wonder who buys it today.

I would not go with S2 either.

I would buy an A1 clone for much, much , much less.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Bitmain is the only choice for Bitcoin Mining

Why do I say this?

I have purchased 267 Antminer S1's. Out of 267 S1's I have had 1 problem unit. One unit with a dead ASIC blade. That's it, 99.8% success rate. That's unbelievable. They just keep running, and running smoothly.

I have purchased 27 Antminer S2's . Out of those 27 S2's I have 1 blade that only half worked (From batch 1. The heatsink had a burr on it that cut into the board and shorted out half the blade). I also had 1 power supply that melted as the cables weren't connected tight at factory. While batch 1 had a good amount of extremely irritating issues, batch 2 was much better and batch 3 was nearly flawless (A few loose internal cables). I have been in contact with Bitmain concerning all the issues and they are indeed working to correct where they have come up short.

I have no doubt the S2 will soon be just as rock solid as the S1, and as you can see form above, the S1 is gold standard in ASIC hardware.

That is crazy. Are you still mining with all 77TH? Do you personally own all 77TH or is this hardware shared as part of a mining group?

I have 20 S1s mining right now, and all work flawlessly, so I hope Bitmain addresses the S2 quality issues and offers a new competitively priced batch of S2s soon.

Bitmain not only offers a great product at a fair price, but they are also putting an end to a lot of the shenanigans pulled by other hardware manufactures by forcing them to alter behavior in order to stay competitive.

Just say no to pre-orders!  Smiley

Mining on most of it. Bought some for family/friends

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1487GbVKfL1Yq1N9ih6v58QWvsmwpNcBvg

Activity: 635
Guys!

I have only one question for all. English is not my first language but hope you'll understand.

The question is simple.

At the last few months, what kind of asic hardware could you buy off the self?

Other one.

How would you mine without Ants these days to see some profit in BTC?
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥

Bitmain not only offers a great product at a fair price, but they are also putting an end to a lot of the shenanigans pulled by other hardware manufactures by forcing them to alter behavior in order to stay competitive.

Just say no to pre-orders!  Smiley

That pretty much sums it up right there.  Quality control issues with the S2 and general communication issues aside, they're the only miner manufacturer that ships from stock at a decent price.

They changed how us, as customers, view all companies.  If they don't ship within days and the price doesn't lower with the current BTC price, we immediately get turned off.

The 5 or 6 month waiting period or longer is no longer acceptable as industry norm.

Now if they could have S2's in stock and lower the S2 price like they do the S1 price.   Tongue
Activity: 742

Why do I say this?

I have purchased 267 Antminer S1's. Out of 267 S1's I have had 1 problem unit. One unit with a dead ASIC blade. That's it, 99.8% success rate. That's unbelievable. They just keep running, and running smoothly.

I have purchased 27 Antminer S2's . Out of those 27 S2's I have 1 blade that only half worked (From batch 1. The heatsink had a burr on it that cut into the board and shorted out half the blade). I also had 1 power supply that melted as the cables weren't connected tight at factory. While batch 1 had a good amount of extremely irritating issues, batch 2 was much better and batch 3 was nearly flawless (A few loose internal cables). I have been in contact with Bitmain concerning all the issues and they are indeed working to correct where they have come up short.

I have no doubt the S2 will soon be just as rock solid as the S1, and as you can see form above, the S1 is gold standard in ASIC hardware.

That is crazy. Are you still mining with all 77TH? Do you personally own all 77TH or is this hardware shared as part of a mining group?

I have 20 S1s mining right now, and all work flawlessly, so I hope Bitmain addresses the S2 quality issues and offers a new competitively priced batch of S2s soon.

Just say no to pre-orders!  Smiley
legendary

How in the world did you get Batch 3 when they haven't released it yet?

It was more like a batch 2B but people are referring to it as Batch 3.

correct.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Are you telling me, hes a failed arm chair engineer?

Shocked

LOL the dude claimed to be a computer engineer and criticized Spondoolies's strategy,

He claims to be a C.Eng of like 35 years, or is 25?  Either way, just read his posts, nuff said.
Activity: 47

It was more like a batch 2B but people are referring to it as Batch 3.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.

Why do I say this?

Activity: 280
I'm just getting tired of refreshing their website whenever I can several times a day. I know B3 will last 5 minutes and I will miss out.

I'm certain it will last more than 5 minutes unless they are charging like 4 BTC for it.

The thing is, I don't really care about Bitcoin/USD price.  I got my S2 for 5.5 BTC, so they would have to price it at $2750 or less for it to be as attractive as when I purchased it.  I probably wouldn't purchase it for anything over $2500 though.  Especially since 5 S1's would run about $1800-2000 after a couple coupons and $2100 without.

Not to mention S1's JUST WORK.  No bullshit.

Edit: DON'T really care about etc etc.... lol
legendary

Why do I say this?

Activity: 658
Come back from easter break to find one machine completely unresponsive. I've isolated the PSU, given it an hour or so with no power, checked the paper clip short, still no luck. I seem to remember someone saying to drain the PSU you short the two power pins out, still nothing.

I have a Corsair CX750M and a FSP 750 Gold, can I just plug these into the PCI-e power sockets and combine them or does it just not work that way?

Another machine was running at 50% hashing with lots of x hardware errors but a shutdown has that back up and running stable.

Still waiting to hear positive confirmation from the Bitmain engineer/s regarding 2x 700-750w PSUs.

2 x 650/750W server style PSU should be ideal...even redundant...and cheaper too...IMHO...

But this is their product/design...

Its not redundant unless the device can run with one PSU working. That would be 2x 1000W+

Are you telling me, hes a failed arm chair engineer?

Shocked

LOL the dude claimed to be a computer engineer and criticized Spondoolies's strategy,
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

2 x 650/750W server style PSU should be ideal...even redundant...and cheaper too...IMHO...

Its not redundant unless the device can run with one PSU working. That would be 2x 1000W+

ZiG
Activity: 406

legendary
After having no setup issues and running great for the last couple of weeks, I woke up this morning to find my batch 1 AntMiner S2 not hashing, fans going full speed, panel dim and the red light solid. Recalling that others here have had the same issue, I went back and skimmed over the previous posts and found that the likely issue was probably a corrupt SD card. That was indeed the case, as I am now back up and running, and I figure the problem started when a brief power outage occurred here this morning. Thought I would briefly summarize what I did to recover, which may be of special interest to those folks using a Mac to write to their SD cards:

- ran to the store and bought a 4gb Sandisk microSD card. They didn't have any class 10 cards, only class 4, but it seems to work (ordered a couple class 10s from Amazon for backup).
- Downloaded onto my MacBook the latest firmware from the bitmaintech website, as well as the SD card image from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16075357/bitmain.img.zip (thanks 1l1l11ll1l)
- put the new microSD card in the adapter, shoved it into my MacBook, read through the guide at http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup, and then ran these commands in Terminal:
   cd Desktop (my bitmain.img was on the desktop)
   diskutil list (to find the disk name of SD card, mine was disk2, so replace disk2 below with what yours is)
   diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
   sudo dd bs=1m if=bitmain.img of=/dev/disk2 (this took 30 minutes to complete)
- once SD card was ready, I opened up the AntMiner, pulled out the BeagleBone card, swapped SD cards and reassembled
- powered up, and it started hashing again. Connected to the miner from the browser, uploaded the latest firmware, changed to point to my pool, and everything was golden.

Much thanks to all of previous posters that talked about this issue, as your help got me back up in hours as opposed to days.

Glad to help!
Activity: 30

Activity: 30
Hi,

Is anyone having issues accessing S2 units through a VPN?

I have two installations behind two different VPNs and cannot access any S2. Other machines behind the VPN are accessible and the machines are accessible when I am directly connected to the network. These are batch 1 and batch 2 machines.

Cheers

I have NO issues accessing my batch 2's thru the VPN.

Thanks, now I know it's something I can try to rectify, appreciate it.

Cheers
Activity: 379
Hi,

Is anyone having issues accessing S2 units through a VPN?

I have two installations behind two different VPNs and cannot access any S2. Other machines behind the VPN are accessible and the machines are accessible when I am directly connected to the network. These are batch 1 and batch 2 machines.

Cheers

I have NO issues accessing my batch 2's thru the VPN.
Jump to: