Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 140. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
My recommendation.. DON'T power off your miner once it's running.
Damn thing gives you headaches to get it working again once powered off.
This is mainly because all transistors need to be clear of any power that's left through the system.
Even my platimax PSU had issues it needed clearing of the remaining power left in the capacitors  to get it working again.
It's really a shame they designed the power in such way and not connect the power to the board directly so the board would regulate the power and capacitors.
It cost me another hour to get things working again only to find the miner turn off again, so swapping modules around again to get things working.
With this I need to wait and wait for all power to drain from the power from the machine and try again  Cry
This happened when I tried to tune the miner with frequency setting 250, so my guess is tuning this system will only take more of your mining time then you want.

that would not be a good idea - PSU manufacturers have decades of experience in designing high-efficiency components. if bitmain atempted its own 120/12V regulators it would almost certianly result in efficiency well under 80% (try 60-70%)
Activity: 23
Merit: 10
My recommendation.. DON'T power off your miner once it's running.
Damn thing gives you headaches to get it working again once powered off.
This is mainly because all transistors need to be clear of any power that's left through the system.
Even my platimax PSU had issues it needed clearing of the remaining power left in the capacitors  to get it working again.
It's really a shame they designed the power in such way and not connect the power to the board directly so the board would regulate the power and capacitors.
It cost me another hour to get things working again only to find the miner turn off again, so swapping modules around again to get things working.
With this I need to wait and wait for all power to drain from the power from the machine and try again  Cry
This happened when I tried to tune the miner with frequency setting 250, so my guess is tuning this system will only take more of your mining time then you want.
Activity: 635
Merit: 500
trabant

Trabant? Really?

What about Wartburg?  Grin
Both good posts, and i appreciate the info regarding other suppliers/manufacturers.

S1's are ok, if a bit variable - i have 3-4 different modles and they all behave ever so slightly differently.

now my S2 is running i really like it. Bitmain has claimed he will send a replacement PSU tomorrow 'powerful enough for an S2'

but in all frankness, NONE of these rigs are going to make anyone 'much' of a profit, even if they DO ship from stock immediately.

those days are gone, and the very few who did well back then must be in hysterics watching us muppets chasing chump change.

let us not all devour each other & hope for the best.

I remain on the fence wrt spondoolies, with much interest - but who wouldn't love 5TH right now??

10TH today are needed for 'just' 1BTC per day...

August is a couple of lifetimes away wrt looming difficulty & my breakers are almost fkn glowing!

i'm shifting everything from the office room into my old man's garage today, i guess part of the fun is drilling holes in walls, setting up rig space and configuring stuff, but we all know that mining has moved to a different fork (see what I did there?) altogether now but I don't mind staying part of the game... i rant on about it being just a hobby but when these rigs are draining way to much power than is feasible in a short term environment, i know it's time to switch off. i've a box-full of 130nm that i intend to keep, just to heat different parts of my home in the winter-time - gets bloody cold here. good thing is my mum has now caught the bug and wants to start mining (we did a 3-way split on a babyjet+upgrade last year - still to be delivered/refunded/acknowledgement that we even exist), so while i'm moving stuff today, i'll probably get her to click my referral links and bump up the TH/s's  Grin what the heck - i'll pay her my referral fees to cover her first few month electric. If i can get my dad interested, we could just fill the garage with rigging (ahem- from a range of hardware manufacturers)

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

Are you in Balkans somewhere?

In Europe.  Wink

You have to know DACIA too then.

Wink

Yeah sure!  Wink
Activity: 728
Both good posts, and i appreciate the info regarding other suppliers/manufacturers.

S1's are ok, if a bit variable - i have 3-4 different modles and they all behave ever so slightly differently.

now my S2 is running i really like it. Bitmain has claimed he will send a replacement PSU tomorrow 'powerful enough for an S2'

but in all frankness, NONE of these rigs are going to make anyone 'much' of a profit, even if they DO ship from stock immediately.

those days are gone, and the very few who did well back then must be in hysterics watching us muppets chasing chump change.

I remain on the fence wrt spondoolies, with much interest - but who wouldn't love 5TH right now??

August is a couple of lifetimes away wrt looming difficulty & my breakers are almost fkn glowing!

i'm shifting everything from the office room into my old man's garage today, i guess part of the fun is drilling holes in walls, setting up rig space and configuring stuff, but we all know that mining has moved to a different fork (see what I did there?) altogether now but I don't mind staying part of the game... i rant on about it being just a hobby but when these rigs are draining way to much power than is feasible in a short term environment, i know it's time to switch off. i've a box-full of 130nm that i intend to keep, just to heat different parts of my home in the winter-time - gets bloody cold here. good thing is my mum has now caught the bug and wants to start mining (we did a 3-way split on a babyjet+upgrade last year - still to be delivered/refunded/acknowledgement that we even exist), so while i'm moving stuff today, i'll probably get her to click my referral links and bump up the TH/s's  Grin what the heck - i'll pay her my referral fees to cover her first few month electric. If i can get my dad interested, we could just fill the garage with rigging (ahem- from a range of hardware manufacturers)

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

In Europe.  Wink

You have to know DACIA too then.

Wink

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

In Europe.  Wink
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
* * *UK Customs charge = £145 * * * (Cheaper than expected)

1. Unpacked my S2, removed cover, reseated all cards most of which had disengaged from there ports.

2. Using my own power cable plugged unit in.

3. Connected unit to router.

4. Powered unit on.

5. No display showing.

6. Checked ribbon cable, main control card loose still. Reseated.

7. Switched unit back on.

8. Display now shows current IP address e.c.t

9. Configured miner pools as required.

10. All Ok.

11. 4 days later, temp never exceeded 51 degrees.
     4 day average @ 1030GH/S

Total setup time: 30 minutes.
Downtime in 96 hours: 0 minutes.

So all good in my S2 experience so far!

My PSU is pulling around 920Watts from the wall.

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001
labeled for shipping on the 10th but didnt actually begin shipping until the 13th, arrived on the 17th & took just over a day to sort out the few issues.

over-priced & poor logistics & dying/dead PSU & dodgy internal ether 'pigtail' all add up to yet another sub-par delivery that could easily have shipped from stock and there was NO NEED for claiming it would ship by the 10th other than to justify the price tag.

Especially when there is already a 3rd incarnation of the rig (with the PSU inlet facing the outside with a nice big hole in the side) unlike mine which has the PSU hanging out the arse like a grotty hemorrhoid.

Still wondering why i can only access certain areas of the GUI while mining.... Miner Config & Miner Status remain unattainable.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Hi,

Is anyone having issues accessing S2 units through a VPN?

I have two installations behind two different VPNs and cannot access any S2. Other machines behind the VPN are accessible and the machines are accessible when I am directly connected to the network. These are batch 1 and batch 2 machines.

Cheers
Activity: 728

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
For what it´s worth, you can get 1th bitmine clones delivered within 3 days for 2400 to 2500, same power efficiency as S2.

Did you guys receive them just now? "shipping before 10th April...."?

If so, the pricetag wasn´t justified at all....

Mine sort-of "shipped" on the 10th and I received it on the 15th. It was hashing within an hour.

BTW, the pricetag in BTC depended a lot on when you ordered it, because the BTC exchange rate was dropping pretty fast during the sales period and the sales price was fixed in dollars. I ordered early and paid 5.6 BTC. Later orders paid a lot more.

Activity: 714
For what it´s worth, you can get 1th bitmine clones delivered within 3 days for 2400 to 2500, same power efficiency as S2.

Did you guys receive them just now? "shipping before 10th April...."?

If so, the pricetag wasn´t justified at all....
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
as I said before (without any ulterior motive) i was pleased when you managed to get hashing with your S2.

I got hashing (right at 1.0 TH) with the complex and time consuming process of plugging it and and entering the pool configuration.

There are definitely some design problems here, and I've said so on this thread, but at the same time, I think you have a lot of squeaky wheels, and some unknown, but I suspect quite large, number of people who perfectly satisfied with the product and therefore relatively silent.
raskul bruv, i think your mixing up posts.

quite obviously they havent gone 'tits up' just yet.

like i said, i am genuinely interested in spondoolie rigs but you must be aware of peoples concerns especially wrt company accountability and the immense amount of difficulty increases already upon us.

and i really enjoyed my lada back in the day.

it was bought from stock with no pre-order bullshit , no excuses and legal immunity for the seller if it arrived late/never or blew up etc.

you seem a sensible chap, how about a bit of balance?

sorry, i'll do my best mate, but... aye you are probably right, thing is, i do get concerned about folks getting 3rd rate equipment and as I said before (without any ulterior motive) i was pleased when you managed to get hashing with your S2. I admit, perhaps i've been a bit gung ho in showing off my new rig and i'll stop now. I do, for assurance sake, however, buy my mining gear from as much of a spread of manufacturers as I can, although my old 130nm stuff is now switched off and in a box, i still run my BFL pair and my Block Erupter cubes... so i'm not exclusive to one company. I like to look at my rig and see a mix-mash of different bits, it's all part of the fun, right?

And I bought Skoda, so i suppose i've got no place to take the piss.  Cheesy
sorry if my post seemed untoward, i'll chill. peace.

ADD: to keep on topic, i still rate the S1's - although i don't have one, i have a mate who does and from what i seen, was quite impressed.
have this company gone tits-up yet?

You're better than this!  Trying to get more people into your group buy perhaps?  Cheesy

I'm somewhat stunned by this also.

while i am genuinely interested in the spondoolie rigs, the marketing strategies are quite unsettling.

it was a legitimate question!!!???
and since when was I on the payroll for spondoolies? fuck sake you lot really are hard at it with the conspiracy theories.
here's what I see,,, a shit load of rigs that don't work properly. I remember a company called Lada that used to make cars...

nevermind.

Lada is still tthe best to have fun on gravel. Smiley

You're better than this!  Trying to get more people into your group buy perhaps?  Cheesy

I'm somewhat stunned by this also.

while i am genuinely interested in the spondoolie rigs, the marketing strategies are quite unsettling.

it was a legitimate question!!!???
and since when was I on the payroll for spondoolies? fuck sake you lot really are hard at it with the conspiracy theories.
here's what I see,,, a shit load of rigs that don't work properly. I remember a company called Lada that used to make cars...

nevermind.

ADD: I think you'll find I run enough businesses to be bothered about marketing ASICS;

www.rgspix.com
www.stockpix.org
www.stockpix.eu
www.thescribe.eu

and I also work in a local care home as activities co-ordinator.
i'm just a forum member like the rest of you!

ADD2: the link in my sig is not for the GB being ran by roadstress, it's just an affiliate link that any customer of theirs can request.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!

You're better than this!  Trying to get more people into your group buy perhaps?  Cheesy
Jump to: