Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 137. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
IMO the price should be betwwen 2200$ and 2400$. Others like bit-tech or the dragon miners are selling for far less than 3199$.

I am "lucky" that my miners are working fine, problem with just one having my fans running at 100% all the time. Still didnt find any solution on how to control those god damn fans. So fans are still running, 3 of them are monitored in the antminer webinterface and with the first one it is showing 0 rpm ( but still running at 100% ).  It is so loud, and bitmain replied to me that it is not possible to adjust fan control manually. So disapointing.

I hope someone can find a way to acces the miners configuration file, I really need to reset / control the fan settings with SSH or something like that. I tried everything I could in order to have my fan control working good.

I agree, Bitmain seems to REALLY be milking the S2 … That or they are trying not to piss off batch 1 or batch 2 customers...

Batch 1 and 2 owners already made back $31-32 a day on the machines mining.

Wow! Seriously, I am interest to see how you arrive at that. If it's true, I get 1 too.

What im saying is 1Th will make about $31 a day hashing now.  If you bought a machine last week for $3600 it is almost same price as if you order a batch 3 machine today for $3199 and receive it next week.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
IMO the price should be betwwen 2200$ and 2400$. Others like bit-tech or the dragon miners are selling for far less than 3199$.

I am "lucky" that my miners are working fine, problem with just one having my fans running at 100% all the time. Still didnt find any solution on how to control those god damn fans. So fans are still running, 3 of them are monitored in the antminer webinterface and with the first one it is showing 0 rpm ( but still running at 100% ).  It is so loud, and bitmain replied to me that it is not possible to adjust fan control manually. So disapointing.

I hope someone can find a way to acces the miners configuration file, I really need to reset / control the fan settings with SSH or something like that. I tried everything I could in order to have my fan control working good.

I agree, Bitmain seems to REALLY be milking the S2 … That or they are trying not to piss off batch 1 or batch 2 customers...

Wow! Seriously, I am interest to see how you arrive at that. If it's true, I get 1 too.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
If they didn't want to piss off batch 1 or batch 2 customers, they might have given us a coupon worth more than $100...

Their prices were unbeatable when the bitcoin price was higher, but now they have pegged the price in dollars, making break-even very difficult, if not impossible...
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

Activity: 226

I am "lucky" that my miners are working fine, problem with just one having my fans running at 100% all the time. Still didnt find any solution on how to control those god damn fans. So fans are still running, 3 of them are monitored in the antminer webinterface and with the first one it is showing 0 rpm ( but still running at 100% ).  It is so loud, and bitmain replied to me that it is not possible to adjust fan control manually. So disapointing.

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

I am "lucky" that my miners are working fine, problem with just one having my fans running at 100% all the time. Still didnt find any solution on how to control those god damn fans. So fans are still running, 3 of them are monitored in the antminer webinterface and with the first one it is showing 0 rpm ( but still running at 100% ).  It is so loud, and bitmain replied to me that it is not possible to adjust fan control manually. So disapointing.

Activity: 226
S2 going back on sale, but as suspected the price is totally retarded … They can go fish ….. 3199 is still WAY over priced considering all the dam issues, and the fact that there is still no site on ROI at that price… Where do these guys dream this stuff up...

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
AntMiner S2 1TH/s Miner Batch 3 Sales Open

Bitmain Technologies Limited is proud to announce ANTMINER S2 sales open at 22:00pm BeiJing time Apr 23rd GMT+8.
The 3rd Batch of AntMiner S2 will be shipped out starting from April 26th. AntMiner S2 will be available in the global market for a price of $3,199.

Coupon for Returning Customers:
Only $3,099 after a $100 Instant Coupon, which will be released to the user IDs who have bought S2 in the Batch 1 & Batch 2.

AntMiner S2 SPEC:

Hash rate: 1,000GH/s
 Power consumption: less than 1,100W from the wall
 Power efficiency: Around 1.1Watt/GH/s
 PSU: 1050W produced by Enermax, 80PLUS gold
 4U Rack (442mm * 432mm * 177mm)
 Built-in 1050W PSU
 Plug and Mining
 Stable and quietly

URL: https://www.bitmaintech.com

Sorry to put this in your face, as you've been awesome for the mining community, especially for the Antminer S1, but your pricing, design, and rollout of the S2 has been way off.

Pricing, you've been beat several times over by your competitors.  Best example, $2350 1 TH/s miner from Bit-Tech:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/worldwidebitmine-950-ghs-1500-usd-next-day-delivery-409701

Design, just based from the feedback on this thread.  Blades disconnected, cables unplugged, quality control issues.  Either the S2 isn't packaged correctly, or the case design is horrible.

Rollout in batches now.  What happened to the shipping from in stock or in hand model?  This is basically a shortened pre-order model which causes inflated demand with everyone trying to get in line to make the batch cut.

Hopefully for the S3, you go back to the S1 model of rock solid design, competitive and affordable pricing, and always shipping from stock.

You already have the most popular miner in the world, maybe listen to the community that put you there.
Activity: 32
will be a late night for me Grin counting down
Activity: 741
Merit: 514
https://www.bitmain.com
AntMiner S2 1TH/s Miner Batch 3 Sales Open

Bitmain Technologies Limited is proud to announce ANTMINER S2 sales open at 22:00pm BeiJing time Apr 23rd GMT+8.
The 3rd Batch of AntMiner S2 will be shipped out starting from April 26th. AntMiner S2 will be available in the global market for a price of $3,199.

Coupon for Returning Customers:
Only $3,099 after a $100 Instant Coupon, which will be released to the user IDs who have bought S2 in the Batch 1 & Batch 2.

AntMiner S2 SPEC:

Hash rate: 1,000GH/s
 Power consumption: less than 1,100W from the wall
 Power efficiency: Around 1.1Watt/GH/s
 PSU: 1050W produced by Enermax, 80PLUS gold
 4U Rack (442mm * 432mm * 177mm)
 Built-in 1050W PSU
 Plug and Mining
 Stable and quietly

URL: https://www.bitmaintech.com
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Does anyone have the PCB design sheets for these new boards like we have for the S1?
Activity: 635
Respect if somebody find a way how to overclock them....  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

An OC to 225MHz shows 1147GH/s on the miner, but less than 1,000GH/s at the pool, basically the HW errors are so much higher you get a lower effective speed at the pool. Hoping the community can figure this out, maybe a firmware update or a more optimized CGminer.
You mean OC not profitable?

I set frequency to 250Mhz and after reboot it make long beep. What does it means? Lack of power or too high frequency ?

If you are using the stock 1kw Psu then it's probably lack of power, but it's not a good idea to do such big jumps in click rate when overclocking anyway. Take it slow and incremental.
legendary
Activity: 1001
Merit: 1005

An OC to 225MHz shows 1147GH/s on the miner, but less than 1,000GH/s at the pool, basically the HW errors are so much higher you get a lower effective speed at the pool. Hoping the community can figure this out, maybe a firmware update or a more optimized CGminer.
You mean OC not profitable?

I set frequency to 250Mhz and after reboot it make long beep. What does it means? Lack of power or too high frequency ?
I got Satoshi's avatar!
I know it was talked about earlier in the thread - but I have not been frequesnt the last few days and am planning to visit my S2 for the first time tomorrow morning.

1) Should I reflash the firmware of the unit AND/OR copy a new version of the SD card?  (I saw an SD image posted a few days ago)

2) I am changing to a 2kW server PSU and want to see what sort of overclocking is available.  How can I change the clocks? I saw several posts indicating that the unit clears the settings at a reboot, so when changing the clocks you have to start/stop the cgminer only.  Can someone post the code for that (using putty SSH and I have experience with S1)

3) overclocking, the hex codes are the same as were listed in the U1 documentation?  https://coinreport.net/overclock-antminer-u1-guide/  is correct?  (the initial clocks are 160-170MHz right? I would be aiming to 212-225MHz to start.

4) overclocking, do the stock fans get fast enough to handle it, or will I need to pull the top off and add a pair of 230mm fans to increase flow? I could run the PSU outside the case to lessen the heat created

1) You'll only need to flash the firmware if it's older than "Thu Apr 10 19:08:42 CST 2014". My batch 2 unit came with the latest firmware already installed. I would suggest making a backup SD card though, in case it does corrupt the one in there with a power down. I suggest doing it with your own image, once you've changed all the settings and have the pools set up or you'll have to do that each time you insert a backup card. I've not needed to reflash the sd card yet, but I've been using the suggested method of ejecting it before powering down and that seems to work very well.

2) I'm sure the overclocking is much the same as the S1 as I remember reading earlier on. It's just that the file is now "asic-freq.conf" and is in a different location (no time to search the thread history).

3) I would expect the hex codes to be the same as the S1 as they use the same chip. The initial clocks are 196Mhz.

4) I'm not sure about the stock fans with OC, but they seem to handle the standard clock speeds ok. Mine are running at 1920rpm, with the hottest board furthest from the psu running at 48oC, ambient around 20oC and case closed.

I had trouble with smashed innards, a broken off reducer/capacitor and a missing resistor, but with a little ingenuity and silver conductive paint, I'm hashing at 1Th/s now and it's been stable overnight Grin
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I know it was talked about earlier in the thread - but I have not been frequesnt the last few days and am planning to visit my S2 for the first time tomorrow morning.

1) Should I reflash the firmware of the unit AND/OR copy a new version of the SD card?  (I saw an SD image posted a few days ago)

2) I am changing to a 2kW server PSU and want to see what sort of overclocking is available.  How can I change the clocks? I saw several posts indicating that the unit clears the settings at a reboot, so when changing the clocks you have to start/stop the cgminer only.  Can someone post the code for that (using putty SSH and I have experience with S1)

3) overclocking, the hex codes are the same as were listed in the U1 documentation?  https://coinreport.net/overclock-antminer-u1-guide/  is correct?  (the initial clocks are 160-170MHz right? I would be aiming to 212-225MHz to start.

4) overclocking, do the stock fans get fast enough to handle it, or will I need to pull the top off and add a pair of 230mm fans to increase flow? I could run the PSU outside the case to lessen the heat created

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

Activity: 64
Merit: 10
Hi, does anyone know how to reset fan control on the S2?

I have recently purchased two Antminer S2 units. One of the unit is working perfectly but I have a problem with the second unit running the fans at full speed all the time.

In the miner web interface I can see that the Fan 1 is showing 0 instead of the fans rpm but the fan is working at full speed ( all the other fans are working also ) but it wont adjust speed  to control the fan loudness.

On the other unit everything is working good and Fan 1 is showing rpm.

I tried unplug and replug the fan on the board but it is still the same fans are running at maximum speed all the time. I tried upgrading firmware ( succedeed without problem ) , I also tried a hard reset but it has changed nothing.

This is very loud and consuming.

I guess it is related with the firware but upgrading didnt help.

Is there any way to adjust / control / reset the fan control?

The S2 has a total of 5 fans, but the motherboard has 6 places to connect a fan.  Only fans 1-4 are monitored by the Web GUI.  So, when the factory banged out hundreds of S2's in a short period of time, guess what happens....

All 3 of my S2's have their fans connected differently.  I don't have the problem you describe, but perhaps it happens if two of your main fans are connected to plugs 5 and 6 rather than 1-4?

Activity: 14
Hi, does anyone know how to reset fan control on the S2?

I have recently purchased two Antminer S2 units. One of the unit is working perfectly but I have a problem with the second unit running the fans at full speed all the time.

In the miner web interface I can see that the Fan 1 is showing 0 instead of the fans rpm but the fan is working at full speed ( all the other fans are working also ) but it wont adjust speed  to control the fan loudness.

On the other unit everything is working good and Fan 1 is showing rpm.

I tried unplug and replug the fan on the board but it is still the same fans are running at maximum speed all the time. I tried upgrading firmware ( succedeed without problem ) , I also tried a hard reset but it has changed nothing.

This is very loud and consuming.

I guess it is related with the firware but upgrading didnt help.

Is there any way to adjust / control / reset the fan control?
Activity: 30
I could not resurrect my dead PSU and emailed Bitmain, a day later a replacement PSU is on its way with tracking numbers etc. I am returning the dead PSU at their expense too, I had kind of expected to pay for that myself so that was a nice surprise.

Jump to: