Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 211. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.
Oh my bad, statement retracted :p
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Sorry, but Bitmain doesn't have S2s in stock that ship within 48 hours so this is a pre-order.

These S2's likely haven't even been manufactured yet unless Bitmain is pre-mining with them.
Its not a preorder lol, my definition of preorder is waiting 3-4 months for something that may or may not ship
Activity: 728
I've got 10 Ants running right now and it is loud and hot! I think it is worth the premium if the unit is cool and quiet,I don't plan to pre order but once they have equipment ready for purchase I will upgrade for sure.
You can still make a reasonable break even time, and pretty decent ROI even if factoring in a 10% difficulty increase every 2016 blocks.

In my opinion, it is a mistake to only assume the difficulty will increase 10% every 2016 blocks in your ROI calculations. Assuming 10% increases would be a very aggressive, 15% moderate, and 20% conservative.

If next difficulty increase is low 10's, ill go with 15%. Ill be mining on a sha-256 multi pool anyways, after I get my antminers, probably tekcoin for that 40% pos rate xD
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Difficulty increase last time was only 9%, a 10 - 20% increase EVERY month is highly unlikely..... But yeah, i'd add a 40 days or so to break even, ROI is a different term. ROI: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/returnoninvestment.asp

Check out past difficulty increases on this site. We continue to see 10-20% difficulty increases every 11-12 days. The latest difficulty increase of only 11% is the anomaly if you look at past increases.

http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
My bad, thought it was 9%. I don't think we are going to see a 20% jump in a long time, it seems the difficulty is leveling out....

One 11% difficulty increase does make a trend. The verdict is still out on whether or not the difficulty is leveling out.

The rate of hashing power increase might not be slowing down, but the growth rate definitely is and has been since the massive growth last fall. We're getting down close to the level of 1%/day
You can still make a reasonable break even time, and pretty decent ROI even if factoring in a 10% difficulty increase every 2016 blocks.

In my opinion, it is a mistake to only assume the difficulty will increase 10% every 2016 blocks in your ROI calculations. Assuming 10% increases would be a very aggressive, 15% moderate, and 20% conservative.
Difficulty increase last time was only 9%, a 10 - 20% increase EVERY month is highly unlikely..... But yeah, i'd add a 40 days or so to break even, ROI is a different term. ROI: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/returnoninvestment.asp

Check out past difficulty increases on this site. We continue to see 10-20% difficulty increases every 11-12 days. The latest difficulty increase of only 11% is the anomaly if you look at past increases.

My bad, thought it was 9%. I don't think we are going to see a 20% jump in a long time, it seems the difficulty is leveling out....

One 11% difficulty increase does not make a trend. The verdict is still out on whether or not the difficulty is leveling out.

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
Guys calm down about the PSU. I've ordered an S2 and will do a setup guide and review - if it burns my flat down then I'll let you know Wink

In all seriousness, I'll obviously check pwoer consumption and PSU spec'ing.

Looking forward to it.

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

... these things will be lucky to ROI in BTC in 6 months...

what's the point to buy if ROI only in 6 months.. I must be missing something
Antminer S1 currently mine at about 0.0204462 BTC per day without overclocking.  
(Current Difficulties: 4,250,217,920)
*Pool luck may increase or decrese the mining rate.

Am I right if I say that Antminer S2 will mine at about 0.1 BTC/day, because that would mean that it will take 57 days to ROI. So for those getting these miners on 15 April it will take 2 months to ROI...

Please correct me if im wrong

You're very wrong. You need to factor in difficulty increases, and these miners won't even be mining for a month. By the time you get one, they only be getting ~.07 BTC per day, and the difficulty will continue to go up 10-20% every 11 to 12 days.

Based on the current price of the S2 and a mid April delivery date, these things will be lucky to ROI in BTC in 6 months...
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Antminer S1 currently mine at about 0.0204462 BTC per day without overclocking. 
(Current Difficulties: 4,250,217,920)
*Pool luck may increase or decrese the mining rate.

Am I right if I say that Antminer S2 will mine at about 0.1 BTC/day, because that would mean that it will take 57 days to ROI. So for those getting these miners on 15 April it will take 2 months to ROI...

Please correct me if im wrong
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Guys calm down about the PSU. I've ordered an S2 and will do a setup guide and review - if it burns my flat down then I'll let you know Wink

+1.  Stop getting your panties in a knot over vague technical specifications. Bitmain has a prototype right now (that i assume works just fine) so it seems VERY unlikely they would be stupid enough to skimp on the PSU rather then be smart and install a power supply that has some headroom. They are not tech-illiterate, and the S1 proved that handily.

I imagine that Bitmain has arranged some sort of deal with enermax that they will buy PSUs in bulk, within china, and get very good cost, high quality models. Even with the extra shipping weight it probably works out cheaper then letting customers buy one on delivery - and might be partially influenced by the forum threads full of people complaining about their units malfunctioning [because they are trying to use <500W power supplies]

I use server supplies for a lot of my gear, which gives me 1000W for about $30 + an hour of my time (getting the supply, testing it, soldering cables, testing it again, praying its not one with a screaming 2000RPM fan, etc), but I have no issues with a supply being included if the quality and price are right.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

so if it is 800 watts at the wall  it will work for quite a while. 

I have used two 1000 watt plat  seasonic's pulling 770 watts for 14 months .

but lets say that is the case that it pulls 800-820 watts doing 990gh.

I still don't need his psu as I have 1 x 1000 watt seasonic plat and 3 fractal design newton r3 plat 1000 watt psu's in my home. I also have a 1200 watt psu from corsair.

So the unit is at least 200usd  more for the psu + more to ship due to the extra weight. 
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

In all seriousness, I'll obviously check power consumption and PSU spec'ing.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I feel that Bitmain is skimping on the PSU.  Assuming that they're using Enermax ERV1000EWT-G 80 Plus Gold which is approximately 90% efficient at around full load (996W or 83A total on the 12V rail), the S2 would be drawing around 900WDC (1000WAC at the wall*90%) from this PSU.  That's a 90% (900W/996W) continuous load 24/7.  That's too close for comfort.  A 1200W PSU (75% load) would be more appropriate.  Personally, I prefer a 1500W PSU (60% load) for the S2; much closer to peak efficiency which is at 50% load.

Bitmain should offer an option to sell the S2 without a power supply at an appropriately reduced price so we could supply our own PSU just like with the S1s or get rid of the relatively puny 1000-Watter and use at least a 1200W premium PSU.  The cost difference for them shouldn't be that much especially when purchased in bulk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194101

yeah I don't need his psu nor do I want it.  I have lots of quality 1000 and 1200 watt psu's they are running his s-1's

I want a solid discount for one without a psu.  BTW this also would allow them to say the gear does not work and needs psu repairs to work thus allowing them to legally use a lower value to ship to the EU.

So bitmain I know you would be stuck a shit load of psu's if you do this, but the truth is for many of us we just do not need the psu!
Jump to: