Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 6. (Read 355604 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
hasnt everyone with an S2 shut it down already??

0.30USD per day is hardly worth it, is it?
I wasn't very impressed with the offerings from Bitmain after the S2, so it's all I have at the moment... solo mining at CK's pool to see how much luck I have Wink

yea, S2s were such a ballache i refused to play the 'throw more good money after bad' game any more.

BIG promises - not much else.

Glad to have severed all ties!
Yep, and I just can't support a supplier that is clearly competing with its customers in the market. I don't understand how people don't see that supporting them means they make more money and build bigger farms and push up the difficulty so everyone earns less... makes no logical sense at all.
I got Satoshi's avatar!

I wasn't very impressed with the offerings from Bitmain after the S2, so it's all I have at the moment... solo mining at CK's pool to see how much luck I have Wink
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
If you don't mind Hosted Mining Power, you can enjoy 2TH/s for $350.  ($175/TH with S4)

http://www.hashnest.com   <=== HashNest.Com is Owned and Operated by Bitmain

no I'm running all of mine still, but what is annoying is that they take 1100w each and that is double the s5, so my actual capacity becomes limited.  but they can be had super cheap.  so for me it's 1 th for 150 bucks, so per th it's not a bad deal.  I just loose opportunity cost. 

Can also get to hashnest.com via hashne.st and minerlink.com via miner.link for short. Both are controller by me but both DNS direct to the full sites.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
If you don't mind Hosted Mining Power, you can enjoy 2TH/s for $350.  ($175/TH with S4)

no I'm running all of mine still, but what is annoying is that they take 1100w each and that is double the s5, so my actual capacity becomes limited.  but they can be had super cheap.  so for me it's 1 th for 150 bucks, so per th it's not a bad deal.  I just loose opportunity cost.  

Agreed but maintenance fee is killer. 
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510

no I'm running all of mine still, but what is annoying is that they take 1100w each and that is double the s5, so my actual capacity becomes limited.  but they can be had super cheap.  so for me it's 1 th for 150 bucks, so per th it's not a bad deal.  I just loose opportunity cost.  
Activity: 72

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
I have a S2 backplane for sale, pm me if interested.  All 10 slots work, however one of the pcie connectors is damaged.  This Backplane was from a batch 1 S2 (before the psu intake was cut out of the case).  I ran 10 cards heavily underclocked on this Backplane without issue.  Someone with skills could also repair it.

legendary
dogiecoin.com
only what is available in the gui.  I think it was 196M ? I don't have it running right now, but from what I could tell from the firmware upgrade there were three settings.  The middle being default.  The lowest setting had no effect.  I ran it again today after doing a manual reset of it from the led panel and the same thing happens.  Does the S2 run at 1000W consistently or is even my first watt meter showing 1090 too high for the miner to be at.  Maybe it is the PSU, something with it.  I looked at the cables and such and couldn't find anything unusual.  There was some wear on the fabric covering the large on power cable, but that was from being bent.  It's got to be something with the PSU or the controller firmware/board at the base and/or the beaglebone (i think that is what it is).
At this point I would think it's the psu... mine died after the 2 months and it would also run for a few minutes and shut off (I don't have a killawatt). I had it replaced by Bitmain and it's been running perfectly since.

You could try removing one or two of the boards and see how well it runs like that.... that's what I did while waiting for my replacement psu.

Its better than nothing, although it also reduces stress on controller and the backpane. Only real way to know is get another PSU to test the S2 separately.
I got Satoshi's avatar!
only what is available in the gui.  I think it was 196M ? I don't have it running right now, but from what I could tell from the firmware upgrade there were three settings.  The middle being default.  The lowest setting had no effect.  I ran it again today after doing a manual reset of it from the led panel and the same thing happens.  Does the S2 run at 1000W consistently or is even my first watt meter showing 1090 too high for the miner to be at.  Maybe it is the PSU, something with it.  I looked at the cables and such and couldn't find anything unusual.  There was some wear on the fabric covering the large on power cable, but that was from being bent.  It's got to be something with the PSU or the controller firmware/board at the base and/or the beaglebone (i think that is what it is).
At this point I would think it's the psu... mine died after the 2 months and it would also run for a few minutes and shut off (I don't have a killawatt). I had it replaced by Bitmain and it's been running perfectly since.

You could try removing one or two of the boards and see how well it runs like that.... that's what I did while waiting for my replacement psu.
Activity: 69
the kill-a-watt I have is showing at 1115 Watts at the wall.  Since just moving the box it has been shutting off quickly.  The only other thing that I have done is update the firmware a while back and have it set at 196M and 725 Volts.  I have a 18 gauge computer cable that showed some wear on one of the terminals.  I ordered a 14 gauge cable to replace it.  There's some dust inside, but other than that I'm not sure what is going on.  Anyone have this problem.  I'm close to retiring it anyway, but would still like to know if it works fine (and safe) until I shut it off completely.

What voltage and frequency were you running before? If you're getting 1115W at the wall then you're very close to maxing the PSU. (as are stock S2s though).

It's always been stock frequency and voltage.  So I'm not really sure why its doing that.  In addition, the watts start out at 1090 and then increase after thirty minutes to 1132.  After this at some point it shuts off.  I'm not an expert on electronics, but could this be something that would be caused by one, the 18 gauge power cable?  Or dust in the S2?  Or do you think it is the update I made to the firmware?
Did you replace the cable before you moved the box? Was it working fine with the new cable before you moved it? I'd suggest trying the old cable for an hour to eliminate that possibility.

If you see dust in the miner then there is probably more in there than you think, I'd suggest taking the boards out and cleaning them off with a damp cloth. You'll be surprised how dirty they get and what a difference it makes to the fan speed after a decent cleaning.

At this point I'm a bit stumped.  I have tested it several times using the following.  The old cord, a new 14awg computer cable, and compressed air cleaned the boards, moved the miner to several different outlets.  The same occurs on all miner starts off around 1080 watts and climbs to 1125-30 and abrubtly shuts off.  I've reset the boards, I am using the new firmware.  I've rebooted it from the gui.  I tried the reset button on the outside of the box and for some reason I couldn't get the button to work, not sure where that leaves me.  At this point I have a seemingly functioning miner that increases watts until it exceeds the internal psu and shuts off.  I have not used Kano firmware, but did mod something quite a while back to change something from (not frequency) but some other function to 1 that would reduce HW errors.  However the miner has run exceptionally well for at least six months since that time.  Any ideas of what it could be electrically that could cause an increase in watts from the boards?

Have you been able to underclock after booting to see if you can get it to stay up?

legendary
dogiecoin.com
the kill-a-watt I have is showing at 1115 Watts at the wall.  Since just moving the box it has been shutting off quickly.  The only other thing that I have done is update the firmware a while back and have it set at 196M and 725 Volts.  I have a 18 gauge computer cable that showed some wear on one of the terminals.  I ordered a 14 gauge cable to replace it.  There's some dust inside, but other than that I'm not sure what is going on.  Anyone have this problem.  I'm close to retiring it anyway, but would still like to know if it works fine (and safe) until I shut it off completely.

What voltage and frequency were you running before? If you're getting 1115W at the wall then you're very close to maxing the PSU. (as are stock S2s though).

It's always been stock frequency and voltage.  So I'm not really sure why its doing that.  In addition, the watts start out at 1090 and then increase after thirty minutes to 1132.  After this at some point it shuts off.  I'm not an expert on electronics, but could this be something that would be caused by one, the 18 gauge power cable?  Or dust in the S2?  Or do you think it is the update I made to the firmware?
Did you replace the cable before you moved the box? Was it working fine with the new cable before you moved it? I'd suggest trying the old cable for an hour to eliminate that possibility.

If you see dust in the miner then there is probably more in there than you think, I'd suggest taking the boards out and cleaning them off with a damp cloth. You'll be surprised how dirty they get and what a difference it makes to the fan speed after a decent cleaning.

At this point I'm a bit stumped.  I have tested it several times using the following.  The old cord, a new 14awg computer cable, and compressed air cleaned the boards, moved the miner to several different outlets.  The same occurs on all miner starts off around 1080 watts and climbs to 1125-30 and abrubtly shuts off.  I've reset the boards, I am using the new firmware.  I've rebooted it from the gui.  I tried the reset button on the outside of the box and for some reason I couldn't get the button to work, not sure where that leaves me.  At this point I have a seemingly functioning miner that increases watts until it exceeds the internal psu and shuts off.  I have not used Kano firmware, but did mod something quite a while back to change something from (not frequency) but some other function to 1 that would reduce HW errors.  However the miner has run exceptionally well for at least six months since that time.  Any ideas of what it could be electrically that could cause an increase in watts from the boards?

Have you been able to underclock after booting to see if you can get it to stay up?

I got Satoshi's avatar!
with new firmware improves the stability of mining?
I'm running Kano's S2 update for months without issues: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS2
Activity: 226
Merit: 100

doubt there will be any new firmware on a unit this far out of the production cycle … "unless they come out with a upgrade" Please run the last firmware they have on their site … It has issues but its your best bet ..
Activity: 411
Merit: 250
donator
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010
Parental Advisory Explicit Content
I still have a S2 mining board for sale if someone is interested.

Just give me a PM, asking 15€ ex shipping.

Cheers
I got Satoshi's avatar!

legendary
dogiecoin.com

The things you've suggested as causes are all reasonable, although you can probably ignore firmware for hard shutdowns. It will either be PSU load, PSU overheating or your cable overheating in some fashion.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
I'd feel around the new outlet, see what it may be sharing the circuit with, you said you recently moved it, may not be playing nice with something else on the line or a hot panel breaker.

Pages:
Jump to: