Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 76. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Any update on price bm?

[edit] please don't tell me it's UP again...

2309 or

2309-400 = 1909 if you have a coupon
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Any update on price bm?

[edit] please don't tell me it's UP again...
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
has anyone attempted upgrading to a new 1300 Watt PSU?

I put EVGA1300's in mine and get 1148 @ 225 Freq. HW Errors are super high, but it does increase W/U by 2000 or so.

I've got EVGA 1300 coming, might try it in S2 instead of 3 ants as I planned. So, what % are HW errors? Sorry, what is W/U? measure of work done?
legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

The S2 stock PSU is 90% efficient at around 100% load.  If the PSU is drawing 1100WAC at the wall, then the S2 is pulling 990WDC (1100WAC*0.90) from the Enermax Evolution 87+ 1000W PSU.  Its specification states that the maximum total output of the 12V rails is 996W (83A).  That makes it a whopping 99.40% (990W/996W) load being exerted on the PSU.  But wait a minute.  According to the actual 80 PLUS Verification and Testing Report, the PSU only puts out a cumulative output of 74.4A at 12.10V (900.24W) on the 12V rails at 100% load.  Therefore, the stock PSU has a deficiency of around -90W (900W-990W = -90W).  So, where's the S2 gonna get it from?  This is why they have been failing.

A 1300W PSU is no doubt more suitable.  It'll get around 76% (990W/1300W) load from the S2.  A 1200-Watter would be around 83% load which is still acceptable.

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

I put EVGA1300's in mine and get 1148 @ 225 Freq. HW Errors are super high, but it does increase W/U by 2000 or so.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

i upgraded to a 2000W and overclocked to 1100GH
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009
legendary
Activity: 1081

I've always contended ever since Bitmain introduced the S2 that they have skimped on the PSU.  Subjecting it to a constant high load (very close to 100% of its capacity) 24/7 deteriorates its performance faster than when properly loaded with ample headroom as usually recommended.  It's no surprise that numerous S2 owners found themselves having to replace the stock PSUs much sooner.  Some desperately deactivate a module just to get them going.  What's the point of paying for 10 hashing modules when only 9 are able to effectively hash due to the inadequate PSU?

Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Got my S2 unit on the 23th and had it running full speed without a hitch til just now... had to move it to another room and it never woke up again... seems PSU is dead... only worked for like 4 days... shit...

Hope bitmain sends a replacement fast...
The PSU shouldn't break from simply moving the machine to another room. I'd say try moving it back to see if it's the wall socket, otherwise open it up and make sure all cables are snug. Next, try removing one card and then starting it up again.

My PSU ran fine for a month and then it wouldn't run all 10 cards all of a sudden... I've since received a replacement PSU from Bitmain and it's working fine again.
legendary
Activity: 1848
@ Nortian - did u try waiting for a full 10 minutes for the retarded enermax safety switch to reset?

@ freebit - apparently no, we are supposed to be over the moon that ALL the potential profit goes to Bitmain - you cant have a reasonably priced miner AND expect to make a profit (so i've been told)

saying that i bought one more @ 3.4BTC.... so apparently i CAN have it both ways (pay through the nose AND moan about it Wink )
Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
When the btc price is up, the miner price is fixed in btc... when btc price goes down, they couple the price to USD... now that btc is up again, they go back to a fixed btc price and increase the USD price  Huh

There is no excuse for why the USD price of the miners should increase... with btc going up, the btc and the USD price should be going down... I really thought Bitmain was out to help the community (in the beginning they were), but I'm starting to question that belief now Roll Eyes
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
Got my S2 unit on the 23th and had it running full speed without a hitch til just now... had to move it to another room and it never woke up again... seems PSU is dead... only worked for like 4 days... shit...

The BM RMA process is super-fast now--I had a blade shipped back to them 2-day express and they returned it to me in the US 2-day.  Four days, round trip, from the US to China!
Activity: 97
Merit: 10

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
What value on invoice for S2 now? I do not want to pay high VAT...

Full price, even if you used a coupon.  You  could try adding a note in the order field.
Activity: 326
What value on invoice for S2 now? I do not want to pay high VAT...
legendary
i was unaware there was a timeframe set to the upgrade, it seemed as though it was imminent.

though with the the pathetic price rises it may just be irrelevant by the time its 'deployed'

and thats not taking into account that it may be a BS marketing strategy - buy my overpriced S2's yo, theyre gunna be upgradable...honest

i hope my cynicism is unfounded!

A lot will depend on the asicminer gear  800gh for 1170 and hosting for 120 usd a month  was tossed out as possible .

no shipping no rasp pi    .  this is a good deal if you are like me approaching the summer. 

here is another offer that comes close

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6959648

this would be  2300 up front with 90 days hosting fully paid. starts mining in a day.
legendary
Activity: 1848
i was unaware there was a timeframe set to the upgrade, it seemed as though it was imminent.

though with the the pathetic price rises it may just be irrelevant by the time its 'deployed'

and thats not taking into account that it may be a BS marketing strategy - buy my overpriced S2's yo, theyre gunna be upgradable...honest

i hope my cynicism is unfounded!
Activity: 399
Cryptocurrency Evangelist
Hi,

I have 16 coupons for Antminer S2 expiring on 30 of May.

Please PM me your account name on BITMAIN, I will donate you amount you need.
legendary
Activity: 1540

If I recall correctly, BITMAINTECH is offering an inexpensive upgrade to the S2's shortly.  I really like that upgrade option. 

Shortly?  iirc it was a few months.  That's a long time in the mining world.

M
legendary

If I recall correctly, BITMAINTECH is offering an inexpensive upgrade to the S2's shortly.  I really like that upgrade option. 

well it will need a new psu and run hotter.  ie louder but it could be  a better  deal then buying the s-2 as it is now
Pages:
Jump to: