Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 182. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
Still haven't seen one of these suckers in Australia. I'm really wishing I could get one but the current exchange rate is brutal.
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
@Dr.Miner,

Beeping means, you lost connection to the internet or your pool lost connection to the internet or you lost connection to the pool.

If you think it is defective, you can submit a support ticket to [email protected] or call 844-248-6246 Option 2 for a live tech support.  Good Luck! 

@727miner,

thanks!  sorry for the trouble, but hope the replacement ant will work hard for you  Wink

@nicehash,

Yoshi sent you guys email regarding the post.  Please check with him!  (But not to give any false hope, Antminer is a SHA256 miner but designed to work most optimized with Bitcoin Mining.

also, anyone tried Push&Pull with stock S5 fans on S5 to see any favorable result in reducing heat or noise?

Activity: 112
For anyone looking to put slightly quieter fans (that still get the job done) on their S5, here's a dang good deal on a pair of Delta AFB-1212SHE.  This seems to be a popular choice for reducing dBs while still keeping temps under the 60C target.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191472588964?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Two fans for 20 bucks shipped.  Not sure what's up with the 4-pin connecter, something looks off about it.  I just placed an order and will update when they come in.  Hope this helps someone.

yeah, that's the one phil found and many people were using.
the connector is NOT PWM, though, so you would have to cut it off, then cut off the default fan connector and splice it on a new fan wires.

there strange looking you many end up putting on new ends i bought two of them thinking what a deal . they don't fit the miners four pins to big even if you try to make it fit holes don't line up for the pins,plug is to big. and  they have very long wires.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
For anyone looking to put slightly quieter fans (that still get the job done) on their S5, here's a dang good deal on a pair of Delta AFB-1212SHE.  This seems to be a popular choice for reducing dBs while still keeping temps under the 60C target.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191472588964?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Two fans for 20 bucks shipped.  Not sure what's up with the 4-pin connecter, something looks off about it.  I just placed an order and will update when they come in.  Hope this helps someone.

yeah, that's the one phil found and many people were using.
the connector is NOT PWM, though, so you would have to cut it off, then cut off the default fan connector and splice it on a new fan wires.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Yeah, that's why I added the caveat that speeds might have to be slowed down quite a bit. It would be interesting to see how much, but based on cooling S1s with similar specced fans I would guess you'd probably be ok running at 600-800GH/s in a 20-25C room.

Lucky people mining at 20C Sad The heat removal of 20C air is nearly double that of 40C air for a 60C heatsink, no fair.

Also, nice on providing links with and without the affiliate and making it apparent that the one is an affiliate link.

Its a question I posted in my survey, with surprisingly indifferent results so far. When asked "If it was made clearer that links may contain affiliate tags (Amazon etc), would you be more or less likely to view / purchase through them?", 25% answered "Much more likely (to support)" and the other 75% "No change".
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
I read back a few pages looking for information about changing the fans on the S5's but was unable to find any information so I am starting the discussion over.

I received my 2 S5's yesterday and my parents promptly said "no" to the noise going on in the backroom from them.  So now I need to replace the fans and my thinking was just to put 2 of them on either end like the S3 and call it good.  I noticed on the controller for the S5, there are 2 4 pin slots so I figure this should be fine, but wanted to double check.  I am thinking of running out and getting these today...
http://www.microcenter.com/product/423765/Air_Series_AF120_LED_Red_Quiet_Edition_Twin_Pack
and putting one on either end of each S5, but they are 3 pin connectors, should that be fine or should I find ones with 4 pin connectors (I thought 3 pin can plug into 4 pin slots?)  Also the airflow is 52.19 CFM, should that be sufficient to cool an S5?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all feedback
They should run fine with two of those fans using the 3 pin connector, but you won't have speed control. Depending on your ambient you might have to throttle down the speed quite a bit to keep the miner cool.

Don't use the quiet editions, they really are rather week and I doubt they'll be sufficient at any sort of ambient. The AF120 performance editions are much better suited as they're moderately high pressure but still at an acceptable noise level. I use them all the time to 'silence' various miners without trashing their cooling [Without affiliate] [With affiliate]. There are also PWM versions if you think you'll need it in the future [Without affiliate] [With affiliate].
Yeah, that's why I added the caveat that speeds might have to be slowed down quite a bit. It would be interesting to see how much, but based on cooling S1s with similar specced fans I would guess you'd probably be ok running at 600-800GH/s in a 20-25C room.

Also, nice on providing links with and without the affiliate and making it apparent that the one is an affiliate link.
Activity: 93
Even slightly is a stretch, those things are vicious 4000 rpm fans [1.6A], I've got 6 of them on a HashCoins Ares and combined they're the loudest fans I've had on a mainstream miner.

Yeah, I don't expect them to be quiet, per se.  I just know several people on the forums have said these measure in around 50 db versus the 70+ that has been measured by some with the stock S5 fan.  I'll do a side-by-side comparison when they come in and update.  Even if they don't improve things, still good fans to have on hand and @ $20/pair, hard to turn down.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1012
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive
I read back a few pages looking for information about changing the fans on the S5's but was unable to find any information so I am starting the discussion over.

I received my 2 S5's yesterday and my parents promptly said "no" to the noise going on in the backroom from them.  So now I need to replace the fans and my thinking was just to put 2 of them on either end like the S3 and call it good.  I noticed on the controller for the S5, there are 2 4 pin slots so I figure this should be fine, but wanted to double check.  I am thinking of running out and getting these today...
http://www.microcenter.com/product/423765/Air_Series_AF120_LED_Red_Quiet_Edition_Twin_Pack
and putting one on either end of each S5, but they are 3 pin connectors, should that be fine or should I find ones with 4 pin connectors (I thought 3 pin can plug into 4 pin slots?)  Also the airflow is 52.19 CFM, should that be sufficient to cool an S5?

They should run fine with two of those fans using the 3 pin connector, but you won't have speed control. Depending on your ambient you might have to throttle down the speed quite a bit to keep the miner cool.

Don't use the quiet editions, they really are rather week and I doubt they'll be sufficient at any sort of ambient. The AF120 performance editions are much better suited as they're moderately high pressure but still at an acceptable noise level. I use them all the time to 'silence' various miners without trashing their cooling [Without affiliate] [With affiliate]. There are also PWM versions if you think you'll need it in the future [Without affiliate] [With affiliate].

For anyone looking to put slightly quieter fans (that still get the job done) on their S5, here's a dang good deal on a pair of Delta AFB-1212SHE.  This seems to be a popular choice for reducing dBs while still keeping temps under the 60C target.

Two fans for 20 bucks shipped.  Not sure what's up with the 4-pin connecter, something looks off about it.  I just placed an order and will update when they come in.  Hope this helps someone.

Even slightly is a stretch, those things are vicious 4000 rpm fans [1.6A], I've got 6 of them on a HashCoins Ares and combined they're the loudest fans I've had on a mainstream miner.

I ended up buying 4 of these to place on either side of my 2 S5's...
http://www.microcenter.com/product/405571/NF-F12_PWM_120mm_Case_Fan
I will test them out tonight and report noise level and heat levels.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Don't use the quiet editions, they really are rather week and I doubt they'll be sufficient at any sort of ambient. The SP120 performance editions are much better suited as they're moderately high pressure but still at an acceptable noise level. I use them all the time to 'silence' various miners without trashing their cooling [Without affiliate] [With affiliate]. There are also PWM versions if you think you'll need it in the future [Without affiliate] [With affiliate].

Activity: 93
For anyone looking to put slightly quieter fans (that still get the job done) on their S5, here's a dang good deal on a pair of Delta AFB-1212SHE.  This seems to be a popular choice for reducing dBs while still keeping temps under the 60C target.

Two fans for 20 bucks shipped.  Not sure what's up with the 4-pin connecter, something looks off about it.  I just placed an order and will update when they come in.  Hope this helps someone.

legendary
dogiecoin.com
Hi, BITMAIN,

We noted that AntMiner S5's are having some minor issues when mining some particular low-diff and fast-work restart coins. Users which are mining on our NiceHash/WestHash SHA256 pool are seeing up to 5% rejects in particular periods of time when these miners are working on low-diff and fast-work restart altcoin orders. Could you let your technicians to look into this and provide some patch in the future firmware? Could this be due to too weak controller not being able to process all shares when working on low-diff and fast-work coins?

Kind regards,
NiceHash

What do you consider low diff? As miners get more and more powerful, setting appropriate difficulties becomes more and more important. For example attempting to run a miner at 128 which is appropriate at 2048 would create 20x the load on the controller.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Can anyone tell me what the f* going on with my S5.Its started to beeping this afternoon and keep going on.
I'm really over with this stupid rip off bitmain tech company.They dont have proper user manual.And no one knows what are the leds mean on the side, on the top.
I'm getting more and more random beeping.Can I send it back and they reimburse Me?

switch the PSU off, wait 20 sec, switch it back on.
once you will be able to connect to miner in gui check if you have jan 7 firmware as it is more stable.
as OP said, beeping simply means that you lost internet connection to your miner. it happens, no biggie.

As others have said, beeping is just a notification that you've lost connection to the pool / internet and its sitting idle. Restart the miner and check your settings, posting them here if you need help. You can also turn the beeping off. A full user manual is provided by Bitmain here.

If you need any help, let us know.
Activity: 543
Merit: 500
I wanted to give a shout out to BitmainWarranty. One of my S5's boards stopped hashing earlier this week and they were quick to communicate with me to setup an RMA. I shipped it to Denver (it still hasn't been delivered to them yet due to a USPS delay) and low and behold I just received a brand new unit this afternoon! Great customer service, thank you!!
legendary
Can anyone tell me what the f* going on with my S5.Its started to beeping this afternoon and keep going on.
I'm really over with this stupid rip off bitmain tech company.They dont have proper user manual.And no one knows what are the leds mean on the side, on the top.
I'm getting more and more random beeping.Can I send it back and they reimburse Me?

switch the PSU off, wait 20 sec, switch it back on.
once you will be able to connect to miner in gui check if you have jan 7 firmware as it is more stable.
as OP said, beeping simply means that you lost internet connection to your miner. it happens, no biggie.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Beep probably means it lost Internet connectivity.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 885
Merit: 1006
NiceHash.com
Hi, BITMAIN,

We noted that AntMiner S5's are having some minor issues when mining some particular low-diff and fast-work restart coins. Users which are mining on our NiceHash/WestHash SHA256 pool are seeing up to 5% rejects in particular periods of time when these miners are working on low-diff and fast-work restart altcoin orders. Could you let your technicians to look into this and provide some patch in the future firmware? Could this be due to too weak controller not being able to process all shares when working on low-diff and fast-work coins?

Kind regards,
NiceHash
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
I tried two of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E20SSWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but they weren't really enough and instead went with one of these in the back and a Delta up front using these to cut down the speed/noise: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Fan-Speed-Controller-FANMATE-2/dp/B000292DO0/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423845288&sr=1-8&keywords=fan+controller

Right now my five units are around 58-64C in a 73F basement.
legendary

That was my thoughts on the 3 pin connector.  Thanks for affirming.  

Forgive me for not understanding, but you say "throttle down" the speed to keep it cool, wouldn't throttle down refer to slowing the fan speeds, and raising the temp of the miner?  My ambient temperature isn't high, and they are in a very large space to dissipate the heat, so I am not too worried about that being a factor, just confused on what you mean.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Sorry, I meant turn down the frequency of the miner. There's no provision for voltage control with the S5, so power use scales pretty linearly with frequency. Those quiet 52CFM fans probably won't be able to dissipate 500W even running full out without the temps going nuts, so you might have to turn down the frequency significantly to keep everything from getting too hot.

Ahh that makes more sense, thank you, guess I will look for some fans with better airflow that are quieter.

Thinking this one now...
That should be plenty to have 2 of those per S5

not necessarily enough as that fan produces just 93CFM.
I used NF-12 3000rpm Noctua fans at ~110CFM ($24.6) and they only allow for ~325/1070 Gh at safe 60C when used alone in push position.
Added scythe ultra kaze (not PWM, ~$13) for pull and 337.5/1100Gh is possible at 60C, maybe even full speed if you have lower than 30C ambient
ultra kaze somehow did not work for push.
The whole setup is ~55-56dB, which is much better than default (more than 72dB).
if you need screws for connecting pull fan, then go to metric screws section at Lowes and get M4.-0.7 (45 mm-will allow for grill).
these fit very nicely.
I am really looking for quiet fans and next on my agenda are delta AFB1212SH (25X120X120mm). these supposed to produce just 46dB with 113CFM-I will believe it when I use them. Unfortunately, they are available only for slow ship from europe or china on ebay or amazon.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1012
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

That was my thoughts on the 3 pin connector.  Thanks for affirming.  

Forgive me for not understanding, but you say "throttle down" the speed to keep it cool, wouldn't throttle down refer to slowing the fan speeds, and raising the temp of the miner?  My ambient temperature isn't high, and they are in a very large space to dissipate the heat, so I am not too worried about that being a factor, just confused on what you mean.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Sorry, I meant turn down the frequency of the miner. There's no provision for voltage control with the S5, so power use scales pretty linearly with frequency. Those quiet 52CFM fans probably won't be able to dissipate 500W even running full out without the temps going nuts, so you might have to turn down the frequency significantly to keep everything from getting too hot.

Ahh that makes more sense, thank you, guess I will look for some fans with better airflow that are quieter.

Thinking this one now...
That should be plenty to have 2 of those per S5
Jump to: