Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 186. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Call me worried but, I think I have found a setting that gets me a decent hash rate with temps below 60c. 300 with the current set up that I have will yield 59 and 57 degrees on the blades but within the first hour or so I get 1 hardware error and over the course of a day and a half (36hours) I have 12 hardware errors. Now, I am powering this miner with a high quality 80 gold 650watt power supply.

first of all, are 12 hardware errors over the course of 36 hours ok for the miner? does that seem a bit high? I suppose the cooler I get the less likely the hardware errors will be produced. I am getting two new noctua nf-f12 fans, one at 3000rpm (push) and one at 2000rpm (pull) to replace my current setup as the wife has finally said the miner it too loud and producing too much heat.

I am asking about hardware errors again because I noticed that when I first set the miner to 300 it performed at just over 1Th/s and now it is working at just under 1Th/s. Do hardware errors effect hash rate?

The number of HW errors is not important. It's the percentage. HW errors are a GOOD thing for ASICs. It means your ASIC is being pushed to its limits for speed. Generally there is a tradeoff early on. Going from 0 to 1% HW errors results in a 5-15% increase in speed. and that takes about a hour to even out or become stable.

Future increases generally have smaller gains. Good ASIC firmware will automatically push the clocks up on ASICs to maximize the effective hash rate. but if it goes over a certain %  that is bad, for the S5 i think the safe % is 0.388 or some thing like that . mine never go over 0.02 that's  for days not mins or hours and i OC with a 750 gold psu or higher on all my S5, I'm not pushing OCing just saying even at 300 i would use a 750 or higher .

I would buy a 750 Watt psu gold . that gives you a lot of head room, but that's me. That  may even be why the high temps it's  not supplying enough power to keep it cool, when it needs it. I may be wrong . i  can't say I all ways over kill on  PSUs  not to much but just enough that it's not a waste .

I thought about a higher PSU but I couldn't afford the higher psu and well, i didn't plan on overclocking the miner either so I just went with a supply that meet the miners needs, 4 VGA and at least 600 watts. So how to you calculate hardware errors in percentage? so I can make sure my miner does not go over a certain percentage.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Can you load balance on these again?  My brother wants to buy half a miner with me, and we want to make sure we can split the hashrate 50/50 to both of our pools, also any other variation split 40/60 and/or 30/70?

Thanks,

DebitMe

you can but you have to edit some files on the  miner with SHH or WinSCP i haven't figured out which ones hold the setting it's not like the S3 or lower you could set the /usr/bin/ CGMIner file to --balance on a line  Polly still can but haven't had a need to balance farm yet these things are nice just farming straight up bit coins.

If you encounter the problem that changes are wiped on a reset [once you find the config file via SSH], we should be able to get around that. If you flash a 4GB+ SD card with the this image [old firmware, will need updating], you should be able to run the S5 off it. SD card takes priority over the flash memory (when you /etc/init.d/pgnand.sh) and so acts as primary OS. Changes to that should be permanent. Can also be used if you network brick / get corruption on the flash OS which reset doesn't fix.

[I say 'should' a lot as I've not tested it, but its from an internal Bitmain report.]

Thanks man I was wondering how to use the SD part of the S5 or how it worked, i was about to look it up .

I'll write it up properly for if others need it again once I've tested it myself.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Can you load balance on these again?  My brother wants to buy half a miner with me, and we want to make sure we can split the hashrate 50/50 to both of our pools, also any other variation split 40/60 and/or 30/70?

Thanks,

DebitMe

found it if this helps any

cd /etc/init.d
 vi cgminer.sh

PARAMS="--bitmain-dev /dev/bitmain-asic --bitmain-options 115200:32:8:$timeout:$chip_value:$freq_value:0725 --bitmain-checkn2diff --bitmain-hwerror --version-file /usr/bin/compile_time --queue $queue_value --load-balance"

I added load balance as a example .

Cya
Can you load balance on these again?  My brother wants to buy half a miner with me, and we want to make sure we can split the hashrate 50/50 to both of our pools, also any other variation split 40/60 and/or 30/70?

Thanks,

DebitMe

you can but you have to edit some files on the  miner with SHH or WinSCP i haven't figured out which ones hold the setting it's not like the S3 or lower you could set the /usr/bin/ CGMIner file to --balance on a line  Polly still can but haven't had a need to balance farm yet these things are nice just farming straight up bit coins.

If you encounter the problem that changes are wiped on a reset [once you find the config file via SSH], we should be able to get around that. If you flash a 4GB+ SD card with the this image [old firmware, will need updating], you should be able to run the S5 off it. SD card takes priority over the flash memory (when you /etc/init.d/pgnand.sh) and so acts as primary OS. Changes to that should be permanent. Can also be used if you network brick / get corruption on the flash OS which reset doesn't fix.

[I say 'should' a lot as I've not tested it, but its from an internal Bitmain report.]

Thanks man I was wondering how to use the SD part of the S5 or how it worked, i was about to look it up .
Call me worried but, I think I have found a setting that gets me a decent hash rate with temps below 60c. 300 with the current set up that I have will yield 59 and 57 degrees on the blades but within the first hour or so I get 1 hardware error and over the course of a day and a half (36hours) I have 12 hardware errors. Now, I am powering this miner with a high quality 80 gold 650watt power supply.

first of all, are 12 hardware errors over the course of 36 hours ok for the miner? does that seem a bit high? I suppose the cooler I get the less likely the hardware errors will be produced. I am getting two new noctua nf-f12 fans, one at 3000rpm (push) and one at 2000rpm (pull) to replace my current setup as the wife has finally said the miner it too loud and producing too much heat.

I am asking about hardware errors again because I noticed that when I first set the miner to 300 it performed at just over 1Th/s and now it is working at just under 1Th/s. Do hardware errors effect hash rate?

The number of HW errors is not important. It's the percentage. HW errors are a GOOD thing for ASICs. It means your ASIC is being pushed to its limits for speed. Generally there is a tradeoff early on. Going from 0 to 1% HW errors results in a 5-15% increase in speed. and that takes about a hour to even out or become stable.

Future increases generally have smaller gains. Good ASIC firmware will automatically push the clocks up on ASICs to maximize the effective hash rate. but if it goes over a certain %  that is bad, for the S5 i think the safe % is 0.388 or some thing like that . mine never go over 0.02 that's  for days not mins or hours and i OC with a 750 gold psu or higher on all my S5, I'm not pushing OCing just saying even at 300 i would use a 750 or higher .

I would buy a 750 Watt psu gold . that gives you a lot of head room, but that's me. That  may even be why the high temps it's  not supplying enough power to keep it cool, when it needs it. I may be wrong. i  can't say I all ways over kill on PSUs  not to much but just enough that it's not a waste .

How did you calculate the number? 0.388% of what?

Thanks!

I would do what they are asking you to do above there might be some thing wrong.  

I would think for the S5 it would be about the same, for any ASIC miner that advice some one gave me a while back i couldn't get it in my head why there was any to start with till i reed that , i only give it out when i see some one is having a hard time trying to understand just how HW errors work .it all depends on the miner and speed . some speeds may give better HW errors while other speeds may give worse HW errors and others will tell you that to. and 0.388 is the danger sigh to watch for any thing below that you more then likely are fine and make sure there is no xxxx  were there should be all 00000 across form each blade . I would show a image but have yet to figure out how to on the forums, I'm  not one to ask , I'm hard headed on stuff like that and only ask if I need it.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Can you load balance on these again?  My brother wants to buy half a miner with me, and we want to make sure we can split the hashrate 50/50 to both of our pools, also any other variation split 40/60 and/or 30/70?

Thanks,

DebitMe

you can but you have to edit some files on the  miner with SHH or WinSCP i haven't figured out which ones hold the setting it's not like the S3 or lower you could set the /usr/bin/ CGMIner file to --balance on a line  Polly still can but haven't had a need to balance farm yet these things are nice just farming straight up bit coins.

Edit as of 17th Feb: Don't do this, it'll only cause you trouble / likely to brick.

Thanks,

DebitMe

you can but you have to edit some files on the  miner with SSH or WinSCP i haven't figured out which ones hold the setting it's not like the S3 or lower you could set the /usr/bin/ CGMIner file to --balance on a line  Polly still can but haven't had a need to balance farm yet these things are nice just farming straight up bit coins.

This use to be the old way

cd /etc/init.d
 vi cgminer 

which is no longer there my bad above was wrong for the S3 and below.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

Future increases generally have smaller gains. Good ASIC firmware will automatically push the clocks up on ASICs to maximize the effective hash rate. but if it goes over a certain %  that is bad, for the S5 i think the safe % is 0.388 or some thing like that . mine never go over 0.02 that's  for days not mins or hours and i OC with a 750 gold psu or higher on all my S5, I'm not pushing OCing just saying even at 300 i would use a 750 or higher .

I would buy a 750 Watt psu gold . that gives you a lot of head room, but that's me. That  may even be why the high temps it's  not supplying enough power to keep it cool, when it needs it. I may be wrong . i  can't say I all ways over kill on  PSUs  not to much but just enough that it's not a waste .

How did you calculate the number? 0.388% of what?

Thanks!
Activity: 22

Can you PM us the snapshot of the miner status page? So that we could help you further.

Activity: 24

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1012
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

Thanks,

DebitMe
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
@727miner,

We got your message!  Please submit a ticket via a link in the PM so we can even more expedite for you!

Sorry for the trouble.

PS: the url in the PM is a different ticket system that speed things up a bit.  It goes direct to our tech staffs around the world who are linked back to US & EU Operations.
Activity: 543
Merit: 500
I have an S5 that I received last week that has a dead blade. What's the best way to RMA it? I'm located in the US.

I assume you've gone through all the debugging you can do, including:

Did you try to switch to a different port on the control board? I read somewhere that switching to a different port on the control board fix a dead board.

If you bought it from Bitmain they will warranty it. If you bought it from a reseller you have to go back to the reseller.

Yeah, got it straight from Bitmain China. I sent their support an email, hope to hear back soon.

You can usually get a quicker response for US RMAs if you PM BitmainWarranty to arrange an RMA. Be sure to link to your post describing the issues, what type and how many miners you wish to have repaired/replaced and your bitmaintech.com order number. Via the ticket system it has to worm its way one more step to an agent who is in the US. The BitmainWarranty team is mostly US so they're quicker.

Thanks, I tried the other port on the controller but that didn't help. Sometimes the Blade comes up after a reboot but only shows half O's and the hash rate is still about half the normal rate. I PM'd BitmainWarranty to see if they can help out too.

What power supply is it running on?

EVGA 1300 G2 (two S5s on it, non-overclocked).
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I have an S5 that I received last week that has a dead blade. What's the best way to RMA it? I'm located in the US.

Did you try to switch to a different port on the control board? I read somewhere that switching to a different port on the control board fix a dead board.

If you bought it from Bitmain they will warranty it. If you bought it from a reseller you have to go back to the reseller.

Yeah, got it straight from Bitmain China. I sent their support an email, hope to hear back soon.

You can usually get a quicker response for US RMAs if you PM BitmainWarranty to arrange an RMA. Be sure to link to your post describing the issues, what type and how many miners you wish to have repaired/replaced and your bitmaintech.com order number. Via the ticket system it has to worm its way one more step to an agent who is in the US. The BitmainWarranty team is mostly US so they're quicker.

Thanks, I tried the other port on the controller but that didn't help. Sometimes the Blade comes up after a reboot but only shows half O's and the hash rate is still about half the normal rate. I PM'd BitmainWarranty to see if they can help out too.

What power supply is it running on?
Activity: 543
Merit: 500

Activity: 261
Merit: 257
From personal experience you will not be able to run (2) S5 units in overclock on a single 1300 G2. I own both 1300s and the 1200xi as well.

Many other users are running 2x S5s off a 1300 G2. Its not even 80% load?

I'm running 2 - S5 at 362.5 off a single EVGA 1300 both averaging about 1.195 TH/s over the last 5 days.  Potential caveat: the 1300 is attached to 240v and the S5's are sitting at about 4 Celsius ambient.
In fact I've actually managed to run 2x S5's not overclocked off the 1000 watt variant(not long term) without an issue(EVGA PSUs put out more watts than they are rated for), the 1300 should work fine for two and has a little headroom for overlock.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
From personal experience you will not be able to run (2) S5 units in overclock on a single 1300 G2. I own both 1300s and the 1200xi as well.

Many other users are running 2x S5s off a 1300 G2. Its not even 80% load?

I'm running 2 - S5 at 362.5 off a single EVGA 1300 both averaging about 1.195 TH/s over the last 5 days.  Potential caveat: the 1300 is attached to 240v and the S5's are sitting at about 4 Celsius ambient.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 44

Jump to: