Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 189. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Back to fans. Noctura nf-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

But I can't figure out why the s5 needs to be below 60c? Most computers run at or over 60c. The over temp cutoff is software set at 80c. I do get some hw but over a 12 hr period and from what Ive read some hw is ok but when does it become an issue?

Noctua NF-12 description says 41db, but the actual dB emitting from this fan are more like 55-56dB at 1ft distance.
It is tolerable in the same office at 2-5ft distance, but I would certainly not call it quiet.
In another room 20 or more ft away-it is totally fine even with an open door (barely discernible)
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Back to fans. Noctura not-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

But I can't figure out why the s5 needs to be below 60c? Most computers run at or over 60c. The over temp cutoff is software set at 80c. I do get some hw but over a 12 hr period and from what Ive read some hw is ok but when does it become an issue?
Unlike the Spondoolies or Hashfast chips (or your CPU) the S5s don't have a thermal diode right on the chip. The temperature sensor is on the back side of the board, and so is really measuring the temperature of the PCB. It's unknown (at least to me) what a good rule of thumb is for mapping die temperature to the temp sensor reading, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be a decent bit higher than what the unit says.

Ok, so like most temp sensors, there is a variance and to error on the side of hot is better. Ok so my s5 running at 55 and 58 are probably running more like 60 and 65. But hardware errors? What causes them to occur and why would they occur at temps in the safe zone with no overclock, underclock say at 275Mhz? The miner still functions with hardware errors and they are less frequent than with my antminer U3. I guess the goal is 0 hardware errors =stability but 0 hardware errors = cooler temps in the below 60c range and that is where fans come in.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Back to fans. Noctura not-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

Unlike the Spondoolies or Hashfast chips (or your CPU) the S5s don't have a thermal diode right on the chip. The temperature sensor is on the back side of the board, and so is really measuring the temperature of the PCB. It's unknown (at least to me) what a good rule of thumb is for mapping die temperature to the temp sensor reading, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be a decent bit higher than what the unit says.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
It's the one below the one I posted, though it doesn't have the exact model as the one in the auction.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4747.pdf
You don't happen to have a laser tachometer you could use to measure the RPM, do you?
I actually looked at that but, as you correctly point out, since it did not have the exact model number, I discounted it .... seems correct though.

..... laser tachometer ... I hate giving negative answers, but, no I don't have one. On a positive note though, yes you are right by implication that I do not get any RPM readings on either of the rigs I run the TA500DC fans on (could not get one connecting the orange or other wire ... must be something I did wrong!)
Activity: 24
Back to fans. Noctura nf-f12 is supposed to be a quiet 120mm with speeds up to 3000rpm. From reading all this, noise is the issue but you have to decide if you want speed or noise. The faster the s5 hashes the louder the fan because in order to keep the s5 in working temps (below 60) you have to push a lot of air and have the s5 is an ideal location. If you want a quiet fan then you need to sacrifice hash speed because the air displacement from fan has to exceed the heat generated to keep the s5 cool. This has been my struggle.

legendary
For longer blades, I was talking about the Nidec. It's a 38mm deep fan at least according to the one datasheet I saw, but 5" (127mm) so the blades would be a little longer. The exact model wasn't in there, so it might be that the A34538 is a deeper fan. Do you have a DS for it?

Edit: That might actually make sense.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4546.pdf
All the fans in there are AXX3XX models. The AXX5XX could be 50mm vs 38mm versions.
Sorry, do not have the datasheet.
The exact model I am running is AX34538-90 as read from the sticker (and I believe that is the same in the link I gave), and it is definitely NOT a 38mm form-factor .... more like a 50mm one.
I am popping out for a while to pick my kids from school but will look again when I get back and update you.

Just looked at the directory of the datasheets and it seems there is no datasheet for the TA500DC .... probably these were made on order for Compaq only?! The only ones I've ever seen are all branded with the Compaq tag ..... so that may be the case.

Datasheet directory link: http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/ (from your link above).

But hey, you can pick this fan up for ~ $5 + shipping and the resistor for the mod is ~ $1 ...... who needs a datasheet?
It's the one below the one I posted, though it doesn't have the exact model as the one in the auction.
http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/c2003_4747.pdf
You don't happen to have a laser tachometer you could use to measure the RPM, do you?
For longer blades, I was talking about the Nidec. It's a 38mm deep fan at least according to the one datasheet I saw, but 5" (127mm) so the blades would be a little longer. The exact model wasn't in there, so it might be that the A34538 is a deeper fan. Do you have a DS for it?

All the fans in there are AXX3XX models. The AXX5XX could be 50mm vs 38mm versions.
The exact model I am running is AX34538-90 as read from the sticker (and I believe that is the same in the link I gave), and it is definitely NOT a 38mm form-factor .... more like a 50mm one.
I am popping out for a while to pick my kids from school but will look again when I get back and update you.

Just looked at the directory of the datasheets and it seems there is no datasheet for the TA500DC .... probably these were made on order for Compaq only?! The only ones I've ever seen are all branded with the Compaq tag ..... so that may be the case.

Datasheet directory link: http://www.nidecpg.com/fanpdfs/ (from your link above).

But hey, you can pick this fan up for ~ $5 + shipping and the resistor for the mod is ~ $1 ...... who needs a datasheet?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
legendary
Anyone tried this fan in the S5 to replace the stock fan?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-Delta-120mm-12cm-PWM-TFC1212DE-252CFM-12038-DC-12V-cooling-fans-/171668885436?

It has a very high air flow with claimed RPM of 5000. Sounds like a good upgrade.

these fans use 4A of current-this is quite a lot. I am not sure that they can be run off of the 4 pin connector on the top of the miner-maybe someone can comment on this.
they could be run from the PSU directly through molex adapter, but then they will always blast at the maximum speed (no PWM)

You could always pull the 12V and ground lines from the SATA/Peripheral/Minifit connector and keep the PWM and tach signals on the 0.1" fan connector.

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-Delta-120mm-12cm-PWM-TFC1212DE-252CFM-12038-DC-12V-cooling-fans-/171668885436?

It has a very high air flow with claimed RPM of 5000. Sounds like a good upgrade.

these fans use 4A of current-this is quite a lot. I am not sure that they can be run off of the 4 pin connector on the top of the miner-maybe someone can comment on this.
they could be run from the PSU directly through molex adapter, but then they will always blast at the maximum speed (no PWM)
legendary

What would be the reason to try these? Being 38mm form-factor, the noise they emit has to exceed the stock fan noise.
The stock fan is 38mm.
I know it is, and so is the suggested alternative .... but the Nidec TA 500DC is a bigger form factor thus deeper fins
The wording was a little confused, it seemed to suggest that the replacement TFC would be louder because it was 38mm. Do you mean longer blades? That would be true. Have you gotten good results with the larger Nidec fans? If you have to hack up the fan to get it to fit, it seems like it might be more trouble than its worth for a 6% wider fan.
You read that wrong, I was suggesting that the replacement TFC would be louder because it is the same form-factor (38mm) and spins faster at 5000 rpm. I am not sure the TFC has longer blades, infact, that would be a surprise if it did, however, the Nidec fan is (I think) a 50mm form factor and the fan blades are deeper. Bear in mind that the TFC and stock fan blades are a lot shorter than the 38mm form-factor suggests due to the "spoilers" that focus air pressure, however on the Nidec, aside from the guard, the rest of the space is occupied by the blade(s).

On the Nidec fans, I've got fantastic results on both the S1 and S3 (but not run it yet on the S5). I am more than sure it will yield good results as the amount of air it moves is better than a stock S3 fan running at full pelt (not scientific but observational) with the above mod. Physically, you do not have to hack it to get it to fit as it sits nicely inside the brace. Its case holes just do not match those on the S5, but I attach them using double sided tape on the rigs I run it on.
PS. Like I said, strictly speaking its not a 120mm fan, more like a 125mm fan (but it could also be a 122mm .... not sure)

What would be the reason to try these? Being 38mm form-factor, the noise they emit has to exceed the stock fan noise.
The stock fan is 38mm.
I know it is, and so is the suggested alternative .... but the Nidec TA 500DC is a bigger form factor thus deeper fins
The wording was a little confused, it seemed to suggest that the replacement TFC would be louder because it was 38mm. Do you mean longer blades? That would be true. Have you gotten good results with the larger Nidec fans? If you have to hack up the fan to get it to fit, it seems like it might be more trouble than its worth for a 6% wider fan.
You read that wrong, I was suggesting that the replacement TFC would be louder because it is the same form-factor (38mm) and spins faster at 5000 rpm. I am not sure the TFC has longer blades, infact, that would be a surprise if it did, however, the Nidec fan is (I think) a 50mm form factor and the fan blades are deeper. Bear in mind that the TFC and stock fan blades are a lot shorter than the 38mm form-factor suggests due to the "spoilers" that focus air pressure, however on the Nidec, aside from the guard, the rest of the space is occupied by the blade(s).

On the Nidec fans, I've got fantastic results on both the S1 and S3 (but not run it yet on the S5). I am more than sure it will yield good results as the amount of air it moves is better than a stock S3 fan running at full pelt (not scientific but observational) with the above mod. Physically, you do not have to hack it to get it to fit as it sits nicely inside the brace. Its case holes just do not match those on the S5, but I attach them using double sided tape on the rigs I run it on.
PS. Like I said, strictly speaking its not a 120mm fan, more like a 125mm fan (but it could also be a 122mm .... not sure)
legendary

The stock fan is 38mm.

The stock fan is 38mm.
legendary

The stock fan is 38mm.

Try these out ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-4-Compaq-Nidec-Beta-V-TA500DC-A34538-90-Proliant-Fan-with-Dual-Housings-/251820064274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa1a53e12

Strictly speaking, these are not 120mm fans and the holes do not match up with the holes on the S5 mount, but they'll sit nicely inside the brace of the fan on an S5 (even S1 and S3), couple that with a slight mod (using this resistor: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/wirewound-3-watt-33-ohm-resistor-w3r3 on the +ve line) plus double sided tape to hold them in position and you'll get a humming rig with more than enough CFM. If you put them in a pull configuration, the pressure will also help hold them in place.
PS. All the mod does is reduce the voltage to ~7 volts (and thus cut its noise dramatically), so if you have a source with that voltage, use that!

You'll need to strip all the housing off and remain with just the fan.
legendary

I have a bunch of them sitting on my shelf, they're beasts.
Activity: 2

I have ordered my first S5. Got to see how mining works with them. I have been mining with GPUs now for over a year.

Do you think it is more profitable to switch from GPU mining to ASIC mining via Antminer S5 for example? I don't have to pay for electricity anyways.
Therefore I could sell my GPUs (6x R9 280x and 3x r9 290) and switch them for ASICs. But lately GPU mining is dieing so hard. It was fun early, when coinlaunches were made. But there are so less coinlaunches in last time because of all the scams. The cards have been running on Nicehash since over 2-3 months now.
With free electric, it definitely is more profitable to mine with ASICs than GPU's. If I were you, and seeing you are already with nicehash, I'd get a couple more S5's ..... then you'll be making some serious returns in comparison with your GPU rigs ..... my 2 cents.
Jump to: