Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 191. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001
I've posted a guide on how we've configured our Antminer S5 Units - by clustering them on a small in expensive shelving unit and mounting them vertically.

We're able to keep temps well under 60C - and overclock to 393.75.

The vertical config works great - and we are only using a single fan system for cooling. (Delta Replacement Fan).

Here's a link to the Guide:    https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10356519

Cheers!

Strato

...and you're giving us only diagrams?  We don't need no stinking drawings.  We want to see actual pron pictures/photos.  Grin

Anyway, these were my pron offerings wherein the miners are doing the PSUs dogie style:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8227268
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8471571

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Today I added a Delta AFC1212DE which has 148cfm at 3900 rpm which is being run through molex so it's going full speed. I also have a second fan running in a pull configuration at 1800 rpm. But for some odd reason Row 1 is 58 degrees and row two is 44. There is A LOT of air being pushed and pulled through this miner, why is one side way hotter? Should I RMA? I've only been running it for 5 days. I should also add I'm running it at the stock 350 setting. So no overclocking. Also the temperature in the garage is 58 degrees Fahrenheit / 14 degrees Celsius.

EDIT 1: It has now started restarting mining every 7 minutes or so. It will be at 1Th then all of a sudden drop to 0 and then start to climb back up. There are no X's.

As others have said, nothing wrong with the temp delta between the two boards, its quite common and a product of a not very accurate measurement system. It does what it needs to though. What power supply are you using, the controller rebooting rather than blades dropping or X'ing is rather uncommon.

I can't remember the brand but It's 850W Bronze. That should be more than enough right?

Not necessarily, being 80%+ efficiency doesn't guarantee its suitability for bitcoin / S5 mining. Please try and find the exact model, as its the first point of debugging for your problems.

EVGA Supernova 850 B2 Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze Certified 850W is the PSU.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Today I added a Delta AFC1212DE which has 148cfm at 3900 rpm which is being run through molex so it's going full speed. I also have a second fan running in a pull configuration at 1800 rpm. But for some odd reason Row 1 is 58 degrees and row two is 44. There is A LOT of air being pushed and pulled through this miner, why is one side way hotter? Should I RMA? I've only been running it for 5 days. I should also add I'm running it at the stock 350 setting. So no overclocking. Also the temperature in the garage is 58 degrees Fahrenheit / 14 degrees Celsius.

EDIT 1: It has now started restarting mining every 7 minutes or so. It will be at 1Th then all of a sudden drop to 0 and then start to climb back up. There are no X's.

Hi,

I too had similar experience as quoted, however mine did not restart every 7 mins. When I first got my S5, it was working flawlessly for good 2 days. Then the hashing rate would gradually drop and eventually to 0 and restart. Its left at default freq of 350, temp was around 54 in the mornings and 56 highest during the day. Its powered by a CoolerMaster v1000 PSU which is running cool all day.

I turned it off for 5 mins and started again but after running around 30 mins or so it will happen again. I have another 2 units of C1 running 24/7 which does not seems to have any problem, so I guess that rules out the internet connection possibility. I inspected the blades but could not find any burned or damages. The time it takes to enter the reboot cycle is not consistant, at times it happens in a few minutes or sometimes a few hours. I got my S5 via the DHGATE link at Bitmain's site together with a friend and he too has the same problem. Currently to get stability, we ran the freq at 300 and 325 respectively.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Please can you try and take a screenshot of the S5's status page when you're getting degraded performance? What firmware version are you on - it should look like a date.

How can I tell what firmware version I have now? - Navigate to System -> Overview and look at "File System Version".
legendary
dogiecoin.com

As others have said, nothing wrong with the temp delta between the two boards, its quite common and a product of a not very accurate measurement system. It does what it needs to though. What power supply are you using, the controller rebooting rather than blades dropping or X'ing is rather uncommon.

I can't remember the brand but It's 850W Bronze. That should be more than enough right?

Not necessarily, being 80%+ efficiency doesn't guarantee its suitability for bitcoin / S5 mining. Please try and find the exact model, as its the first point of debugging for your problems.
Activity: 2

Hi,

I too had similar experience as quoted, however mine did not restart every 7 mins. When I first got my S5, it was working flawlessly for good 2 days. Then the hashing rate would gradually drop and eventually to 0 and restart. Its left at default freq of 350, temp was around 54 in the mornings and 56 highest during the day. Its powered by a CoolerMaster v1000 PSU which is running cool all day.

I turned it off for 5 mins and started again but after running around 30 mins or so it will happen again. I have another 2 units of C1 running 24/7 which does not seems to have any problem, so I guess that rules out the internet connection possibility. I inspected the blades but could not find any burned or damages. The time it takes to enter the reboot cycle is not consistant, at times it happens in a few minutes or sometimes a few hours. I got my S5 via the DHGATE link at Bitmain's site together with a friend and he too has the same problem. Currently to get stability, we ran the freq at 300 and 325 respectively.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

legendary
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Nothing un-usual about the 58, 48 temp readings (mine has 44, 50 at night-time and up to 52, 59 day-time with just an S3 fan), but worrying in your instance are the restarts .... you need to get in touch with some-one directly at bitmain.
Activity: 777
Merit: 1003
Can you PM me or post back here in a few days how you get on with that, its an.... interesting result which may be useful. Is that an RM1000 I see?

Yeah I thought it was interesting too, that is why I posted it.

If something happens I'll let you know, but still going great right now.

RM750

I use all Corsair for my miners.
RM750 for each S5
RM850 for each set of two S3's
RM1000 for each set of two S3+'s

legendary
dogiecoin.com
I had an interesting thing happen with one of my S5's

I had it running for about a week, then one of the boards stopped working - all x

I rebooted it and it started back up for about 15 minutes and died again, after another reboot it just showed all -

So I figured the one board dies and I would let it keep going with the other board, but as it ran the hash rate would drop for the next 20 minutes down to 0. Reboots would bring it back then about 20 minutes later it would be 0 again.

Frustrated, I shut it off and left it for two days.

This morning I decided to take a look at it. I pulled the cover on both sides and did not see any signs of anything burning/frying etc. I unplugged the power to each board one at a time and powering on to determine the bad one. Then I decided to try changing the plug on the controller board, unplugged it from the outer socket and plugged into the inner one. Upon powering back on both boards started hashing and have been happily humming along for the last 6 hours.

Can you PM me or post back here in a few days how you get on with that, its an.... interesting result which may be useful. Is that an RM1000 I see?
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
I've posted a guide on how we've configured our Antminer S5 Units - by clustering them on a small in expensive shelving unit and mounting them vertically.

The vertical config works great - and we are only using a single fan system for cooling. (Delta Replacement Fan).

Here's a link to the Guide:    https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10356519

Cheers!

Strato

Great ideas.  Thank you.  That is also presented very well.  Good work!
Activity: 777
Merit: 1003
I had an interesting thing happen with one of my S5's

I had it running for about a week, then one of the boards stopped working - all x

I rebooted it and it started back up for about 15 minutes and died again, after another reboot it just showed all -

So I figured the one board dies and I would let it keep going with the other board, but as it ran the hash rate would drop for the next 20 minutes down to 0. Reboots would bring it back then about 20 minutes later it would be 0 again.

Frustrated, I shut it off and left it for two days.

This morning I decided to take a look at it. I pulled the cover on both sides and did not see any signs of anything burning/frying etc. I unplugged the power to each board one at a time and powering on to determine the bad one. Then I decided to try changing the plug on the controller board, unplugged it from the outer socket and plugged into the inner one. Upon powering back on both boards started hashing and have been happily humming along for the last 6 hours.

Activity: 11
Is anyone having issues SSHing into their S5? I can't seem to accomplish this, although i'd had no issues w/ the S1 or S3.

I changed the WebUI login password, but i've tried root/root as well as root/mypass.

I didn't see any options in the WebUI to enable/disable SSH access.

edit: I found it... root/admin. I think the 2nd post in this thread says to use root/root. dogie, should this be updated?
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

Cheers!

Strato

Nice concepts applied there, aka pointing the rigs up, though I suppose it limits the number of rigs in a space as you can not then stack another set atop them.

Looking forward to your forthcoming guide ..... had a glimpse of the initial thread before the party pooper reared its ugly head!
You could still stack. You would just need to block and vent 100% of the exhaust from each level.

But the unit also takes up 50% of its normal footprint when vertical.

So that considering as well.

Strato
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Cheers!

Strato

Nice concepts applied there, aka pointing the rigs up, though I suppose it limits the number of rigs in a space as you can not then stack another set atop them.

Looking forward to your forthcoming guide ..... had a glimpse of the initial thread before the party pooper reared its ugly head!
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
       PSU A        PSU B

b1 b2          b1 b2         b1 b2
S5               S5             S5

Each PSU powers their own S5, then shares an S5 by each powering a blade.
hopefully this clarifies it a bit so people dont plug both PSUs into the sockets on a single blade
legendary

Cheers!

Strato
legendary
Ok far too many posts - both in the threads and on my profile as well! Wink

Someone was really kind and gave me advice on how to use "TWO" PSU units to power "THREE" S5 Units.

Basically using 2 850s or 2 1000s and then running 3 miners of them.

Does anyone here remember the correct wiring to do so? Is it you simply dont power a single blade/side from two miners? 

Sorry; I've scanned through like 20 pages and can't find it - and search is currently disabled.

Thanks!

Strato
Just run PSU A to S5 X and one blade of S5 Y, then run the other blade of S5 Y and S5 Z off of PSU B.

PSU A    PSU B

| |          | |         | |
S5           S5         S5

Perfect thanks - we ended up giving it a shot that way and it's perfect.  Thanks for the help!

Strato
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Ok far too many posts - both in the threads and on my profile as well! Wink

Someone was really kind and gave me advice on how to use "TWO" PSU units to power "THREE" S5 Units.

Basically using 2 850s or 2 1000s and then running 3 miners of them.

Does anyone here remember the correct wiring to do so? Is it you simply dont power a single blade/side from two miners? 

Sorry; I've scanned through like 20 pages and can't find it - and search is currently disabled.

Thanks!

Strato
Just run PSU A to S5 X and one blade of S5 Y, then run the other blade of S5 Y and S5 Z off of PSU B.

PSU A    PSU B

| |          | |         | |
S5           S5         S5

Jump to: