Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 193. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
would like to report strange behavior.  

i have a set up with cold air being taken from outside and vented back out.  

seems the miners cant handle being TOO COLD??  

i had several s3 and s5 stop working because they were TOO COLD!

the s5 one board reports 0 degrees and does not hash.  restarting it or warming it up fixes the no hashing.  the s3's report a temp of 251 degrees and stop hashing all together until removed from the enclosure and warmed back up.  

please advise.  

thank you.
If you are keeping the PSU's in the same enclosure (and hopefully giving them a decent load), make sure they just circulate the air rather than vent it, that may sort your problem. I think your PSU's fail before the the rigs shutdown.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0

the s5 one board reports 0 degrees and does not hash.  restarting it or warming it up fixes the no hashing.  the s3's report a temp of 251 degrees and stop hashing all together until removed from the enclosure and warmed back up.  

please advise.  

thank you.

Don't vent back outside or don't vent all of them back outside and you should be fine. My ambient intake temps are -5 C but I vent into my basement for extra heat and since all the heat doesn't make it to the basement it keeps the miner room just warm enough to keep them running at a stable temp.
Activity: 742
251 might be 251-256= -5degrees Celsius Grin

What do you expect when normal operating temps should be between 0 and 35 Celsius!
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I replaced the fan with below and added a 2nd (push / pull) in the rear. Cools fine and a lot quieter than stock fan configuration. Fan comes with extra long connector for 3 or 4 prong. Plugs right up and reads and controls as 2nd. fan.

>snip images<

cool. I thought that silverstone 140 mmm does not fit and needs to be cut. Did it fit well without any cutting of shroud both in front and back?
tss
Activity: 742

please advise.  

thank you.
Activity: 546
I replaced the fan with below and added a 2nd (push / pull) in the rear. Cools fine and a lot quieter than stock fan configuration. Fan comes with extra long connector for 3 or 4 prong. Plugs right up and reads and controls as 2nd. fan.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I posted numerous post on how to get the fan noise down and looks like no one even read it. Now you guys are trying ridiculous mods to bring down fan speed instead of using common sense!
I asked you a question regarding your "shroud" mod a few pages back, but didn't receive an answer.  I'm trying again.  You achieved a decent noise level reduction by installing the shroud, which judging from your photo also removed the finger guard.  Given that removing the finger guard alone reduces the noise level, did you check how much reduction resulted from each of the two changes?  That would be helpful to know!  Thanks!

the finger guard can be moved away from the fan by 10 to 15 mm.  use a few longer bolts and some spacers 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121180151493?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=420174093770&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have concluded that the s-5 can run long term at freq 412  with 2 delta fans at 60db at under 20 bucks.

my error rate is 99.9648 good and 0.0352 bad.

my gh is 1331  my watts are 686 counting the extra fans  this is 0.514 watts per gh
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
I posted numerous post on how to get the fan noise down and looks like no one even read it. Now you guys are trying ridiculous mods to bring down fan speed instead of using common sense!
I asked you a question regarding your "shroud" mod a few pages back, but didn't receive an answer.  I'm trying again.  You achieved a decent noise level reduction by installing the shroud, which judging from your photo also removed the finger guard.  Given that removing the finger guard alone reduces the noise level, did you check how much reduction resulted from each of the two changes (shroud with guard, shroud w/o guard)?  That would be helpful to know!  Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized you responded to my earlier question with a PM.  Sorry I missed it, please ignore this post!
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
I guess I'm an idiot then since I didn't go out and waste money on a second fan, remove the shroud so junk can get sucked into the miner and potentially snap a fan blade (trust me they're fragile, received one broken during shipping). Been running lanfeusst's modified fan control file for about 24 hours now on one of my miners, RPM's still holding steady at 3360 and temps in the mid 50s and happy to report no spontaneous combustion has occurred. Oh and I've been and Engineer for 20+ years and have somehow survived more than 2 days at every job. Keep up the good work lanfeusst.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
yea right dogie you still did not explain how to do it because you really don't know.
He heard a rumour ..... and unless he heard it before you, then it'll void your warranty. BE VERY SCARED! Shocked

Agreed he works for BITMAIN maybe this is there way of making more money. If they tell dogie then dogie tells everyone else then they will see a lot of s5 controller boards lol.

Activity: 518
yea right dogie you still did not explain how to do it because you really don't know.
He heard a rumour ..... and unless he heard it before you, then it'll void your warranty. BE VERY SCARED! Shocked

As its a custom firmware, there is always a chance it can brick and then you'll have to send your controller in to be reflashed.

It is very "convenient" for final consumers. Why don't Bitmain issue a technique of reflashing the controller at home in case of any failures?

I forgot, you already can on S5s. The SD card slot IS active with special images, and when an SD card image is used, it replaces the flash firmware. I haven't personally tried it and haven't needed to walk anyone else through it, but I've been told it works.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
That would be a great idea.

Maybe Bitmain should have a manual or list of things that would state what actions would void the warranty.
Changing fans with less than x CFM.
If changing or modifity the firmware.
if OCing the device.

i know these units can OC well, but some users/owners dont factor in the effects of OCing.

In the end we will know what will/might/will not be covered under warranty.

Consider ANY hardware mod (unless directed to do so by Bitmain employee / me), ANY unofficial software / software mods and ANY overclocking to void the warranty.

Then, is this considered official?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10333642

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that that code is in the released firmware, or just on github.

It's in the release... for the S4 at least, coz setting --bitmain-homemode does slow the fan down.

I can't set a precedence on that so still assume it will invalidate the warranty.
Yes slow down your fan and burn up your S5 in three easy steps lol lol lol  Grin Grin Grin Grin Tongue

I posted numerous post on how to get the fan noise down and looks like no one even read it. Now you guys are trying ridiculous mods to bring down fan speed instead of using common sense! You guys would not last two days in a Engineering field. Reading some post makes me LMAO!

Activity: 248
Are we there yet?

Maybe Bitmain should have a manual or list of things that would state what actions would void the warranty.
if OCing the device.

i know these units can OC well, but some users/owners dont factor in the effects of OCing.

Consider ANY hardware mod (unless directed to do so by Bitmain employee / me), ANY unofficial software / software mods and ANY overclocking to void the warranty.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that that code is in the released firmware, or just on github.

It's in the release... for the S4 at least, coz setting --bitmain-homemode does slow the fan down.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

if OCing the device.

Activity: 248
Are we there yet?

if OCing the device.

legendary
dogiecoin.com

if OCing the device.

legendary
dogiecoin.com

As its a custom firmware, there is always a chance it can brick and then you'll have to send your controller in to be reflashed.

It is very "convenient" for final consumers. Why don't Bitmain issue a technique of reflashing the controller at home in case of any failures?

I forgot, you already can on S5s. The SD card slot IS active with special images, and when an SD card image is used, it replaces the flash firmware. I haven't personally tried it and haven't needed to walk anyone else through it, but I've been told it works.
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
PM SENT

Can I buy several controller boards seperately, just to have some spare parts for S5 owners here in Russia?
Jump to: