Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 196. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
What offer to put that ram heatsink??
Will have more speed?
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Dear Bitmain,

I understand you guys/gals are really really busy and it's probably just an oversight Tongue

When BTC started rising the price of the S4/S5 went up, when it continued to rise they both went up again.

Now that BTC has dropped back down to it's previous level, the prices have remained the same which makes your products much worse value than a week ago.

No need to thank me for alerting you to this, you are welcome

Regards
Tigggger
Exactly.  Price should continue to plummet not plummet upwards.  Are these gold plated limited edition models?
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I am guessing that replacing the stock fan voids the warranty. I wonder if that was planned- that by using a fan that users would obviously replace, would reduce warranty claims. Or is the warranty still in effect?

Strato

How on earth can Bitmain prove that you switched the stock fan for a fan which produces less noise.
Please tell?

It was just a question. Wink Perhaps some people cut the connector off the stock fan to hard wire a new fan that came with bare leads. The question I think is relevant.

Strato

yeah, there was a picture of these somehwere   Grin
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010
I am guessing that replacing the stock fan voids the warranty. I wonder if that was planned- that by using a fan that users would obviously replace, would reduce warranty claims. Or is the warranty still in effect?

Strato

How on earth can Bitmain prove that you switched the stock fan for a fan which produces less noise.
Please tell?

It was just a question. Wink Perhaps some people cut the connector off the stock fan to hard wire a new fan that came with bare leads. The question I think is relevant.

Strato
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
is this what happens when it reaches 80 C or does this mean that it went above 80 C?  The unit still turns on and I can see that I have it set to turn off if it reaches 80 C, but it doesnt look like it did Sad

The unit powers on and I can get to it via the network but it wont hash - I figured it out when I took the sides off and found the burned board.

I dont have any thermal events on my other miners.

Ooohh, that's why I'm about to glue a little radiators exactly on all of those capacitors (since they are marked as C12, C25 and so on whan you look at PCB). I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

donator
Activity: 1890
Parental Advisory Explicit Content

Strato

Please tell?
legendary
Activity: 1022

Strato
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Gotcha. Strange thing to have it at once on the both sides
I agree .... which makes me think PSU.

ya, fan turns on - I am using a Thermaltake 850W 80 PLUS Bronze

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Bronze-ATX12V-EPS12V-SP-850M/dp/B007BDJ58C
That looks OK ..... if you happen to get an explanation out of bitmain (I am sure it is still within its warranty), do tell.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Hi Bitmain,

The S5 is $0.32/GH without shipping; not $0.25.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0

ya, fan turns on - I am using a Thermaltake 850W 80 PLUS Bronze

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Bronze-ATX12V-EPS12V-SP-850M/dp/B007BDJ58C
legendary
Activity: 1098
Dear Bitmain,

I understand you guys/gals are really really busy and it's probably just an oversight Tongue

When BTC started rising the price of the S4/S5 went up, when it continued to rise they both went up again.

Now that BTC has dropped back down to it's previous level, the prices have remained the same which makes your products much worse value than a week ago.

No need to thank me for alerting you to this, you are welcome

Regards
Tigggger
Activity: 742
Is the fan still working? looking at the sides i guess the fan is dead or something was wrong with the ventilation
Activity: 381
Merit: 251

This is just one hashing board right?
Disconnect it from the controller and see if the other one works
It's both ..... images of both sides have a burnt chip.
It's both ..... images of both sides have a burnt chip.
Activity: 381
Merit: 251

is this what happens when it reaches 80 C or does this mean that it went above 80 C?  The unit still turns on and I can see that I have it set to turn off if it reaches 80 C, but it doesnt look like it did Sad

The unit powers on and I can get to it via the network but it wont hash - I figured it out when I took the sides off and found the burned board.

is this what happens when it reaches 80 C or does this mean that it went above 80 C?  The unit still turns on and I can see that I have it set to turn off if it reaches 80 C, but it doesnt look like it did Sad

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w501/bond007taz/20150129_070925_zps9a3314f2.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w501/bond007taz/20150129_071133_zpsce3ee8cd.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w501/bond007taz/20150129_071246_zpsa56bbac6.jpg

I am not surprised it is not hashing anymore, string mode = one out, all out!
Looks like you had that running without any mods, i.e standard fan in push configuration, so, what PSU did you have on this?
Activity: 868
Plastic cover looks warped from heat too, yikes.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w501/bond007taz/20150129_070925_zps9a3314f2.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w501/bond007taz/20150129_071133_zpsce3ee8cd.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w501/bond007taz/20150129_071246_zpsa56bbac6.jpg
I have marked the LM75 (TEMPERATURE Sensor) Chip in the following pic. Just stick a small heatsink on top of the sensors, one on each hashing board.

If you put a heatsink on the the sensor wouldn't that make the sensor inaccurate then? I mean you're cooling the sensor but not necessarily the board.

Pretty much, hence its not recommended. There are more things that require cooling on that board than just the ASICs, and if they didn't we'd be seeing a vastly different cooling setup.

"... more things that require cooling ..." - What are these more things? They surely must have a name if they exist, and would be visible in the image too! Or is it a case of secret components that only bitmain staff know about and have been sworn to secrecy?

Truth of the matter is that cooling the LM75 results in lower reported temps thus lower fan speeds (and noise). Add to that, there are no discernible components, on the side the LM75 is sited, that require that much cooling. On the chip side, well thats got the heatsink / waterblock.

More pertinent though is that the LM75 temps are used just to govern the fans. In the case of the chip core temps, that is handled by the control-board software. So basically, if there was a substantial reduction in cooling, that would result in higher board & chip core temps and should the chip core temps exceed the thermal cutoff specified in the (obfuscated) control board code, the board would not send work to the chip(s) until the core temps fell below the thermal cutoff, and that would manifest itself in a drop of hash-speed. Clearly, that has not happened to the people who've done these mods.

So, unless you can throw more light on these ".. more things that require cooling ..", I'll just have to put it down to the usual dogie-waffle.
Jump to: