Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 138. (Read 527798 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Not quite, many of us used $150 off coupons and got delivery late last week  Grin
[/quote]

Nice one..............envious............how often do they give out these coupons and how many do you have to buy to be on that coupon list?
Activity: 895
Merit: 504

i'd rather have a stable miner with slightly lower hashrate but with minimal HW error & less heat.

Exactly this. The first thing I do with all my antminers is lower the frequency slightly - it brings down the error rate, reduces power consumption making them more efficient, they run more stable & reduces wear, prolonging their usable life span. Bitmain sell their miners tuned to the limit, but I'd rather have a slightly lower hash rate but a longer lasting & more reliable/efficient miner.

Well said, Pug!

Time to sleep everyone.  Have a good day!

btw, those who just bought b8,

you got PAWNED ! price dropped heh Huh

Not quite, many of us used $150 off coupons and got delivery late last week  Grin
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg
There is an Imgur album here with pics from a fresh S7 B8 received very recently by my "friend".
"He" prefers not to post these under his name as "he" knows BITMAIN reads this forum and does not want to ever do anything which even may be construed as a warranty violation. I told "him" my understanding of the warranty documentation has stated since the S5+ you should check that all heat sinks are in place prior to powering the unit, but better safe than sorry so "he" will remain anonymous.

I can vouch that these are from a very recent unit and although the pictures may have some very poor lighting, even some with bad blur, they were taken in a hurry as we all know a minute lost hashing time right now is an exponential slam to BTC income.

I knew several people were asking for pictures of different items on the unit. I hope this helps, but if everything has already been discovered let me know and I will remove this post.

http://slooopy.imgur.com

Check the S7 B8 album, it is shared with the public.
(If you notice anything which shouldn't be shared please let me know via PM as I would always do the same for my mining brethren)

I have several comments regarding the S7 and our beloved bitcoin. We have a long way to go and we need all hands on deck to grow as a community. Please take a few moments to read and contemplate these subjects.

Personally my S7 units have been completely babied. I monitor voltage and current draw. I've installed 3 levels of surge and HF noise protection for the main mining room. I perform a set Preventative Maintenance schedule. I am fortunate I have only seen one out of the box failure I managed to correct myself with a new fan. I give credit where it is due and in my opinion the price has been used to take advantage of the home miner at every opportunity. It is too much considering the quality, but my miners have been running since the day each one was received without downtime except for a single unit which had a bad fan.

Price set aside and my personal opinion of the hardware is that it has been a step in the right direction when compared to the S5, but as the batches rolled out I saw an increase in reliability and a better coordination of quality control with regards to the binning of chips, default settings, and my personal opinion is Batch 7 was one of the better batches in terms of reliability. IF reliability were charted I think it would be similar to looking at an AC waveform where Batch 8 is on the downswing.

My main issues are, as others have noted you must part your hair and hold your mouth just right while performing certain mining rituals with a soldering iron draped around your neck and chicken in your pants to receive the advertised hashrates. As I said I do give credit where it is due and the issues I describe with my hashrates has not been to the point of the SP20. Many know I have long preferred Spondoolies hardware, but they did quote the SP20 as a 1.7 when it should have been a 1.3 TH miner in my opinion and marketed as a underclock / overclock powerhouse. It was the flexibility and engineering of that unit which gave it the rightfully earned reputation as the top miner of its generation and when we see a manufacturer offer such to the public again with good customer service it could easily become the new King of Hardware.

I also want to take a moment to tell everyone who is having issues with their S7s, hashboards dying, long wait times for RMAs, ignored by customer service, etc that these are the things you must remember when purchasing another miner. These things add tremendous cost to your mining venture. These are things many of us have been talking about for a long time. Bitmain has not improved in these areas. Customer service is poor. Do NOT let the fanboys ever intimidate you. There is one who still makes quite a bit of coin from bullying kids in the playground. Shut him down at every opportunity so he cannot continue publishing bad information. (If you do not know who and what I mean feel free to PM me for references, as I have been collecting threads and a truck load of other information to help stop this abuse.)

There are a select few, especially one who you should always stand against in this hardware forum. Remember, there are many others with issues who are seeing people slammed by fanboy #1 who are intimidated to the point they won't even post on this forum. This drives those people away from the best resources in the world. People like Phil, sidehack, Rich, and so many more who honestly care about helping people with hardware issues. Don't just ignore the bad seeds tell him what a pos he is and show him how he is wrong when you see it. That is the only way to stop bad actors. You must show them, and your peers they have zero clues and spout regurgitated crap and only when the newer people who are lurking see you stand up will they have the confidence to ask for help.
Some people make mistakes, I know I have, and I have publicly admitted them and thanked the person who corrected me. David (DMwardJR) recently had a conversation where he learned some things about the NEC and he thanked Prelude for showing him the information and continued to educate himself by purchasing the 2014 NEC code and studying it to make sure he continues making good decisions and helps people with accurate information. That is a huge thing we all should do. Help each other and if you are incorrect, state such so we all learn from the many days of time each of us invest in our own ways. That is how we all grow together. David knows a great deal about building a farm, and his advice should be considered. I also enjoy reading the projects by Tupsu, he goes out on a ledge and tries different things and shares such with everyone. Phil is always involved in real reviews. He shows what I view as the common miner approach to what is possible, and what is correct.

There is not a single one of us who knows it all but as a community we must show the world we can police ourselves and in no way shape, or form do we need regulations from anyone, government, or company telling us what is right / wrong. Do your part by pointing out the crap when you see it. We all do not have the knowledge Rich and Jabber do. That doesn't mean we soak up what they share and there is not a use for us. There is a job for every member of this forum who regularly uses the information.

There are many more great people here with good minds than you know. There are so many people here with the simple intent to help others. Do your part by calibrating your moral compass and giving it a voice. Never assume someone else will handle it because as a group with the numbers the good people of bitcointalk Hardware section have, there are zero reasons for the bad actors to be allowed to flourish in our midst.

I have personally seen information given which could kill someone if taken literally, because the poster does not take time to research. He states whatever he wants and when called out he uses various tactics to wiggle his way around until people simply tire of listening to it and allow it to continue.

Stop the bullying, stop new miners from being given bad information and most importantly, do something to pay it forward. Who knows, you very well may be the single person to save someone's life, literally.  

Thank You for your time.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
It is 31F outside and I have 4 S7s running into the return duct of the furnace with the fan running full time.  It is 68F inside the house.  A little chilly, but maybe I will get another S7 to warm it up a little bit.  we have a 2 story 1300 SQFT house.  I love free Heat!  Grin

My wife likes the "Hot Little Beasts" now.  haha
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Anyone look at the efficiencies of the later batches?

I was talking to my buddy who has a bunch of Batch 6, 4.05TH ones running at 4.4-4.5TH but only using 1150-1190Watts at the wall with EVGA 1300G2's.
He told me a few were even clocked at 4.2TH when he received it from factory at 625MH.

So that works out to be more efficient than all the other batches, no? I'm talking about real world @ wall usage , not the BS they usually advertise.
Maybe Batch 6's are the ones to get and Batch 7-8 is to be avoided like the plague as a LOT of them are having issues.

Batch 1 uses 1210 W to get 4.86 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2490 J/GH   
Batch 2 uses 1160 W to get 4.66 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2489 J/GH
Batch 3 uses 1210 W to get 4.86 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2490 J/GH   
Batch 4 uses 1160 W to get 4.66 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2489 J/GH
Batch 5 uses 1210 W to get 4.86 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2490 J/GH   
Batch 6 uses 1042 W to get 4.05 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2572 J/GH
Batch 7 uses 1278 W to get 5.06 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2573 J/GH     
Batch 8 uses 1293 W to get 4.73 TH/s = Actual Efficiency: 0.2734 J/GH

It is all about efficiency 24 hours a day!  

Looks to me that the Efficiency is going down.

Is that actual measured watt usage or what is claimed by Bitmain.
My B1 used 1280-1290watts at full blast (Just around 4.85TH.

Hmm, that's not that good.
My B1 is at 625 with 1230-1235 watts running 5017GH/s

1235/5017 = 0.24616     Very Nice!

I think it's nice to but the HW is at 0,01

So would that be a problem on the long run? As i expect to only run it for max a year.

I think it is all a shot in the dark.  We have no proof of anyone actually running these systems for a year, but electronics (in general) want to run cool and without errors.  We as the owners of miners want to run them as profitable as possible in the form of the highest hasharate.  With that being said, the general rule that I have seen on this is that HW should be as low as possible:  0.03 or less.  I would personally "Save&Apply" to get less than this and also adjust the Frequency to get better than this. 

At this efficiency you'd be fine with 1% HW or any HW%. HW% doesnt do anything per se, its just an indication of how many share its wasting, it does not matter as in, it does not cause damage to the unit, it doesnt lose 1 HP everytime it makes an error.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523
Looks like all the hashboards on my sick s7 SEEM to work, blinking green light.
But one has zero hash.
This is running them one at a time, just disconnecting the hash cables from the controller.
If I try to run the two good ones together one hashes one has dashes.
If I try to run them all together I get a solid red light and zero hash.
So it seems to be too unstable to try and get new hash boards to try.
I will run one hashboard (1.6th) only until I have to ship for RMA.
I bit quiet in Denver on the support end.

I remember on the s5's usually just one hashboard would go and I could run the other until the replacement board came.
I wonder if you can run an s7 board from a s5 controller using the s7 chassis and fans.

I see that m's miner monitor shows both fan rpm's when running one board, but the s7 web interface only shows one fan rpm.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
2. Power Consumption: 1293W + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)

3. Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temp)

1293+10%=1422watt
legendary
Mine for a Bit

I was talking to my buddy who has a bunch of Batch 6, 4.05TH ones running at 4.4-4.5TH but only using 1150-1190Watts at the wall with EVGA 1300G2's.
He told me a few were even clocked at 4.2TH when he received it from factory at 625MH.

So that works out to be more efficient than all the other batches, no? I'm talking about real world @ wall usage , not the BS they usually advertise.
Maybe Batch 6's are the ones to get and Batch 7-8 is to be avoided like the plague as a LOT of them are having issues.

So would that be a problem on the long run? As i expect to only run it for max a year.

I think it is all a shot in the dark.  We have no proof of anyone actually running these systems for a year, but electronics (in general) want to run cool and without errors.  We as the owners of miners want to run them as profitable as possible in the form of the highest hasharate.  With that being said, the general rule that I have seen on this is that HW should be as low as possible:  0.03 or less.  I would personally "Save&Apply" to get less than this and also adjust the Frequency to get better than this. 
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
B6 backside photo https://imgur.com/sIYNhVX

Ok, so, the "30C" resistor is the 20k reference one.

and one of the "123" resistor allows you to output 10.6v.
divided by 15 chips in a string = 0.71v at the chips

1.1k resistor in place of the 1.3k will give 0.77v at the chips
1.3k resistor will give 0.65v at the chips
18k resistor in place of the 20k should also work for 0.64v at the chips
22k resistor in place of the 20k will give 0.77v at the chips

Edit, I'm aging, took me 20 minutes to figure the over/undervolt.

Does that mean i can simply slap some graphite on 30C (20k resistor) to undervolt the Antminer S7? That would be simple and interesting for the long run.

yes, it should work, but since the resistor in on board, the value you can read will be different from 20k.
So as for the good old antS1, you will need to do it by trials and errors until someone check the original value with a 20k resistor on board, and the target value with a 18k resistor (or 16k for 0.57v at the chips)

Measured voltage at the output of the coil was 10.12v, so, it's consistent with my estimate of 1.3k resistor somewhere, except that I can't find it for now.
I just modded 2 boards, one with 22k resistor, one with 16k resistor.
Let's see how it works
this should be very interesting  I would love to see an s-7 running at .19 watts per gh

For now the efficiency is more than sufficient, imo. Especially at the current profitability, but in a year, after the halving when these become equivalent to a S3, this will be a pretty nice bonus to keep them running a bit longer.
yes to be able to drop from .27 to .19 will give them added life.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Does that mean i can simply slap some graphite on 30C (20k resistor) to undervolt the Antminer S7? That would be simple and interesting for the long run.

yes, it should work, but since the resistor in on board, the value you can read will be different from 20k.
So as for the good old antS1, you will need to do it by trials and errors until someone check the original value with a 20k resistor on board, and the target value with a 18k resistor (or 16k for 0.57v at the chips)

Measured voltage at the output of the coil was 10.12v, so, it's consistent with my estimate of 1.3k resistor somewhere, except that I can't find it for now.
Let's see how it works
this should be very interesting  I would love to see an s-7 running at .19 watts per gh

For now the efficiency is more than sufficient, imo. Especially at the current profitability, but in a year, after the halving when these become equivalent to a S3, this will be a pretty nice bonus to keep them running a bit longer.
legendary

Let's see how it works
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

Let's see how it works
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Need Help! Huh

I finally got my new 220v outlets installed to start up my S7s today. One of them I got on and configured no problem. The other S7 doesnt turn on at all, no lights, nothing. The power supply sound goes on. I am using the power supplies BITMAIN sells. What are the troubleshooting steps? What are the possibilities that could be wrong?

Also whats should the frequency be set for the one that is running, its on the default of 700. Also about how long does it take to get up full speed?

Many Thanks!

- Dave
Activity: 71
Merit: 10

Nice info Philipma,

Do you also have the power at wall consumpion for for the two?

Thanx

5 amps with the evga 1600 t2 doing  the 4950

6 amps with the 2880watts doing the 5090

but one is a titanium psu
the other is a platinum psu

both used 240 volts.

the evga cost 400 bucks well 428 with tax.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ibm-2880w-psubreakout-boards-new-package-deals-for-t9s9-a7-966135

NEW - PACKAGE DEALS

The "Get Me Going" Package - $165
(Tell the wife her dryer now runs on 12V and has blinking lights and loud fans) Will power 2.5x Avalon6, simply add a C19 cable.
 - 1x 2880W PSU
 - 1x Breakout board
 - 10x 24" PCIe cables

so 165 vs 428  both do 1 s-7

yeah the evga is a little better watt per gh

but 165 vs 428  and you can sound proof the psu from j4bbrwock/finksy

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13297291

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13276528

Thanx for that.

But maybe a bit more in detail.

legendary
Mine for a Bit
To chime in on squeezing the most out of an s-7

Psu quality has a big difference.

I am doing freq 631 on a batch 2 marked at 575 freq . I get more then 5075 gh error rate = .0004%

How does this happen?

Use a 2880 watt psu with your breakout board and your 3 ft 15 awg cables.

Since it is 1 s-7 on the psu the 2880 watt has  lots of overhead.

this is the best I have done with the  2880 watt psu

same machine using an evga 1600 t2 psu  still very good but not quite as good as the 2880 watter

Do you know your actual usage in Watts?  If so, take the Watts/GHs=Efficiency.  (Watts/5075=Efficiency)  It is all about the efficiency.
legendary
Mine for a Bit

legendary
Nice info Philipma,

Thanx

5 amps with the evga 1600 t2 doing  the 4950

6 amps with the 2880watts doing the 5090

but one is a titanium psu
the other is a platinum psu

both used 240 volts.

the evga cost 400 bucks well 428 with tax.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ibm-2880w-psubreakout-boards-new-package-deals-for-t9s9-a7-966135

NEW - PACKAGE DEALS

The "Get Me Going" Package - $165
(Tell the wife her dryer now runs on 12V and has blinking lights and loud fans) Will power 2.5x Avalon6, simply add a C19 cable.
 - 1x 2880W PSU
 - 1x Breakout board
 - 10x 24" PCIe cables

so 165 vs 428  both do 1 s-7

yeah the evga is a little better watt per gh

but 165 vs 428  and you can sound proof the psu from j4bbrwock/finksy

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13297291

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13276528
Nice info Philipma,

Thanx
legendary
To chime in on squeezing the most out of an s-7

Psu quality has a big difference.

I am doing freq 631 on a batch 2 marked at 575 freq . I get more then 5075 gh error rate = .0004%

How does this happen?

Use a 2880 watt psu with your breakout board and your 3 ft 15 awg cables.

Since it is 1 s-7 on the psu the 2880 watt has  lots of overhead.

this is the best I have done with the  2880 watt psu

same machine using an evga 1600 t2 psu  still very good but not quite as good as the 2880 watter

Jump to: