Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 163. (Read 527808 times)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

But still 'normal' given the difficulty growth over the past couple of periods ... even if it settles down to 10% this time that's 56 PH added to the network in 12-13 days.

It seems like the most profitable time to mine was Jan - Sept of this year - price flat, difficulty flat, and mining equipment appreciated during that time frame. Those days are gone for now...
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
batch 8, ordered 12-2, shipped 12-10, will receive on 12-14 (damn weekends)
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
Somebody must have a batch 6 that can confirm / deny the existence & output voltage specs of a buck converter on Batch 6 units.

Also, more rumors about batch 9, pls. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
I'd like to buy a coupon if someone has one. PM me.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

I suspect it can but via ssh not the gui.

Is there a way to persist the cgminer config after setting load balancing through SSH?
legendary
Merit: 1068
Did you have to open it to see that? I can't really see it just by looking inside

Cheesy i removed all of them. close device and use flashlight if you cant see.

So, for the people less "in", are you saying black is bad, so don't touch Batch 2? This could be why some people report heatsink falling off and the unit burning down?

yes indeed, black is strong glue then white but this has really bad thermal conductivity.
white is 1,2 w/mK
black is 0,4 w/mK

So what happen is, since black has much weaker thermal conductivity, when the unit heat up, so does the paste, by a big margin. At which point the black glue liquify and stop holding the heatsink in place.

Any idea at what temp this would happen?
Activity: 490
Merit: 270
Reverse Engineer
Did you have to open it to see that? I can't really see it just by looking inside

So, for the people less "in", are you saying black is bad, so don't touch Batch 2? This could be why some people report heatsink falling off and the unit burning down?

yes indeed, black is strong glue then white but this has really bad thermal conductivity.
white is 1,2 w/mK
black is 0,4 w/mK
legendary
Merit: 1068

Reverse Engineer

Activity: 69
Reverse Engineer
Yeah, very weird. I wonder what Bitmain has to say about that.

I'm sure because although I received both miners at the same time, I had only the left one turned on until I get my 2nd PSU for the right one, and it has been always running with these RPM.

this is bonding glue problem. look at large alu heatsink between chips, you will see one miner has black glue others is white,
white ones epoxy + al2o3 adhesive, this is thermal glue.
black ones standard chip bonding glue(cyanoacylilat), this is not thermal glue. this ones comes with B2 4.66Th
regards.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Why is it that being from a certain country you get your machines earlier? This makes me worry that other problems could happen and even more of a delay take place. Is there a guarantee that batch 8 ships January or is that "an estimation"?

Well, they guarantee their shipping time, and if they don't make their guaranteed time (+ 10 days after entering false shipping dates) they will be sure to compensate you, just like all us B1 buyers  Roll Eyes
Activity: 101
Just another man trying to find his way.
Why is it that being from a certain country you get your machines earlier? This makes me worry that other problems could happen and even more of a delay take place. Is there a guarantee that batch 8 ships January or is that "an estimation"?
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
next batch in jan should be batch 9. last i heard it is already on sales & shipping out in mainland china only & it is the same specs as batch 8.

anyone with more info ?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
B6 seems to be highly OCable due to the possible featured buck converter. As for B8 the OC is done at the factory, so you could have got B6 for less bucks than B8 and do the OC yourself

Pretty sure the S7 is a string design, which apparently lead to not being able to set the voltage with software. You would need a buck step down instead.

Not sure whats the big deal with their latest design schemes. Considering how much profit they make per unit, you'd think they could afford few extra bucks per boards manufactured to allow Volt control.

It's more complicated than that and it's like noone is reading my post from further up the page?   So I'll repeat it here. Smiley  Smiley

OK let's not get carried away here. We know that Batches 1 to 5 and 7, the 162 chip Systems, are a straight string design and are not voltage adjustable except by varying the Supply Voltage. Any Voltage numbers in the /config/cgminer.conf are merely a leftover from previous miners that were adjustable and will do nothing if changed.

The Miners that might be adjustable are the 135 Chip Batch 6 & 8. However although we suspect there might be a Buck Controller this is not yet confirmed. If there is one then it might have a fixed voltage like S1 & S3. Or if we get very lucky it might be software voltage adjustable. Bitmain might make this directly adjustable from within the GUI like S4 or it may need the cgminer.conf to be edited.

All of these questions will be easy to answer when we can get a picture of the Batch 6/8 Hash Board and if there is a software controllable Buck Converter people can then explore play with the cgminer.conf setting.

Rich

Batch 6 may well be overclockable, perhaps even close to Batch 8 speed, however we are unfortunately given no information by Bitmain for the reasoning behind any of the different Default Frequencies and Hash Rates. I can only speculate that they have been selecting BM1385 ASIC's and that is what is behind the wide range of batches? This may well settle down or they may even have done a Rev of the design at some point? Batch 8 does seem to have been on sale for some time so perhaps we have got to that point?

I am still fingers crossed on the Batch 6/8 having a Buck Converter and that at the very best this is software adjustable? My feeling is the +10% that they have tagged the Power & Efficiency with on Batch 6/8 is because of the losses in the Buck Converter?

Would be so nice if they were more open on some of the details? It's amazing how much money we happily part with on a Miner, as opposed to say a piece of HIFi equipment, in the absence of a full specification or third party reviews?

Still looking forward to a decent picture of the "other side" of the Batch 6/8 Hash Board?  Smiley

Rich

Activity: 72
dhl says expected delivery end of day for batch 8....today....but no tracking other than arrived in ohio (im up north, across the border)....so yeah expected delivery my ass.  For people getting dhl shipping, remember you can pay your duties online at dhl my payment - otherwise - if im correct, they charge a flat 2.5% extra fee or something if you pay at the door.  I could be wrong but in any case its good to pay right away.  I dont advise checking the >leave at the door without signature option< as if the box is all messed up...But you can only pay once your countries customs has inspected the packet, and charges can be made.  I cant pay yet.  So...i'm guessing someone at Canada Customs is mining in his office with my s7 Tongue

I'll give you guys an update once its in, but I wont do anything to void the warranty, at least for a little while.

DHL IS ALWAYS 1 or 2 days later than their estimated time it's the worst.

I ship all my machine to my cousin in alberta so i only pay 5% duty instead of 13% here in ontario
Activity: 69
B6 seems to be highly OCable due to the possible featured buck converter. As for B8 the OC is done at the factory, so you could have got B6 for less bucks than B8 and do the OC yourself

Pretty sure the S7 is a string design, which apparently lead to not being able to set the voltage with software. You would need a buck step down instead.

Not sure whats the big deal with their latest design schemes. Considering how much profit they make per unit, you'd think they could afford few extra bucks per boards manufactured to allow Volt control.

It's more complicated than that and it's like noone is reading my post from further up the page?   So I'll repeat it here. Smiley  Smiley

OK let's not get carried away here. We know that Batches 1 to 5 and 7, the 162 chip Systems, are a straight string design and are not voltage adjustable except by varying the Supply Voltage. Any Voltage numbers in the /config/cgminer.conf are merely a leftover from previous miners that were adjustable and will do nothing if changed.

The Miners that might be adjustable are the 135 Chip Batch 6 & 8. However although we suspect there might be a Buck Controller this is not yet confirmed. If there is one then it might have a fixed voltage like S1 & S3. Or if we get very lucky it might be software voltage adjustable. Bitmain might make this directly adjustable from within the GUI like S4 or it may need the cgminer.conf to be edited.

All of these questions will be easy to answer when we can get a picture of the Batch 6/8 Hash Board and if there is a software controllable Buck Converter people can then explore play with the cgminer.conf setting.

Rich
Jump to: