Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 179. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Absolutely, I would never do that, I was talking about getting the firmware for the other 19 that are not batch 7 to bring them up to batch 7 standards.  I am very happy with thew two that arrive tonight.  

I will share with you the same thing I have told someone else.  I'm sure others will agree.

There is nothing wrong with the September firmware.  The October firmware SUPPOSEDLY fixed the issue with rigs burning up after internet loss.  I've seen two people in the forum who have had their units replaced because of burning up after losing interest and they had the October firmware.  One of them lost 3 rigs due to burning up after internet loss.  

Don't believe the hype about the October firmware.  It does not fix that issue.  It's not worth risking a $1,700 to $2,000 investment depending on the firmware having fixed that issue because it hasn't.  Your investment is safer if the fan is set to manual with a setting of 75% or higher.  It may be less than 75% is okay but that depends on your ambient temperature.

I'm keeping all of mine from now on with the firmware they come with and setting the fans to "manual" to avoid burning them up if the internet goes down.  We already have confirmation your rigs will not burn up if you have the fans set to manual at 75% or higher.  It's possible they may not burn up with the fan set at lower percentage but 75% is the lowest we have confirmation of thus far.  

The S7 is an EXCELLENT rig in many aspects.  The only issue [in my opinion] is the risk of burning up the rig during a long period of internet failure.  How long?  Who knows...

BITMAIN is still installing the September Firmware and probably mining with the September Firmware on their own personal rigs.  If it was so important, I would think they would already have the updated firmware pre loaded.  Even if they were to have it pre-loaded, I would not risk a $1,500 to $2,000 investment on this issue. Go to manual with the fan and do not trust the firmware update to fix the issue.  That's my opinion.  

I totally agree with you, I maybe misunderstood your earlier post.  I thought you had the firmware that bitmain was using for the 625 rigs.  However, I have no problem running my machines at a lower setting as I am fully aware for what overclocking or pushing these units to hard can cause damage wise.  The financial risk is not worth it.  That is why I am so against bitmains batch 8 with the 135 chip and them pushing the chips to 700 MHZ.  I think that has failure written all over it and driven by greed.  Just my opinion. 

I have a Batch 8 on the way - and given the 135 chips 700mhz setting, I would like to underclock the rig to hit a "safe zone" just like the previous 600mhz batches -- I am hoping I can extend this rig's life as much as possible. Does this make sense?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
I totally agree with you, I maybe misunderstood your earlier post.  I thought you had the firmware that bitmain was using for the 625 rigs.  However, I have no problem running my machines at a lower setting as I am fully aware for what overclocking or pushing these units to hard can cause damage wise.  The financial risk is not worth it.  That is why I am so against bitmains batch 8 with the 135 chip and them pushing the chips to 700 MHZ.  I think that has failure written all over it and driven by greed.  Just my opinion.  

I don't see myself pushing any S7 higher than 650 MHz.  Simply for the reason you said, for the longevity of the rig.

EDIT:  If it comes with a default higher than 650 MHz, I will under clock it to 650 MHz.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Absolutely, I would never do that, I was talking about getting the firmware for the other 19 that are not batch 7 to bring them up to batch 7 standards.  I am very happy with thew two that arrive tonight.  

I will share with you the same thing I have told someone else.  I'm sure others will agree.

There is nothing wrong with the September firmware.  The October firmware SUPPOSEDLY fixed the issue with rigs burning up after internet loss.  I've seen two people in the forum who have had their units replaced because of burning up after losing interest and they had the October firmware.  One of them lost 3 rigs due to burning up after internet loss.  

Don't believe the hype about the October firmware.  It does not fix that issue.  It's not worth risking a $1,700 to $2,000 investment depending on the firmware having fixed that issue because it hasn't.  Your investment is safer if the fan is set to manual with a setting of 75% or higher.  It may be less than 75% is okay but that depends on your ambient temperature.

I'm keeping all of mine from now on with the firmware they come with and setting the fans to "manual" to avoid burning them up if the internet goes down.  We already have confirmation your rigs will not burn up if you have the fans set to manual at 75% or higher.  It's possible they may not burn up with the fan set at lower percentage but 75% is the lowest we have confirmation of thus far.  

The S7 is an EXCELLENT rig in many aspects.  The only issue [in my opinion] is the risk of burning up the rig during a long period of internet failure.  How long?  Who knows...

BITMAIN is still installing the September Firmware and probably mining with the September Firmware on their own personal rigs.  If it was so important, I would think they would already have the updated firmware pre loaded.  Even if they were to have it pre-loaded, I would not risk a $1,500 to $2,000 investment on this issue. Go to manual with the fan and do not trust the firmware update to fix the issue.  That's my opinion.  

I totally agree with you, I maybe misunderstood your earlier post.  I thought you had the firmware that bitmain was using for the 625 rigs.  However, I have no problem running my machines at a lower setting as I am fully aware for what overclocking or pushing these units to hard can cause damage wise.  The financial risk is not worth it.  That is why I am so against bitmains batch 8 with the 135 chip and them pushing the chips to 700 MHZ.  I think that has failure written all over it and driven by greed.  Just my opinion. 
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
Batch 8 was at 1792 and now its reduced to 1650 USD ( 4.405 BTC ) Still is a a fair amount to pay. Think am a going to play the waiting game some more or till someone starts selling off and S8 comes along or they get the efficiency up more on the s7

pcfli reported that S7 miner that will come in late january will cost ~$1150 to him and, hence, to everybody else as Bitmain charges similar $$ to hosting sites vs regular folks. Of course, it is almost exactly the same or worse than having a $1500-1550 ($1650-coupon) miner right now.

S7 late Jan? Their goes any profit that would of been made available to mine and generate. Batches and pre orders, Bitmain needs to go back to in-stock and ship next day. That way might take a little longer to get the stocks in but would improve customer experience and provide much better experience for customers to gain a good RIO or be in with a much better chance.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

Batch 5.  Not too shabby.

do you need new firmware for the 625mhz?

Yes,  I just got my batch 7 in tonight and whatever firmware that is on there is amazing.  Of course it is only going to work on batch 7 I am assuming (162 chip version)

Let me know.

Thanks!!

Do not upgrade to any firmware you see on Bitmain's support website at the moment.  It is for 550 MHz, 575 MHz and 600 MHz only.  If you upgrade your Batch 7 [Which is default at 625 MHz] to one of the other firmware, you risk changing the default frequency of your mining rig and can potentially shorten it's warranty period if you bought other S7 batches prior to batch 7.  If something goes wrong with it during the warranty period [But outside the warranty period for previous batches] you may be out of luck because they think you are trying to get an earlier batch [That's out of warranty] serviced.

Absolutely, I would never do that, I was talking about getting the firmware for the other 19 that are not batch 7 to bring them up to batch 7 standards.  I am very happy with thew two that arrive tonight. 
I have a evga 1600w g2 sitting here and wounding if I can use it to power the Antminer s7 that is coming later tomorrow, any thoughts?

What are you wondering about, how awesome it will be  or what?  Lol, I have 21 S7's 17 of which are powered by COOLMAX ZPS-1600B and the other 4 are powered by EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 80+ GOLD, 1600W Big Daddy's.  What are your concerns or questions?  
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Batch 5.  Not too shabby.

Yes,  I just got my batch 7 in tonight and whatever firmware that is on there is amazing.  Of course it is only going to work on batch 7 I am assuming (162 chip version)

Let me know.

Thanks!!

Do not upgrade to any firmware you see on Bitmain's support website at the moment.  It is for 550 MHz, 575 MHz and 600 MHz only [That would be batches 1 through 6].  If you upgrade your Batch 7 [Which is default at 625 MHz] to one of the other firmware, you risk changing the default frequency of your mining rig and can potentially shorten it's warranty period if you bought other S7 batches prior to batch 7.  If something goes wrong with it during the warranty period [But outside the warranty period for previous batches] you may be out of luck because they think you are trying to get an earlier batch [That's out of warranty] serviced.
Batch 5.  Not too shabby.

Yes,  I just got my batch 7 in tonight and whatever firmware that is on there is amazing.  Of course it is only going to work on batch 7 I am assuming (162 chip version)

Let me know.

Thanks!!
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
I have a evga 1600w g2 sitting here and wounding if I can use it to power the Antminer s7 that is coming later tomorrow, any thoughts?
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

Good points Brob, but this isn't the first time or the worst. As you know it is a matter of numbers for some people and others it is the love of what we are doing here.

People are still profiting and some are doing so magnificently by buying 20 units and selling 5 for 20% more than what they paid. People also sell them after using them for 90 days or so.

Consider the meta game with mining and you can see what folks are doing with miners like the S5 and even still the SP20. They are holding their value well. There is a 2nd and 3rd owner market who can make magnifiecient profits when most of us cannot. For example the Venezuela guys have amazing power prices and will buy S3s even along with S5s and SP20s.

You can do it, and you can make money as the BTC price increases.

Factor in the fact that some people are able to eliminate $300 per month heating bills and you can begin to see numbers which make more sense. Personally I didn't run heat almost the complete last winter season and have prepared things so I will not need to do so this season unless I lose electricity.

Besides, for some of us it is more fun than almost anything else at the moment and seeing the ecosystem grow is a huge driving force. 
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
With the massive difficulty increases lately, the last one was 10% and the next one looks like it may be close to 10% as well, how is anybody going to profit on these super expensive miners.  I just don't see it.  I mean I know the price increased a lot but if the difficulty increases at this rate it is not looking good for the new S7 buyers.
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg
I received my batch 7's today. Fortunately they all arrived in great shape along with my PDU and I am expecting the rest of my shipments tomorrow from Finsky and Bitmain. BTW the PDU from Finsky is a nice product and everyone knows the 2880 power supplies and b/o boards built by Jabber are amazing. Thanks Finsky and Jabber, I have almost the entire mini-farm running on 2880s now.
I am keeping several 2000BBs for backups along with the b/o boards from sidehack. His boards have the options I enjoy toying with. Load balancing anything is fun. I plan on picking up a couple of the ones Jabber built just because I like the options he threw on it with the LED displays since most of my setup uses whips over PDUs with remote capabilities. Nice wire is free through work scraps and I have a boatload of 10 ga sitting around. I cannot beat that. I also like making my own connectors. I guess it is a pride thing, knowing they are made the way I want them to be.

So, this is an S7 thread, and my S7s all batch 7s on this shipment are performing well. Hitting 5.02 ish on 3 and 5.07 ish on two others. All stock, and the same FW as previously mentioned from Sept 15.
Temps and loads are higher across the board versus the batch 1 units. Temperatures are averaging 7 degrees higher on batch 7. Sitting right next to a batch 1 unit so no difference in ambient.

Loads are interesting with the batch 7 units at or all close to 1.10, 0.94, 0.91
Batch 1 I have clocked at 606 btw and average load 10ish lower.

Just throwing those out as the batch 7s have only been online 3 hours or so.

I have a 2880 for an S7 which is also running an S5+ single "module" with another 2880 running the other two of the S5+ modules.

I did upgrade the FW on the batch 1s, but I will wait on the Batch 7s.

I do not plan to purchase anymore S7s unless I am unable to find another miner. I would prefer to wait another month and see what else may hit the shelves, but I am also on a plan to replace everything higher than .44 efficiency (S5+).

The Avalon pricing did not float my boat once I learned the under-clocks were not comparable to the 4.1s, so I am in a holding pattern as of now but would still enjoy picking up a couple or three.

Bitmain's aggressive batches are setting the pace for the market. We desperately need some competition to make Bitmain work and not coast.
If anyone wants me to check anything particular I am happy to do so. It seems many people received their batch 7s today.

I am jumping around several topics but one last item to mention is if you are using miners for heat consider a couple of fan types I am using. Inline fans can be used to push heat several ways but be safe pushing back in your hvac ductwork. Make sure you do not over-pressure anything and cause yourself leaks later on and also consider inwall fans for pushing heat from one room to another. Both can be had for very reasonable prices and if you set things up correctly you shouldn't even need to run your furnace / heat systems if you have just a few miners. I have zero noise complaints and keep the entire house warm. Any questions feel free to pop me a PM.

Do not support anyone or any company who isn't supporting the bitcoin ecosystem in a positive way. Pools who mine zero transaction blocks, or SPV mining taking a chance with forks to damage us all.

Final thoughts are keep on keeping on! It doesn't matter how big some company is, or how much they control, but for the simple reason we are what Bitcoin is about! That will not change until the last one of us little guys is gone and it is worth being in it!

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
What did you all set your fan speed?  right now it's on automatic.  Running at 4400 and 4080.  Temperature is 50, 51, 54.  

After seeing the temps of your boards in the rig, I would set it to whatever percentage keeps the RPM's where they are now.  That may be at 80 to 85 percent.  They mine better between 50 and 60 degrees Celsius.  That's where it is now.
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
What did you all set your fan speed?  right now it's on automatic.  Running at 4400 and 4080.  Temperature is 50, 51, 54. 
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
5th/s is nice and fast. Im only getting 4.5 from my batch 4 :/
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
Received my Batch 7 today.  They are louder than the others, that's what my lower level is for.  Mining away at 5T.  Mad I didn't get a couple of these..  Life goes on.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Rich
When you hit the reset button does it revert to the 9/15 firmware?

I have yet to hit the reset button to find out.  I know my S5's and S3's retained the firmware version I upgraded them to after a hard reset.  I would expect the same with the S7.

Would be great if they posted a 9/15 tar file.

Agreed

I don't know the answer to your previous post about cgminer.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523
Rich
When you hit the reset button does it revert to the 9/15 firmware?

I have yet to hit the reset button to find out.  I know my S5's and S3's retained the firmware version I upgraded them to after a hard reset.  I would expect the same with the S7.
[/quote]
Would be great if they posted a 9/15 tar file.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523

My first boots up with a lot of HW ERRORS then they drop down to 0.0042% in an hour or two I don't know why ?

if you don't want to wait that long, wait 10 min after the initial hard boot, then go to "advanced settings", don't change anything, just click on save and apply button-you will be soft-restarted with lower errors or errors will get lower faster (they restart at a lower rate).
Does a cgminer.sh stop then a cgminer.sh start
Jump to: