Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 2. (Read 527670 times)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10
I am posting here as to not create another thread somewhere else. I have been mining with my S7 for roughly 8 months with no issues. It recently killed the input fan, and of course I had it set to shutdown when it hits 80 degrees to prevent damage. When I finally got around to getting a new fan today, I hooked it up. The miner starts up, and runs for about 2-5 minutes, temperatures never get above 65 degrees, but it will start beeping and then stop mining. All the chips are showing good, it has been off for about 5 days while I waited for a new fan to arrive. I purchased a much stronger fan, and it is powered externally through the PSU directly, not into the controller board. Does the unit need to see FAN RPMS from 2 fans? I have the other fan that didn't die still setup and plugged into the controller board. Any ideas? I will/can try the usual suspects like firmware upgrade and all that, just seems strange to me that it worked fine before, and after being shutdown for a few days and adding a new fan and now it won't stay mining. I have even underclocked it to 575, where as I usually ran it underclocked at 600 anyway.
Activity: 723
Merit: 519
Is there any way to identify the batch number based off the serial number listed on the sticker on top of the controller? I sold one of my s7's on Amazon, took offline and shipped in an hour or so then the buyer emails me once he received it claiming it was "dead on arrival"

EDIT: any suggestions on how this perfectly working miner could now be "dead"Huh
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
anyway to get these things to balance between 2 pools?

on the s5 you just put --balance in the last password field and it tacked it on the command line.. but the s7 doesnt seem to be doing that since its using a config file and not a command line..

i tried to scp in and set "balance" : true, in the config but it just messes up and runs the miner at 100 speed when you apply it..

any ideas?
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Batch 20 now available at $365

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201606140744014851E341twm065B

received a batch19 of s7, 2 unit is down, when open up,.. the board is very old and dusty,..it's second hand unit
does this happen to anyone of you? feeling down and down... Cry Cry Cry Cry

Yes, that's what happens with late batches. Bitmain is cleaning out their farms and the QA process is... inconsistent... to put it mildly. Some miners are ok-ish, but some haven't been cleaned or even tested as seems to be the case with you.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
received a batch19 of s7, 2 unit is down, when open up,.. the board is very old and dusty,..it's second hand unit
does this happen to anyone of you? feeling down and down... Cry Cry Cry Cry
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
To add perspective my father sells power to pge in the Bay Area at 13c/kWh...  They charge like 28c.  Insanity.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
If you want to get away with S3 fans, you need to undervolt the S7. Read sidehacks thread and buy that microchip programmer from eBay.

no need to even buy that programmer as sidehack has three S7 miners already adjusted/undervolted to 870w-1050w available in Marketplace.
By my calc you can mine with them until next summer (with about 2% average diff rise, currently 1.94%) EVEN at 8.9c power.
Activity: 430
Merit: 253
VeganAcademy
if they're at full speed you would be fine with just venting exhaust and a manageable room temperature.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
If you want to get away with S3 fans, you need to undervolt the S7. Read sidehacks thread and buy that microchip programmer from eBay.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
So I think you  are going to be stuck with higher RPM fan's unless you underclock it.   And I would monitor the heck out of it if your messing with fan's.    They really were not made to be quiet miner's.  There are some good mod's people have done on forum to quiet them some though.  Going to S3 level fan... I don't think is one I would do.

If I backed off freq to ~400, and put a S3 type fan on my Batch 6 S7.... I think it would still overheat on a day with ambient  > 85*F.... But why do that when you can just turn it down to 30% or less fan speed with the stock fans.  I would never consider S3 fans on an S7... The S7 needs the CFM.

Do two things:
Create a cabinet that is insulated to house the miner and its power supply.   Have a ducted inlet to the front, and have the exhaust ducted directly from the fan to an exhausting source. the further away, the quieter it is.  you really only need like 6-8Ft if you are ducting directly to a duct vent.

You only quoted half of my comment.  The bold part I do not disagree with it is entire reason for part of my post you did not quote.  S3 and S7 are massively different miner's.  Just look at watt's S3 366ish and S7 depending on batch 1293ish .   So were talking like three times the amount of watt's  which means more heat. :

I'm don't think S3's and S7's are even in the same ballpark.  If your looking at a fan that was mentioned great for S3..... chances are it is not enough for S7.  Specifically for those of us in summer.  I did have one of the S7-F1 variants which had 1 larger fan it actually worked with out issue, but was a higher RPM fan.   

Yes you can do things to make it quieter like you mentioned.   But before doing all of this I would do some ROI math as S7 + building a decent cabinet to dampen heat that does not heat up crazy will not make sense for a lot of people.  All depends on electricity.
legendary
So I think you  are going to be stuck with higher RPM fan's unless you underclock it.   And I would monitor the heck out of it if your messing with fan's.    They really were not made to be quiet miner's.  There are some good mod's people have done on forum to quiet them some though.  Going to S3 level fan... I don't think is one I would do.

If I backed off freq to ~400, and put a S3 type fan on my Batch 6 S7.... I think it would still overheat on a day with ambient  > 85*F.... But why do that when you can just turn it down to 30% or less fan speed with the stock fans.  I would never consider S3 fans on an S7... The S7 needs the CFM.

Do two things:
Create a cabinet that is insulated to house the miner and its power supply.   Have a ducted inlet to the front, and have the exhaust ducted directly from the fan to an exhausting source. the further away, the quieter it is.  you really only need like 6-8Ft if you are ducting directly to a duct vent.
legendary
Activity: 1456
sounds good! I am trying to cut the DB's(NOISE) down so trying different things.
Corsair fan is super quiet. I don't get why they went with these super loud 4400rpm fans when the S1/S3's 3800rpm fans move enough air.

Put 2 s3 fans onto an s7 and watch how quick it overheats....

I'm don't think S3's and S7's are even in the same ballpark.  If your looking at a fan that was mentioned great for S3..... chances are it is not enough for S7.  Specifically for those of us in summer.  I did have one of the S7-F1 variants which had 1 larger fan it actually worked with out issue, but was a higher RPM fan.   

legendary
sounds good! I am trying to cut the DB's(NOISE) down so trying different things.
Corsair fan is super quiet. I don't get why they went with these super loud 4400rpm fans when the S1/S3's 3800rpm fans move enough air.

Put 2 s3 fans onto an s7 and watch how quick it overheats....
Activity: 569
Merit: 500
Fan dynamics...

I was thinking and I don't like doing that these days...

scenario
intake fan max RPM is 4500 rpm and is spinning at 3400 rpm
exhaust fans max rpm is 2400 rpm and is spinning at 2600 rpm

a> is the slower exhaust fan actually slowing down the intake fan as it is being forced to spin the exhaust one faster than it can electrically spin itself?
b> is the exhaust fan even electrically doing anything since its exceeding its max rpm due to the intake fans higher rpm

I am guessing the exhaust fan being that much slower isnt doing anything but causing impedance and should be removed. correct?
I can match it but don't like the extra noise but if its not actually doing anything then I dont need an exhaust fan anyway....

While I am not an "airflow engineer", here's another possibility:

c> The exhaust fan is lowering the pressure that the intake fan "sees", and hence the intake fan speed can be reduced without having the miner overheat.
Bingo.
It's all about static pressure. I haven't actually checked their specs but I'd wager that despite the exhaust fan spinning slower it is still rated with same CFM when working against a light resistance as the intake fan is when the intake is working against high back pressure.

Difference is that that intake fan can move that air against the high resistance all those heatsink fins produce. The unloaded CFM of the intake fan is much higher. Put the 2 fans together and it's a win-win.

side note: The 1-fan s7 proves that the 'help' the exhaust provides is not necessarily needed. I have 3 of them running full stock speed in 85F ambient and they are perfectly happy.

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Fan dynamics...

scenario

a> is the slower exhaust fan actually slowing down the intake fan as it is being forced to spin the exhaust one faster than it can electrically spin itself?
b> is the exhaust fan even electrically doing anything since its exceeding its max rpm due to the intake fans higher rpm

I am guessing the exhaust fan being that much slower isnt doing anything but causing impedance and should be removed. correct?
I can match it but don't like the extra noise but if its not actually doing anything then I dont need an exhaust fan anyway....

c> The exhaust fan is lowering the pressure that the intake fan "sees", and hence the intake fan speed can be reduced without having the miner overheat.
Bingo.
It's all about static pressure. I haven't actually checked their specs but I'd wager that despite the exhaust fan spinning slower it is still rated with same CFM when working against a light resistance as the intake fan is when the intake is working against high back pressure.

Difference is that that intake fan can move that air against the high resistance all those heatsink fins produce. The unloaded CFM of the intake fan is much higher. Put the 2 fans together and it's a win-win.

side note: The 1-fan s7 proves that the 'help' the exhaust provides is not necessarily needed. I have 3 of them running full stock speed in 85F ambient and they are perfectly happy.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1844
Merit: 1050
Fan dynamics...

scenario

Activity: 569
Merit: 500
Fan dynamics...

scenario

legendary
Activity: 974
Activity: 1162
Merit: 943
Looks like glue from a hot glue gun.... possibly to stop tampering
Activity: 19
Merit: 5
i got 2 hashboards back from bitmain that we sent for warranty repair a while ago, they came back with some transparent glue in one corner, anybody have a clue what this is? they are both like this....

http://puntoweb.com/~pics/s7-1.JPG

http://puntoweb.com/~pics/s7-2.JPG

any comments?

they seem to work just fine....
Pages:
Jump to: