Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 262. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader

see my old posts in this thread. I wrote here about it but nobody wants to hear me. Photos of burnt S5 are in the thread of the picture your mining... only one time fall me internet connection..
 I am skeptical about s7 if bitmain no fix this dangerous FAIL. One mistake and you lose 2000usd(miner+psu+tax). If you put them in the data center, you are waiting for nearly a year return on investment.

I saw it.  I just never responded to it.  I'm going to find out if it fixed it one way or the other fairly soon if no one else does.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523

no, i didn't, as i usually wait a few days-this saved my hide a couple of times when upgrades were bad.
upgrade might help, but it seems that it is a problem that migrated from s5 to s7 and if it was easy to fix, they would have done it long time ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I hope this fixed it.  I guess we will find out from someone soon enough or we never will find out which means it fixed it.
Dmwardjr, have you played with the manual fan settings?
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

people are being surprisingly nonchalant about it.
...I woke up at 3am this morning and at first could not figure out why.
then i heard a tiny noise coming from s7 (much less than s5)
;run to it, Internet is down ("internet not working well" situation)
miner is still doing something and fans are on very low, and air is coming out quite hot.
Thankfully, I had a Vornado fan blowing into intake for such situations and to help with cooling, so no critical overheat occurred.
Internet came back within 2-3 min and it was back to hashing.

all i am saying: beware and try to adapt. i can practically guarantee that it WILL happen in large hosting because usually service guarantees just 98% uptime.
If service loses internet, but power is on....

I'm curious...  Did you already have the October 23 Firmware update on this rig?

no, i didn't, as i usually wait a few days-this saved my hide a couple of times when upgrades were bad.
upgrade might help, but it seems that it is a problem that migrated from s5 to s7 and if it was easy to fix, they would have done it long time ago.

I have a question about manual fan speed setting.
If you set it to 90% does it stay 90% even when the internet goes out? Or does it cycle down and back up to speed?  That would be great if it just kept up speed.

Damn good idea.

I'm not willing to disconnect the internet to find out.  I would have to take one rig away from all of the others to listen.  Why?  Because without internet, we could not log in to it to find out.  We would have to be next to it away from all other rigs to listen to the fans.

I'm not willing to disconnect all 9 of mine to find out.  I don't have 240 anywhere else in the house with a NEMA L6-30 outlet.  I suppose I could do it with my corsairs at another location.  I'm just not willing to disconnect to find out.  I'll see if someone else does it first.  If they don't, then I will.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I hope this fixed it.  I guess we will find out from someone soon enough or we never will find out which means it fixed it.
Activity: 293
Merit: 250

Kind reminder:
When mining with S7, be sure that you've connected the internet properly and the internet is working well, otherwise, the boards may get burnt easily Sad

I would not take this seriously. This message is not from Bitmain.
They would have used proper channels, and not post a poorly written post on a forum, with an unknown username, lol!

It is a Bitmain account, Janet's successor as she is off doing other things. I've asked them to add it to the BITMAIN signature.

how can we make sure that "internet is working well"?
"oh, no, your miner boards got burned....you did not make sure that internet worked well".
I understand that he means well, but this is just impractical, seriously.

Yea that is a bit unnerving considering no ISP is 100% guaranteed and even my home router needs to be bounced once in a blue moon.

miner is still doing something and fans are on very low, and air is coming out quite hot.
Thankfully, I had a Vornado fan blowing into intake for such situations and to help with cooling, so no critical overheat occurred.

all i am saying: beware and try to adapt. i can practically guarantee that it WILL happen in large hosting because usually service guarantees just 98% uptime.

see my old posts in this thread. I wrote here about it but nobody wants to hear me. Photos of burnt S5 are in the thread of the picture your mining... only one time fall me internet connection..
 I am skeptical about s7 if bitmain no fix this dangerous FAIL. One mistake and you lose 2000usd(miner+psu+tax). If you put them in the data center, you are waiting for nearly a year return on investment.

I'm curious...  Did you already have the October 23 Firmware update on this rig?

I have a question about manual fan speed setting.
If you set it to 90% does it stay 90% even when the internet goes out? Or does it cycle down and back up to speed?  That would be great if it just kept up speed.
Activity: 514
Merit: 500
Some around $5.00 per day in energy consumption.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

So is that a right choice to buy http://www.frys.com/product/7590536?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG for S7?

I haven't seen S7 personally with my naked eyes, however I am sure 10 x 6 pin PCI-e connections has to do with connectors.

It appears to have ten (10) 6 pin connectors for PCI-e ports.  It also "says" it is 12 + Volts.  As long as it's 12 and not too much less, you will not have to be concerned about hash rate or HW errors.

Thank You dmwardjr,

You made my day. I will wait for my S7 to arrive. If this PSU + S7 works, I will add more hardware in future.

Now, I need to find the way, how much will be daily power consumption.. :-( I have no idea

this is simple if you want $, then multiply your energy cost (+transmission fees)/kwhX1.21X24=daily cost in $$
You will be using 1.21 extra kw/mo per miner.
Hopefully, you are not in CA or NY.
I think 3 HX850's would do it.
HX850 has 4 pcie connectors on the modular psu.
Each hashboard on s7 is 400 watts.
One of them can power the controller with the extra pcie
s5 is 300 watts per board.

I found is rather scary when you just reconfigure a running s7 that the fan speed drops so low so quickly.
It should ease off slowly allowing the chips to cool a bit.

I agree.  I'm a minimalist though.   Grin  I understand him doing this if he already has these on hand and wants to have minimal up front costs.  If he plans on adding more rigs in the future, it's best to safely gain access to 240 Volts and purchase "used" server grade PSU's with breakout boards.  It's cheaper and able to power more rigs.  Yes, gaining access to 240V dedicated circuits may cost a bit in the beginning.  Especially, if an electrician is paid instead of doing it yourself.  It turns out being cheaper afterwards as more "used" server grade PSU's and PDU's are used to power hardware.  Also able to power twice as much hardware than one could with 120 Volts.
I am with you on the 240 volts. Switched over so I could run 40 s5 at home. Six 30 amp nema L6-30 plugs.
Safer, wires are cooler. You are not going "up" to 240, it is already there in your house if the wires are run properly.

So is that a right choice to buy http://www.frys.com/product/7590536?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG for S7?

I haven't seen S7 personally with my naked eyes, however I am sure 10 x 6 pin PCI-e connections has to do with connectors.

It appears to have ten (10) 6 pin connectors for PCI-e ports.  It also "says" it is 12 + Volts.  As long as it's 12 and not too much less, you will not have to be concerned about hash rate or HW errors.

Thank You dmwardjr,

You made my day. I will wait for my S7 to arrive. If this PSU + S7 works, I will add more hardware in future.

Now, I need to find the way, how much will be daily power consumption.. :-( I have no idea
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

I found is rather scary when you just reconfigure a running s7 that the fan speed drops so low so quickly.

I agree.  I'm a minimalist though.   Grin  I understand him doing this if he already has these on hand and wants to have minimal up front costs.  If he plans on adding more rigs in the future, it's best to safely gain access to 240 Volts and purchase "used" server grade PSU's with breakout boards.  It's cheaper and able to power more rigs.  Yes, gaining access to 240V dedicated circuits may cost a bit in the beginning.  Especially, if an electrician is paid instead of doing it yourself.  It turns out being cheaper afterwards as more "used" server grade PSU's and PDU's are used to power hardware.  Also able to power twice as much hardware than one could with 120 Volts.

And I fully agree, 240 is the way to go if I didn't have to pay an electrician to come out and do it...hindsight is 20/20, I wish I had 240 back in 2013 when the ASIC revolution was beginning...heck I wish I would've kept mining back when I was using my gpu in 2011 rather than quitting because $2-3 per btc was a waste of time...even though my low-end gpu was making 2-3 btc a month at that time.  But with uncertainty in 2016, I can't justify the up front costs now to rewire my basement which is finished, so add extra cost there as well.  So recycling my 3 PSU's is great for me.  Who knows, if btc price really starts to climb next year, investing in more power may be worth it...or if I consider co-location and moving miners off-site with server psu's to power them.  But for now, I'm happy pissing off the wife with the even louder S7 than my 3 S5's...
legendary

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

I'm curious...  Did you already have the October 23 Firmware update on this rig?

Your are absolutely right

I found 1500w PSU here. http://www.frys.com/product/7590536?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG   for S7.

I think one should be enough with 120v wall socket outlet in America. Even overclocking S7 shouldn't be a issue.

After looking at it closer, it may very well have 10 x 6 pin PCI-e connections because of splitters or pig tails on some of the cords.  It says the "value" is "10" on 6 pin PCI-e cords.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

I found 1500w PSU here. http://www.frys.com/product/7590536?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG   for S7.

I think one should be enough with 120v wall socket outlet in America. Even overclocking S7 shouldn't be a issue.

After looking at it closer, it may very well have 10 x 6 pin PCI-e connections because of splitters or pig tails on some of the cords.  It says the "value" is "10" on 6 pin PCI-e cords.

My only concerns with that PSU is the following:

It says it has 8 x PCI-e ports.  You need 10 x PCI-e ports OR you need at least 2 PCI-e cords provided with the PSU that have splitters.  Which will provide the 2 additional PCI-e cords needed to power all 9 ports on the 3 blades and the 1 port for the controller.  It is hard for me to tell by the photos if at least 2 cords have the splitter [Extension with addition 6 pin PCI-e male connectors] on them.

legendary
So all this tells me, that I shouldn't try mining with S7 at my home with APW3-12-1600 PSU.

What if I buy this type of PSU http://www.frys.com/product/6806106?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG  

I think lot of other people are doing same. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbaZwqdPAc

He is using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152044 PSU with S5 Miner.

However, I can't find power consumption for S5 whether it's 120 or 240V

S5 and S7 are really nothing alike on power.  I mean just on ports alone were talking 4 PCIe ports compared to 9 + 1 PCIe ports.     I personally would not pick that raidmax if your talking about powering the S7.

If you don't use all 9 power ports you will void warranty, and 1 for controller.   More and more home and hobby miners I think you will see getting 240.

That's my problem.  I can't justify going up to 240, with the uncertainty on the halvening next year, I'm just hoping to break even on this with my lower winter electric rates and we'll see what happens to the price next June/July.  Either efficiency will have to greatly increase, or pool hash will have to drop unless people don't mind losing money mining at higher and higher difficulties.

I rec evga 1300 G2 with two extra PCIE splits, ordered separately. One can be had used for $125-130 or new/new other for ~160-200 before tax.
Activity: 180
Merit: 100

Kind reminder:
When mining with S7, be sure that you've connected the internet properly and the internet is working well, otherwise, the boards may get burnt easily Sad

I would not take this seriously. This message is not from Bitmain.
They would have used proper channels, and not post a poorly written post on a forum, with an unknown username, lol!

It is a Bitmain account, Janet's successor as she is off doing other things. I've asked them to add it to the BITMAIN signature.

how can we make sure that "internet is working well"?
"oh, no, your miner boards got burned....you did not make sure that internet worked well".
I understand that he means well, but this is just impractical, seriously.

Yea that is a bit unnerving considering no ISP is 100% guaranteed and even my home router needs to be bounced once in a blue moon.

Ah that's a good idea, I'll put my Vornado right in front of the intake fan to help push air.
Jump to: