Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 258. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
.......... I noticed that the early B1 boards are somewhat shorter than the later batches (see bottom pic, 1st one is misaligned heatsinks, 2nd one B3 S7 ). ............

Radiators are tinned on the reverse side of board.
This is a consequence of overheating. (first picture)

I had exactly the same S5 +

Click to enlarge

From soldering melting radiators (S5+ blade)

.......... I noticed that the early B1 boards are somewhat shorter than the later batches (see bottom pic, 1st one is misaligned heatsinks, 2nd one B3 S7 ). ............

Boards are the same, housing profile is difrent.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

"New" S5+ and "New" S7

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader

Well, I guess my farm is defying all logic then.
I'm certainly pulling in over 200A total - all using 120V.

I'll post this to you again.  You may not have read it:

Say we had a 200 AMP Main Service Panel and every circuit was 240V circuits by using 2 pole breakers...  If every circuit was used at it's max [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you could have 10 x 20 amp / 240 Volt circuits for a total of 48,000 watts of power.

If we used 10 x 20 amp / 120 Volt circuits in a 200 amp Main Service Panel and maxed out each circuit to its full 20 amps each [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you would only have 24,000 watts available in power.

So, both Main Service Panels were rated for 200 Amps maximum.  However, we can utilize the power much better with 240 Volts instead of 120 Volts.  Does this make sense now?

notlist3d, is right...

It sounds like you need an electrician.  Trust me on what I'm saying about available watts regarding 240 Volt verses 120 Volt.  Your Main Service Panel is rated in Amps and Volts.  It's limited for 120V/240V [Either can be used] and it is more than likely limited to 200 amps REGARDLESS of what voltage (120V or 240V) for your circuits in the home.

I agree with this statement to a point, but I believe the 200AMP main service is related per pole and not total - So if you approach 200A on either pole you will trip the breaker.
If you divide the 120V services up between the poles equally, end result would be the same with 48000 Watt capacity.

I know from experience a 200 amp main service panel is not rated for 200 amps for each pole.  I purchased enough rigs to trip the main breaker at 200 amps on both poles combined.  I was an electrician for 3 years in commercial work for Marathon Electrical Contractors.  I was taking classes at night to get my masters certification but did not take it to completion.  I've tripped my main service panel several times over the summer trying to figure out how many rigs maximum I could run on my 200 amp main service panel.  All of my PDU's are "metered."  

Trust me... I don't "believe" the 200 amp main service panel is 200 amps on each leg.  I "know" It's NOT 200 amps on each leg.  I "know" from experience.

I'm not saying this with a "tone" to be argumentative.  I'm saying this in a manner to try to educate.  That's all...

A 200 Amp Main using 10 x 240 Volt / 20 Amp 2 pole breakers with maximum draw on each 2 pole breaker would pull 48,000 watts of power at 200A/240V.  Any more than this "should" trip the main breaker.

A 200 Amp Main using 10 x 120 Volt / 20 Amp single pole breakers with maximum draw on each single pole breaker would pull 24,000 watts of power at 200A/120V.  Any more than this "should" trip the main breaker.

Also know this:  Current (Amps) is not flowing in a circuit without a load on that circuit.  Meaning, current (amps) will not flow without an appliance, light, TV, etc... actually turned on and running.  So, just because you have breakers in your main service panel that probably total up to more than than what your main breaker states is because it's highly unlikely you have more than 50% of current draw on every circuit wired to the main service panel.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
They have completed production? s7 no longer available for days
Activity: 106
Merit: 10

I'll post this to you again.  You may not have read it:

Say we had a 200 AMP Main Service Panel and every circuit was 240V circuits by using 2 pole breakers...  If every circuit was used at it's max [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you could have 10 x 20 amp / 240 Volt circuits for a total of 48,000 watts of power.

If we used 10 x 20 amp / 120 Volt circuits in a 200 amp Main Service Panel and maxed out each circuit to its full 20 amps each [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you would only have 24,000 watts available in power.

So, both Main Service Panels were rated for 200 Amps maximum.  However, we can utilize the power much better with 240 Volts instead of 120 Volts.  Does this make sense now?

notlist3d, is right...

It sounds like you need an electrician.  Trust me on what I'm saying about available watts regarding 240 Volt verses 120 Volt.  Your Main Service Panel is rated in Amps and Volts.  It's limited for 120V/240V [Either can be used] and it is more than likely limited to 200 amps REGARDLESS of what voltage (120V or 240V) for your circuits in the home.

I agree with this statement to a point, but I believe the 200AMP main service is related per pole and not total - So if you approach 200A on either pole you will trip the breaker.
If you divide the 120V services up between the poles equally, end result would be the same with 48000 Watt capacity.

legendary
Activity: 1232
Say we had a 200 AMP Main Service Panel and every circuit was 240V circuits by using 2 pole breakers...  If every circuit was used at it's max [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you could have 10 x 20 amp / 240 Volt circuits for a total of 48,000 watts of power.

So, both Main Service Panels were rated for 200 Amps maximum.  However, we can utilize the power much better with 240 Volts instead of 120 Volts.  Does this make sense now?

notlist3d, is right...

It sounds like you need an electrician.  Trust me on what I'm saying about available watts regarding 240 Volt verses 120 Volt.  Your Main Service Panel is rated in Amps and Volts.  It's limited for 120V/240V [Either can be used] and it is more than likely limited to 200 amps REGARDLESS of what voltage (120V or 240V) for your circuits in the home.

dmwardjr your right and and it all comes down to simple math. There is no magic created by using 240v vs 120v other than the use of smaller wires and a slight better efficiency and cost .
legendary
Activity: 1456
Thanks,

So what should I tell to the electrician that would come in for survey and to give out estimate first? Well, I am planning to buy another 4 X S7 in future in total 5 X S7.

I want a 5 X 220v 30 amps circuit? What about the outlet where I will be actually plugging in?

Sorry count me as a dump when it comes to power and electrician work.

IBM PSU, is this the one you are talking about http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-IBM-Bladecenter-Computer-39Y7409/dp/B00TMPPFVS

This guy is selling. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-ibm-2880w-bladecenter-h-psus-1206049  How many should I buy if I wish to have 5 x S7?

This is really interesting. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ibm-2880w-psubreakout-boards-new-package-deals-for-t9s9-a7-966135     I like the The "Pimp Daddy" Package - $650

READ MY POST ABOVE...

HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE'S SAYING.

Is your main service panel rated at 200 Amps?

When checking this be VERY CAREFUL.  Do not touch around the main breaker.  There is a heck of a lot of electricity going through the thing.  It is a little scary.  If you are not use to electrical things I cannot stress enough to be careful around main breaker.

dmwardjr has given a lot of really good info.  I'm just afraid from answers we might have someone who should not work on the box. 

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

I'll post this to you as well.  It appears you may not have read it:

Say we had a 200 AMP Main Service Panel and every circuit was 240V circuits by using 2 pole breakers...  If every circuit was used at it's max [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you could have 10 x 20 amp / 240 Volt circuits [In the form of 2 pole breakers] for a total of 48,000 watts of power.

If we took out all of the 240 Volt 2 pole 20 amp breakers and installed 10 x 20 amp single pole breakers at 120 Volts for each circuit in the same 200 amp Main Service Panel and maxed out each circuit to its full 20 amps each [Not recommended if circuits are inside walls and/or conduit], you would only have 24,000 watts available in power.

So, both Main Service Panels were rated for 200 Amps maximum and 240 Volts maximum.  However, we can utilize the available power much better with 240 Volts instead of 120 Volts.  Does this make sense now?

notlist3d, is right...

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Thanks,

So what should I tell to the electrician that would come in for survey and to give out estimate first? Well, I am planning to buy another 4 X S7 in future in total 5 X S7.

I want a 5 X 220v 30 amps circuit? What about the outlet where I will be actually plugging in?

IBM PSU, is this the one you are talking about http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-IBM-Bladecenter-Computer-39Y7409/dp/B00TMPPFVS

This guy is selling. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-ibm-2880w-bladecenter-h-psus-1206049  How many should I buy if I wish to have 5 x S7?

This is really interesting. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ibm-2880w-psubreakout-boards-new-package-deals-for-t9s9-a7-966135     I like the The "Pimp Daddy" Package - $650

READ MY POST ABOVE...

Is your main service panel rated at 200 Amps?
Activity: 514
Merit: 500
Thanks a lot guys. This does makes little sense to me. However onsite electrician will help me more with current in house board situation.

I am also considering Data center options as well. Quarter Rack with 30Amps 240V. I don't know.
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
I came across some issues with my early B1 S7. I have received it on Sep 24 but didn't fire it up until yesterday. I found that 2 of the 3 boards don't work, so sent an email to [email protected] and with their permission I took out the hashboards. Noticed that heatsinks were crooked on the 2 non-working boards and some heatsinks on the other side came off as I was pulling them. Working board's heatsink are perfectly aligned. I re-inserted the working hashboard to run it individually and left the other 2 aside. Now I don't see the second fan on miner status page even though the fan is spinning, I tried changing fan pin location without any success. The miner is running at a higher temperature 64C than my B3 (52C). Is it because I don't have the other boards the fan is not detected? Or, did I screw it up when trying to pull the boards? I noticed that the early B1 boards are somewhat shorter than the later batches (see bottom pic, 1st one is misaligned heatsinks, 2nd one B3 S7 ). It didn't rattle to indicate something is loose before I turned it on, just the 2 boards were loose when I was attaching the PCIe connectors.

Thanks,

READ MY POST ABOVE...

Well, after I am been thinking whole night about PSU to fire up S7, I have decided to call up and electrician and get a 240V dedicated circuit installed at my home for my S7 Batch 3 and APW3-12-1600-B2 PSU. Any suggestions?

You will be happy you went this route.  If you are getting a 30 amp circuit, you can have 5 x S7's on that one circuit.

A 30A 240V circuit takes 2 lines/poles of 120V 30A connections.  This would mean its using 60A of 120V.  60A at 120V would also allow for 5 x S7's.

Why pay loads of cash to change existing electrical layout if you can avoid it?  ROI is already hard enough to achieve no?

If you have a 200 AMP Main Service Panel, you are limited to 200 Amps REGARDLESS of whether it's 120 Volt or 240 Volt.  A 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit does not take away 60 Amps of 120 Volt.  A 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit has taken 30 Amps of 120 Volts [When measured in amps].  The main service panel is limited in "AMPS" not volts!  Yes, it's limited in volts in the sense that your main service panel in you home is rated for 120V/240V.  Other panels, especially for industrial use, can be rated at much higher voltages.

So, again, your main service panel is limited in amps NOT volts.  A 30A/240V circuit does not mean 60 amps worth of 120 Volt circuits have been kept from installing in the main service panel.  I will say this:  60 amps worth of 120 Volts has the same power (watts) as 30 Amps of 240 Volts.  You could have a 30 amp/120 Volt circuit.  However, it would not have as many WATTS (POWER) as a 30 amp/240 Volt circuit.  The main service panel is not limited with a measurement in watts.  It is limited with a measurement in AMPS.  Your amount of watts (power) used in the main service panel will be determined by what voltage or voltages used in the circuits wired to the main service panel.

It's my understanding that you have a 200 AMP Main, it's providing 2 lines/poles of 120V each with 200 AMP capacity service.  It is the combination of the poles that gives you 240V service.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

notlist3d, is right...

It sounds like you need an electrician.  Trust me on what I'm saying about available watts regarding 240 Volt verses 120 Volt.  Your Main Service Panel is rated in Amps and Volts.  It's limited for 120V/240V [Either can be used] and it is more than likely limited to 200 amps REGARDLESS of what voltage (120V or 240V) for your circuits in the home.
legendary
Activity: 1456

Well, after I am been thinking whole night about PSU to fire up S7, I have decided to call up and electrician and get a 240V dedicated circuit installed at my home for my S7 Batch 3 and APW3-12-1600-B2 PSU. Any suggestions?

You will be happy you went this route.  If you are getting a 30 amp circuit, you can have 5 x S7's on that one circuit.

A 30A 240V circuit takes 2 lines/poles of 120V 30A connections.  This would mean its using 60A of 120V.  60A at 120V would also allow for 5 x S7's.

Why pay loads of cash to change existing electrical layout if you can avoid it?  ROI is already hard enough to achieve no?

So you mean, I shouldn't change existing electric layout? If no, then what are my options? Contact a Datacenter and request Quarter Rack? What should I ask them in terms of POwer? 1 X 30 Amps 240V Circuit? Can I power on 5 X S7 with 5 IBM PSU's?

You  got a good answer already:

If you have a 200 AMP Main Service Panel, you are limited to 200 Amps REGARDLESS of whether it's 120 Volt or 240 Volt.  A 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit does not take away 60 Amps of 120 Volt.  A 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit has taken 30 Amps of 120 Volts [When measured in amps].  The main service panel is limited in "AMPS" not volts!  Yes, it's limited in volts in the sense that your main service panel in you home is rated for 120V/240V.  Other panels, especially for industrial use, can be rated at much higher voltages.

So, again, your main service panel is limited in amps NOT volts.  A 30A/240V circuit does not mean 60 amps worth of 120 Volt circuits have been kept from installing in the main service panel.  I will say this:  60 amps worth of 120 Volts has the same power (watts) as 30 Amps of 240 Volts.  You could have a 30 amp/120 Volt circuit.  However, it would not have as many WATTS (POWER) as a 30 amp/240 Volt circuit.  The main service panel is not limited with a measurement in watts.  It is limited with a measurement in AMPS.  Your amount of watts (power) used in the main service panel will be determined by what voltage or voltages used in the circuits wired to the main service panel.

You need to know how many amps you have in your main (this is the term for main breaker, some have sub panals where more then 1 breaker but the house should all go through the main).   You are limited to this amount of amps.   It would take a big job to go above what main is.

From what you are saying I highly suggest you get a electrician to come help.  As I hate to send you to a electrical box.

A 30A 240V circuit takes 2 lines/poles of 120V 30A connections.  This would mean its using 60A of 120V.  60A at 120V would also allow for 5 x S7's.

Why pay loads of cash to change existing electrical layout if you can avoid it?  ROI is already hard enough to achieve no?

So you mean, I shouldn't change existing electric layout? If no, then what are my options? Contact a Datacenter and request Quarter Rack? What should I ask them in terms of POwer? 1 X 30 Amps 240V Circuit? Can I power on 5 X S7 with 5 IBM PSU's?
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Thanks,

READ MY POST ABOVE...

Thanks,

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

A 30A 240V circuit takes 2 lines/poles of 120V 30A connections.  This would mean its using 60A of 120V.  60A at 120V would also allow for 5 x S7's.

Why pay loads of cash to change existing electrical layout if you can avoid it?  ROI is already hard enough to achieve no?

If you have a 200 AMP Main Service Panel, you are limited to 200 Amps REGARDLESS of whether it's 120 Volt or 240 Volt.  A 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit does not take away 60 Amps of 120 Volt.  A 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit has taken 30 Amps of 120 Volts [When measured in amps].  The main service panel is limited in "AMPS" not volts!  Yes, it's limited in volts in the sense that your main service panel in you home is rated for 120V/240V.  Other panels, especially for industrial use, can be rated at much higher voltages.

So, again, your main service panel is limited in amps NOT volts.  A 30A/240V circuit does not mean 60 amps worth of 120 Volt circuits have been kept from installing in the main service panel.  I will say this:  60 amps worth of 120 Volts has the same power (watts) as 30 Amps of 240 Volts.  You could have a 30 amp/120 Volt circuit.  However, it would not have as many WATTS (POWER) as a 30 amp/240 Volt circuit.  The main service panel is not limited with a measurement in watts.  It is limited with a measurement in AMPS.  Your amount of watts (power) used in the main service panel will be determined by what voltage or voltages used in the circuits wired to the main service panel.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

You will be happy you went this route.  If you are getting a 30 amp circuit, you can have 5 x S7's on that one circuit.  I still like the IBM 2880W PSU's with J4bberwock breakout boards and 3 feet PCI-e cords made by J4bberwock for the breakout boards.  The IBM 2880W PSU's can be purchased used for $60 to $75 quite easily.  The breakout boards can be had for $55 to $65.  The 3 feet cords can be had for $3.25 each + shipping.  So, with one PSU, you can quite easily power 2.5 x S7's versus 1 x S7 with the 1600 watt PSU.

If you are curious about the size of this PSU, here is a link to see my hand on the PSU as a reference for size:  https://i.imgur.com/n6peQ8q.jpg

Another photo with my hand for thickness of the PSU and another with the PSU connected to two S7's with the 3 feet cords (16 AWG) purchased from J4bberwock:  http://imgur.com/a/kRUGv
Jump to: