Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 379. (Read 527816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
There seem to be many smart people in this forum.  Can someone verify my thoughts?

Situation 1:
I would like to confirm this: I have many 750W Platinum PSUs and would like to use 3 750W PSUs (one for each hashboard) to run 1 S7.  I do realize that it would only take a 500W PSU, but I have 750W PSUs.

Situation 2:
Next: there are 3 hashboards at 400W each making the total for ~1210W.  Utilizing VA=W, this would come to 3.6A each hashboard x 3 hashboards = 10.8A for the entire S7.  This would keep it under the 80% utilization of a 15A circuit.  Does this sound correct?

you should be fine with both 1 and 2.

a 15 amp circuit should be able to do 1500 watts 24/7/365

You just have to remember that a lot of 15A circuits in homes are wired to multiple outlets and/or lights.  Make sure you know which outlets are on the same circuit you use.

If you had a good electrician they write inside the panel what each breaker goes to.   It will give you a pretty good idea of where it goes.  Lights these days don't take up much power so I would not be to worried about them.

If you don't have inside your electric panel a diagram with what breaker goes where I suggest doing it.  You can easily do it and see what each one turns off.  (Yes you need to be safe and if you don't know about electricity don't do this).  

It may sound dumb but if you are using a surge protector try 2 of them and split load or at least a different one.  I had one that S4 (approx 1400 watts) that surge protector liked to trip.   It was solved by switching surge protectors. 
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
There seem to be many smart people in this forum.  Can someone verify my thoughts?

Situation 1:
I would like to confirm this: I have many 750W Platinum PSUs and would like to use 3 750W PSUs (one for each hashboard) to run 1 S7.  I do realize that it would only take a 500W PSU, but I have 750W PSUs.

Situation 2:
Next: there are 3 hashboards at 400W each making the total for ~1210W.  Utilizing VA=W, this would come to 3.6A each hashboard x 3 hashboards = 10.8A for the entire S7.  This would keep it under the 80% utilization of a 15A circuit.  Does this sound correct?

aren't we suppose to derate by 20% or so (to 12A) for 24/7 use.
12A X110v=1320W
12AX120V=1440W
both safely above 1210W, I agree.
I was running one outlet for months at ~1350W with nothing else on the circuit.
It was OK, but i got significant browning of the outlet.

I'd replace that outlet and would check the plug if I were you. Something there might be not making proper contact.

80% is very safe ASSUMING all wiring is in top shape, ambient temperatures are reasonable (not always the case with mining), and common sense is used.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

Situation 1:

Situation 2:

You just have to remember that a lot of 15A circuits in homes are wired to multiple outlets and/or lights.  Make sure you know which outlets are on the same circuit you use.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

Situation 1:

Situation 2:

aren't we suppose to derate by 20% or so (to 12A) for 24/7 use.
12A X110v=1320W
12AX120V=1440W
both safely above 1210W, I agree.
I was running one outlet for months at ~1350W with nothing else on the circuit.
It was OK, but i got significant browning of the outlet.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
OK, just made one last RoI calculation estimate, and it appears there is no way I'll ever get RoI on a S7.
 (my move plans took a bit of a hit, looking like next summer now instead of the end of Nov I was originally aiming for).

S7 is a vastly better product, but unless you have VERY cheap electric you won't RoI an S7 unless bitcoin price jumps a LOT sometime in the next 6-8 months, or difficulty increased flatten back out to even LESS than the 1.6% they averaged during the first half of this year about immediately.

This is not true.

It is. Do the bloody calculation. Don't forget to add in cost of power supply(ies), don't ignore difficulty increase (I assumed 3% but that seems to be VERY OPTIMISTIC based on diff increases since Bitmain started the "Used S5 sales" that appear to have been driven by them replacing S5 hash power with early production S7s for Hashnest), and figure the 6.7 cent per KWH I used as my incrimental cost for electric, which is pretty bloody cheap in and of itself.

I haven't seen S7s on DHGate yet, but I'm sure Bitmain will add them to the store shortly if they haven't done so already.

S7 coupons

why are you selling them when you got them for free

Why sell them? Because at least this way I get SOMETHING out of them. I wasn't going to be able to put the $$$$/Bitcoin together to get an S7 before they expired anyway, and I didn't get them "for free" anyway, I got them because I bought a couple of those overpriced "Used S5" units largely BECAUSE I was figuring on getting at least some sort of payback via coupon for the next gen unit per Bitcoin's announcement about coupons.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Currently selling 2 100 dollar coupons - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/s7-100-dollar-coupon-1171394  SOLD

I have given half of mine away for free, even one that was likely sold after.   So selling these two to go twords my lotto machine build.  They were not really "free" as I paid around 3k for S5+ miner, PSU's, and Shipping.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Situation 1:

Situation 2:

Activity: 868
we should have a big earthquake in china and it destroys all those giant mining farms then things will be much better who cares about human life's you rich guys don't.

Dude you got issues. Maybe you should have saved up some of those coins from the past and you wouldn't be bitching so much now.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
we should have a big earthquake in china and it destroys all those giant mining farms then things will be much better who cares about human life's you rich guys don't.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Just a note on making purchases of the S7: you know of the option to buy directly from Bitmain, but did you know of the option of purchasing through DHgate?  They may not have them available yet, but through this distribution method you can still purchase from Bitmain and have the option of using a credit card.  I made quite a few purchased through this method and have had very good results.  The one downside is that they take about a week longer to get to you.
legendary
Mine for a Bit
OK, just made one last RoI calculation estimate, and it appears there is no way I'll ever get RoI on a S7.
 (my move plans took a bit of a hit, looking like next summer now instead of the end of Nov I was originally aiming for).

I have 2 $100 coupons available, .1 BTC each or best offer.

why are you selling them when you got them for free no disrespect.

Do you really believe that Bitmain  provides S7 coupons for free ?

Bitmain gave me my coupons for free.  I used all of them already.

You have not bought  from them before and got S7 coupons?
For their " free"   I've already paid the 67 euros, to send back to China two S5+  hashing boards.
Probably I will have to pay again "free" if new incoming with 20% VAT  of the declared value.

Sorry about that!  I have made many purchases from Bitmain, but have been unfortunate to have had repairs expenses in shipping.  
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

Bitmain gave me my coupons for free.  I used all of them already.

You have not bought  from them before and got S7 coupons?
For their " free"   I've already paid the 67 euros, to send back to China two S5+  hashing boards.
Probably I will have to pay again "free" if new incoming with 20% VAT  of the declared value.
legendary

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

legendary

S7 is a vastly better product, but unless you have VERY cheap electric you won't RoI an S7 unless bitcoin price jumps a LOT sometime in the next 6-8 months, or difficulty increased flatten back out to even LESS than the 1.6% they averaged during the first half of this year about immediately.

This is not true.
legendary

legendary
Both difficulty and global hash rate are rising... So, i think there are some new miners somewhere... and if Bitfury  (or anyone) releases a x20 times more efficient miner, the actual miners will be obsolet on next day...  Huh

It takes TIME to build and deploy new hardware. Won't happen in a month, might happen in 3-5 *IF* the efficiency gain was actually in the 5x they're CLAIMING over the now current generation gear - and even then some of the current gen might still be profitable for a while for some situations, like "wintertime space heating" or "free electric" like even the original ASIC gear is now.

I suspect the last couple of diff increases have been fed mostly by (1) Bitmain making S7s to swap in place for their own farm S5s, then (2) those S5's being sold as "used" and being brought online, more than the fairly FEW sales of the S5+ they had. I find in interesting that the "available" PICMAC contracts are still at 30k, even with quite a few thousand having been sold....

Next: there are 3 hashboards at 400W each making the total for ~1210W.

Not quite right. The hashboards eat less than that, then the PS (which is quoted as 93% efficiency) adds a little to the load. *IF* you are using a PS with the same efficiency, then your calculation would be correct and the final current draw from a 110V circuit would be in the ballpark you cite (exact amount would depend on the voltage at the input to YOUR powersupply, 117 VAC is a NOMINAL voltage it can commonly range 110-120 volts and sometimes down to 100ish).

In any event, any combination of Gold or better efficiency power supplies running a single S7 and nothing else should easily stay under 12A total current draw.

Unless your ambient tempertature is VERY high, you'll have plenty of reserve on a common 15 Amp US "117 VAC" outlet - I forget offhand but I think the National Electric Code cites current capasities at something like 50c before requiring derating, but would have to go back and reread it to be sure.

When S7 release it has more than 12 months BEP (include tax)

Actually, it's BEP per your stated method of calculation of the S7 at release was a little over 8 months, NOT 1 year.
 I came up with an estimate that it would be 4 BTC before release based on a 250 day BEP, but that was assuming 2 hash boards 2 strings and therefore a little less than half the TH at a little less than half the power at a BTC price when I made the estimate of a hair more than the release date - given the actual figures, it should have been released at more like 8.5 BTC for a 250 day BEP. (Bitmain appears to assume appx. 10 cent / KWH on their version of your BEP calculation).

I have ZERO CLUE where you are comming up with that "1 year" figure for it, that's not even close given your base assumptions on the calculation unless your electric rate used is quite a bit HIGHER than 10 cents / KWH.

fits the economic theory-which monopolist ever reduced prices?

Standard Oil did quite a few times in many circumstances during it's "monopolistic" days.

I am surprised that there is no second chinese company at par with BM

Lktec actually announced THEIR upcomming 5TH miner before the S7 or the BM1385 was announced.
 On the other hand, it seems that a lot of the folks that were part of the last 2 gens of ASIC competition have decided to quit selling to end users.
 In some cases like KnC, NO BIG LOSS. In others, sad but not suprising as Bitcoin Mining has hit the big times and greatly gone industrial since then.

Welcome to the situation of the "family farmer" over the course of this past century, but like most "tech" related thing the generations are a LOT shorter and time goes by a lot faster.
 If you want to compete with the bit industrial farms, you have to be SMART and you have to play the angles, not just assume you can keep going like Granddad did and still make a living with inefficient methodology.
legendary
Mine for a Bit

Situation 1:

Situation 2:
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
To expensive, need more disc...

When S2 release it has less than 3 month BEP (include tax)
When S3 release it has less than 6 month BEP (include tax)
When S5 release it has less than 9 month BEP (include tax)

*All without incr of diff

What is BEP???

Before Earning Profit.

I dont know if you joking but its quite right lol

To expensive, need more disc...

When S2 release it has less than 3 month BEP (include tax)
When S3 release it has less than 6 month BEP (include tax)
When S5 release it has less than 9 month BEP (include tax)

*All without incr of diff

fits the economic theory-which monopolist ever reduced prices?
competition is needed, but is sorely lacking
I am surprised that there is no second chinese company at par with BM, not even considering US or Europe.
AM is gone, others seem to be half as organized and "internalionalized" as BM.

AGREED
Its expensive, but nobody does better right now...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Remember this is done to keep bitcoin from running out.

?!

The conspiracy sub-forums are that way ----->
Jump to: