Pages:
Author

Topic: AntMiner S9 rampant speculation thread, have to be quick though - page 8. (Read 12633 times)

Activity: 156
Merit: 100
Can I eat a Bitcoin?
I'm going to take a long shot of 8Th/s and a starting price of close to $2,000.

If not 8Th/s Then maybe something like 10Th/s and costing around BTC4.5-5 possibly 6 depending on the power efficiency
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'

I still think it will be in the next week or so

End of May

I am with the both of you!  End of May.

They are starting to ship the last batch of S7s on May 23. I would think it's unlikely to have S9 available at the same time (logistically) and probably they wouldn't want an announcement to affect S7 sales unless that last batch sells out sooner.

well no one knows how many s-7s they have left

this is one of their big holding addresses

https://blockchain.info/address/1KwA4fS4uVuCNjCtMivE7m5ATbv93UZg8V

shows about 130 s-7's sold from 5-11 to now
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

End of May

I am with the both of you!  End of May.

They are starting to ship the last batch of S7s on May 23. I would think it's unlikely to have S9 available at the same time (logistically) and probably they wouldn't want an announcement to affect S7 sales unless that last batch sells out sooner.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit

End of May

I am with the both of you!  End of May.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

End of May
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
summer to autumn is my opinion.
and not a huge improvement over s7
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Please read this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1472058.new#new

THere is no ETA on Ant S9 release to public!

Activity: 1498
Merit: 614
Liable for what i say, not for what you understand
Please read this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1472058.new#new

THere is no ETA on Ant S9 release to public!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
But all of you missed the IMPORTANT part of that post.

Is that picture really Iz, or is it just a picture of some random pretty lady?

9-)

BitMain doesn't care about maxing efficiency on their chips - never has. They want to max their profits, so their recent batches with fewer chips per miner actually make THEM more money, as long as they can sell enough of them.

I was VERY suprised when the initial batches did NOT come out running the BM1385 at .8 volts per chip or close, they actually set them at the mid-point (more or less) of the specified operating range.
 Later batches corrected that "oversight", or they might have figured out that the chip actually does NOT work reliably at the lower voltage figures of it's specs in a real-world string situation....
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
Ya I guess I just dont really look at it from the home mining side as there is no profit to be had that way. Noise, high electric costs, and limited incoming power all to me scream "dont bother" at home.
legendary

again can they do a smaller unit for those that don't want to wast 1300w of electricity

something with the same hash of the s7 but half the consumption would be great, i would maintain my consumption in the 600-700 range for now

I am confused. How is it a waste of 1300 watts? The wattage used is directly related to the hashing speed. Having a smaller slower miner doesnt make sense to me. If they are smaller it just means you need more of them to hash at the same speed as a larger unit would run at. The whole point of running the miners is to make a profit and breaking them down into smaller units will increase operating costs.

I believe use 1300 watts for mining  would be more what he means.

He could be in a space that has 5 to 6 kwatts of power  lets say a small apartment.
He wants to mine in house  with 600 to 700 watts, 1300 watts.

I found that to mine in my home both s-7 and s-5 need to be down clocked due to sound issues.
I have the power with 2 added 240 volt circuits but the noise is high.

Aslo he could eth coin mine and at the moment  it is a better deal.  So spending power on an s-9 or an eth rig  may make him think he wasted power mining the s-9 since eth coin pays better.

I now spend 975 watts in house on an avalon6 and 1400 watts in house on eth coins.

When summer power price starts on June 1 I will turn the avalon 6 off. As it will no longer pay for power cost.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560

again can they do a smaller unit for those that don't want to wast 1300w of electricity

something with the same hash of the s7 but half the consumption would be great, i would maintain my consumption in the 600-700 range for now

I am confused. How is it a waste of 1300 watts? The wattage used is directly related to the hashing speed. Having a smaller slower miner doesnt make sense to me. If they are smaller it just means you need more of them to hash at the same speed as a larger unit would run at. The whole point of running the miners is to make a profit and breaking them down into smaller units will increase operating costs.

legendary
The last 600W miner that Bitmain supplied was the S5. They haven't tried to do some kind of S7-  or "S7 lite". I think they have lost interest in "down scaling" their miners. I'd love to be proven wrong.  Smiley
  yeah  I would like a rack setup   with spots for 4 s-9's  and 2 bitmain psus  each use 700 watts

So you buy a

1 rack
 1 s-9    5th using 700 watts
 1 psu   

1 rack
 2 s-9  10 th using 1400 watts
 1 psu

1 rack
 3 s-9  15 th using 2100 watts
 2 psu

1 rack
 4 s-9 20 th using 2800 watts
 2 psu
alh
legendary
Activity: 1844
Merit: 1050
The last 600W miner that Bitmain supplied was the S5. They haven't tried to do some kind of S7-  or "S7 lite". I think they have lost interest in "down scaling" their miners. I'd love to be proven wrong.  Smiley
legendary
Guesses on S9 specs?  9TH/s ~ 1,300 watts ~ $2,200

or more realistically 8TH/s ~ 1,350 watts ~ $1,599

but if they do sell a 600 watt miner it would hurt their psu sales.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
Guesses on S9 specs?  9TH/s ~ 1,300 watts ~ $2,200

or more realistically 8TH/s ~ 1,350 watts ~ $1,599

legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
well  they do not want to toss all their psu's away.

Agreed. But I would add that they probably don't want to release a design that would force any significant changes to their existing data center infrastructure.

Therefore the S9 will likely be a drop-in replacement for the S7. In addition to not overtaxing their existing PSUs and not requiring new cabling, it will likely be the same form factor. If true, that would be good news for those of us who already have a PSU infrastructure geared towards S7s.

I think the same was said about S5 and S7 yet both miners ended up significantly different from their predecessors. The only constraint now is that they are approaching the limit of 15A household circuits in North America (~1450W or so) if they care about that.

You could be right. But Bitmain is a huge consumer of its own products. I doubt they'd release a product that causes themselves an expensive infrastructure reset. More likely would be that they will evolve from their current PSUs and data center power capacity to something new over time.

I have no doubt that Bitmain will try to offer sales in May so that they can cut BW off at the pass. I think that BW said that they won't offer their 14 nm miners till June. But I wouldn't be surprised if that slips past the halving, well after they've sucked out all the sweet pre-halving difficulty that they can.

Regardless, BW's publicly announced plans offer Bitmain another opportunity to pounce and conquer, if they can execute well. Not clear if they will compete on efficiency or cost. Although I suspect that Bitmain doesn't have a smaller nanometer process ready to go. That would suggest that probably trying for another efficiency gain with the existing process, as they did with the S7.

This would further suggest that they can dramatically undercut BW's prices and still be profitable, so it might be wise to not buy the first batch of S9s (as if it's ever a good idea to be the first penguin off the ice flow in this market; my B1 S7s definitely got eaten by the killer whale called "difficulty").

The main open questions are how efficient will the S9 actually be, and what will it cost? Although whatever it costs, it will be too much Wink

I wonder if the S9 is really going to be a 14-16nm miner. Can Bitmain attempt to squeeze some efficiency out of their current chips? According to the BM1385 datasheet power consumption can down by about 30% with undervolting.

That really is the big question. On the one hand, I'd love to see a smaller process chip make it to market. On the other hand, no one has really done this.

Bitfury hasn't delivered anything. BW seems close, but since they've been consuming their own products and not offering them for sale, no one outside of their company really knows what they have. All we know is what their press releases say.

If Bitmain has 14-16nm chip based miner for sale before the end of this month, they'll be the first company in the world to pull this off.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
If they take orders on May 22  the soonest it get to usa is June 10th

How do you figure that? I mean if it's immediate delivery then it would get there within a week, but if it's a pre-order then it can be any lead time, about a month or more based on past performance (e.g. S3 and S7).

well  they do not want to toss all their psu's away.

Agreed. But I would add that they probably don't want to release a design that would force any significant changes to their existing data center infrastructure.

Therefore the S9 will likely be a drop-in replacement for the S7. In addition to not overtaxing their existing PSUs and not requiring new cabling, it will likely be the same form factor. If true, that would be good news for those of us who already have a PSU infrastructure geared towards S7s.

I think the same was said about S5 and S7 yet both miners ended up significantly different from their predecessors. The only constraint now is that they are approaching the limit of 15A household circuits in North America (~1450W or so) if they care about that.

I have no doubt that Bitmain will try to offer sales in May so that they can cut BW off at the pass. I think that BW said that they won't offer their 14 nm miners till June. But I wouldn't be surprised if that slips past the halving, well after they've sucked out all the sweet pre-halving difficulty that they can.

Regardless, BW's publicly announced plans offer Bitmain another opportunity to pounce and conquer, if they can execute well. Not clear if they will compete on efficiency or cost. Although I suspect that Bitmain doesn't have a smaller nanometer process ready to go. That would suggest that probably trying for another efficiency gain with the existing process, as they did with the S7.

This would further suggest that they can dramatically undercut BW's prices and still be profitable, so it might be wise to not buy the first batch of S9s (as if it's ever a good idea to be the first penguin off the ice flow in this market; my B1 S7s definitely got eaten by the killer whale called "difficulty").

The main open questions are how efficient will the S9 actually be, and what will it cost? Although whatever it costs, it will be too much Wink

I wonder if the S9 is really going to be a 14-16nm miner. Can Bitmain attempt to squeeze some efficiency out of their current chips? According to the BM1385 datasheet power consumption can go down by about 30% with undervolting.
legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
well  they do not want to toss all their psu's away.

legendary
I would have to agree with OgNasty on the release date due to this msg:

"2016-05-11 00:52:07
Hi ,

thank you for your message.

New miner will be S9, it will be launched in 10 days, please check our main webpage for updates.

Best Regards,
Sharif
Sales and Business Development,
Mobile: +86 13264017056
"One small machine is changing the World" "

S7 was "launched" in August and I got my Batch 1 in October (some lucky buyers got theirs in September).

I doubt the S9 will be available for immediate delivery.
If they take orders on May 22  the soonest it get to usa is June 10th gives you about 5 weeks using it before the ½ ing sweeps in and bitch slaps us miners.
Pages:
Jump to: