Pages:
Author

Topic: Are the Nvidia 3000 Series the BEST GPUs for MINING EVER?! RTX 3070, 3080, 3090 - page 3. (Read 7593 times)

legendary
Activity: 1510
Merit: 1003
rumours 3070ti to have 320 bit gddr6x 8gb (like 3080) and 3080 super to have 384 bit gddr6x (like 3090). Any thoughts?  Huh Grin
Activity: 145
Merit: 12
Anyone else thinking of dumping hardware at these prices? I've got a modest farm of around 7-8 GH/s and once I saw RX 580's break $200 I started listing them on ebay. I've sold around 30-40 so far atleast between $200, 225, and 250. I see new ones sold by Best Buy for $279.99 on ebay so I could see getting up around there but I can't imagine going much higher. Not to mention my cards are all unbranded chinese "Ethecoin" manufactured.

I just figured at $200+ you can flip 2 x 580's into 1 x 3060Ti for the same hash at half the power consumption when stock comes available within the next few months (hopefully?). I was thinking I could sit on the cash for a few months but if it's any longer it is probably smarter to just keep the cards with ROI currently at 6-7 months. Any one else got opinions on selling RX 580 8GB's at $225-250+ and or predictions on when RTX 30xx series stock will lighten up?
That's a decent farm you've got! How many GPUs? What's your ETH payout per week?

I have 1.4 GH/s and my payout last week was around .642 ETH.

You might have to wait a while to get replacement GPU cards. And how much longer can you mine ETH?

I am also tempted to get rid of my cards but they are heating the house. I don't want to wait too long though because GPU stock could be replenished and then used prices will drop accordingly.

I have a few questions:

1. Did you reflash the RX580 cards to stock when you sold them?
2. Which shipping carrier do you use?
3. Are you advertising the GPUs as being used for mining?
4. Are you listing them in bulk? Example: 20 available?
5. How much is Ebay getting as commission?
6. Any dishonest buyers claiming the cards are not working? I heard that EBAY usually sides with the buyer.

I might try Facebook Marketplace instead.

Let me know.

Thanks!

I actually mined into Bitcoin not ETH direct and have sold most of it off every month. Much easier on accounting and the sanity (I had start-up costs to pay; my electrician just cashed a 5k check for my 3ph infrastructure). I also sold off a good chunk around 10k BTC/USD so I don't really have reserves but am comforted in that I won't lose my gear during a flash crash either. Mining is sort of my hedge/safety net in the crypto space when compared to margin trading.

In any case here are the answers to your questions:

1) No I keep them flashed; but I usually run a stress test through 3dMark TimeSpy to make sure it can handle gaming loads as well (sometimes I omit this if selling bulk to a miner, knowing they were pulled from my deployment but I make sure to if going to a gamer.)
2) I ship through USPS Priority Mail
3) I am unabashedly advertising them as mining cards; "Mining" is in my username and I mention that they are already flashed and ready to go and post a hashrate screenshot in my listing.
4) I am listing them in batches of 12-20 yes. 10 just sold @ 250 this morning; averaging 2-10 a day in sales lately.
5) Ebay normally takes 10% commission and paypal takes 3.5% or so. I pay $30/month for an Ebay Store Subscription which knocks down the fee category for certain items. For GPUs it brings it down to 6.5% from 10% commission. Whether the $30/month is worth saving 3.5% on your gross revenue depends on your volume. For me it was obvious.
6) I have had a return or two; it seemed like buyers remorse but the guy said he "didn't have enough power or CPU" for it to work. Not sure if user error or BIOS issue but it worked when I got it back. Paypal will usually side with the buyer yes. You are welcome to record down serial numbers.

Thanks for the feedback.

I mined Ethereum mostly and for a short period zcash. Glad I stopped with zcash because it has gone nowhere. I never converted anything to cash. Fortunately I was able to fund the equipment and electrical out of pocket. The crypto prices were too depressed later in 2018 - present for me to have a motivation to convert to cash. My mindset is I'd rather hold crypto and see it go to zero than sell at a lower price and see it go to the moon. I also did not bother trading much though I could have had significant gains if I knew when to buy and sell. The thing is it is easy in hindsight to see it but you just never know which way things will go. A lot of luck is involved imo.
Activity: 68
Merit: 6
Anyone else thinking of dumping hardware at these prices? I've got a modest farm of around 7-8 GH/s and once I saw RX 580's break $200 I started listing them on ebay. I've sold around 30-40 so far atleast between $200, 225, and 250. I see new ones sold by Best Buy for $279.99 on ebay so I could see getting up around there but I can't imagine going much higher. Not to mention my cards are all unbranded chinese "Ethecoin" manufactured.

I just figured at $200+ you can flip 2 x 580's into 1 x 3060Ti for the same hash at half the power consumption when stock comes available within the next few months (hopefully?). I was thinking I could sit on the cash for a few months but if it's any longer it is probably smarter to just keep the cards with ROI currently at 6-7 months. Any one else got opinions on selling RX 580 8GB's at $225-250+ and or predictions on when RTX 30xx series stock will lighten up?

Tough call.

I could be the market for them.

we know market is hot 🥵.

How long does it stay hot?

neither of us knows.

I have a space available for 400 amps of 240 = around 80kwatts .

So do I go slow not rush to get gear from a guy like you.

Hope crash and burn. Hope for 3060ti or 3080.

or be aggressive and grab 100 cards from a guy like you.

Descisions.

I too have space for over 80kw; I've commited to a 2 year lease at my space just starting in November; so I need some volume of cards to make the rent worth it and pay for overhead etc. On one hand I would hate to find myself with a trove of used offbranded RX580's that plummet 50% in value when 30xx stock loosens up; but would also hate to find myself with an empty office for months while ETH continues to sky-rocket.

As you say nobody knows; I feel like an older person burned from the Great Depression of 2018 hiding money in the walls and under the mattress Cheesy I just know that 580's will have to be dumped sooner or later so I figured I'd hedge by starting now, with the culmination of the bull market and new generation tech.

That's a decent farm you've got! How many GPUs? What's your ETH payout per week?

You might have to wait a while to get replacement GPU cards. And how much longer can you mine ETH?

I am also tempted to get rid of my cards but they are heating the house. I don't want to wait too long though because GPU stock could be replenished and then used prices will drop accordingly.

I have a few questions:

6. Any dishonest buyers claiming the cards are not working? I heard that EBAY usually sides with the buyer.

Let me know.

Thanks!

I actually mined into Bitcoin not ETH direct and have sold most of it off every month. Much easier on accounting and the sanity (I had start-up costs to pay; my electrician just cashed a 5k check for my 3ph infrastructure). I also sold off a good chunk around 10k BTC/USD so I don't really have reserves but am comforted in that I won't lose my gear during a flash crash either. Mining is sort of my hedge/safety net in the crypto space when compared to margin trading.

In any case here are the answers to your questions:

1) No I keep them flashed; but I usually run a stress test through 3dMark TimeSpy to make sure it can handle gaming loads as well (sometimes I omit this if selling bulk to a miner, knowing they were pulled from my deployment but I make sure to if going to a gamer.)
2) I ship through USPS Priority Mail
3) I am unabashedly advertising them as mining cards; "Mining" is in my username and I mention that they are already flashed and ready to go and post a hashrate screenshot in my listing.
4) I am listing them in batches of 12-20 yes. 10 just sold @ 250 this morning; averaging 2-10 a day in sales lately.
5) Ebay normally takes 10% commission and paypal takes 3.5% or so. I pay $30/month for an Ebay Store Subscription which knocks down the fee category for certain items. For GPUs it brings it down to 6.5% from 10% commission. Whether the $30/month is worth saving 3.5% on your gross revenue depends on your volume. For me it was obvious.
6) I have had a return or two; it seemed like buyers remorse but the guy said he "didn't have enough power or CPU" for it to work. Not sure if user error or BIOS issue but it worked when I got it back. Paypal will usually side with the buyer yes. You are welcome to record down serial numbers.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
right now is a good time to sell used gpus, i would not pass this opportunity.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

Tough call.

I could be the market for them.

we know market is hot 🥵.

How long does it stay hot?

neither of us knows.

I have a space available for 400 amps of 240 = around 80kwatts .

So do I go slow not rush to get gear from a guy like you.

Hope crash and burn. Hope for 3060ti or 3080.

or be aggressive and grab 100 cards from a guy like you.

Descisions.

I have a few questions:

Let me know.

Thanks!

I have an EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

Power Limit 65%
Fan Speed 65%
Memory OC: 400 MHz
Core Clock: -100 MHz
Temperature - 50-53F (Depending on how cold it is outside)
Ethereum Hashrate: 109 mh/s
Power Usage: 275 watts

I can get it to 120-124 MH/s with more aggressive overclock and higher power limit. However I like it at these values.
Xtreme Monster
My msi is showing 215W at 99mhs . Should i assume it’s pulling 240 at the wall ?

I think so, however nvidia gpus tend to be very close to real wattage at wall. All things considered, is very important to check how much exactly cause you can calculate things up.
Activity: 124
Merit: 13
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ETH (Dagger-Hashimoto)
80%__________~255W______~80.9 MH/s_________~88.4 MH/s________2.89
70%__________~225W______~80.7 MH/s_________~87.8 MH/s________2.58
65%________~210W_____~79.8 MH/s_______~86.0 MH/s______2.44  ****
60%__________~193W______~60.2 MH/s_________~61.3 MH/s________3.06

Not bad!!!  Roll Eyes
Still power hungry when comparing to other graphic cards, this is why I still respect the old RX580 gpus, two of these card can do 64mhs with power draw of 80watts per card, that's 160 watts at 64mhs, honestly way better than this RTX3080 when mining Ethereum

A 3080 does 99-100 mh at 215-220W .

3 580’s would hit 100mh at 240w  if they really stay 80W .

How are they less power hungry than 3080’s ?

No three RX 580 will draw a little bit more watts to archive 100 MH/s than one RTX 3080. But there one very important aspect to consider, RX 580's is a LOT cheaper. That's like the most importent parameter I'm looking into when buying GPUs for mining.

Well now, no GPUs are cheap, that's why I don't buy any at the moment either. Never buy GPUs when crypto is high and demand it high for GPUs, that's really dumb!

Whats the usual retail price for rx 580’s ? 1070’s pull 30mh at 115W and u better off getting a 3080 for the consumption/mh u get from those .

3 580’s would hit 100mh at 240w  if they really stay 80W .

Polaris is never 80 watts, it says 80 or much lower, i have a polaris card that says 60w but in reality is 120w at the wall maybe because is amd? nvidia gpus seem much more closer to what the software says.

I've seen some people saying Polaris, specifically RX 580 uses 80w  Cheesy

I answered here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/looking-to-build-a-mining-rig-right-now-5305504

But again, as Metroid said, I never saw any Polaris consuming 80w, this value is only the chip power consumption, but there's more on the board, like memory and fans

RX 580 can hash 30 to 33Mhs (it's very hard to achieve 33Mhs) and uses at least 120w (with luck) or 130w usually on the wall

For comparison, I have 3080 from EVGA, hashing 98Mhs without any drop, stable 24h and using 240w at the wall exactly

With 240w on the wall you can use only 2 Polaris, and the maximum you can achieve, with excelent GPU and memory are 66Mhs

My msi is showing 215W at 99mhs . Should i assume it’s pulling 240 at the wall ?
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

3 580’s would hit 100mh at 240w  if they really stay 80W .

Polaris is never 80 watts, it says 80 or much lower, i have a polaris card that says 60w but in reality is 120w at the wall maybe because is amd? nvidia gpus seem much more closer to what the software says.

I've seen some people saying Polaris, specifically RX 580 uses 80w  Cheesy

I answered here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/looking-to-build-a-mining-rig-right-now-5305504

But again, as Metroid said, I never saw any Polaris consuming 80w, this value is only the chip power consumption, but there's more on the board, like memory and fans

RX 580 can hash 30 to 33Mhs (it's very hard to achieve 33Mhs) and uses at least 120w (with luck) or 130w usually on the wall

For comparison, I have 3080 from EVGA, hashing 98Mhs without any drop, stable 24h and using 240w at the wall exactly

With 240w on the wall you can use only 2 Polaris, and the maximum you can achieve, with excelent GPU and memory are 66Mhs
Xtreme Monster

Activity: 98

Not bad!!!  Roll Eyes
Still power hungry when comparing to other graphic cards, this is why I still respect the old RX580 gpus, two of these card can do 64mhs with power draw of 80watts per card, that's 160 watts at 64mhs, honestly way better than this RTX3080 when mining Ethereum

No three RX 580 will draw a little bit more watts to archive 100 MH/s than one RTX 3080. But there one very important aspect to consider, RX 580's is a LOT cheaper. That's like the most importent parameter I'm looking into when buying GPUs for mining.

Well now, no GPUs are cheap, that's why I don't buy any at the moment either. Never buy GPUs when crypto is high and demand it high for GPUs, that's really dumb!

Not bad!!!  Roll Eyes

[/quote]
No it's not. You can confirm if it's throttling or not in gpu-z perfcap reason.
The temps that you see are core temperature and ethash doesn't pound much on the core but is hard on memory and GDDR6X runs really hot. Nvidia has the memory temperature monitoring enabled but haven't exposed it to users.  Most likely your card is throttling itself.  Boost the fan speeds up with a custom fan curve or like other person mentioned; point a fan at back of the card.
[/quote]

Read my previous posts. It’s not thermal . Perfcap was showing pwr when it would throttle . I flashed the card with the suprim bios that pushes the pwr limit higher and now the card is running at 99-100mhs with no problems for over 2 days now .

Trio x does not thermal throttle .
Activity: 729
Merit: 114

How did you arrive at the conclusion it's not thermal throttling?
[/quote]

Cause the core clock drops to 930 mhz as soon as the memory is above +400 . Card temp hovers around 45-50c.

When a card thermal throttles it at least gets high enough to produce heat , my trio x does not even achieve that.

I experienced today my friend xc3 ultra thermal throttling and its not at all how my card behaves . His card hit 99mhs and stayed there for 5 min before throttling and crumbling down to 85 mh while temps were reaching 70C.

Pretty sure its a power limit issue . Some have fixed that by flashing the bios with a different brand bios with higher power limit .
[/quote]

No it's not. You can confirm if it's throttling or not in gpu-z perfcap reason.
The temps that you see are core temperature and ethash doesn't pound much on the core but is hard on memory and GDDR6X runs really hot. Nvidia has the memory temperature monitoring enabled but haven't exposed it to users.  Most likely your card is throttling itself.  Boost the fan speeds up with a custom fan curve or like other person mentioned; point a fan at back of the card.
Activity: 113
Merit: 4
Its more like 100 to 120 for rx 580s because they did not report all power draw
Activity: 196
Merit: 15
Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

Not bad!!!  Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: